State Focus WA 2021 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the second half of Perth V EF Colts.

Jack Avery- seemed to be everywhere. Played in the backline and had 41 touches. Is he a case of should have, could have but didn’t? 19 year olds playing in Colts always seems a difficult place to judge a player.

Liked Josh Browne- hadn’t seen him since the season started and he looks solid and composed.
I rate the EF ruckman McMillan. Good clean hands and a workhorse in the ruck.
Avery had the chance to go head to head with Williams but consciously avoided the top talent to stay free and accumulate. Best thing for his chances is to pick up the highest rated forward each week he plays colts. Might not rack up the stats he likes - but he needs to show he can win some big one on ones against the best colt forwards not the third best - just my opinion.

Watched the second half of Perth V EF Colts.

Jack Avery- seemed to be everywhere. Played in the backline and had 41 touches. Is he a case of should have, could have but didn’t? 19 year olds playing in Colts always seems a difficult place to judge a player.

Liked Josh Browne- hadn’t seen him since the season started and he looks solid and composed.
I rate the EF ruckman McMillan. Good clean hands and a workhorse in the ruck.

Josh browne had 13 turnovers and had 30% disposal efficiency. May rack up touches but isn't that damaging

Avery had the chance to go head to head with Williams but consciously avoided the top talent to stay free and accumulate. Best thing for his chances is to pick up the highest rated forward each week he plays colts. Might not rack up the stats he likes - but he needs to show he can win some big one on ones against the best colt forwards not the third best - just my opinion.
How do you know that wasn't the role he was asked to play?

Josh browne had 13 turnovers and had 30% disposal efficiency. May rack up touches but isn't that damaging

Teams do need these outside receiver types that rack up huge numbers there’s no doubt about that. But they normally are not big impact players and usually look the star off others hard work.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Where do you get the stats from? Stats as in disposal efficiency and turnovers?

Those types of stats come from someone within the inner sanctum of the team.

Unless of course they have access to back end of Champion Data.

Those types of stats come from someone within the inner sanctum of the team.

Unless of course they have access to back end of Champion Data.
Yeah which is all very strange if someone with that knowledge is writing on a forum such as this.

My early assessment (Post R5) of likely WA draftees (not including overagers)
ClubNameHeightWeightPositionRange
SubiacoERASMUS Neil18880Mid/Fwd10-20
SubiacoJOHNSON Matthew19180Mid5-15
East FremantleWILLIAMS Jack19591Key Fwd5-20
East PerthDITTMAR Kade18690Mid15-30
ClaremontVAN ROOYEN Jacob19488Key Fwd5-20
Swan DistricsBAZZO Rhett19581Key Back20-40
East PerthAMISS Jye19583Key Fwd30-60
PeelEDWARDS Joshua19996Ruck40-60
A few notes:
I'm all aboard the Erasmus hype train, has shown great improvement and is a tough matchup as a fwd and should land mid first round.
Johnson is an obvious first round choice, is a very clean player. Has started the season off slowly after an injury affected pre season but is now playing WAFL league. Needs to win a bit more footy to become more than just a handy player.
Williams is dominating the competition, & I'd love to see him promoted to WAFL League at some stage. May even be the first Key position player drafted.
Dittmar is a favourite, is tough, runs hard and kicks goals. Most likely goes second round IMO.
Van Rooyen was the best performed key fwd coming into 2021, and has played League footy all year with modest returns. Now has glandular fever :eek: which is bad news. Even if he doesn't play again all year he will have done enough to be drafted. On performance should end up somewhere back of first round.
Bazzo from Basso hasnt been convincing as a key fwd and probably settles as a key back at AFL level. Hasn't really starred so far but has been solid enough and should go second round somewhere.
Amiss has been solid and hits the scoreboard, just needs to get around the ground a bit more. Has improved where I can see being drafted late.
Edwards seems the only genuine ruck AFL prospect from WA. We all know big men are hard to find! I can see a club taking a punt late draft or as a rookie.

Last edited:
My early assessment (Post R5) of likely WA draftees (not including overagers)
ClubNameHeightWeightPositionRange
SubiacoERASMUS Neil18880Mid/Fwd10-20
SubiacoJOHNSON Matthew19180Mid5-15
East FremantleWILLIAMS Jack19591Key Fwd5-20
East PerthDITTMAR Kade18690Mid15-30
ClaremontVAN ROOYEN Jacob19488Key Fwd5-20
Swan DistricsBAZZO Rhett19581Key Back20-40
East PerthAMISS Jye19583Key Fwd30-60
PeelEDWARDS Joshua19996Ruck40-60
A few notes:
I'm all aboard the Erasmus hype train, has shown great improvement and is a tough matchup as a fwd and should land mid first round.
Johnson is an obvious first round choice, is a very clean player. Has started the season off slowly after an injury affected pre season but is now playing WAFL league. Needs to win a bit more footy to become more than just a handy player.
Williams is dominating the competition, & I'd love to see him promoted to WAFL League at some stage. May even be the first Key position player drafted.
Dittmar is a favourite, is tough, runs hard and kicks goals. Most likely goes second round IMO.
Van Rooyen was the best performed key fwd coming into 2021, and has played League footy all year with modest returns. Now has glandular fever :eek: which is bad news. Even if he doesn't play again all year he will have done enough to be drafted. On performance should end up somewhere back of first round.
Bazzo from Basso hasnt been convincing as a key fwd and probably settles as a key back at AFL level. Hasn't really starred so far but has been solid enough and should go second round somewhere.
Amiss has been solid and hits the scoreboard, just needs to get around the ground a bit more. Has improved where I can see being drafted late.
Edwards seems the only genuine ruck AFL prospect from WA. We all know big men are hard to find! I can see a club taking a punt late draft or as a rookie.

