Autopsy vs * - Rd 6, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Aside from trying Walker as our big target forward, I can’t think of one move. We haven’t got the players. This is what happens when you finish middle of the pack for...20 years.
Middle of the road and wasting high picks on defenders who can’t cut it..
the only other move I would’ve liked to see last night is move Campbell, to the ruck and then behind the ball.
In the last four weeks, Goldy seems like the like the only player on our list capable of taking a contested mark in our forward line.

Last edited:
He was 100% right. Should have happened Avery the Dusty and Kelly chases. Hell, maybe after the 16 season.
He made the situation no better though.

I mean the bloke rewarded vfl form with allowing the player to remain in the VFL.

Begs the black hat question, was Scotts right about a whole rebuild?

And let's stick to that rebuild concept before launching into his career

Have we not commenced a rebuild ? I thought that was what we did with the player exodus in 2016? Another clean out this year and some higher draft picks will be what we need

What stood out for mine was how wide *Essendon made the ground look.

Once they won the ball back, they had their half-back runners lining up to get the ball to the open side (Saad, Mckenna, even Tippa and Fantasia worked back there) and we just couldn't go with them.

Wonder how much time opposition coaches put into JMac, Atley, Williams, Pittard?

Maybe, just maybe he and the board have decided this is a clean out year? Maybe he is playing to see who can cut the mustard in a f’ed up year? Who knows, im hoping there’s a reason to playing Campbell? And thats the only reason I can come up with

Tom Campbell's been in the AFL system since 2012. In that time he's played 45 games (last night was his 3rd in 3 years) and never played more than 9 games in a year. I'd say it was pretty evident before last night that his mustard cutting skills are limited. Whereas Hosie's skills at mustard cutting are totally unproven.

Middle of the road and wasting high picks on defender who can’t cut it..
the only other move I would’ve liked to see last night is move Campbell, to the ruck and then behind the ball.
In the last four weeks, Goldy seems like the like the only player on our list capable of taking a contested mark in our forward line.
He’s the only one winning it in the middle two.. clone him

Maybe, just maybe he and the board have decided this is a clean out year? Maybe he is playing to see who can cut the mustard in a f’ed up year? Who knows, im hoping there’s a reason to playing Campbell? And thats the only reason I can come up with
Maybe, but then Campbell is already contracted for another year, in which case, if you wanted to see 'who could play', why not Durdin? even at CHB to give him a chance, and Walker at CHF. I'm supposing that at 2-3, the coaching panel thought the season was still open, so go with the experienced player, which is what got Campbell a game last year

Tom Campbell's been in the AFL system since 2012. In that time he's played 45 games (last night was his 3rd in 3 years) and never played more than 9 games in a year. I'd say it was pretty evident before last night that his mustard cutting skills are limited. Whereas Hosie's skills at mustard cutting are totally unproven.
Talk has been Hosie was in poor shape return from Iso.. im in the same boat but surely he hasnt eaten as many pies as ahern? ... Ahern is another one too..

Ahern
Atley
MacMillan
Hall
Campbell
Frog

Have we not commenced a rebuild ? I thought that was what we did with the player exodus in 2016? Another clean out this year and some higher draft picks will be what we need

No. A team with Hall, Campbell, Atley and Macmillan all playing is not rebuilding. But a team with Hall, Campbell, Atley and Macmillan isn't challenging for finals either. Injuries are hurting us but it's pretty hard to determine what we're trying to achieve at the moment.

Mrs Marstermind and I watched 'Ghost' the other night as the Coll/Haw another game that was garbage. We're kind of in the same situation as Patrick Swayze in that we're neither in heaven or hell, but staying on earth for a stronger purpose. But instead of saving Demi Moore, we're sitting on the couch, moccies on the coffee table, durrie in one hand and a can of VB in the other watching the Collingwood/Hawthorn game. We really aren't doing anything.

You mean afte the 16 clean out? Wasn’t he told to try and win?
I mean he had a history of not rewarding VFL form. Even prior to 16.

However post 16 he didn't reward great form by Larkey for reasons known only by him despite Waite being in and out of the side.

My opinion is it was part club part job security. If he went and said we need a rebuild he probably doesn't get the Dusty extension.

