State Focus WA 2020 - Western Australia's junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
EF have a number of good Gero youngsters at present about to enter the colts ranks...McVee, Wright, Sandy, Bartlett, Hagan and Jacques....plus older colts boys in Carroll, Dann, Curley and Paholski already in the system. Is Cripps an Aquinas boy like his brother Paddy?....
Yes at AC. 198cm...2002 born...

I don't think any of the results get released, not unless you ask the athlete themselves or if you are affiliated with a club. There was a decent number of keen observers so it would have been nice to see results posted inside the stadium.

I saw that Joel Western ran a 2.88 20m Sprint and overheard that someone managed to get to 22 in the Yoyo.

I think there was also a lot more scouts in attendance, just a lot more casual than Rod Willet (GC) and the Sydney scout.

Last year the WAFC released a brief article about the day but the Athletes mentioned had very average results, don't know why they were even mentioned.
There were a handful of kids who got 22 in the yo-yo from what I could see. Pretty decent effort but the yo-yo build up can differ from test to test (as in the build up level they go through) so I’m not sure you can effectively compare this result to other yo-yo’s unless you are certain of the build up levels? The speed of 22 is still the same but the time and levels taken to get there can bring on fatigue more quickly. Or something like that!

There were a handful of kids who got 22 in the yo-yo from what I could see. Pretty decent effort but the yo-yo build up can differ from test to test (as in the build up level they go through) so I’m not sure you can effectively compare this result to other yo-yo’s unless you are certain of the build up levels? The speed of 22 is still the same but the time and levels taken to get there can bring on fatigue more quickly. Or something like that!

Pretty impressive results then given that none of last years national draftees got to 22 and they train pretty hard to prime themselves for the combine!

Pretty impressive results then given that none of last years national draftees got to 22 and they train pretty hard to prime themselves for the combine!
Yes and considering that three kids broke the 2k TT record, there were some decent runners at last years combine. So my theory is the build up phase on Sunday must have been very short. They skipped many levels - they were at level 19 on their third run. The yo-yo test is all about fatigue and how it affects your speed so getting to level 19 after three runs is probably not allowing fatigue to occur as quickly. If they had gone through all the levels, by the time they got to level 19 or 20 kids would have been exhausted and would be pulling out. Hardly any kid pulled out at 19- 95% got into level 20 so I don’t think that is comparable to the National combine.

Yes and considering that three kids broke the 2k TT record, there were some decent runners at last years combine. So my theory is the build up phase on Sunday must have been very short. They skipped many levels - they were at level 19 on their third run. The yo-yo test is all about fatigue and how it affects your speed so getting to level 19 after three runs is probably not allowing fatigue to occur as quickly. If they had gone through all the levels, by the time they got to level 19 or 20 kids would have been exhausted and would be pulling out. Hardly any kid pulled out at 19- 95% got into level 20 so I don’t think that is comparable to the National combine.

Oh I understand what you are saying now. I assumed it was standardized across the country like all the other events? Or else, how else could they genuinely compare players between states?

Oh I understand what you are saying now. I assumed it was standardized across the country like all the other events? Or else, how else could they genuinely compare players between states?
I am pretty sure you can set up a yo-yo anyway you want. I have seen younger female athletes start at level 5. On Sunday they started at level 11, did one run and then straight to 15, did one and then I think one or two in the 18 and then straight to 19 where they did all the level 19 levels.
I would think the state and national combines would follow the same set up so they can be comparable but I would hazard a guess that Sunday’s can’t be compared to anything.so again, the results only mean anything to the clubs to compare their own kids. The only people writing down any results were the club officials. I think WAFL
provide the testers and the venue and the clubs can choose or invite their 40 kids and use the results however they see fit.

So
That's the Yo-Yo IR1 for lower level athletes.

The AFL and WAFL use the Yo-Yo IR2.
So that makes sense except when you look at how many 15 to 17 year olds yesterday reached level 22. I saw at least 3 or 4 myself. And last year at the National combine the highest reached was 21.8. So you’re saying a heap of kids in a WA colts combine beat all the draftees at the National combine last year? This is the combine where they had Jay Rantall breaking the 2 km TT and topping the yo-yo at 21.8. That seriously doesn’t make sense. Im not saying I don’t believe they did the same test- it just doesn’t add up.

