State Focus WA 2022 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

dinnaz

Club Legend
Dec 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
It's that time again with games starting in a few weeks:heartarrow: . So lets keep our eyes peeled and put our heads together and see if we can spot a few gems.

To throw some initial names out to watch:
ClaremontBROWN Luke
ClaremontWOLF William
East FremantleHAGAN Jed
East PerthBUSSLINGER Jedd
PeelBROADBENT Jackson
PeelEDWARDS Mitchell
South FremantleBOURNE Chase
South FremantleBRANDIS Liam
South FremantleROCKLEY Luke
SubiacoCOLLARD Lance
SubiacoHOLDAWAY Connor
Swan DistricsHEWETT Elijah
Swan DistricsJONES Darcy
West PerthMCWHA Liam

Last edited:
I would say WA's premier prospects for the 2022 draft are Hagan(mid/def), Hewett(mid/fwd) & Broadbent(ruck) who all featured strongly in 2021

I would say WA's premier prospects for the 2022 draft are Hagan(mid/def), Hewett(mid/fwd) & Broadbent(ruck) who all featured strongly in 2021

I wouldn't write off Busslinger to be up there as well by the end, whilst Hagan may drift with his height. I think Josh Draper could surprise as well; he will probably go well before the ability for Freo to pick him up as an Academy pick.

Also (In terms of your list) I thought Condon was going to pursue basketball? He has taken up an AIS scholarship for that hasn't he?

I wouldn't write off Busslinger to be up there as well by the end, whilst Hagan may drift with his height. I think Josh Draper could surprise as well; he will probably go well before the ability for Freo to pick him up as an Academy pick.

Also (In terms of your list) I thought Condon was going to pursue basketball? He has taken up an AIS scholarship for that hasn't he?

Tell me about Draper?
Any good small forwards in that list?

And Busslinger is a CHB? I actually think we need to add one soon

the players from WA that i liked from the u17 and u19's state games in 2021.

Elijah Hewett - 182cm - thought his u17 games were decent, but he really stepped it up in the Wafl Colts GF and u19's to be highly regarded
Jed Hagan - 174cm - has been highly regarded for awhile, played ok in the u17 games and was one of the best off hbf in the u19's
Jackson Broadbent - 202cm - built like a man at 16, really strong and dominant ruck at youth level
Sam Gilbey - 185cm - agile quick half back, also good in the air for a medium defender, did ok at u19 level
Kane Bevan - 192cm - strong tallish mid with very clean hands on the ground and in the air, looked good at u19 level
Jedd Busslinger - 195cm - had a great u17 state series, good height, intercepting defender
Jack Cleaver - 187cm - up and down in form, strongly built mid/flanker
Ed Allan - 191cm - only saw the 1 game but he was really impressive, son of Ben Allan, high energy, competitive
Luke Michael - 185cm - had a great u17 series, but didnt really play great in the u19 series, tough competitive defender
Conrad Williams - 182cm - free flowing running winger, a little skinny, but a lot of potential
Luke Brown - 199cm - i have heard a lot about him from WAFL Colts followers, have yet to see more than a few highlights, so a bit of an unknown?
Jacob Evitt - 179cm - i thought he played well at the u17 champs, one that could develop?
Darcy Jones - 173cm - really impressive in the WAFL Colts GF and got a state game, a little short but plays footy at a good level, one also that could develop?

obviously Alex Condon would be included if he didnt take Basketball scholarship.

Last edited:
Watched the full game. Wish I knew the other players but from a Subiaco angle.

18 black-Lance Collard 11 kicks, 3 handballs, 3 marks, 1 goal
36 black-Koltyn Tholstrup 15 kicks, 5 handballs, 12 marks, 2 goals (most of those marks were contested)
27 black-Riley Crane 13 kicks, 6 handballs, 4 marks
10 black-Dylan O'Dea 12 kicks, 1 handball, 3 marks
36 black-Luker Kentfield 6 kicks, 7 handballs, 7 marks, 4 goals
7 black-Austin Chapman 13 kicks, 6 handballs, 2 marks
2 black-Lachlan MacRae 10 kicks, 8 handballs, 6 marks

Hopefully others can identify players from the rest of the clubs.

Last edited:
I posted this on another thread but will copy here. Also, were is Conrad and Williams- they dont seem to have playd yet?

Looked up the Wa boys for drafting this year and where they have playd Wafl in the preseason so far (2 weeks in out of 4). Tried to think of the boys who were in the state team last year. Could of missed some.

