State Focus WA 2022 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 6:
Peel Thunder vs Claremont

Joel Rush (PT#13) - slightly built wingman did some good things on the outside. Great run and carry, not afraid to kick on the run and hit up targets. Good goal sense.
Byron Finch (PT#7) - crafty mid-forward. Has a knack for getting under the opponent's skin, real Jack Ginnivan type (and the haircut to match). I don't think he's in the state squad but could provide some great forward tackling pressure and niggle if required. Does some handy inside work to get the ball from the contest.
Connor Carbone (PT#4) - if he could kick he'd be on everyone's draft radars. Strongly built medium defender. Reads the play exceptionally well. Knows when to fly and when to stay down, good tackling pressure. Kicking technique is all off, the ball drop is a real concern. Can loop it up real high and misses targets when kicking short.
Reece Torrent (PT#31) - underager, another ball-moving wingman/back flanker. Always finds himself in the right spots, one to watch.
Jackson Broadbent (PT#39) - was well-beaten in the ruck, but dominated around the ground with his speed and spread (Wolf didn't want to go with him unless it was at the contest). Expected more off the back of his Australian game.
Jed Adams (PT#38) - another really mature game from him at full back. Great workrate.

Fletcher Netherway (C#13) - lightly built inside midfielder. Great at the contest, gets first hands to the ball and gets it going in the right direction. Often finds a teammate with an outlet handball or kick to space. Very impressive game.
Mitch Barron (C#5) - just a bull. Not overly impressive with ball in hand but great defensive pressure and extraction skills at the coalface.
Brodie Ginbey (C#22) - if this kid kicked the ball any higher he'd bring the rain down. Liked his work out of the backline, not afraid to crash the contest and let the smalls clean up.
Luke Brown (C#25) - Real skinny. Don't think he managed to put on any weight/strength during the offseason. He's a decent mark on the lead but really struggles in 1-on-1 contests. His kicking was awful all night and it set the tone and he got in his head and missed some really gettable chances. 200cm key forwards don't grow on trees but he has a lot of work to do to be considered at all after some touted him as a top 10(!) pick as early as last season. Super raw, lots of growth potential there. Just needs to go back to training and work on his confidence, nail some set shots.
Ahmad Sgro (C#42) - 18 year old from Broome. Genuinely have no idea which way this kid is going to turn. Brilliant pace, brilliant agility. Needs to be more selfish. Had some opportunities to kick for goal but deferred to his key forwards on leads. Really exciting to watch.
William Wolf (C#24) - This kid could be anything if he sets his mind to it. When you come up against the best ruckman in the country and you beat him in the ruck, you should be close to best on ground. Unfortunately just refused to work around the ground with Broadbent and his overall game suffered because of it. For Freo fans, he's better than Benning at the same stage - natural talent wise - Benning just worked harder last year. If you can get him for free and give him two years in the AFL system and he actually wants it? Could be a diamond in the rough.

East Fremantle vs Subiaco
Jed Hagan (EF#4) - Just reminds me of Jack Redden with every part of his game. Defensively responsible, decent kick, goes well at the contest. Doesn't have any standout things that make you say 'wow', but will just go in and get the job done every single time without fail. A kid you can take in the second round of the draft and have him play 150 games straight out of the draft without question. Would like to see him at league level but probably won't get the chance. Seems taller than 175cm.
Luke Yeo (EF#9) - was questioning why he didn't make the state 17s last season. He seems to have everything in spades, pace, ability, contested work, so I watched him closely every time he got the footy. His decision making is what lets him down. More often than not will have two options and hit neither. Or he'll choose the worse option. High risk, low reward. He still plays a very good all-round game. He just hesitates and second guesses and runs himself out of time. I think he can improve still, but right now he's just limited by that.
Samuel Otto (EF#21) - 194cm and rapid pace on the wing. Played as a tall defender last year but feels more comfortable in a more attacking role. Lot of great athletic traits.

