Unsolved WA Family Who Vanished - The Nannup doomsday cult

Remove this Banner Ad

A coronial inquest was set up to shed light on one of the most baffling mysteries in Western Australia this century — the suspected deaths of a WA family linked to a doomsday cult.

But rather than offering up answers for what happened, the family's fate is now shrouded in more mystery, with serious doubt over whether the four missing people are even dead.

Internet cult leader Simon Kadwell, his partner Chantelle McDougall, their five-year-old daughter Leela and friend Antonio Popic, who lived in a caravan on the rural property the family was renting, vanished in July 2007 from the South West WA town of Nannup.

The inquest gave an insight into the group's "bizarre, alternative lifestyle".

They told friends and family they were moving to Brazil to join a spiritual community because they felt they did not belong in modern society.

A note saying they had gone to Brazil was the only clue they left behind.

But they have not travelled overseas on their passports and their bank accounts remain untouched.

Prior to their disappearance, Mr Kadwell told a woman in his online cult forum that he was planning a "peaceful" family suicide pact.

When the woman said that would amount to murdering his young daughter, Mr Kadwell reneged on the idea and said they would instead move to an isolated area where they could not be reached.

Over the past decade police have been at a loss as to what happened.

Did the family move to Brazil under false identities? Are they living "off the grid" at an isolated location? Did they take their own lives? Or were they murdered?

Casefile did an outstanding podcast on their disappearances, if anyone wants to catch up on it highly recommend. Simon Kadwell was essentially a con man.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]Shane Low, who writes under the non de plume Sir Laughs a Lot basically jumps into the conspiracy theory that Peter Eyre promoted quite some time ago which had it's genesis in the 1990's that the British Tory party siphoned of a considerable amount of money that was supposedly to be used to pay a ransom to a middle East arms dealer who had hijacked a south african nuclear warhead being shipped to the UK for disassembling. The conspiracy theory took many forms.
Supposedly, Shann is saying that Gary Felton was an MI5 agent and had been sent to Australia to track him down because he downloaded or was sent some file proving all this from an investigator to mind, who was bumped off.
IMO. Total obfuscation.

One must remark upon his other posts though, which accuse the missing Nannup four of interfering with his business in relation to timber licenses and an incredible list of all the people that Shann imagines as doing him wrong ending up as shark food.

Either Shann was on the turps, making up stuff, which seems to have form at upon fishing forums, or there is something there about his own personal dealings with the Nannup four in which he sobers up, realising he might've said too much, and so muddys the waters with a conspiracy theory involving Simon Kadwell being an MI5 agent, and the four being spirited out of Australia

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It seems most likely that Chantelle, Leela and Tony are dead and Kadwell has taken off with 25 grand Tonys parent gave him and has taken on a new identity. Very sad. Although devious, Kadwell hasn't always acted smartley so I think he forgot to take the money from Chantelle's account before she passed. i cant see them surviving in the wilderness for the last ten years. Australian landscape would just not support that. Only other idea is he used the money for fake passports and they are in Brazil. Would 25 grand be enough for fake passports? I have no idea!!

It seems most likely that Chantelle, Leela and Tony are dead and Kadwell has taken off with 25 grand Tonys parent gave him and has taken on a new identity. Very sad. Although devious, Kadwell hasn't always acted smartley so I think he forgot to take the money from Chantelle's account before she passed. i cant see them surviving in the wilderness for the last ten years. Australian landscape would just not support that. Only other idea is he used the money for fake passports and they are in Brazil. Would 25 grand be enough for fake passports? I have no idea!!

From memory, Kadwell has form in creating new identities. Agree, he's alive somewhere imo, far easier for one person to make a new life for themselves under a false identity but for a family to get away with it when they have a child who would always draw attention, not so easy.

