WA Covid Outbreak 31/01/2021

Sumwun

Senior List
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
So if the WA reams aren't allowed to train together for at least the next five days, surely in the interests of fairness no other team can train together?
This is what happened last year when some teams were restricted by covid and others weren't.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
So if the WA reams aren't allowed to train together for at least the next five days, surely in the interests of fairness no other team can train together?
This is what happened last year when some teams were restricted by covid and others weren't.

More than half the league to be precise. It is five days, I am sure the WA teams will survive this dark winter.

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Im not trusting McGowan.... wildcats game cancelled Saturday, but no news conference until lunchtime Sunday. Edit ... ok just seen breakers couldn't enter the state. I'm still jumping at a conspiracy 😉

Shut down the state for 1 case? Will we be doing this each time there is a case?

Was his wording of "no overnight cases" important? I heard from someone at a clinic there were over 30 cases yesterday....

Interested to see the update from him later today.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Im not trusting McGowan.... wildcats game cancelled Saturday, but no news conference until lunchtime Sunday. Edit ... ok just seen breakers couldn't enter the state. I'm still jumping at a conspiracy 😉

Shut down the state for 1 case? Will we be doing this each time there is a case?

Was his wording of "no overnight cases" important? I heard from someone at a clinic there were over 30 cases yesterday....

Interested to see the update from him later today.

Rumours running wild in WA I see.....

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
So what's the go with this highly contagious strain that nobody else got?

Did we just lock the state down over a false positive?

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
I wonder if McGowan will close his borders to Victoria after tonight’s events wouldn’t surprise me if he did

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
Yeh they they Think he is some type of hero over here, it’s hard to knock him as we have been living pretty normal for some time but he certainly is a panic merchant.
Can see why he is a panic merchant it’s not like he had to deal with COVID-19 outbreak’s like the rest of Australia for 10 months.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
pretty suspicious huh. Either its not that infectious or he didn't have it.
Personally I don’t think the UK strain is as infectious as claimed. Cases there climbed at the same rate in the spring as they did over new year, and declined at the same rate in the December lock down as they are in the current one. Unless it was predominant in September too, that puts the claims in doubt. While I’ve no doubt it’s more infectious than variants we’ve dealt with previously, I don’t think it needs significantly different management in the community.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Does the creator of this thread work for the mainstream media?

1 case is an outbreak? Sensationalist garbage that prays on people's vulnerabilities and anxiety.

Saw the worst of it this morning too with the ONE case in Victoria.

Let's aim to use appropriate descriptions moving forward if starting a new thread on this topic please.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So what's the go with this highly contagious strain that nobody else got?

Did we just lock the state down over a false positive?
You only test positive once you become contagious. Bloke tested positive on 30th, but had already started isolating by that point. All those people he came in contact with were most likely at a time when he wasn't yet contagious. The incubation period of this virus is anywhere from 1-14 days, with most people being in the 5-7 day time bracket. Before that, you aren't contagious. It's believed he was exposed on 24th, which means it's entirely likely he wasn't contagious until around 29th/30th January anyway.

It wasn't a false positive, we may have just got very lucky in terms of WHEN he became contagious. Considering this guy spends his spare time covering every square foot of Perth, he could've become a superspreader if he became contagious much earlier

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
You only test positive once you become contagious. Bloke tested positive on 30th, but had already started isolating by that point. All those people he came in contact with were most likely at a time when he wasn't yet contagious. The incubation period of this virus is anywhere from 1-14 days, with most people being in the 5-7 day time bracket. Before that, you aren't contagious. It's believed he was exposed on 24th, which means it's entirely likely he wasn't contagious until around 29th/30th January anyway.

It wasn't a false positive, we may have just got very lucky in terms of WHEN he became contagious. Considering this guy spends his spare time covering every square foot of Perth, he could've become a superspreader if he became contagious much earlier
So.....if he did infect his house mates when he became contagious (29/30) they wouldn't test positive until about now?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So.....if he did infect his house mates when he became contagious (29/30) they wouldn't test positive until about now?
They could theoretically test positive as late as around 12th February, based on the maximum incubation period of 14 days. It's why they had to lockdown, because of the uncertainty around when exactly he became contagious

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
They could theoretically test positive as late as around 12th February, based on the maximum incubation period of 14 days. It's why they had to lockdown, because of the uncertainty around when exactly he became contagious
So we aren't really in the clear yet.... the same for everyone he came in contact with would apply.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So we aren't really in the clear yet.... the same for everyone he came in contact with would apply.
Pretty much, yeah. If we get through to Friday with 0 cases still, then it's extremely likely there were no infections, but there's no absolute certainty for another week. The reassuring part is that the vast majority of cases have incubation period of 5-7 days, and the 7th day (assuming he became contagious the day he tested positive and no earlier) would be Friday 5th.

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Do the thousands of people tested earlier in the week have to go back for additional tests on say the 7th & 14th day? Sounds like it could still go nuts and we open up again at 6pm tomorrow.....

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Do the thousands of people tested earlier in the week have to go back for additional tests on say the 7th & 14th day? Sounds like it could still go nuts and we open up again at 6pm tomorrow.....
Probably should be, but they'll likely only recommend it if they start developing symptoms. There is so much chance involved in situations like this. There is definitely that small chance a breakout could occur, but the odds do shrink by the day so all we can do is hope from here.

It's why they locked down in the first place despite it "only being 1 case". The potential spread that could have occurred if certain factors worked against us meant that we simply had to hard lockdown. This guy travelled basically all over Perth in the time frame he could have been contagious. Let's just hope he wasn't

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Probably should be, but they'll likely only recommend it if they start developing symptoms. There is so much chance involved in situations like this. There is definitely that small chance a breakout could occur, but the odds do shrink by the day so all we can do is hope from here.

It's why they locked down in the first place despite it "only being 1 case". The potential spread that could have occurred if certain factors worked against us meant that we simply had to hard lockdown. This guy travelled basically all over Perth in the time frame he could have been contagious. Let's just hope he wasn't
You sound like a knowledgeable chap.....got another one for you..

Given the way that COVID-19 mutates so rapidly, does that increase the likelihood that it was a strain of COVID manipulated in a lab (eg combined with 1 or 2 other strains....or whatever, Im no scientist) which subsequently leaked? making it more adaptable?

I would almost prefer that to it being a regular strain we caught from bats or what-not.

Back