That's the Yo-Yo IR1 for lower level athletes.

The AFL and WAFL use the Yo-Yo IR2.
h
So this article says the AFL actually use the IR1 test- the one which starts at the lower level. That would kinda make sense as in IR1 by the time you reach level 21, you have run a distance of 2720m. In the IR2 (Sunday’s one), when they reached level 21 they had only run 800M to that point. Big difference to fatigue. Maybe the IR1 isn’t for low level athletes like you said? I am thinking they used IR2 on the weekend as it’s a much quicker test and time really was of the essence with that many kids. But happy to be proven wrong.

h
So this article says the AFL actually use the IR1 test- the one which starts at the lower level. That would kinda make sense as in IR1 by the time you reach level 21, you have run a distance of 2720m. In the IR2 (Sunday’s one), when they reached level 21 they had only run 800M to that point. Big difference to fatigue. Maybe the IR1 isn’t for low level athletes like you said? I am thinking they used IR2 on the weekend as it’s a much quicker test and time really was of the essence with that many kids. But happy to be proven wrong.

That article is mistaken.

If you watch this vid you can hear there's only 3 shuttles for level 18, as per the IR2 (whereas the IR1 has 8 shuttles for level 18).

So

So that makes sense except when you look at how many 15 to 17 year olds yesterday reached level 22. I saw at least 3 or 4 myself. And last year at the National combine the highest reached was 21.8. So you’re saying a heap of kids in a WA colts combine beat all the draftees at the National combine last year? This is the combine where they had Jay Rantall breaking the 2 km TT and topping the yo-yo at 21.8. That seriously doesn’t make sense. Im not saying I don’t believe they did the same test- it just doesn’t add up.

There's a few things to take into account:

1) Your score is your last completed shuttle, and since a player will often get their first warning and then kicked out in successive shuttles that means their score is actually 2 levels lower than it might appear to the crowd.

2) I don't think the officiating was quite as stringent and consistent on Sunday as you'd get at the state and national combines, and they're trying to watch a mass of a dozen or so kids at once compared to the nice clean set up in the vid above.

3) There's always going to be a few freak athletic kids in the Colts programs who will look great in a YoYo this but aren't good enough at football to be invited to the big combines.

Last edited:
Little off discussion but does anyone know why Will Hickmott and Connor West were never drafted? I never had the opportunity of watching either but stats they posted were quite impressive. Hickmott also posted some great combine stats and was eligible to Carlton as a F/S but why no interest?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So

TBH, I think outside of the 2KM TT, a lot of the stats posted at the combine were pretty ordinary. You might argue that its proof that clubs are reverting back to searching for traditional footballers rather than athletes.

There were some of the Yoyo stats across all combines in 2018.

Yo-yo test

1 Brett Bewley (Williamstown/VM) 22.4
2 Brayden Ham (Geelong/VC) 22.2
2 Ned McHenry (Geelong/VC) 22.2
4 Sam Walsh (Geelong/VC) 22.1
4 Luke English (Perth/WA) 22.1
4 Kai Pudney (WWT/SA) 22.1
7 Will Golds (Oakleigh/VM) 21.8
8 Xavier O’Halloran (Western/VM) 21.6
8 Oscar Brownless (Geelong/VC) 21.6
8 Isaac Saywell (Norwood/SA) 21.6
8 Ben Cavarra (Williamstown/VFL) 21.6

There's a few things to take into account:

1) Your score is your last completed shuttle, and since a player will often get their first warning and then kicked out in successive shuttles that means their score is actually 2 levels lower than it might appear to the crowd.

2) I don't think the officiating was quite as stringent and consistent on Sunday as you'd get at the state and national combines, and they're trying to watch a mass of a dozen or so kids at once compared to the nice clean set up in the vid above.

3) There's always going to be a few freak athletic kids in the Colts programs who will look great in a YoYo this but aren't good enough at football to be invited to the big combines.
Yes all good points. I thought the officiating was very loose at the weekend actually. East Freo went last and by the time they got to them, it was running so late that there were 15 kids running the yo yo together. Kids were staying in for many levels after they should have been out due to the fact the one or two officials couldn’t watch that many. So your probably right!

