WA State Election, March 13, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Labor have promised almost nothing this election because they don't need to which is smart politics for once (unlike the Roe-8 policy for 2017 which was, in the end, totally unneeded and has created a long term problem for them with the Outer Harbor)
How is that a long term problem? Cancelling Roe 8 was a huge vote winner and shifting the port has been estimated as actually decreasing container processing costs.

How is that a long term problem? Cancelling Roe 8 was a huge vote winner and shifting the port has been estimated as actually decreasing container processing costs.

they will need to fight the union tooth and nail, it will wreck the environment in the area so they will need to fight the Greens and it isn't a solution until 2025 at minimum. Like they won't even break ground until then.

If you have been on leach hwy lately it is absolute insanity with the amount of trucks, thats why Bateman won't go Labor. Anti-Roe 8 is only popular in Bicton and Fremantle because people have houses which would be impacted.

they will need to fight the union tooth and nail
Unions aren't that powerful anymore.

it will wreck the environment in the area so they will need to fight the Greens
Actually, the Greens are supporting the Outer Harbour. Since it's already an industrial area, the seagrass beds there are already dead and unable to be regrown. The areas the Greens want protected are Garden Island and Mangles Bay which are pretty easy for shipping to avoid even with the Outer Harbour going ahead.

and it isn't a solution until 2025 at minimum. Like they won't even break ground until then.
True. But you previously said this was a long term problem, seems odd to change your argument now. McGowan has dealt with the short term problem anyway by doubling the percentage of freight taken by rail.

If you have been on leach hwy lately it is absolute insanity with the amount of trucks, thats why Bateman won't go Labor. Anti-Roe 8 is only popular in Bicton and Fremantle because people have houses which would be impacted.
Labor don't need Bateman, it'd require a 10% swing to win anyway. Hanging onto their gain in Bicton should be the priority.

Unions aren't that powerful anymore.

Actually, the Greens are supporting the Outer Harbour. Since it's already an industrial area, the seagrass beds there are already dead and unable to be regrown. The areas the Greens want protected are Garden Island and Mangles Bay which are pretty easy for shipping to avoid even with the Outer Harbour going ahead.

True. But you previously said this was a long term problem, seems odd to change your argument now. McGowan has dealt with the short term problem anyway by doubling the percentage of freight taken by rail.

Labor don't need Bateman, it'd require a 10% swing to win anyway. Hanging onto their gain in Bicton should be the priority.
The new harbour is right where the snapper spawning grounds are

expect to see the complete collapse of snapper stock in the perth region from this port.

this is the exact same area that every year (driven by fishermen btw) we have a no take ban on snapper in the area - they aggregate, spawn and proliferate up the coast from this breeding ground.

Last edited:

it will be a problem for 10+ years. Thats pretty long term.

I'm expecting it to be the major issue for the 2025 election.

The new harbour is right where the snapper spawning grounds are

expect to see the complete collapse of snapper stock in the perth region from this port.

this is the exact same area that every year (driven by fishermen btw) we have a no take ban on snapper in the area - they aggregate, spawn and proliferate up the coast from this breeding ground.
Interesting. And how has the snapper population changed with the industrial development and shipping that already goes to Kwinana for bulk freight, grain, alumina, coal, iron ore and the oil refinery?

Interesting. And how has the snapper population changed with the industrial development and shipping that already goes to Kwinana for bulk freight, grain, alumina, coal, iron ore and the oil refinery?
Its huge - getting a feed of good size snapper in the sound is doable and at certain times easy.

pretty interesting piece of analysis here on the election based on the minimal polling available.

Dawsville is at 76% labor, same with Hilaries. Riverton is line ball, Scarborough is 75% Liberal.

interesting work. I'm not sure about Riverton being so close. Scarbs is definitely 50/50.

Anyone else got pamphlets from Clive Palmer in the mail today?

Entirely focused on WA's reactions to COVID and how it wasn't required (surprise).

Not yet.

I did get an official looking envelope marked "important voting information" that had an application for postal voting and return envelope inside. It all looked very official. Tucked away inside that there was a flyer from the local Liberal Party candidate. I think this was a bit misleading trying to fool people into thinking that the mail came from the electoral commission. So I threw the whole lot in the bin. I can only hope the return address on the reply paid envelope is genuine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not yet.

I did get an official looking envelope marked "important voting information" that had an application for postal voting and return envelope inside. It all looked very official. Tucked away inside that there was a flyer from the local Liberal Party candidate. I think this was a bit misleading trying to fool people into thinking that the mail came from the electoral commission. So I threw the whole lot in the bin. I can only hope the return address on the reply paid envelope is genuine.
Now you see that is wasting a good opportunity

Get two housebricks and tape them together. Wrap them in newspaper.

tape them to the letter you got sent and cross your address out - put return to sender unsolicited mail.

taddaaa you just wasted $20 bucks

tape them to the letter you got sent and cross your address out - put return to sender unsolicited mail.

I'm a suspicious and cynical old bastard, but I'm not mean like that.

you mean taddaa you just wasted your time. Auspost doesn't return mail like that over weight.

pretty interesting piece of analysis here on the election based on the minimal polling available.

Dawsville is at 76% labor, same with Hilaries. Riverton is line ball, Scarborough is 75% Liberal.

interesting work. I'm not sure about Riverton being so close. Scarbs is definitely 50/50.

Not sure how useful this is without more localised seat polling. Things like the relative weakness of the Liberal candidate in Riverton is likely to go uncaptured by this model.

FWIW it has Darling Range as 98% Labor re-gain.

Not sure how useful this is without more localised seat polling. Things like the relative weakness of the Liberal candidate in Riverton is likely to go uncaptured by this model.

FWIW it has Darling Range as 98% Labor re-gain.

I think its a pretty good guide all things considered.

I'm hearing through the grapevine that Bill Marmion has a serious independent problem on his hands in Nedlands due to the planning issues in the seat. Isn't factored in here obviously.

Interesting on Darling Range. But really, there would need to be a swing back to Labor regardless now they aren't running a candidate who is a proven fraud lol

postage paid is only for standard letters
Ive been using this trick for years to get rid of companies who send letters interminably despite yoy returning them to sender no longer at this address.

my postie told me to do it - sometimes after the first brick they would send another - never after you sent them two.

Ive been using this trick for years to get rid of companies who send letters interminably despite yoy returning them to sender no longer at this address.

my postie told me to do it - sometimes after the first brick they would send another - never after you sent them two.

your postie is pulling your leg. Reply paid mail is standard weight only.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back