State Focus WA 2020 - Western Australia's junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the academy boys trained this morning at Laithlain. Did anyone have any observations they wish to share?

On SM-A705YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Some exciting of age talent in the group but a bit disappointing some equally good talent have missed spots for bottom age kids some of whom have not really proved themselves at colts level to date but hopefully do so this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some exciting of age talent in the group but a bit disappointing some equally good talent have missed spots for bottom age kids some of whom have not really proved themselves at colts level to date but hopefully do so this year.

Please don’t take this the wrong way.

But could you re-type that paragraph, but add in a possible missing word or two, commas and full stops.

I know this is not school or English class. But it makes it much easier for some of us “oldies” to understand.

I have a coupe of questions!
is there a requirement to have a certain amount of bottom aged boys in the state academies? and how important is academy inclusion to being selected in the U18 squad? when is the U18 squad chosen and where are they being watched at prior to this selection?
And lastly, there is a wafl colts combine coming up in middle of feb. What is the purpose of this and who gets to go? is it invite only?

is there a requirement to have a certain amount of bottom aged boys in the state academies? and how important is academy inclusion to being selected in the U18 squad? when is the U18 squad chosen and where are they being watched at prior to this selection?
And lastly, there is a wafl colts combine coming up in middle of feb. What is the purpose of this and who gets to go? is it invite only?
It’s usually about 50/50 give or take in the academies but usually morndraft age players make the champs squad. If you’re not in the state academy you have to be pretty impressive early in the year to make the champs squad. I believe all states colts, sanfl, nab league etc all have a testing day before the season starts. I guess it’s so the recruiters can track and record the players measurables before the year starts so when they are scouting they aren’t making presumptions on a particular players athletic ability. Otherwise they would have to wait until October to find out how well a player tests and that’s very late in the process.

I believe there is a minimum quota of underage players. The SA talent manager mentioned on RTTD that Schoenberg only missed out in the first intake because they were full up of top-agers, but would have been next picked if they had full freedom.
From memory of earlier discussions here, I believe WA went heavy on their underagers in the U18’s academy.

Every Colts player can attend. Certainly not by invitation

Every Colts player can attend. Certainly not by invitation
Are you sure? I heard this morning that one of the wafl clubs have invited 40 odd kids to go. Some of them are very young (from their Futures squad- 2004 born) and not every player in their current Colts squad got an invite.

Are you sure? I heard this morning that one of the wafl clubs have invited 40 odd kids to go. Some of them are very young (from their Futures squad- 2004 born) and not every player in their current Colts squad got an invite.
I can only talk to last year. But it was very much, it's on at this time, come along, no charge.
Academy players didn't test.

Ma
I can only talk to last year. But it was very much, it's on at this time, come along, no charge.
Academy players didn't test.
maybe it has changed as the academy kids from that wafl club are also on the list and it’s def invite only from that zone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ma

maybe it has changed as the academy kids from that wafl club are also on the list and it’s def invite only from that zone.

Don't quote me on this but I believe it is now capped so that clubs can't take more then 40 players along so they'll no doubt invite players at their own discretion. Its a very long day already for the athletes.

Is this any help.

There was a scratch match yesterday between East Freo futures and Clontarf. East Freo was split into two teams. Tony micale was there but only watched the first game (one of the east Freo teams V Clontarf). Standard was ok- couple of kids played well. Clontarf play a different brand of footy to wafl so it was hard to keep structures etc. no scores were kept but it was en easy win to both EF teams. As it should be as Clontarf only started training this week and had to face a second fresh EF team in the second half and ran out of legs.

Its the Colts combine this weekend at the WA Netball Centre. Should be great to see who our states top performers are.

Wonder if the WAFC will enforce the new rule where 19 years who've reached 25 caps at Colts level are no longer eligible to play colts.

Its the Colts combine this weekend at the WA Netball Centre. Should be great to see who our states top performers are.

Wonder if the WAFC will enforce the new rule where 19 years who've reached 25 caps at Colts level are no longer eligible to play colts.
Do they do biometrics at combine? Or just athletic testing?

While I find athletic testing interesting (at least for the “name” players), I’m more interested in player biometrics, to compare against their U17 measurements and end of season combine measurements.

Do they do biometrics at combine? Or just athletic testing?

Just athletic testing. They test over 350 athletes in one day and based upon last year, the day did not run very smoothly so I am sure they want to iron out the schedule before changing it.

It was interesting watching players with Athletic backgrounds. They stand out like sore thumbs.

Just athletic testing. They test over 350 athletes in one day and based upon last year, the day did not run very smoothly so I am sure they want to iron out the schedule before changing it.

It was interesting watching players with Athletic backgrounds. They stand out like sore thumbs.
That’s always the way.

Bball kids should stand out in the jumps.

any standouts from the testing yesterday.

HArd to tell. That many kids in one room! Unless you knew who to look for, it was hard to see. There were two scouts there- one from Sydney and one from Gold Coast. There were a lot of little brothers there (Sharp, Warner, Cripps are the I knew) One of the Walker twins (Brandon I think) looked very athetically gifted. It was done club by club and from what I could see, only the clubs were interested and recorded the results of their own players. Such a vast range of ages. 2001 down to 2004. It’s not really a measure of how they can play footy. Futures starts this weekend.

EF have a number of good Gero youngsters at present about to enter the colts ranks...McVee, Wright, Sandy, Bartlett, Hagan and Jacques....plus older colts boys in Carroll, Dann, Curley and Paholski already in the system. Is Cripps an Aquinas boy like his brother Paddy?....

I don't think any of the results get released, not unless you ask the athlete themselves or if you are affiliated with a club. There was a decent number of keen observers so it would have been nice to see results posted inside the stadium.

I saw that Joel Western ran a 2.88 20m Sprint and overheard that someone managed to get to 22 in the Yoyo.

I think there was also a lot more scouts in attendance, just a lot more casual than Rod Willet (GC) and the Sydney scout.

Last year the WAFC released a brief article about the day but the Athletes mentioned had very average results, don't know why they were even mentioned.

Last edited:
EF have a number of good Gero youngsters at present about to enter the colts ranks...McVee, Wright, Sandy, Bartlett, Hagan and Jacques....plus older colts boys in Carroll, Dann, Curley and Paholski already in the system. Is Cripps an Aquinas boy like his brother Paddy?....
Hagan is futures age group (2004) but recovering from surgery so not playing futures. Like other Futures kids, might get a chance to train and potentially play some colts games after the futures series have wrapped up. There are no 2004 kids training with Colts at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back