State Focus WA 2021 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

That's fair enough. I agree with most of that. So you think our midfield will compete with SA and VIC M and VIC C? That's what I'm trying to determine here.

That's fair enough. I agree with most of that. So you think our midfield will compete with SA and VIC M and VIC C? That's what I'm trying to determine here.
No idea. Time will tell. We are generally competitive so maybe? I guess all will be revealed when they play those teams.

Unfortunately for Hagan he's got everything against him physically with lack of speed/size. Everyone loves to talk down the kids ability especially when stats weren't counted but I think its pretty evident now with his colts form that his state medals were justified. Jones and Evitt might not necessarily be midfield material but Hagan is still racking up great numbers in the colts against bigger kids. Hewett and Bailey are very explosive and are of decent height, I'd prefer them to round out the core midfield group with him.

What are people’s thoughts on who will be the strongest colts team this year once PSA kids return.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

B: Gorringe* (EF) Bazzo (SD) Avery* (P)
HB: Watson (SD) Hunter* (P) Fleiner (WP)
M: Chipper (SD) Browne (EF) Hagan** (EF)
HF: Regan (EP) van Rooyen (C) Erasmus (S)
F: Motlop (SF) Williams (EF) Harbour (EP)
R: South (S) Johnson (S) Dittmar (EP)
I/C: Woewodin (EF) Amiss (EP) Paton (WP) Polson (PT), Tunstill (EP), McVee (EF)

Depth:
Backs: McIlvinney* (PT), Armstrong (EP)
Mids: Hough (PT), Warner (EF), Sheldrick (C)
Forwards: Stretch (C), Farmer (S), Curley (EF)
Rucks: Benning (C)

I'm very surprised Lawson Humphries didn't make the team, I suppose they like what Watson and McVee bring off half back more. I can't really complain about this squad. Gorringe has looked far better this year playing reserves and league than he did last year, so bringing him along is nice, will give the team a real hard defensive worker. I don't think they'd bring Hagan unless he was playing, so he takes the wing spot.

Last edited:
B: Gorringe* (EF) Bazzo (SD) Avery* (P)
HB: Watson (SD) Hunter* (P) Fleiner (WP)
M: Chipper (SD) Browne (EF) Hagan** (EF)
HF: Regan (EP) van Rooyen (C) Erasmus (S)
F: Motlop (SF) Williams (EF) Harbour (EP)
R: South (S) Johnson (S) Dittmar (EP)
I/C: Woewodin (EF) Amiss (EP) Paton (WP) Polson (PT)

Depth:
Backs: McIlvinney* (PT), McVee (EF), Armstrong (EP)
Mids: Tunstill (EP), Hough (PT), Warner (EF), Sheldrick (C)
Forwards: Stretch (C), Farmer (S), Curley (EF)
Rucks: Benning (C)

I'm very surprised Lawson Humphries didn't make the team, I suppose they like what Watson and McVee bring off half back more. I can't really complain about this squad. Gorringe has looked far better this year playing reserves and league than he did last year, so bringing him along is nice, will give the team a real hard defensive worker. I don't think they'd bring Hagan unless he was playing, so he takes the wing spot.
Iirc they use 6 on the bench for the champs, I’d have Warner and Tunstill in for sure ahead of Woewodin at least. McVee also very likely to play

Iirc they use 6 on the bench for the champs, I’d have Warner and Tunstill in for sure ahead of Woewodin at least. McVee also very likely to play
I wouldn't have Warner anywhere near the team until he proves he can play for a team instead of himself. He's quality, but in short tournament play, players like that can kill you. With 6 on the bench, I'd add McVee, Tunstill, and a small forward (Stretch or Farmer), and drop Polson. He's ultra versatile but with an extended bench he probably misses out. Woewodin not playing in a set position is hurting his chances. He's not a midfielder, he's a run and carry half back or a linking up high half forward but he can find the footy, and in colts footy that means you play in the guts.

I guess with a plethora of talls in that 2021 U/19 squad, Kobe McMillan can count himself unlucky this year....though having a late birthday, he may get his state opportunity in 2022.....surely Van Rooyen, Gorringe or Avery would be looked at for captaincy, especially since all have played league footy this year.....

When was the last time, if ever, a player made both aged squads in the same year? Good effort by young Jed Hagan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess with a plethora of talls in that 2021 U/19 squad, Kobe McMillan can count himself unlucky this year....though having a late birthday, he may get his state opportunity in 2022.....surely Van Rooyen, Gorringe or Avery would be looked at for captaincy, especially since all have played league footy this year.....