Shane Low, who writes under the non de plume Sir Laughs a Lot basically jumps into the conspiracy theory that Peter Eyre promoted quite some time ago which had it's genesis in the 1990's that the British Tory party siphoned of a considerable amount of money that was supposedly to be used to pay a ransom to a middle East arms dealer who had hijacked a south african nuclear warhead being shipped to the UK for disassembling. The conspiracy theory took many forms.
Supposedly, Shann is saying that Gary Felton was an MI5 agent and had been sent to Australia to track him down because he downloaded or was sent some file proving all this from an investigator to mind, who was bumped off.
IMO. Total obfuscation.

One must remark upon his other posts though, which accuse the missing Nannup four of interfering with his business in relation to timber licenses and an incredible list of all the people that Shann imagines as doing him wrong ending up as shark food.

Either Shann was on the turps, making up stuff, which seems to have form at upon fishing forums, or there is something there about his own personal dealings with the Nannup four in which he sobers up, realising he might've said too much, and so muddys the waters with a conspiracy theory involving Simon Kadwell being an MI5 agent, and the four being spirited out of Australia

I am not sure about anything TBH. All I know is two females want my demise because I wanted one out of my area. Her kids were a bit bad. oh & one local crim does not like me. Oh dear.

I am not sure about anything TBH. All I know is two females want my demise because I wanted one out of my area. Her kids were a bit bad. oh & one local crim does not like me. Oh dear.
Just about everyone is in that boat ;)
If anyone actually knew where the missing Nannup four were, they'd coughed up by now with some proof.

And I am not in communication with anyone on here that I do not know of... No point.
I'm always surprised by how many people on here turn out to be within six degrees of separation in some way or another.

Although, I think it's in most people's nature to want to solve a mystery. But, there's no short cuts in this one. No weird arse theories without any proof will make them magically appear and confirm that they sailed away SAS style on some British Submarine moored of the coast or something. You may as well invest your money in a unicorn farm.

The coroner couldn't determine if on the balance of probabilities that they're dead, which I thought would've been the outcome IMO. I'm surprised that he didn't order a search of Northcliffe. It seemed to be the best lead based upon the bus ticket and evidence of people finding a tee shirt and smelling something.

IMO Gary, if he was alive, wouldn't change his spots and his MO would be apparent on the internet, and we would've found him by now.

They're dead. I dare Gary Felton to come and say otherwise

I'm always surprised by how many people on here turn out to be within six degrees of separation in some way or another.

Although, I think it's in most people's nature to want to solve a mystery. But, there's no short cuts in this one. No weird arse theories without any proof will make them magically appear and confirm that they sailed away SAS style on some British Submarine moored of the coast or something. You may as well invest your money in a unicorn farm.

The coroner couldn't determine if on the balance of probabilities that they're dead, which I thought would've been the outcome IMO. I'm surprised that he didn't order a search of Northcliffe. It seemed to be the best lead based upon the bus ticket and evidence of people finding a tee shirt and smelling something.

IMO Gary, if he was alive, wouldn't change his spots and his MO would be apparent on the internet, and we would've found him by now.

They're dead. I dare Gary Felton to come and say otherwise

Yes, this six degrees of separation can be quite scary.
The reason i believe he is still alive is that if he died with them he would have made sure they were found, he was a narcissist, this would have been his claim to fame or last statement/proof of his beliefs. As they have not been found, I believe he is still alive as there needs to be some one left to hide the bodies. It's pretty hard to hide your own body when your dead, though with a lot of though it is possible. He is a know con man and lair, he religious ideology was ridiculed by many, so maybe he has given up on that and taken a different tak which just hasn't been connected to him yet? He quite likely is not even in Australia.
i have never heard about the 'Northcliffe' situation, but on hearing this I do wish the coroner had maybe been a little more thorough.

