State Focus WA 2019 - Western Australia's junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny because reading the paper this morning East Freos best players didnt match mine.

Anyway I will call it as I saw it:
I got there at 1/4 time and East Fremantle had a fast start.
Claremont managed to edge a bit closer by half time, but with Easts still seemingly in control.
After half time the game went up a notch the intensity increased and was really good to watch. Claremont came hard and had Easts on the ropes.
A lot of good work done by their blonde ruckman no. 25 Callum Jamieson (I think) halving the knocks with Jackson and working hard around the ground taking good contested marks and using the ball well. Liam Henry went into the middle, got his hands on the ball and oozed class with his sideways movement and uncanny ball use, consistently picking and hitting the right options.
Joel Western was tough inside and electrifying on the outside setting up many plays and scoring opportunities. Anthony Davis provided a strong mobile marking target at half forward.
While all this was going on East Freo were trying to stem the tide, mainly through their backs and midfield. Chad Warner worked tirelessly inside and Lachie Taylor was dropping into and finding space off half back. Keanu Haddow was doing everything he could at fullback to compete, halving the contest down there. Trent Rivers was everywhere gathering telling posessions at will without seeming explosive. Trey Ruscoe was working hard at the coal face but Claremont were getting them on the outside. Nothing in it at 3/4 time.
The start of the fourth quarter saw the igniter Liam Henry taken out of the middle to full fwd and eventually off the ground to not have an impact in the last (it seemed like he was somewhat managed) Claremont continued the fourth the way they finished the third and were able to hit the lead mainly through the players mentioned above.
East Fremantle then dug deep and Ruscoe began to wear down his opponents to gather more footy in the forward half. He then went up forward and took telling marks and kicked two telling goals. One set shot and one in general play. Sam Emery hit the ball with intensity and used the ball well across the forward line with a real sense of team first mentality (he put his body on the line to win the footy, then lowered his eyes to use it well)
Taylor and Warner continued to work hard. Rivers was once again prominent, with long clearing kicks out of defence and Brandon Walker stepped up in the last five minutes putting the squeeze on the tigers.
Luke Jackson was okay without being dominant.
East Fremantle fighting back and holding on for a tight win. It was a terrific game played in great spirit and well umpired.
Anyway folks, that is the way I saw it.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks for your post match review...great to read, always difficult to tell early on, but one would think EF and Cl will be top 5 going off their respective lists.

I see EF futures beat Cl futures by 20 goals...unlike Cl youngsters to be on the end of a shellacking like that. EF are 4-0 so far....but no doubt some games to come v SF and SD....historically two clubs with a plethora of young talent.

Last edited:
Regarding the NGA eligibility, are you automatically linked to a club if you're born/live in the clubs zone (and are indigenous/multicultural)?

Or do you need to be identified and spend a minimum amount out of time with the clubs academy before being eligible?

You aren't automatically linked but rather if a club deems you are good enough and meet the eligibility criteria, they'll most likely approach you and ask you to register and seek approval from the AFL to add you to their exclusive list.

There are examples of talent who rarely turn up to NGA training but are listed due to them showing future potential.

Last edited:
Thanks for your post match review...great to read, always difficult to tell early on, but one would think EF and Cl will be top 5 going off their respective lists.

I see EF futures beat Cl futures by 20 goals...unlike Cl youngsters to be on the end of a shellacking like that. EF are 4-0 so far....but no doubt some games to come v SF and SD....historically two clubs with a plethora of young talent.
Does anyone have any thoughts on best Futures players from watching any games? Any stand outs? This age group would be in line for 2021 draft. Still a long way off.

Found out that the State Schools AFL 15's tournament will change next year to an U14's tournament which will also be supported by the AFL rather than the schooling system.

Freo NGA at Claremont colts level from 13/4

Liam Henry 26 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 5 i50s, 2 behinds
Joel Western 14 disposals,2 marks 3 tackles, 2 i50s, 1 goal
Leno Thomas 21 disposals, 10 marks, 1 tackle, 3 i50s

And Jeremy Sharp in the seniors for East Freo got another 14 possessions.

Joel Western is a promising young talent, was solid in 5 colts games last year and looks to be building on that this year. He's also a very good athlete excelling in sprinting, high jump, long jump etc at school. Possible 2020 NGA prospect but the question mark comes over his size being only 172cm 63kg according to WAFL website.

