State Focus WA 2021 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

I read on a Suns supporters page that he is ‘allergic to contested footy’. He is probably perfect trade bait- could suit the right team even if it isn’t the Suns. But didn’t he just get his contract extended?

Getting the contested footy was never one of his strengths. even the outside types need some contested side to there game to make it at AFL level.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is sort of the kind of list I was thinking of for an imaginary 17's trial game based on colts stats mainly. It would have been nice to see what these guys might have done against the 30 squad members. I don't follow all of these players closely...so others can comment about their qualities....good or bad....or others who may have been a chance to be included.

1-Dallas McAdam (CL) (2004) 170
2-Kai Dehavilland (CL) (2005) 174
3-Luke Yeo (EF) (2004) 183
4-Dante Wiseman (EF) (2005) 168
5-Ashwin Malik (SF) (2004) 179
6-Harvey Muller (SF) (2004) 191
7-Chadd Dunscombe (2005) (EF) 167
8-Taj Wyburd (PT) (2004) 172
9-Ryan Newick (S) (2004) 188
10-Sam Van Rooyen (CL) (2005) 187
11-Lance Collard (S) (2005) 178
12-Clayton Taylor (WP) (2004) 186
13-Riley Crane (S) (2005) 183
14-Joseph Harp (P) (2005) 180
15-Tristen Burgess (SD) (2005) 191
16-Dylan O'Dea (S) (2005) 178
17-Fletcher Netherway (CL) (2004) 181
18-Daniel Gathercole (WP) (2004) 180
19-Liam Brandis (SF) (2004) 179
20-Jye Skender (WP) (2004) 193
21-Cooper Osborne (PT) (2004) 193
22-Noah Murray (P) (2005) 177
23-Elijah Scoble (P) (2005) 187
24-Nate Dimanlig (WP) (2004) 185
25-Liam McWha (WP) (2004) 196
26-Mitchell Williams (EP) (2005) 186
Nice work - but you need to include a few more boys from East Freo. Filmer, Campbell, Albecht, Petersen, Nolan, Parasiliti, Shaw just to name a few. I know this group well and you’ll see some of these names grow lots of attention.

I read on a Suns supporters page that he is ‘allergic to contested footy’. He is probably perfect trade bait- could suit the right team even if it isn’t the Suns. But didn’t he just get his contract extended?

To be honest he was allergic to contested footy in U18 champs..

Can play but is really a open sided winger, right team or coach and he could be handy.

Nice work - but you need to include a few more boys from East Freo. Filmer, Campbell, Albecht, Petersen, Nolan, Parasiliti, Shaw just to name a few. I know this group well and you’ll see some of these names grow lots of attention.

I'll certainly keep an eye out for them.

To be honest I mainly included 2005 kids that have made their colts debut already.

SF, EF, WP and PT haven't played any yet. S (6), P (4), SD (2), CL (2), EP (1) have done.

EP, SD, EF and SF have the oldest colts teams this year. S and P have the youngest.

In total there have been 85 2004 and 15 2005 kids play colts in 2021.

Not sure which two but apparently injuries to two East freo kids in the state 17’s game today. I think one was Hagan but both didn’t appear again after half time. And the word is their injuries might put them in doubt for travelling next week. One shoulder, one hand. Plus a kid from East Perth got injured but that was apparently a corkie. Don’t know any more details- just heard the teams they were from.

Not sure which two but apparently injuries to two East freo kids in the state 17’s game today. I think one was Hagan but both didn’t appear again after half time. And the word is their injuries might put them in doubt for travelling next week. One shoulder, one hand. Plus a kid from East Perth got injured but that was apparently a corkie. Don’t know any more details- just heard the teams they were from.
One was Hagan. Came off right in front of me.

Don't know what happened but he was with a trainer and next I saw him he was out of his playing kit.

This is sort of the kind of list I was thinking of for an imaginary 17's trial game based on colts stats mainly. It would have been nice to see what these guys might have done against the 30 squad members. I don't follow all of these players closely...so others can comment about their qualities....good or bad....or others who may have been a chance to be included.

1-Dallas McAdam (CL) (2004) 170
2-Kai Dehavilland (CL) (2005) 174
3-Luke Yeo (EF) (2004) 183
4-Dante Wiseman (EF) (2005) 168
5-Ashwin Malik (SF) (2004) 179
6-Harvey Muller (SF) (2004) 191
7-Chadd Dunscombe (2005) (EF) 167
8-Taj Wyburd (PT) (2004) 172
9-Ryan Newick (S) (2004) 188
10-Sam Van Rooyen (CL) (2005) 187
11-Lance Collard (S) (2005) 178
12-Clayton Taylor (WP) (2004) 186
13-Riley Crane (S) (2005) 183
14-Joseph Harp (P) (2005) 180
15-Tristen Burgess (SD) (2005) 191
16-Dylan O'Dea (S) (2005) 178
17-Fletcher Netherway (CL) (2004) 181
18-Daniel Gathercole (WP) (2004) 180
19-Liam Brandis (SF) (2004) 179
20-Jye Skender (WP) (2004) 193
21-Cooper Osborne (PT) (2004) 193
22-Noah Murray (P) (2005) 177
23-Elijah Scoble (P) (2005) 187
24-Nate Dimanlig (WP) (2004) 185
25-Liam McWha (WP) (2004) 196
26-Mitchell Williams (EP) (2005) 186
I agree with this list, i Believe the 17's should play another trial game just to really bond as a team and trial these new kids.