You are way underating Amiss i would happily take him now.
Has great size good agility great set shot technique and runs really hard, he also wills himself on the contest which i love.
The amount of recruiters watching him and Dittmar and raving about both they will be drafted

Bazzo is a defender and i hope west coast can pick him up I rate him a better defender than Denver Grainger Barrass as juniors

You also forgot Polson another very good forward and Taylor as well

This is the best crop of KPF from WA in a long long time, I rate them all they should all get drafted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do people really think that Van Rooyen will drop to the end of the 1st round ?

As a Richmond supporter i would be extremely happy if he ended up a Tiger

He has an overall body of work over a number of years, and then he has his recent body of work, which although Glandular Fever affected is less than expected.

Waterman is one Glandular Fever affected footballer, and it took him years to recover.

So I think it’s inevitable that his draft ranking falls.

Others less of an issue, but after they were drafted are: Heeney, Stevenson, Broomhead, Jordan Clarke, Shuey etc

He has an overall body of work over a number of years, and then he has his recent body of work, which although Glandular Fever affected is less than expected.

Waterman is one Glandular Fever affected footballer, and it took him years to recover.

So I think it’s inevitable that his draft ranking falls.

Others less of an issue, but after they were drafted are: Heeney, Stevenson, Broomhead, Jordan Clarke, Shuey etc
Really hoping he gets to the 2 Richmond picks

He is exactly the player we need to replace Riewoldt and the Tigers have the 2 years it would take and be patient with him
We had Ben Lennon who was also hit with Glandular Fever and took him 3-4 months before he was back in training and was ready to play 3 months fter this.
hope the kid recovers well

Hopefully it might just be a mild case & a return to playing soon. Saying that, he'd wanna find some form at league level to be a likely first round pick.
You would think he loses a lot of fitness and strength with GF

Will be hard to recover then build strength stamina to get back let alone find form. Think he will get drafted on what he has already shown last few years
I know it sounds selfish but happy for him to slide to Richmond's picks

This is my best of the rest :wink:
ClubNameHeightWeightPosition
PerthINVERARITY Menno18068Mid
East FremantleBROWNE Joshua18577Mid
ClaremontSHELDRICK Gus17984Mid
Swan DistricsCHIPPER Max18272Mid
PeelPOLSON Luke19692Key Fwd
East PerthREGAN Ethan18973Gen Fwd
PeelHOUGH Brady19171Gen Fwd
South FremantleMOTLOP Jesse17674Small Fwd
PeelTAYLOR Luke17976Gen Fwd
These guys are in the mix for late draft/rookie draft & are in no particular order. I also haven't added any overage (2002 born) players as most clubs have an aversion to drafting these types that dominate the junior ranks.

These guys are in the mix for late draft/rookie draft & are in no particular order. I also haven't added any overage (2002 born) players as most clubs have an aversion to drafting these types that dominate the junior ranks.
When do they announce the State 19’s squad? It will be interesting to see how many 19’s are in it.

Might have missed it but no mention of Chad Warner's younger brother? I was lead to believe he was a 30-50 pick... and was a mix between Chad and Will Day:think:... I dont think it was April Fools Day at the time either...

Might have missed it but no mention of Chad Warner's younger brother? I was lead to believe he was a 30-50 pick... and was a mix between Chad and Will Day:think:... I dont think it was April Fools Day at the time either...
I'm sure there's a whole bunch i've missed! I reckon there's always hype about family link, brothers, father son picks etc.
Chad Warner has had a good start at Sydney, lets hope he can go on with it. Corey on the other doesn't rack them up the same or hit the scoreboard as much. Really hasn't improved since last year where Chad exploded in his draft year.

I'm sure there's a whole bunch i've missed! I reckon there's always hype about family link, brothers, father son picks etc.
Chad Warner has had a good start at Sydney, lets hope he can go on with it. Corey on the other doesn't rack them up the same or hit the scoreboard as much. Really hasn't improved since last year where Chad exploded in his draft year.

Thanks for the response. Talent looks fairly deep in WA this year, there's definately a few i wouldn't mind on the Swans list

How did young Cleaver go mate? He caught your eye in the Futures last year, seems to be settling into colts footy quite well with some decent numbers.....McMillan seems to have come in leaps n bounds this year....and Jack Williams appears to be EF only avenue to goal.....
Sorry I missed this.

I got put off my asking about this kid as someone accused me of being his dad (which I am definitely not). Thought he was very solid in the half of Colts game I watched and someone today told me they watched his school game and said he played a cracker for Aquinas this weekend. And also Curtain (also ‘04) for Scotch. I know they’re televised but I don’t have time for that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back