Koltyn Tholstrup (S#23) - kicked poorly in front of goal but was still electric. Had the best kick of the day, from the wing straight onto his teammate's chest in the corridor inside 50. Everything he does makes you sit up and take notice. Wants to take the game on and attack, wants the ball in his hands, wants the responsibility. WA's best for the 2023 draft.
Lachlan MacRae (S#5) - he's small but he's tough. He gets into the contest and comes out with the footy. Good by hand and by foot. Another for next year's state 18s.
Ryan Newick (S#14) - the type of kid who'll bob up in 5 years after having 20 touches in a Subiaco league grand final win and everyone will say "oh, how'd we miss him?". Strong bodied midfielder, shrugs off would-be tacklers like they're not even there. Doesn't have any standout traits that AFL clubs love but he's a really good solid footballer.
Luker Kentfield (S#50) - force of nature. Just a big, big kid. Strong, great hands. 4 kicks, 3 goals 1. Put the forwards on his back and said follow me, I'm gonna kick us to a win. Another 2005 birthday, Subi's team next year is going to be ridiculously stacked.

EF vs Subi Reserves
Jake South (S#46) - nominated for the MSD. Played just about the best quarter of footy I've ever seen from a forward in the twos. 4 kicks, 4 goals. Outmarking blokes like they weren't there. For a kid who played predominantly ruck for his entire colts career, dominating a game like that at full forward was something I didn't expect. Would love to see him get given a go at league level after that but with Sokol, Borchet, Breman, and Eaton in front of him, it's a hard team to crack.

EF vs Subi League
Brynn Teakle (EF#6) - see ya later, Teaks. It's been fun. His rate of improvement from last year to now has been fantastic. I can only hope he keeps improving and becomes a fantastic AFL player. Athletically gifted. Took an absolute hanger.
Jonathon Marsh (EF#10) - I wish his confidence playing WAFL footy translated to the AFL. If he was 3 years younger and hadn't already been on two lists he'd be a no brainer mid-season pick. Strong, fast, a booming kick. 11 goals in the last 2 games. If he is fighting fit, the Sharks could do some real damage.
Blaine Boekhorst (EF#9) - Carlton fans, look away now. Was a first round pick a reach? Yeah, absolutely it was. But some of the things he does, you just get why they took a punt. I'd never seen someone run and carry, point to tell his forward to run into space and then absolutely pinpoint a 65m barrel to the lead, but Blaine pulled it off at the WACA on Saturday. Just has this arrogant, confident swagger about him when he's on, and he was on.

Round 6:

Joel Rush (PT#13) - slightly built wingman did some good things on the outside. Great run and carry, not afraid to kick on the run and hit up targets. Good goal sense.
Byron Finch (PT#7) - crafty mid-forward. Has a knack for getting under the opponent's skin, real Jack Ginnivan type (and the haircut to match). I don't think he's in the state squad but could provide some great forward tackling pressure and niggle if required. Does some handy inside work to get the ball from the contest.
Connor Carbone (PT#4) - if he could kick he'd be on everyone's draft radars. Strongly built medium defender. Reads the play exceptionally well. Knows when to fly and when to stay down, good tackling pressure. Kicking technique is all off, the ball drop is a real concern. Can loop it up real high and misses targets when kicking short.
Reece Torrent (PT#31) - underager, another ball-moving wingman/back flanker. Always finds himself in the right spots, one to watch.
Jackson Broadbent (PT#39) - was well-beaten in the ruck, but dominated around the ground with his speed and spread (Wolf didn't want to go with him unless it was at the contest). Expected more off the back of his Australian game.
Jed Adams (PT#38) - another really mature game from him at full back. Great workrate.

Fletcher Netherway (C#13) - lightly built inside midfielder. Great at the contest, gets first hands to the ball and gets it going in the right direction. Often finds a teammate with an outlet handball or kick to space. Very impressive game.
Mitch Barron (C#5) - just a bull. Not overly impressive with ball in hand but great defensive pressure and extraction skills at the coalface.
Brodie Ginbey (C#22) - if this kid kicked the ball any higher he'd bring the rain down. Liked his work out of the backline, not afraid to crash the contest and let the smalls clean up.
Luke Brown (C#25) - Real skinny. Don't think he managed to put on any weight/strength during the offseason. He's a decent mark on the lead but really struggles in 1-on-1 contests. His kicking was awful all night and it set the tone and he got in his head and missed some really gettable chances. 200cm key forwards don't grow on trees but he has a lot of work to do to be considered at all after some touted him as a top 10(!) pick as early as last season. Super raw, lots of growth potential there. Just needs to go back to training and work on his confidence, nail some set shots.
Ahmad Sgro (C#42) - 18 year old from Broome. Genuinely have no idea which way this kid is going to turn. Brilliant pace, brilliant agility. Needs to be more selfish. Had some opportunities to kick for goal but deferred to his key forwards on leads. Really exciting to watch.
William Wolf (C#24) - This kid could be anything if he sets his mind to it. When you come up against the best ruckman in the country and you beat him in the ruck, you should be close to best on ground. Unfortunately just refused to work around the ground with Broadbent and his overall game suffered because of it. For Freo fans, he's better than Benning at the same stage - natural talent wise - Benning just worked harder last year. If you can get him for free and give him two years in the AFL system and he actually wants it? Could be a diamond in the rough.