I'm not really wanting to dissect Brads coaching flaws.

Rhyce is in a pretty unique situation. I think the loss of the VFL and the current injury list are hamstringing him to an extent.

The season is f***ed, we've never wanted to really lose face, so we finish mid table. We should take a real dose of medicine this year. A lot of people just ain't gonna care, because it's not really proper footy.

It is extremely depressing that for the fourth straight year, our season is done by round 6.
On available evidence, a change of President, CEO, senior coach, and assistant coaches, have done nothing to improve our on-field situation.
In recent weeks there is little to hang our hat on, and the state of our list indicates there is more pain to come.
I'm so disappointed with where we are at.
Been following North for more than 40 years.
Never been so flat about us.
Almost unwatchtable over last month. The same mistakes over and over again such as the last minute goals. The inability to have a small pressure forward have an impact. Brown failing to compete in the air. Hall burning his teammates. Atley trailing his opponent to a contest. And then to pick Campbell.
I know we have injuries but all teams have injuries, and not once in last four games have I felt like we were a winning chance.
Where's the excitement?
Simpkin and Goldstein are about it, with the odd highlight from Zurhaar. Other than that why would you watch us. Tragics like us on here will but anyone else won't bother.
I remember a couple of years under Laidley where we just hung on game after game, hoping to snatch a win, and never genuinely looking a chance. This feels like that again.
Sadly we've largely been mired in mediocrity for 20 years and it continues.
If we are to bottom out, which is really what we need to rebuild the list, then we can't make mistakes like picking Campbell and playing Hall. I acknowledge that Shaw is playing several kids, something Scott always feared, but players like the two mentioned earlier must not take games off others any more.
I can't remember the last time we lost four on trot, and it's hard to see where next win comes from.
We need to play Adelaide, and it's hard to believe that's where we are at after the way we finished last year.
To cap it off my young fella is thinking of a switch to GWS.
Just a s**t sandwich.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

20 years and it continues.
If we are to bottom out, which is really what we need to rebuild the list, then we can't make mistakes like picking Campbell and playing Hall. I acknowledge that Shaw is playing several kids, something Scott always feared, but players like the two mentioned earlier must not take games off others any more.
TBF he did pick Xerri before he put in Campbell.

We desperately need a forward with presence and niether Xerri nor Campbell are it.

Daw is close but has been found out forward before and I kinda get the conservative approach. Larkey has been injured but isn't far away now.

Wood played early and was no presence and isn't a genuine tall.

Campbell probably straightened us up a touch more than Xerri, but we're talking shades of grey.

Like clock work we'll have a late season rally to prove we're not as s**t as we could be but no where near good enough.

Been following North for more than 40 years.
Never been so flat about us.
Almost unwatchtable over last month. The same mistakes over and over again such as the last minute goals. The inability to have a small pressure forward have an impact. Brown failing to compete in the air. Hall burning his teammates. Atley trailing his opponent to a contest. And then to pick Campbell.
I know we have injuries but all teams have injuries, and not once in last four games have I felt like we were a winning chance.
Where's the excitement?
Simpkin and Goldstein are about it, with the odd highlight from Zurhaar. Other than that why would you watch us. Tragics like us on here will but anyone else won't bother.
I remember a couple of years under Laidley where we just hung on game after game, hoping to snatch a win, and never genuinely looking a chance. This feels like that again.
Sadly we've largely been mired in mediocrity for 20 years and it continues.
I can't remember the last time we lost four on trot, and it's hard to see where next win comes from.
We need to play Adelaide, and it's hard to believe that's where we are at after the way we finished last year.
To cap it off my young fella is thinking of a switch to GWS.
Just a sh*t sandwich.
Every team has injuries but they havent got their best midfielder, their captain and their best second tall forward out at the same time. Cunnington and Souve are massive outs.

Wasn’t trying to troll. I don’t see Atley as problem for North. Sure he isn’t a huge positive but for mine he’s one of the few players in that 25-28 age group that are any good on your list.
They want Atley to be Brownlow winner instead of what he is. I agree with you. He plays his role and we have a lot worse players but if he is depth or gone we will be a much better side.