Should pick up more players, hopefully they select like for like players.
Strongly suggest from EF;
Dunscombe
Albrecht
Wiseman
Peterson
Yeo

Jack Buller would have to be on the radar of some clubs by now? Genuine key forward threat, quick on the lead, great hands in the contest, can pinch hit in the ruck or go back and play as a key there. Has kicked multiple goals in 6 of his 9 games, one of which he was playing as a ruckman. Bags of 5, 4, and two lots of 3. Will go close to the Naylor at this rate, can't see why a team wouldn't snap him up for a year or two of development.

On the Freo thread, there is an article stating that Cleaver injured a thumb in the 17s state trial game, but should be ok to play v SA game 1 with a thumb guard....no mention of Hagan and his injury though or availability. Hewitt out with a groin though....travelling 23 to be named soon from the sounds of things.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to note that SA announced an extended 49 man squad some weeks ago. Seems a more sensible option in case of form fluctuations, late developers or injuries.

On the Freo thread, there is an article stating that Cleaver injured a thumb in the 17s state trial game, but should be ok to play v SA game 1 with a thumb guard....no mention of Hagan and his injury though or availability. Hewitt out with a groin though....travelling 23 to be named soon from the sounds of things.....

Team was announced last night. No list up yet

Interesting to note that SA announced an extended 49 man squad some weeks ago. Seems a more sensible option in case of form fluctuations, late developers or injuries.
And then a few days ago they cut their squad back to 30, just like WA. Not sure how late you think someone can develop and still be in with a chance but these two teams play each other this weekend.

For the PSA being a lower standard 56% selected are from PSA. That’s reasonably high considering the low numbers that PSA have compared to the WAFL regions

I reckon the difference between the PSA’s best and worst is far greater than in Colts. Also, Colts are on average a year or so older. The oldest in PSA are kids who don’t turn 18 until July. So right now all kids playing PSA are 17 or younger. Colts might have the odd kid who is 19 and then quite a few 18 year olds who finished school last year.
And I think it’s also a case of parents discover that they have a boy who can kick a footy so send them to a PSA school as opposed to PsA making kids better footballers.

And then a few days ago they cut their squad back to 30, just like WA. Not sure how late you think someone can develop and still be in with a chance but these two teams play each other this weekend.

We started at 30 and ended at 30...we didn't consider players outside the initial group....totally different from SA....A WA squad of 40 plus should have been assembled a month ago.

We started at 30 and ended at 30...we didn't consider players outside the initial group....totally different from SA....A WA squad of 40 plus should have been assembled a month ago.
The WA U19’s squad is also only 33 players. So you think this is wrong as well? I think they probably have considered players - maybe just didn’t think they were good enough to be put in a squad. Too much time wasted on the what if’s. Too late to change now so just let it go. I think WA’s way of naming a smaller squad (let’s assume this is done after considering and watching a larger group of players initially) is very much in line with other sports. Your notion of keeping adding players this close to the carnival will never work. Those kids now have to wait for their next turn. As I’ve said before, if they’re good enough, they won’t be overlooked again.

The WA U19’s squad is also only 33 players. So you think this is wrong as well? I think they probably have considered players - maybe just didn’t think they were good enough to be put in a squad. Too much time wasted on the what if’s. Too late to change now so just let it go. I think WA’s way of naming a smaller squad (let’s assume this is done after considering and watching a larger group of players initially) is very much in line with other sports. Your notion of keeping adding players this close to the carnival will never work. Those kids now have to wait for their next turn. As I’ve said before, if they’re good enough, they won’t be overlooked again.

The 19's squad extended beyond 40 and players were unearthed like South in the trial. Then reduced to 33. Perfectly acceptable. The 2004 kids were never given that opportunity.

And I think it’s also a case of parents discover that they have a boy who can kick a footy so send them to a PSA school as opposed to PsA making kids better footballers.

And all those PSA kids do Colts preseasons anyway. That's a more significant part of their development than playing in a school comp.

I heard it was a bit of game playing with Hewitt and Cleaver.. maybe a bit worried about a form slump before selection so they suffered an “injury” but just happen to recover in time to make the plane.. Hewitt should be ok because he’s not afraid to win his own ball but Cleaver might have issues with Hagan apparently having a pretty bad shoulder, 75% of Cleavers touches usually come directly from Hagan so if he’s not fit young Jackie boy might want to make friends with the Claremont boys or give contested footy a go.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back