Keeping an eye on Freo NG stats at Claremont, and a few others:

Colts Claremont versus East Fremantle 6/4/19

Stats for Freo NGs:

(2020) Joel Western: 19 possessions 4 tackles 2 inside 50s 1 goal
Liam Henry: 16 possessions 3 marks 8 tackles 3 inside 50s 1 goal
(2020) Brandon Walker: 11 possessions (all kicks) 5 marks 3 tackles
(2020) Chris Walker: 8 possessions 3 marks 6 tackles

Leno Thomas: 7 possessions 2 marks 1 tackle, 1 behind
(2020) Keanu Haddow: 5 possessions 2 marks 2 tackles

Non NGs
Luke Jackson 36 hitouts, 11 possessions, 3 marks 1 tackle
Trent Rivers 26 possessions, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 3 inside 50s
Trey Roscoe 20 possessions, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 6 inside 50s, 2 goals

And in the Seniors

Jeremy Sharp 14 possessions 4 marks 4 tackles 2 behinds
Interesting to see Sharp getting a go in a weak League side. Was tracking quite nicely in the second, leading the disposals with 11 and a goal but seemed to completely fade in the 2nd half. Was anyone at the game to see how he played?

Joel Western is a promising young talent, was solid in 5 colts games last year and looks to be building on that this year. He's also a very good athlete excelling in sprinting, high jump, long jump etc at school. Possible 2020 NGA prospect but the question mark comes over his size being only 172cm 63kg according to WAFL website.
The kid is 17 and growing 8-10cm in 18 months is not out the question.

Anybody sub 180cm need to be quick and skillful.

Is Western quick and skillful?

The kid is 17 and growing 8-10cm in 18 months is not out the question.

Anybody sub 180cm need to be quick and skillful.

Is Western quick and skillful?

He ran a 2.74 sec at the combine. Probably the quickest colt player in the country atm. I dont think he has much growing left if any. His parents are short themselves and he has always been a short but quick player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can he kick? Can get away with being small if you are rapid and have skills.

Wouldn't say his kick was elite but he will improve. He reads the game very well and loves to sweep from the back of a contest.

R
Found out that the State Schools AFL 15's tournament will change next year to an U14's tournament which will also be supported by the AFL rather than the schooling system.
The first cut was announced today for the State schoolboys 15s. 80 players left in. Interesting there is no Jed Hagan. He is the kid who captained the 12s, made the 15s the folllwing two years as a 13 and 14 year old. And as a bottom aged 14yo last year he was named captain and picked up an all Australian medal and maybe even the B&F of the entire tournament (could be wrong on that bit). I hear he is playing with east Freo futures as a bottom aged (the only 2004 allowed at east Freo futures). I wonder if they told him not to bother with the 15’s? Maybe he’s eying off the 16’s although I’m not sure bottom agers have ever been eligible for 16s before? If so, this kid must be an exceptional talent.

The first cut was announced today for the State schoolboys 15s. 80 players left in. Interesting there is no Jed Hagan. He is the kid who captained the 12s, made the 15s the folllwing two years as a 13 and 14 year old. And as a bottom aged 14yo last year he was named captain and picked up an all Australian medal and maybe even the B&F of the entire tournament (could be wrong on that bit). I hear he is playing with east Freo futures as a bottom aged (the only 2004 allowed at east Freo futures). I wonder if they told him not to bother with the 15’s? Maybe he’s eying off the 16’s although I’m not sure bottom agers have ever been eligible for 16s before? If so, this kid must be an exceptional talent.

With credentials like that, you might be spot on as it seems bizarre for him to be left out in his senior year.

Y
I would be betting he is automatically through

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
yes he would definitely be immediately through even if he didn’t trial in the first round but his name would still be left on the list of players still in. They do give concessions to players along the way for missing trials etc but they are still named as being in the remaining players.

West Perth
Spencer Trevor, Zach Fleiner, Taj Hazell, Aiden Nelson, Isaac DeMarte, Cameron Conduit, Lochlan Paton, Saverio Marafioti, Harrison Baxter

Swans
Luke Taylor, Antonio Deldarius, max Chipper, Bailey Jenkin, Noah Hannon, Lyle Sibosado, and a tall ruck unsure of name

Perth Demons
Regan Hill, Michael Henry and another kid possibly Menno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back