Jed Hagan (EF#4) - Just reminds me of Jack Redden with every part of his game. Defensively responsible, decent kick, goes well at the contest. Doesn't have any standout things that make you say 'wow', but will just go in and get the job done every single time without fail. A kid you can take in the second round of the draft and have him play 150 games straight out of the draft without question. Would like to see him at league level but probably won't get the chance. Seems taller than 175cm.
Luke Yeo (EF#9) - was questioning why he didn't make the state 17s last season. He seems to have everything in spades, pace, ability, contested work, so I watched him closely every time he got the footy. His decision making is what lets him down. More often than not will have two options and hit neither. Or he'll choose the worse option. High risk, low reward. He still plays a very good all-round game. He just hesitates and second guesses and runs himself out of time. I think he can improve still, but right now he's just limited by that.
Samuel Otto (EF#21) - 194cm and rapid pace on the wing. Played as a tall defender last year but feels more comfortable in a more attacking role. Lot of great athletic traits.

Koltyn Tholstrup (S#23) - kicked poorly in front of goal but was still electric. Had the best kick of the day, from the wing straight onto his teammate's chest in the corridor inside 50. Everything he does makes you sit up and take notice. Wants to take the game on and attack, wants the ball in his hands, wants the responsibility. WA's best for the 2023 draft.
Lachlan MacRae (S#5) - he's small but he's tough. He gets into the contest and comes out with the footy. Good by hand and by foot. Another for next year's state 18s.
Ryan Newick (S#14) - the type of kid who'll bob up in 5 years after having 20 touches in a Subiaco league grand final win and everyone will say "oh, how'd we miss him?". Strong bodied midfielder, shrugs off would-be tacklers like they're not even there. Doesn't have any standout traits that AFL clubs love but he's a really good solid footballer.
Luker Kentfield (S#50) - force of nature. Just a big, big kid. Strong, great hands. 4 kicks, 3 goals 1. Put the forwards on his back and said follow me, I'm gonna kick us to a win. Another 2005 birthday, Subi's team next year is going to be ridiculously stacked.

EF vs Subi Reserves
Jake South (S#46) - nominated for the MSD. Played just about the best quarter of footy I've ever seen from a forward in the twos. 4 kicks, 4 goals. Outmarking blokes like they weren't there. For a kid who played predominantly ruck for his entire colts career, dominating a game like that at full forward was something I didn't expect. Would love to see him get given a go at league level after that but with Sokol, Borchet, Breman, and Eaton in front of him, it's a hard team to crack.

EF vs Subi League
Brynn Teakle (EF#6) - see ya later, Teaks. It's been fun. His rate of improvement from last year to now has been fantastic. I can only hope he keeps improving and becomes a fantastic AFL player. Athletically gifted. Took an absolute hanger.
Jonathon Marsh (EF#10) - I wish his confidence playing WAFL footy translated to the AFL. If he was 3 years younger and hadn't already been on two lists he'd be a no brainer mid-season pick. Strong, fast, a booming kick. 11 goals in the last 2 games. If he is fighting fit, the Sharks could do some real damage.
Blaine Boekhorst (EF#9) - Carlton fans, look away now. Was a first round pick a reach? Yeah, absolutely it was. But some of the things he does, you just get why they took a punt. I'd never seen someone run and carry, point to tell his forward to run into space and then absolutely pinpoint a 65m barrel to the lead, but Blaine pulled it off at the WACA on Saturday. Just has this arrogant, confident swagger about him when he's on, and he was on.
Amazing summary. Great work.

