State Focus WA 2020 - Western Australia's junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think their an issues with the Sharks development selection or it’s just some players develop later?
McPartland was 19 in April, so playing as an over ager, went to Perth last year mid season,because he was behind the likes of Warner, Rivers, Ruscoe etc....the other guy Quartermaine who kicked 7.3, played in EF futures a few years back....maybe a late developer....good to see both guys get an opportunity and making the most of it....time will tell if EF got it wrong with these two.....not privy or close to EF development set up, just a mere observer TBH. I guess you win some and you lose some.....good to hear Gorringe is available for EF all year.....he and Carroll are crucial to the team, just need to find a target to help Lachie McGrath up front, got lots of good smalls, in Dann, Curley, Sandy etc to crumb.....

I think there will be a heap of Colts players today running around for EF (and potentially others) who are not up to wafl colts level. Having seen some of the inclusions has me scratching my balding head. The PSA V Colts dilution of talent will be more prevelant this year as from what I’m led to believe PSA boys can’t play any more colts games this year due to PsA comp running much later because of Covid.
makes even less sense that EF are still not budging on including the 2004 Futures kids into their squad. Not sure why they are being so precious about it all. I expect they will cop a hiding today from Peel who one would imagine will have less players out due to PSA.

Looks like Perth is set to play in the channel 7 game this weekend so anyone with access to 7plus can potentially watch Logan McDonald play senior football
Best thing ever for a kid like McDonald who finished Year 12 at aquinas last year is he doesn’t have to worry about the PSA/wafl clash. He can just go out and perfect his craft. Looking forward to watching him today.

(not actually 2018 despite what the previews say)

Yeah so Logan McDonald top 10
Would love to get him with Fremantles first pick. But starting to think he may not even get to our first with the Liam Henry deficit. He absolutely looks the real deal. Could end up going in the top 3 like Luke Jackson if he keeps this up and there’s no NAB league footy played?

Would love to get him with Fremantles first pick. But starting to think he may not even get to our first with the Liam Henry deficit. He absolutely looks the real deal. Could end up going in the top 3 like Luke Jackson if he keeps this up and there’s no NAB league footy played?
Might be going Top 3 regardless at this rate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah so Logan McDonald top 10
Played like a man today. It’s a big difference to Colts footy. All kids who get drafted should play league prior to being drafted. I wonder if only playing colts have affected how the likes of Warner, Jackson etc have played their first games? You gotta start somewhere I guess

Played like a man today. It’s a big difference to Colts footy. All kids who get drafted should play league prior to being drafted. I wonder if only playing colts have affected how the likes of Warner, Jackson etc have played their first games? You gotta start somewhere I guess
I’d love that in theory. But these are teams competing in their own leagues, playing for a premiership.

They’re not a feeder league to the AFL, where a kids development is the top priority.

If a kid can force their way in to a WAFL or SANFL team, they’re doing alright.

If lists are cut back at the end of this season, it’s going to be much harder for kids to play in the top state leagues around the country in the future.

I’d love that in theory. But these are teams competing in their own leagues, playing for a premiership.

They’re not a feeder league to the AFL, where a kids development is the top priority.

If a kid can force their way in to a WAFL or SANFL team, they’re doing alright.

If lists are cut back at the end of this season, it’s going to be much harder for kids to play in the top state leagues around the country in the future.
Except the colts aren’t really playing for a premiership. They are a feeder league. Well at least EF seem to be! I am sure they measure their success on how many kids get drafted, not how many games they win......the kids who don’t get drafted (most of them) are left to deal with the fallout

Was at Perth/East Perth today.

League:
Logan McDonald (02, Perth) - Wow. I'm on board. Two games in a row he's been absolutely incredible for the youngest player on the park. Absolute bullet of a kick for goal. Loves to push up the ground and create leads for his teammates. Looks so calm under pressure when the ball hits the deck. Knows when to do it himself and when to delegate with a quick handball.

Colts:
Nathan O'Driscoll (02, Perth) - Much better than last week's effort. Kicking style is still ugly but kicks are getting flatter and less loopy. Incredible lower body strength, great hands in the contest, great understanding of the game, runs hard defensively to make an impact in consecutive contests.
Conor McPartland (01, Perth) - Same as last week, just found less of it, still an absolute bull on the inside, kicking still absolutely wild, thrives on the contested game and has the tank to spread. Less dangerous when resting forward. Has good contested marking ability for a kid of his height.
Jack Hindle (02, East Perth) - Stats won't show it, but he was the best player on the ground. Lost probably 1 contest all night at full back on Quartermaine, incredible 1-on-1 body work and competent when ball hits the ground. Doesn't go the big spoil often, uses his positioning and lower body strength really well.
Sokaa Soka (03, East Perth) - really athletic ruckman, presents well on the lead when forward, great leap but needs to read the ball better in ruck contests rather than just jumping at it. There's a lot to work with here.
Jaiden Hunter (02, Perth) - Dominated in the ruck again, has a great leap and reads the footy well in the air in ruck contests and as a defensive interceptor. Very impressive.
Adam Boules (02, East Perth) - Pure accumulator. Works extremely hard all around the ground to get the footy and move it on positively.
Brett Hassett (02, Perth) - Thought he worked really well off half back, read the game well, had one glaring error but also kicked a fantastic running goal after creating his own space. Not someone to look out for on draft radars but someone who impressed me by doing the little things well in the defensive half.
Joshua Clements (02, East Perth) - Kicked 4 goals, looked extremely dangerous every time the ball got near him. Has a great burst of speed and clean hands. Looks and plays like Weightman but smaller in stature.
Jayden Peak (03, East Perth) - One to watch when he adds some kgs to his frame. Crumbs packs well and has a nice kick when entering the forward 50.
Zac Dronow (02, East Perth) - Found lots of space on a wing/flank, impressed with his ability to assess the situation in the forward line quickly.
Harry Quartermaine (02, Perth) - Kicked 3.3 but still left me wanting more from every contest after his 7 goals last week. Is very smart and doubles back on leads but often isn't on the same wavelength as those delivering the footy. Hindle definitely had his measure today but 6 scoring shots even when outplayed shows that he's always dangerous.