Yes, this six degrees of separation can be quite scary.
The reason i believe he is still alive is that if he died with them he would have made sure they were found, he was a narcissist, this would have been his claim to fame or last statement/proof of his beliefs. As they have not been found, I believe he is still alive as there needs to be some one left to hide the bodies. It's pretty hard to hide your own body when your dead, though with a lot of though it is possible. He is a know con man and lair, he religious ideology was ridiculed by many, so maybe he has given up on that and taken a different tak which just hasn't been connected to him yet? He quite likely is not even in Australia.
i have never heard about the 'Northcliffe' situation, but on hearing this I do wish the coroner had maybe been a little more thorough.
Unless he wanted us all to think that they all ascended to some weird arse alien rapture where he becomes the server of his own delusional Devine plan. Bodies stinking up the house would be counter productive to maintaining his death cult delusions.

One thing we can be certain about is that on the 12th of July, Chantelle knew or was aware something was going to happen. Due to the sale of the cars and the dogs and her hasty behavior with the lady she 'sold' the to. Kadwell obviously knew he had to make a move as his identity had been queried and he would have been worried about his connection to the 2 back packers who had committed suicide after visiting him. He was feeling the heat.
Does any one know
# the date the backpackers visited?
# the date they committed suicide?
# the date Popic went to Perth? and why?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing we can be certain about is that on the 12th of July, Chantelle knew or was aware something was going to happen. Due to the sale of the cars and the dogs and her hasty behavior with the lady she 'sold' the to. Kadwell obviously knew he had to make a move as his identity had been queried and he would have been worried about his connection to the 2 back packers who had committed suicide after visiting him. He was feeling the heat.
Does any one know
# the date the backpackers visited?
# the date they committed suicide?
# the date Popic went to Perth? and why?

Cadwell/Fenton killed his family and left the country. Obviously has form creating false travel documents. What happened to Popovic is another question though.

A small group of Aussies living together off grid in a foreign country gets found out about sooner or later.

The bloodied clothes found by prison workers is interesting though. Shame things like that weren't investigated in time.

Thank you Redacted, after reading the coroners report it seems to me that the family went along with the original plan of the suicide of Simon, Chantelle and leela with Tony disposing of the bodies. Tony then caught the train to Kalgoorlie and walked into the wilderness, probably ending up in an old mine shaft never to be found again. All those train tickets were just a ruse so he couldn't be followed. Only query here though, is Simon did not leave a not pertaining to his 'ascension'!

Thank you Redacted, after reading the coroners report it seems to me that the family went along with the original plan of the suicide of Simon, Chantelle and leela with Tony disposing of the bodies. Tony then caught the train to Kalgoorlie and walked into the wilderness, probably ending up in an old mine shaft never to be found again. All those train tickets were just a ruse so he couldn't be followed. Only query here though, is Simon did not leave a not pertaining to his 'ascension'!
He discussed this intention with his internet cult followers. https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...l/news-story/b828be6ad139699e509c94ce62bc5292

Taking into account all the evidence the Coroner who is the best person to judge, says some or all of the four may be alive.

Gary Felton also known as Simon Kadwell may have persuaded his followers to commit suicide including his partner, but I can't see him depriving the world of his intellect and teachings (his reasoning for not suiciding)!!

He was witnessed receiving a passport not long before they disappeared and he said it was for Leela If there was a dead body in Norhtcliffe I'd suggest this might have been Chantelle and he would have been happy to take off overseas with Leela to followers of his cult somewhere overseas. Witnesses thought Brazil was a distraction, to mislead Gary's true destination.

The homeless woman who could only speak English found in Rome in November 2016 was initially suspected she could have been Leela, who would have been around 15. Apparently Leelsas grandparents were shown a picture and they didn't think she looked like her.

Then a Swedish man came forward and said "That's my girl" a 21 year old who had ran away 6 moths previously, although he hadn't reported her missing. He said she was 21 and her name Embla Hauhajouvi.

However the Leela's unique ears match the unknown English speaking woman's while Embla's don't.