Do you, as I do, think that it is time for WA to add to their state 18's squad and to include both 2004 and even 3-4 2003 kids. I truly believe there are gems the selectors haven't acknowledged.

He has that whether he is on or not

Do you, as I do, think that it is time for WA to add to their state 18's squad and to include both 2004 and even 3-4 2003 kids. I truly believe there are gems the selectors haven't acknowledged.
I think if there's an overager completely dominating the competition and plays in a position where the team is weak, or lacking experience/composure, then I'd pick them. I think Angus Laurisson is someone who fits here, however it's not like there aren't other key defenders who are capable (Sukuroski from Claremont, Fairbank from Perth), plus you've already got Busslinger, and maybe Logan - wouldn't want to go too tall. I do think we should be picking draft aged players more often than not.

Who are some players to look out for possible selection over the next few weeks as they finalise the 18s squad some players are in some red hot form and hope they would get rewarded

I think if there's an overager completely dominating the competition and plays in a position where the team is weak, or lacking experience/composure, then I'd pick them. I think Angus Laurisson is someone who fits here, however it's not like there aren't other key defenders who are capable (Sukuroski from Claremont, Fairbank from Perth), plus you've already got Busslinger, and maybe Logan - wouldn't want to go too tall. I do think we should be picking draft aged players more often than not.
Yeah I agree. Most of the leading contenders are backmen which WA have covered already. Imagine Sukuroski (CL), Barbieri (S), Fairbank (P), Hall (P), Davies (CL), Laurisson (SD) can't make the squad but they are defenders.

Midfielders are everywhere and they could easily add Wilson (SF), O'Herir (SF), Connor (SF), Sellwood (PT). To be honest, I don't see much quality drop between Jones (SD), Hagan (EF) and Wilson (SF). I think Wilson is a star.

It's the forward line that concerns me. I think they have to add over age forwards Corey Tregenza-Cashell (PT) and the bulk of Richard Bartlett (S). Once the fans see Bartlett they will take to him instantly. I little extra tyre around the midfiff never hurt anybody.

But seriously, WA's forward line is weak apart from Tholstrup (S)

Who are some players to look out for possible selection over the next few weeks as they finalise the 18s squad some players are in some red hot form and hope they would get rewarded
Why not Joel Rush? He's getting noticed. In all seriousness guys like him and Baxter Phillip (P) could easily play state 18's but the selectors get stuck on names and reputations. I think the WA 18's squad needs an injection of life. I'm not convinced about the squad at all.

Why not Joel Rush? He's getting noticed. In all seriousness guys like him and Baxter Phillip (P) could easily play state 18's but the selectors get stuck on names and reputations. I think the WA 18's squad needs an injection of life. I'm not convinced about the squad at all.
Totally agree, Baxter Phillip (P) his team has struggled since winning those first two games and he is still one of the shining lights for them in a big way should be rewarded. Also the like of Joel Rush (PT) has been very consistent all year and one of their better players did make a massive statement to the selectors on the weekend I thought definitely in desperate need of another forward I feel like Darcy Jones (SD) could possibly play a role down there has great goal sense will be interesting and then could maybe add the likes of Christian Wilson (SF) but apparently too small according to people but has some tone about him and is in some elite form.

Round 6:

EF vs Subi Reserves

EF vs Subi League
Glad someone seeing similar on Wolf. I like when rucks/talls do more around the ground but with Wolf Freo has the opportunity to plop him on the list as a Cat-B rookie and let him develop his craft. I suppose it might come down to the fact that we've already got Benning for the long hall (clearly committed to playing a long game given he's only played WAFL reserves so far)

Sgro is one I like and I'd like to see get a state opportunity, he had a game in defence a few weeks back and I really enjoyed what he brought. Joel Rush another interesting one too, I don't think he's overly exciting but would like to see him get a callup similar to Arthur Jones last year, a guy who I thought was alright at Colts level and had room to grow but took his opportunity on the big stage

Interesting headline "Subi stun Sharks", makes out EF colts went into that game raging favorites. Not sure how that could of been possible, considering EF side is playing one of its smallest squads, height wise, in years across the park, with no KPD or ruck of any note....definitely punching above their weight. Cleaver, Spadununa, Smith and McMillan all missing and talls in McManus and Willis playing reserves.....some good youngsters in Shaw, Praxl, Dunscombe and Petersen finding their feet plus a variety of 2nd year colts boys in Yeo, Otto and Scott playing some consistent footy. Can't see EF finishing top 5, whilst Subi should finish top 3 with the obvious talent they have in their squad.