Except the colts aren’t really playing for a premiership. They are a feeder league. Well at least EF seem to be! I am sure they measure their success on how many kids get drafted, not how many games they win......the kids who don’t get drafted (most of them) are left to deal with the fallout
You know I was specifically replying to your comment.
All kids who get drafted should play league prior to being drafted.

Was at Perth/East Perth today.

League:
Logan McDonald (02, Perth) - Wow. I'm on board. Two games in a row he's been absolutely incredible for the youngest player on the park. Absolute bullet of a kick for goal. Loves to push up the ground and create leads for his teammates. Looks so calm under pressure when the ball hits the deck. Knows when to do it himself and when to delegate with a quick handball.

Colts:
Nathan O'Driscoll (02, Perth) - Much better than last week's effort. Kicking style is still ugly but kicks are getting flatter and less loopy. Incredible lower body strength, great hands in the contest, great understanding of the game, runs hard defensively to make an impact in consecutive contests.
Conor McPartland (01, Perth) - Same as last week, just found less of it, still an absolute bull on the inside, kicking still absolutely wild, thrives on the contested game and has the tank to spread. Less dangerous when resting forward. Has good contested marking ability for a kid of his height.
Jack Hindle (02, East Perth) - Stats won't show it, but he was the best player on the ground. Lost probably 1 contest all night at full back on Quartermaine, incredible 1-on-1 body work and competent when ball hits the ground. Doesn't go the big spoil often, uses his positioning and lower body strength really well.
Sokaa Soka (03, East Perth) - really athletic ruckman, presents well on the lead when forward, great leap but needs to read the ball better in ruck contests rather than just jumping at it. There's a lot to work with here.
Jaiden Hunter (02, Perth) - Dominated in the ruck again, has a great leap and reads the footy well in the air in ruck contests and as a defensive interceptor. Very impressive.
Adam Boules (02, East Perth) - Pure accumulator. Works extremely hard all around the ground to get the footy and move it on positively.
Brett Hassett (02, Perth) - Thought he worked really well off half back, read the game well, had one glaring error but also kicked a fantastic running goal after creating his own space. Not someone to look out for on draft radars but someone who impressed me by doing the little things well in the defensive half.
Joshua Clements (02, East Perth) - Kicked 4 goals, looked extremely dangerous every time the ball got near him. Has a great burst of speed and clean hands. Looks and plays like Weightman but smaller in stature.
Jayden Peak (03, East Perth) - One to watch when he adds some kgs to his frame. Crumbs packs well and has a nice kick when entering the forward 50.
Zac Dronow (02, East Perth) - Found lots of space on a wing/flank, impressed with his ability to assess the situation in the forward line quickly.
Harry Quartermaine (02, Perth) - Kicked 3.3 but still left me wanting more from every contest after his 7 goals last week. Is very smart and doubles back on leads but often isn't on the same wavelength as those delivering the footy. Hindle definitely had his measure today but 6 scoring shots even when outplayed shows that he's always dangerous.

Colts was after the league ?

i watched reserves and half the league, got home and was stunned to find East Perth look like winning, Perth came back though, could be fitness or perhaps the comp is quite even.

Perth looks pretty strong this year even without Yeo

Colts was after the league ?

i watched reserves and half the league, got home and was stunned to find East Perth look like winning, Perth came back though, could be fitness or perhaps the comp is quite even.

Perth looks pretty strong this year even without Yeo
I don’t believe he said or implied that.

With respect to the Perth vs East Perth, the Colts played last in the day, after the seniors.

I think there will be a heap of Colts players today running around for EF (and potentially others) who are not up to wafl colts level. Having seen some of the inclusions has me scratching my balding head. The PSA V Colts dilution of talent will be more prevelant this year as from what I’m led to believe PSA boys can’t play any more colts games this year due to PsA comp running much later because of Covid.
makes even less sense that EF are still not budging on including the 2004 Futures kids into their squad. Not sure why they are being so precious about it all. I expect they will cop a hiding today from Peel who one would imagine will have less players out due to PSA.

EF colts as you say got rolled by Peel, Gorringe top possession winner for EF.....no out n out goal kicking target it seems for EF....couple of inclusions into the side hardly had an impact on the stats sheet...out of interest how are EF futures even going mate? Not much coming out of the club in terms of scores / best players etc....saw the boys singing the victory song a few weeks back v SD, other then that nothing....number 9 still producing the goods?...got a name yet for that youngster?......could be a long shortened season for the EF colts me think....seem to be playing a lot of under wagers.....15/16/17 year olds with a sprinkling of 18 year olds.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back