Don't think the Australian police used DNA to confirm, but I presume the Italian police checked to see if the father was actually her father. The unknown woman refused to go with him and left separately.

While I don't think Embla or her father are Leela or Gary Felton. But what are the chances Gary was associated with him and gave a DNA sample?

What are the chances that Leela is the unknown English speaking woman that was found in Rome and where is she now?
1571914874813.png

1571915857050.png 1571915931053.png

1. Age progressed image of Leela. 2.English speaking homeless woman in Rome in 2016 (Wish she smiled to see if she has gap in front teeth)

Taking into account all the evidence the Coroner who is the best person to judge, says some or all of the four may be alive.

Gary Felton also known as Simon Kadwell may have persuaded his followers to commit suicide including his partner, but I can't see him depriving the world of his intellect and teachings (his reasoning for not suiciding)!!

He was witnessed receiving a passport not long before they disappeared and he said it was for Leela If there was a dead body in Norhtcliffe I'd suggest this might have been Chantelle and he would have been happy to take off overseas with Leela to followers of his cult somewhere overseas. Witnesses thought Brazil was a distraction, to mislead Gary's true destination.

The homeless woman who could only speak English found in Rome in November 2016 was initially suspected she could have been Leela, who would have been around 15. Apparently Leelsas grandparents were shown a picture and they didn't think she looked like her.

Then a Swedish man came forward and said "That's my girl" a 21 year old who had ran away 6 moths previously, although he hadn't reported her missing. He said she was 21 and her name Embla Hauhajouvi.

However the Leela's unique ears match the unknown English speaking woman's while Embla's don't.

Don't think the Australian police used DNA to confirm, but I presume the Italian police checked to see if the father was actually her father. The unknown woman refused to go with him and left separately.

While I don't think Embla or her father are Leela or Gary Felton. But what are the chances Gary was associated with him and gave a DNA sample?

What are the chances that Leela is the unknown English speaking woman that was found in Rome and where is she now?
View attachment 769880

View attachment 769889View attachment 769890

1. Age progressed image of Leela. 2.English speaking homeless woman in Rome in 2016 (Wish she smiled to see if she has gap in front teeth)

Well BlueE you certainly put a twist on this!! I can't really see the ears enough to tell if they are similar but the face certainly looks similar. And you are right, some or all could be alive. We don't really know who the passport was for, it could have been a fake one for leela and he could already have a new identity for himself sorted!

Well BlueE you certainly put a twist on this!! I can't really see the ears enough to tell if they are similar but the face certainly looks similar. And you are right, some or all could be alive. We don't really know who the passport was for, it could have been a fake one for leela and he could already have a new identity for himself sorted!
Can only see the lower half of the unknown English speaking woman from Rome. They have an unusual shape and attachment to her head that is the same as Leela. The published photo of Leela at under 6 years old shows the same unusual shape and attachment that is confirmed by the police progressed image of Leela.

The eyes in the progressed image look the same with the same eye lids as the unknown homeless woman found in Rome.

This is where DNA can solve this. I assume DNA of the unknown woman was taken, has this been compared to Leela's grandparents?

Remembering that Simon Kadwell / Gary Felton is Leela's biological father, was there a sample provided by the father in Rome and does this match any of Gary Felton's relatives in England?

1571965980751.png

Same eyelids? Top is progressed police image of Leela McDougall. Bottom is unknown homwless English woman found in Rome November 2016.

Can only see the lower half of the unknown English speaking woman from Rome. They have an unusual shape and attachment to her head that is the same as Leela. The published photo of Leela at under 6 years old shows the same unusual shape and attachment that is confirmed by the police progressed image of Leela.

The eyes in the progressed image look the same with the same eye lids as the unknown homeless woman found in Rome.

This is where DNA can solve this. I assume DNA of the unknown woman was taken, has this been compared to Leela's grandparents?

Remembering that Simon Kadwell / Gary Felton is Leela's biological father, was there a sample provided by the father in Rome and does this match any of Gary Felton's relatives in England?