That means we need another four or five experienced players.

man Walker is a sh*t truck . If he can’t mark it he’s f’ed. He’s just another plodder on our list of many plodders . But yes I’d try him fwd and then the other side of the fenxe if he’s no good there.
If you had been watching Josh closely you would realised that he has had the better of his direct opponent four weeks in a row. Only Goldstein could claim the same thing. Josh did fumble a bit last night, something that I haven't noticed during his career. If you look back at the last four matches you won't see very little fumbling

The real problem North has is that BB cannot get a kick. It's the elephant in the room. If you said he was going to be so out of form I think most would have said that North are really going to struggle. Add three goals to each of the last four matches and the season looks better.

As a cricket person I reckon he has stopped watching the ball. This is the problem that batsmen have when the have a bad run. It is the only reason I can come up with for that dropped mark, by himself, out on the wing. He's bloody good player who can win games off his own boot but he he was in his first season he would likely be dropped.

Shaw and the other coaches need to get to work.

If you had been watching Josh closely you would realised that he has had the better of his direct opponent four weeks in a row. Only Goldstein could claim the same thing. Josh did fumble a bit last night, something that I haven't noticed during his career. If you look back at the last four matches you won't see very little fumbling

The real problem North has is that BB cannot get a kick. It's the elephant in the room. If you said he was going to be so out of form I think most would have said that North are really going to struggle. Add three goals to each of the last four matches and the season looks better.

As a cricket person I reckon he has stopped watching the ball. This is the problem that batsmen have when the have a bad run. It is the only reason I can come up with for that dropped mark, by himself, out on the wing. He's bloody good player who can win games off his own boot but he he was in his first season he would likely be dropped.

Shaw and the other coaches need to get to work.
BBB has never been a stand and contest beast forward. He’s a leading forward. Bombing it on his head to “make a contest” so is can be mopped up is unsustainable. He needs space to run into, the ball needs to move side to side or it needs to come in hot and markable.

Walker isnt the worst but theres a reason he’s at his third club. Its not his physical side, its not his marking ability it his agility and his speed that makes hum undesired. He is a good back up but gets found out on the spread

Sorry for the intrusion lads, just thought I’d say you may be overreacting a tad. You guys have a LOT of key injuries, LDU, Turner and Cunners topping that.

Once you start playing like this with a full squad to choose from, then I’d start worrying.

Good luck for the season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I actually don't see it as "bottoming-out". That term sort of implies a deliberate slump to the bottom for several years in order to pool draft picks and completely rebuild. Carlton and Melbourne 'bottomed-out' and the Saints also did when they off-loaded Goddard, McEvoy and Dal Santo.

I reckon where North is at is just a natural progression to absolute mediocrity due to years of poor list management, drafting, coaching and aspiration. They're just a really ordinary footy side and, the first half of 2018 and a mini-resurgence when Rhyce took over, have been so for a long time. Now, if they traded out Cunnington or Brown, yes, they're "bottoming-out" but that's not the case....yet.

I'm attempting to paint a positive-ish picture of where North are at though. Bottoming-out has only ever remotely worked once - Hawthorn in 2004. Carlton, Melbourne and St.Kilda have all remained mired in nothingness. They can get to the draft hard this year without actually shedding anything of value off the list. They can also improve the team by consigning spuds to scratch matches on some Broadbeach paddock for 6 weeks and the team won't actually be any worse in terms of W/L. North are miles and miles off challenging for a premiership but it could happen in a few years if strong decisions are made now.

Alas, on the evidence of team selection so far this year, it seems that no one had the imagination or inclination to make these decisions until whenever the season ends, and even then as supporters we hold our breath to see what actually gets done because right now, it's nothing.

Sorry for the intrusion lads, just thought I’d say you may be overreacting a tad. You guys have a LOT of key injuries, LDU, Turner and Cunners topping that.

Once you start playing like this with a full squad to choose from, then I’d start worrying.

Good luck for the season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

oh we know! We are embarrassed by the lack if effort and an unrecognisable attacking game style. We are ropable because several players with an a abundance of experience are letting us down.

Cunnington - best contested midfielder in the comp that uses the ball smart. Take anyone thats a teams best ball winner and first user out and they are going to struggle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back