Big Dance are you an EF fan or involved in the EF junior program? As an EF fan I am always interested in EF future up n comers...I believe they won the futures comp last year....

Big Dance are you an EF fan or involved in the EF junior program? As an EF fan I am always interested in EF future up n comers...I believe they won the futures comp last year....
Yes mate- I know a couple of kids running around in the blue and white. They did win last year.

Yes mate- I know a couple of kids running around in the blue and white. They did win last year.

Mate did you see EF futures first up win the South West futures....any standouts or just a good overall team performance? Mixture of metro and country boys?....or more of one than the other?

Mate did you see EF futures first up win the South West futures....any standouts or just a good overall team performance? Mixture of metro and country boys?....or more of one than the other?
No country kids that I could see which is weird. Not sure why? Their best player IMO didn’t play due to PSA commitments. Down the whole game but came back in last qtr. I think this EF team is lacking some size - South west is not a strong team- and EF should have won by more. Lots of turnovers and no-one stood out in my eyes. I’m not sure the team is full of stars at this point. Ball spent more time in the ground than in someone’s hands. That said - the game after between Peel and West Perth was kind of the same. I thought Peel would be strong but they got done by West Perth. So maybe they are all quite even.
were you there?

Cheers for that, no didn't go mate, totally relying on your good judgement, as you say, interesting no Gero boys there, maybe that will change as the comp goes deeper. More often than not there are a few good Gero boys each year at this level, pity Hagan won't be playing as you mentioned earlier. I wonder if a number of those good 2019 under 16 state boys, who will be colts under agers, from Gero will wander down to Perth more in 2020 to play? Not an easy gig at that age I guess....living 4 hours plus from the club. Out of interest, besides Geraldton what other country area does EF select from....think Perth have the Central and North Midland zones now?

West Perth are apparently the strongest Futures team - based on what went on at the tailend of last year in the 15s. They have one kid, Kane Bevan, who can really play, is a good size etc etc.

I see one kid for Old Easts kicked 5, which is very unusual. Spadanuda. I know nothing about him.

Swan Districts absolutely filleted Perth - 98 to 3. Needless to say, Perth are going to really struggle. They probably had a similar amount of the ball but were just ineffectual going in and were continually harassed by a very hard-tackling Swans mob.

No country kids that I could see which is weird. Not sure why? Their best player IMO didn’t play due to PSA commitments. Down the whole game but came back in last qtr. I think this EF team is lacking some size - South west is not a strong team- and EF should have won by more. Lots of turnovers and no-one stood out in my eyes. I’m not sure the team is full of stars at this point. Ball spent more time in the ground than in someone’s hands. That said - the game after between Peel and West Perth was kind of the same. I thought Peel would be strong but they got done by West Perth. So maybe they are all quite even.
were you there?

This shits me. The WAFL changed the fixturing of the Future comp to accommodate the PSA. Obviously the other commitments were not footy but I think the whip hand should be taken back.

West Perth are apparently the strongest Futures team - based on what went on at the tailend of last year in the 15s. They have one kid, Kane Bevan, who can really play, is a good size etc etc.

I see one kid for Old Easts kicked 5, which is very unusual. Spadanuda. I know nothing about him.

Swan Districts absolutely filleted Perth - 98 to 3. Needless to say, Perth are going to really struggle. They probably had a similar amount of the ball but were just ineffectual going in and were continually harassed by a very hard-tackling Swans mob.

Kane Bevan is doing well at the moment. He might get a couple of games with the WP colts. He is training with them.

This shits me. The WAFL changed the fixturing of the Future comp to accommodate the PSA. Obviously the other commitments were not footy but I think the whip hand should be taken back.
I believe it only affects certain PSA kids- there are more than one in EF team but the kid that missed plays in the AC Firsts basketball team and their game is always last in the PSA fixtures. Apparently they had a win on Saturday and AC won the title? So whatever that means! If kids aren’t in the firsts then their game is earlier and therefore no clash or something to that affect. Not sure about other PSA sports- cricket probably goes all day as well? unless they played Friday or Sundays then the possibility of a clash is always there I would imagine.
Long weekend this weekend so no PSA fixtures from what I’m told.

Last edited:

East Freo play Peel twice but don’t play West Perth so not sure what that is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back