View attachment 770085

Same eyelids? Top is progressed police image of Leela McDougall. Bottom is unknown homwless English woman found in Rome November 2016.
I certainly hope they did DNA testing but I really think they wouldn't have bothered as the young girl went off on her own accord the Police must have thought she was well enough to look after herself. So no need.

I certainly hope they did DNA testing but I really think they wouldn't have bothered as the young girl went off on her own accord the Police must have thought she was well enough to look after herself. So no need.
The woman said she was 20 and refused to go with the man who said he was her father.

I think Australian police should have been more proactive in asking for Italian police to compare Leela's grandparents DNA. They had alerted Interpol and the real Simon Cadwell was detained in England 2 years after the disappearance, which is how they found Gary Felton had stolen his identity.

Considering they had Interpol looking for the family, the least Italian cops could do when they were contacted by Australian Police was take DNA of the unknown woman and the man who said he was her father.

Three years ago when this came up I thought this woman could have been Leela and now I'm concerned how it's OK for Australian police to turn to hackers to try to find 12 missing people including Leela McDougall who are set loose to look at anyone's random information but they didn't investigate this unknown woman in Rome and Embla and Tuhvo Jauhojärvi, from Stockholm, in Sweden.

Last edited:
The woman said she was 20 and refused to go with the man who said he was her father.

I think Australian police should have been more proactive in asking for Italian police to compare Leela's grandparents DNA. They had alerted Interpol and the real Simon Cadwell was detained in England 2 years after the disappearance, which is how they found Gary Felton had stolen his identity.

Considering they had Interpol looking for the family, the least Italian cops could do when they were contacted by Australian Police was take DNA of the unknown woman and the man who said he was her father.

Three years ago when this came up I thought this woman could have been Leela and now I'm concerned how it's OK for Australian police to turn to hackers to try to find 12 missing people including Leela McDougall who are set loose to look at anyone's random information but they didn't investigate this unknown woman in Rome and Embla and Tuhvo Jauhojärvi, from Stockholm, in Sweden.

At 20 years old I don't think they could force her to give DNA?

At 20 years old I don't think they could force her to give DNA?
But what if she was only 15?

Australian police contacted Italian to say it could be Leela and there were many ways the cops could have grabbed a glass or bottle she had a drink from is there was any suggestion she may have been part of a missing family led by a con man, where some of them may have been murdeted.

Anyhow rather than set 28 hackers to randomly troll the Internet to look for them I'd suggest they relook at this case and find out what happened to this English speaking homeless girl and the man who was supposed to be her father.

But what if she was only 15?

Australian police contacted Italian to say it could be Leela and there were many ways the cops could have grabbed a glass or bottle she had a drink from is there was any suggestion she may have been part of a missing family led by a con man, where some of them may have been murdeted.

Anyhow rather than set 28 hackers to randomly troll the Internet to look for them I'd suggest they relook at this case and find out what happened to this English speaking homeless girl and the man who was supposed to be her father.
I had been persuing leads of internet cults with with similar themes to what Gary Felton created with Truth Fellowship. Most were dead ends, or said they didn't suspect Gary Felton was amongst them. In April 2018 I queried this one (pictured). The response was unusual, he locked his twitter account, then deleted it. I found an interesting George Papavangelou family trust established In Victoria April 13 2000, which also appeared to of hastily closed up and disappeared from company search records on the internet. I believe it's linked to the Twitter account.

Following those leads and this one The New Call - Backup Website
I came upon Brother "Gee" who says he's American, but the blogspot domains he's linked to are all .au Australian.

These to me, are active leads, if those hackers want to pursue them further, good luck, but whoever's involved in this Whether George Papavangelou is a real person or an alias is evasive and locks accounts as soon as you ask about the missing people from Nannup.
d5dfd8c8e72cd3881e8c6cbbfcdedca1.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back