Society/Culture WA borders to be shut Tuesday at 1:30 PM. NT confirmed to shut at 4pm on Tuesday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone else heard anything about this?

My boss contacted me early, with nothing definitive but told me he'd been told that the WA State Government had contacted the big company that I work for and said that the state will be shut down for at least 2 weeks. Have any of the WA posters on here heard anything similar?

I'm due to fly back over there on Tuesday so will get back in before the ban if it does indeed eventuate.

If it's just a 14 day isolation then I'm good, if it's longer then I need to sort alternatives. At the moment alternatives I have are fly on Tuesday as per normal, drive over which means I'll need to leave tomorrow some time or just take holidays and stay home.

I see that NT are closing theirs at 4pm on Tuesday but fifo workers will have an exemption so I could be good to go as per normal.

Nov 17, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
Actually might not be the worst idea - isolate and cure WA/NT/Tas, keep up a disproportionately high supply of test kits to make sure they stay on top of it, and maybe those states could get to live relatively normal lifestyles throughout this?

East coast is probably too interconnected for it to work here, but at least we'd have some of the country running close to normal

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I've just flown from Sao Paulo Brazil into Orlando Florida. South america is on nearly total lockdown.

People in Peru and Equador can't even leave those countries. They're stuck there with hostels closing around them, no food and barred from going outside. Likely they'll be there for months unless the governments arrange repatriation.

I fly to LA tomorow and then onwards to Melbourne.

I dont known whether to immediately get a connecting flight from Melbourne to Perth and quarantine in WA or stick around in Melbourne and do it there (I have places in each state to crash).

I dont really want to have to quarantine twice.

Airports are ******* creepy places right now. PA systems blaring out info about the disease. Barely any people about, flights getting cancelled left right and centre and everyone is in masks and gloves.

Its surreal.

Apparently SA is looking at this too.

With NSW being the epicentre of this, I wouldn't be against all states restricting non essential travel over their borders

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
Apparently SA is looking at this too.

With NSW being the epicentre of this, I wouldn't be against all states restricting non essential travel over their borders

Shut the AFL down and whoever is at the top of the ladder after Round 1 they become premiers.

Shut the AFL down and whoever is at the top of the ladder after Round 1 they become premiers.

no way, we had to play friggin carlton!!!! you try staying awake for 4 quarters against that lot!

No point risking it by finishing round 1

Just call it now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've just flown from Sao Paulo Brazil into Orlando Florida. South america is on nearly total lockdown.

People in Peru and Equador can't even leave those countries. They're stuck there with hostels closing around them, no food and barred from going outside. Likely they'll be there for months unless the governments arrange repatriation.

I fly to LA tomorow and then onwards to Melbourne.

I dont known whether to immediately get a connecting flight from Melbourne to Perth and quarantine in WA or stick around in Melbourne and do it there (I have places in each state to crash).

I dont really want to have to quarantine twice.

Airports are ******* creepy places right now. PA systems blaring out info about the disease. Barely any people about, flights getting cancelled left right and centre and everyone is in masks and gloves.

Its surreal.

I was in Brazil a couple of weeks ago, I thought I saw you.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
WA to shut from 1:30pm Tuesday. Unless exempt, people with have to isolate for 14 days. Mining and trucking are exempt.

Premier Mark McGowan has just announced the strict new border control measures will be enforced in WA from 1.30pm on Tuesday.

Unless exempt, arrivals from interstate will be required to self-isolate for 14 days. Mining and trucking industries will be exempt.

Mr McGowan said the mining industry would need to massively reduce its footprint, keeping only critical operations active

He also said the State was looking at acquiring some hotels as self-isolation zones for people who refuse to self-isolate, or have nowhere to go.

Rottnest was also a strong possibility to be set up as a quarantine zone for the whole of WA.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
On a related note, QLD has shut its borders with NT.

Have no idea why we haven't shut the border with NSW yet - it's practically Australia's coronavirus hub.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Isn't this unconstitutional?
Apparently nobody cares any more.

It is okay for the government to ignore the constitution right now, because thousands of old people died in Italy and other countries.

Also on social media the celebrities are telling us to do whatever the government says. They're celebrities, they care about us.

After all, this is a very strong flu, who cares about the consitution when there is a very strong flu going around?

Apparently nobody cares any more.

It is okay for the government to ignore the constitution right now, because thousands of old people died in Italy and other countries.

Also on social media the celebrities are telling us to do whatever the government says. They're celebrities, they care about us.

After all, this is a very strong flu, who cares about the consitution when there is a very strong flu going around?

The Constitution gives the govt broad powers to override the Constitution in circumstances such as these.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
At about 9pm on Monday night, I was told to fly over to WA by my bosses on my regular flight on Tuesday night. They told me that fifo workers were 100% exempt from the 14 day self isolation. I watched the full presser of McGowan and Everingham and I told them that, that wasn't exactly true. If you were deemed a critical worker then you were 100% exempt. I asked if my manager needed to email me something to say that I was critical or if my name would be on a list at the airport. Nah, they said, just get off the plane and walk out of the terminal, don't tell them anything. Yeah, ok, I won't be doing that.

8:45am (5:45am) the next morning, work ring me up, errr, we've had a think about it overnight, don't fly just in case they tell you to go home again. Roger, another 3 weeks at home.

They contact me again last night at 8pm, I'm now 100% clear to fly to WA on 14 April. My flight has been brought forward from 8:45pm to 12:45pm and my flight back home 2 weeks later is no longer the red-eye at 11:45pm on the Tuesday night, it's now 10:00am the following morning, on Wednesday.

The situation is changing so much and so rapidly that I doubt this will still be the case in 3 weeks time when I'm due to fly again.

Back