Last edited:
The quiet achievers this year has to go to South Fremantle's Colts.
Did some homework and looked at their Colts stats and where they are rated in the Colts Top 10:
Disposals:
Wilson: 152 Currently 2nd
O'Hehir: 145 Currently 4th
Connor: 132 Currently 6th

Goals:
Brandis :10 Currently 2nd
Marks:
Connor: 37 Currently 2nd
Carr:37 Currently 3rd
O'Hehir: 35 Currently 4th
Wilson: 30 Currently 10th

Kicks:
Connor: 94 Currently 4th
Wilson: 78 Currently 7th

Handballs:
O'Hehir: 74 Currently 1st
Wilson: 74 Currently 2nd
Carr: 45 Currently 9th

Hitouts:
Rockley 106 Currently 1st

Also to note they have had a bye in Round 2 so they are a game behind most teams.
Also Douglas coming back from 1 year off with a damaged kidney.
Possible inclusion of Steele Green or Riley Colborne (both playing League) if required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The quiet achievers this year has to go to South Fremantle's Colts.
Did some homework and looked at their Colts stats and where they are rated in the Colts Top 10:
Disposals:
Wilson: 152 Currently 2nd
O'Hehir: 145 Currently 4th
Connor: 132 Currently 6th

Goals:
Brandis :10 Currently 2nd
Marks:
Connor: 37 Currently 2nd
Carr:37 Currently 3rd
O'Hehir: 35 Currently 4th
Wilson: 30 Currently 10th

Kicks:
Connor: 94 Currently 4th
Wilson: 78 Currently 7th

Handballs:
O'Hehir: 74 Currently 1st
Wilson: 74 Currently 2nd
Carr: 45 Currently 9th

Hitouts:
Rockley 106 Currently 1st

Also to note they have had a bye in Round 2 so they are a game behind most teams.
Also Douglas coming back from 1 year off with a damaged kidney.
Possible inclusion of Steele Green or Riley Colborne (both playing League) if required.
I'm not sure raw stat numbers really show anything. You would expect them to be better than 3-2 with a percentage of 96 given how much ball they get. With how much uncontested footy they're getting (and first use of the ball through Rockley), why aren't they scoring more? Why aren't they capable of kicking big scores? Is it because these midfielders are happy chipping it around to each other but when it comes time to hit a target inside 50, they just can't? From a ball winning perspective, they're doing fantastic, but they've kicked two winning scores in 5 games, and managed to sneak a win against an awful Peel forward kicking performance after the siren. For what it's worth, I think they looked better than Subiaco in Round 1, but a complete lack of forward structure cost them.

is there a limit to the number of players allowed in the state squad or do they just add players that they require?
They can keep adding players as they see fit.

I think they have to add some seasoned players into the squad to assist the draftable kids. If WA get convincingly beaten then clubs will lower the marks on the 18 year olds. Some seasoned players, particularly forwards and a few mids, will give the regarded 18 years olds a chance to shine and play in a winning side and the scouts like winning sides.

Good win by EF colts over SF today.....Yeo, Gangemi and Hagan all getting a bit of the footy.....more so then their SF midfield counterparts.

how’d you find out that davies got added into the squad.I haven’t seen it on The West Australian like Harry Cole

Christ Church defeated Aquinas for the first time in 17 years in a two-point thriller to move to 3-2 for the season as key defender Hugh Davies celebrated his inclusion to the State 18s squad with a massive game.

Davies, who also plays WAFL colts for Claremont, had 29 touches and 10 marks in the 7.9 (51) to 7.7 (49) result for Christ Church to underline why WA selectors rate him so highly.

Skipper Jonah Brooks and Bailey Van Der Struyf did the damage in the midfield with 57 disposals and 10 clearances between them.

Good move and fully deserved. Davies is a good player. WA certainly have their backline covered and there are other backs - like Ethan Barbieri (S) and Angus Laurisson (SD) who could slot into the squad with ease.