League
Busslinger
Cleaver
Bourne
Hewett

Reserves
Gilbey
Ledger
Hagan

These ones have played Colts.
Broadbent
Draper
Hardeman
Luke Brown
Evitt
De Masi
Tholstrup
Scaife
Bevan
Michael
Carbone
Julian

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no doubt that WA's Koltyn Tholstrup is going to move up the 2023 draft rankings by years end. He is quite a mercurial forward.

Some quick notes for R1 of WAFL colts
Hewett is playing league later on

Busslinger having an absolute day out vs Swans
Hagan working his way into the game 3rd quarter, a few missed kicks but is just so solid
Broadbent is an absolute monster, center bounces are like watching space jam

Last edited:
Elijah Hewett:
KHDMTHOI50FFFAGB
3​
8​
11​
1​
5​
0​
0​
1​
1​
0​
0​

On league debut for Swan Districts against East Perth. A tight tough tussle and good game where the whole last quarter was basically within a goal.
Split a his time up fwd and through the guts. Didn't let anybody down but I didn't see a lot in the final quarter when the game was on the line.
A few things I noticed:
Got on the move at stoppages and definitely seems a natural outside receiver type looking for the handball receive or a give and get.
Continuously started in a good spot front position, but tended to allow his direct opponent to get past him for first crack at the footy.
When forward ran to dangerous areas but didn't manage to break the duck. All in all a solid debut.

Tell me about Draper?

I've seen a bit of him. He's a good size (195 according to the WAFL site) but can run and is very agile. Lands like a cat to follow up after marking contests. Playing key forward atm but I've seen him play everywhere from forward, to wing, to ruck. East Freo double teamed him every chance they got yesterday.

I'd be super excited for Freo to get him but I'd be pretty surprised if he lasted past 40.

What about Tregenza
Big lump of a lad, nowhere near as fit or athletic as Draper. He's kicking goals consistently but also two-grabbing a lot of his marks at the moment. Wouldn't surprise me if he kicks a few big bags this year if he fixes that up, but I doubt he has the athleticism for AFL clubs to be too interested.

Big lump of a lad, nowhere near as fit or athletic as Draper. He's kicking goals consistently but also two-grabbing a lot of his marks at the moment. Wouldn't surprise me if he kicks a few big bags this year if he fixes that up, but I doubt he has the athleticism for AFL clubs to be too interested.
Rod Tregenzas son so probably a late bloomer. I reckon he'll fix the fitness issues this year.

Rod Tregenzas son so probably a late bloomer. I reckon he'll fix the fitness issues this year.
It is his first year of Colts as a top ager so he's probably a year or two behind where he could have been if he'd been in the system from the start.

Colts Votes Leader Board After Round 1
Votes taken from the WAFL stats page and from one observer who watched live or on stream (Volunteers welcome)
+ = Over ager 2003 DOB
** = Below ager 2005 DOB

Leader Board Games Votes Ave PG Goals Seth Connor+ (SF) 1 12 12.00 - Michael Durack (SD) 1 11 11.00 - Jack Demarte+ (WP) 1 11 11.00 4 Kane Bevan (WP) 1 11 11.00 1 Jedd Busslinger (EP) 1 10 10.00 1 Jed Hagan (EF) 1 10 10.00 1 Koltyn Tholstrup** (S) 1 9 9.00 3 Connor Carbone (PT) 1 9 9.00 - Will Bailey (CL) 1 8 8.00 1 Jordyn Baker (EP) 1 7 7.00 - Kai Holmes+ (SF) 1 6 6.00 - Lance Collard** (S) 1 6 6.00 2 Michael Sellwood+ (PT) 1 6 6.00 - Angus Laurisson+ (SD) 1 6 6.00 - Daniel Gathercole (WP) 1 6 6.00 - Darcy Jones (SD) 1 6 6.00 - Ethan Barbieri (S) 1 6 6.00 - Hugh Davies (CL) 1 5 5.00 - Josh Ledger (CL) 1 5 5.00 - Joel Rush (PT) 1 5 5.00 1 Jacob Evitt (S) 1 5 5.00 - Robert Hansen Jr (S) 1 4 4.00 2 Mitch Miller (EP) 1 4 4.00 3 Darcy Craven (EP) 1 4 4.00 - Will Anderson (EF) 1 4 4.00 - Corey Tregenza-Cashell+ (PT) 1 4 4.00 3 Reece Torrent** (PT) 1 4 4.00 - Rudy Webster** (SF) 1 3 3.00 - Conrad Williams (CL) 1 3 3.00 - Aiden Riddle** (CL) 1 3 3.00 - Thanakhan Chaichana (EP) 1 3 3.00 - James Spadanuda (EF) 1 3 3.00 - Jack Cleaver (EF) 1 3 3.00 - Jackson McClellan (PT) 1 3 3.00 - Zane Wearing** (PT) 1 3 3.00 -

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back