Autopsy vs Western Bulldogs - end of an era - Rd 10, 2019

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Marleys goal saving tackle on Naughton, Jeds manic approach to winning the ground ball, McDonald running back with the flight, Polec winning contested ball, Pittard breaking 2 tackles off half back, Goldsteins dash to spoil a contest late.. these are all selfless, high intensity and switched on acts that we havnt seen all year.
The boys played as if their lives depended on it and it was all for Brad.

I wish we could see this weekly as that’s how the Cats and Pies play as they know theyre on a good thing.

Winning does that. It makes you do the impossible. The lure of success trumps all.

I hope they have the same manic approach come Friday.

Good observations Tazza. I watched the replay this morning and when the game was there to be won in the final quarter I definitely was thinking this is the hardest at the ball I'd seen us play in ages. Everybody went when it was their turn to go.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Fair enough then on King’s behalf. There’s definitely always two sides to a story and I’ve not been shy to say I’m a Brad Scott fan but that’s disappointing if he’s gone down that track if that’s true re King’s reasoning.

As for Carey, that’s a tough one given the circumstances. That’s always going to be a polarizing issue. Damned if you do damned if you don’t.
Giants acknowledged the time and advice Carey gave to them in the preparation for playing at the G on the weekend. He would have done the same for north of asked.

AdmiralBenson

All Australian
May 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good observations Tazza. I watched the replay this morning and when the game was there to be won in the final quarter I definitely was thinking this is the hardest at the ball I'd seen us play in ages. Everybody went when it was their turn to go.

Yes it was a committed effort no doubt and i think the scoreboard flattered the Dogs.

Why we don't play with that intent more often is what is the frustrating side of Saturday's win.

We can't sack a coach every week for this group to actually play like Shinboners.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
There needs to be a seperate discussion around Brad the bloke and Brad the coach. The Brad the bloke tributes probably need to go to a non football thread.

But that was a criticism of him here. I recall reading he had very little contact with the players, that doesnt appear the case.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
But that was a crirism of him here. I recall reading he had very little contact with the players, that doesnt appear the case.
Heard this weekend that he was close to the first 18 and had little to do with the rest. Don’t have first hand knowledge though.

Giants acknowledged the time and advice Carey gave to them in the preparation for playing at the G on the weekend. He would have done the same for north of asked.

Whenever I hear of Carey giving advice to players or teams I always imagine it like:

Duck - "Yeah, take it easy, focus, drag down 10 or 11 contested marks and make sure you kick straight from 50m out, you'll have a clutch of goals in no time. Also, be sure to intimidate every other player on the field with sheer presence."

Poor Schmo Players - "...errrr, yeah cool, good plan Wayne."

AdmiralBenson

All Australian
May 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's no "may" about it.

That's no excuse.

There were also lots of rusted on North people in '07 who were either....

(a) savvy enough to see through the AFL's bull****
(b) strong enough to stand and fight regardless, like Shinboners

That's why we still have a club.

The fact is, while others were standing tall in '07, Kingy folded like a house of cards. He publicly endorsed the death of the great NMFC. And no amount of justification or spin is going to change that. I couldn't give two ****s about his little spat with Brad, but I would argue that the above alone displays that the bloke is long way from being Pensky material. Nearly choked on my 2019 fixture fridge-magnet a few days ago when someone posted that he understood the ethos of the NMFC. If he did, then maybe he would have twigged that surrender isn't part of our genetic coding.

I understand an emotional and difficult time for us a club.

To suggest that anyone who supported our relocation is not a good person and weak, or a North person, for mine is unfair and incorrect.

I'm extremely glad for the outcome and we have thrived (off field) since. So the WANM action was fantastic and full credit.

Kingy is flawed no doubt. As a player he was also, but much better and tougher than Scott on field.

I will continue to place Kingy above Scott as a shinboner over Scott. You clearly disagree - that's fine.

Kingy is no genius, but Scott's pathetic brush from behind and words after, confirm to me he is not a Shinboner, and exactly what I thought of him as a player (faux tough guy).

But yes, a great post and fair points made even if we don't agree.

Certainly many got it wrong (i know numerous members who thought GC was best option, fantastic North people), but that doesn't mean they had bad intentions.

Last edited:
One just spent 10 years working at the club, the other was happy for the death of it.

Which one screams Shinboner to you?

Let’s not forget that King’s ego almost cost us a final and did cost us a game against the Saints.

Back