Colts Votes Leader Board After Round 7
Votes taken from the WAFL stats page and from one observer who watched live or on stream (Volunteers welcome)
Note - 2004 DOB's Reuben Ginbey (EP), Elijah Hewett (SD), Jedd Busslinger (EP), Steely Green (SF) have played league football in 2022.

+ = Over ager 2003 DOB
** = Below ager 2005 DOB
*** = 2006 DOB

Leader Board Games Votes Ave Goals Max Mumme+ (CL) 3 24 8.00 4 Darcy Jones (SD) 6 44 7.33 6 Michael Sellwood+ (PT) 4 27 6.75 4 Jedd Busslinger (EP) 4 26 6.50 1 Kane Bevan (WP) 6 38 6.33 2 Angus Laurisson+ (SD) 6 38 6.33 - Jed Hagan (EF) 5 30 6.00 2 Jack Cleaver (EF) 4 24 6.00 - Lance Collard** (S) 1 6 6.00 2 Kai Holmes+ (SF) 1 6 6.00 - Luke Yeo (EF) 6 35 5.83 4 Seth Connor+ (SF) 6 35 5.83 2 Jordyn Baker (EP) 5 29 5.80 2 Riley Hardeman** (SD) 6 33 5.50 1 Mitchell Keene** (P) 2 11 5.50 - Mitch Barron (CL) 7 38 5.42 1 Koltyn Tholstrup** (S) 7 36 5.14 19 James Spadanuda (EF) 3 15 5.00 2 Bienfait Kihusa*** (EP) 2 10 5.00 5 Baxter Phillip (P) 6 27 4.50 5 Jack Demarte+ (WP) 4 18 4.50 11 Connor McDonald (P) 2 9 4.50 - Hugh Davies (CL) 2 9 4.50 - Coen Livingstone** (P) 2 9 4.50 1 Joel Rush (PT) 6 24 4.00 3 Corey Tregenza-Cashell+ (PT) 5 20 4.00 9 Christian Wilson (SF) 6 24 4.00 - Reece Torrent** (PT) 6 23 3.83 1 Luca Gangemi (EF) 6 22 3.67 1 Michael Durack (SD) 3 11 3.67 1 Harry Cole (CL) 3 11 3.67 3 Damian Sinclair+ (P) 4 14 3.50 - Ben Fairbank (P) 6 19 3.16 1 Aiden Nelson+ (WP) 6 19 3.16 1 Fletcher Netherway (CL) 6 19 3.16 4 Ethan Barbieri (S) 7 22 3.14 - Dylan O'Dea** (S) 7 21 3.00 - Roan O'Hehir (SF) 6 18 3.00 2 Griff Julian (WP) 5 15 3.00 3 Edward Graham (SF) 2 6 3.00 3 Rudy Webster** (SF) 1 3 3.00 - Joe Matthews** (CL) 1 3 3.00 2 Tyler Messina** (EF) 1 3 3.00 2 Jacob Evitt (S) 7 20 2.85 6 Josh Sukuroski (CL) 7 20 2.85 1 Cameron Hall (P) 6 17 2.83 - Lachlan Turley+ (SF) 6 17 2.83 - Conrad Williams (CL) 3 8 2.67 - Mitchell O'Keefe+ (S) 3 8 2.67 - Jackson Broadbent (PT) 5 13 2.60 1 Mitchell Edwards** (PT) 6 15 2.50 3 Xavier Bradshaw-Pini (EF) 2 5 2.50 5 Riley Sprigg+ (WP) 6 15 2.50 1 Rory Charles (CL) 2 5 2.50 - Sokaa Soka+ (EP) 5 12 2.40 - Mitchell Williams** (EP) 6 14 2.33 13 Richard Bartlett+ (S) 6 14 2.33 10 Daniel Moore+ (EP) 6 14 2.33 - Luke Michael (WP) 6 14 2.33 - Daniel Hill+ (P) 3 7 2.33 - Noah Farrow (WP) 6 14 2.33 8

Heard the State 16s and 18s jumper presentation is on tonight that means the squad pretty much locked in anyone know who else got added besides the likes of Harry Cole and Hugh Davies from Claremont

Remove this Banner Ad

Back