When was the last time, if ever, a player made both aged squads in the same year? Good effort by young Jed Hagan.
Agreed re McMillan. Stiff not to miss out. I wonder if he was too good a generalist? A little short to be key ruck and there are better KPP than him. Never really found his position and became an expert in it. I rate him but maybe falls a little short at the next level.

I wouldn't have Warner anywhere near the team until he proves he can play for a team instead of himself. He's quality, but in short tournament play, players like that can kill you. With 6 on the bench, I'd add McVee, Tunstill, and a small forward (Stretch or Farmer), and drop Polson. He's ultra versatile but with an extended bench he probably misses out. Woewodin not playing in a set position is hurting his chances. He's not a midfielder, he's a run and carry half back or a linking up high half forward but he can find the footy, and in colts footy that means you play in the guts.
I unfortunately tend to agree re Warner. Frustrating style of play but I wonder now that he has made the 19’s he might settle down into a more team orientated style. Watched him in a Colts game - kicked about 5 points. Ignored all leads before him. Getting massive write ups in PsA but I wonder if there’s an element of selfish footy to try to get his numbers up to get in this squad. If he was playing in your AFL team, he’d be the one you’d love to hate. Every team has one of those.

Not sure if Polson gets dropped. He has such a presence on the field. Good footy smarts.

East freo should dominate colts this year with that much talent in there team

All talented individually but also lack real teamwork. I reckon the EF factory are almost too good at producing AFL draftees that kids coming through each year all think they have half a chance and play an individual brand. Not sure if it’s a good or bad problem to have.

For what purpose though. If good enough to be in the 19’s then he should be released from the 17’s. That said, he takes away a spot from a 19 so it would also make sense to only play him in the 17’s.
Traditionally all the top prospects have had two under 18 carnivals, even though this has changed a bit with COVID and age grouping it's basically the same principle. The last full carnival in 2019 saw WA field 3 or 4 overagers from memory through the carnival, about the same as the overagers/19 yo's named in this squad, so its basically still an 18s carnival. Makes sense to have at least one kid with experience going into the next carnival especially if he's good enough and rated a first round chance in their eyes for 2022. Should still play 17s because otherwise misses the comparison to those in his age group, also being crucial to the success of a pretty weak looking side.

Traditionally all the top prospects have had two under 18 carnivals, even though this has changed a bit with COVID and age grouping it's basically the same principle. The last full carnival in 2019 saw WA field 3 or 4 overagers from memory through the carnival, about the same as the overagers/19 yo's named in this squad, so its basically still an 18s carnival. Makes sense to have at least one kid with experience going into the next carnival especially if he's good enough and rated a first round chance in their eyes for 2022. Should still play 17s because otherwise misses the comparison to those in his age group, also being crucial to the success of a pretty weak looking side.
I get that and agree that traditionally there has been a number of underagers in the old 18’s. But we’ve never had the 17’s before. They had to include some bottomagers (17’s) so they didn’t have a gap in their development. 17’s were previously under-representatives at national level but they aren’t this year. Surely he’s not that far advanced to every other 2004 in this state that they only have him in the 19’s. I don’t believe that for a second. And with the introduction of the 17’s, more underagers will be seen than in previous years so that serves its own purpose. Good on the kid- probably pressure on him that is unnecessary as he could have ticked all the necessary boxes by just playing in the 17’s. If he isn’t the best player in the 17’s by a country mile then WAFC probably have egg on their face.

What happened to Jeremy sharp. So much hype around him before he got drafted. Was a nice size and had a set of wheels.

What happened to Jeremy sharp. So much hype around him before he got drafted. Was a nice size and had a set of wheels.

He seems to not be part of Gold Coast's plans even though Rowell, Anderson, Flanders and Farrar are.

I read on a Suns supporters page that he is ‘allergic to contested footy’. He is probably perfect trade bait- could suit the right team even if it isn’t the Suns. But didn’t he just get his contract extended?

This is sort of the kind of list I was thinking of for an imaginary 17's trial game based on colts stats mainly. It would have been nice to see what these guys might have done against the 30 squad members. I don't follow all of these players closely...so others can comment about their qualities....good or bad....or others who may have been a chance to be included.

1-Dallas McAdam (CL) (2004) 170
2-Kai Dehavilland (CL) (2005) 174
3-Luke Yeo (EF) (2004) 183
4-Dante Wiseman (EF) (2005) 168
5-Ashwin Malik (SF) (2004) 179
6-Harvey Muller (SF) (2004) 191
7-Chadd Dunscombe (2005) (EF) 167
8-Taj Wyburd (PT) (2004) 172
9-Ryan Newick (S) (2004) 188
10-Sam Van Rooyen (CL) (2005) 187
11-Lance Collard (S) (2005) 178
12-Clayton Taylor (WP) (2004) 186