WA State Election, March 13, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

It is about road congestion because Roe 8 and 9 will increase the volume of both trucks and cars interacting with each other. Induced demand is a well established phenomena and one that will play out in its full in an area with no current major north to south arterial roads. Think Tonkin Cap congestion on steroids.

Roe 9 in particular would feed cars off the freeway and into Fremantle and the western suburbs. Dynamic modelling doesn’t really exist to forecast .

If the Liberals had committed to an exclusive freight route then this wouldn’t be an issue. But you can’t justify such expenditure to the exclusion of other road traffic. Driving roads through built up areas is just dumb retrograde transport policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d prefer we stick to the 50 year plan including the tunnel from stock road under the western suburbs and connecting to the freeway near ikea.

This addresses your concerns

The new harbour is right where the snapper spawning grounds are

expect to see the complete collapse of snapper stock in the perth region from this port.

this is the exact same area that every year (driven by fishermen btw) we have a no take ban on snapper in the area - they aggregate, spawn and proliferate up the coast from this breeding ground.

Agree

Putting industry and a large port over our best beaches is such a tragedy. Then add all the dredging, will utterly destroy the sound.

We only have to look at the environmental disaster of garden island’s port and silting.

I’d prefer we stick to the 50 year plan including the tunnel from stock road under the western suburbs and connecting to the freeway near ikea.

This addresses your concerns
Circumstances have changed since that plan. It should be evaluated to see whether it makes financial sense in the modern day.

Circumstances have changed since that plan. It should be evaluated to see whether it makes financial sense in the modern day.

That was done with a report released identifying the failure to build Roe8 was $224 per head in WA per annum.

This was a Union effort to stop the privatisation of the harbour. I wonder if the port scam was as much about what they were protecting, as it was jobs?

Where might I find this report please?

The report was 4 years ago by the ABC

It would have been measured off the $2.5B NPV for the project divided by the population over time.

Odd how I can't find that report anywhere by searching for "ABC Roe 8" plus either of the figures quoted.

it's not that hard to find the cost benefit study NPV

The state election is over and has been since about a year ago, question is now whether this state Labor popularity will translate to fed Labor votes. It will.

it won’t. There is history it won’t too.
Their vote is coming from McGowan who is hogging the limelight. He isn’t federal.
mcgowan would probably be looking at being one termer if covid hadn’t hit.By the time the federal election hits it won’t be relevant and the liberals can just argue scomo has done a good job etc.

It will be business as usual in the west. Labor might get one seat. Might lose one. Who knows.

The state election is over and has been since about a year ago, question is now whether this state Labor popularity will translate to fed Labor votes. It will.
As a fellow WA I'm so embarrassed by you.

Its not that you make outlandish prediction/statements its that you make outlandish prediction/statements with such conviction its so so embarrassing.

Instances:https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2019-federal-election.1218457/page-74

"Labor with swings towards them in almost every WA seat. Tangney with a decent swing... never thought I'd see the day."

"Your typical Australians are scared of Muslims. Its an elephant in the room.

"Liberals sliding out in betting now."

"My guess is Libs will fall short two seats to form majority but will form government with independents".

"Shorten can get fcuked. As engaging as a wet piece of cardboard. It should have been Albo. He would have won the election."

You might be right that some state Labor will translate i doubt it. Tempted to repost whenever you make stupid statments with such conviction. But I don't blame you I too at times make those statements whenever I feel pissy or can't be ****ed arguing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how long it's been up, but the ABC website has released their election preview by Antony Green:

Of particular note (because I feel the eastern states posters here just don't 'get' what WA is about):

Western Australia's vast mineral wealth has buttressed Australia's economic and social well-being for decades, but many feel the state does not get the consideration it deserves. Whether it be development proposals for the north, disputes over the division of GST revenue, selection of the Australian cricket team, or being delivered 'live' television on three-hour delay - Western Australians often feel over-looked and ignored by the eastern states.

For Western Australians, Premier McGowan's closure of the state border is easily justified as a Covid-19 measure. But it also taps into the state's history and relations with the Commonwealth and eastern states.

McGowan's actions are dismissed over east as grandstanding. But in the west, ignoring the Prime Minister's entreaties, lecturing the Premier of NSW, and ridiculing Clive Palmer, are immensely popular. The Western Australian way of life has been maintained, mostly without mask mandates and lockdowns.

After initial criticism of border closures from the Morrison government, and some initial backing of a High Court challenge, the Commonwealth has largely gone mute on Western Australia's border closure.

Last year Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk withstood criticism and strong demands to end her state's border closure. Last October her government was re-elected with an increased majority.

Now Western Australia goes to the polls on 13 March in a state where history means state exceptionalism has even greater force than in Queensland.

Not sure how long it's been up, but the ABC website has released their election preview by Antony Green:

Of particular note (because I feel the eastern states posters here just don't 'get' what WA is about):

Liked the comment about “live” tv, .... 3 hours later. Interesting comments about WA’s viewing on electing candidates to State v Federal parliament.

Well written article, that is what journalists should be producing.

Put simply, in a lot of people’s minds the Libs have been dragged to the right and have lost communication to the person in the street.

Put simply, in a lot of people’s minds the Libs have been dragged to the right and have lost communication to the person in the street.
I actually dont think this is what the average person is thinking. Its just the simple McGowan has managed the pandemic response well and is a good safe option, no reason to change.

I actually dont think this is what the average person is thinking. Its just the simple McGowan has managed the pandemic response well and is a good safe option, no reason to change.
That's probably the case, but McGowan was doing well even before Covid, it's not like the Libs were on track to regain government.

When you roll out Michaelia to MC your Campaign Launch you know your in trouble. Wonder why they didn’t make it a double act and bring in Porter to wind up the drooling faithful?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

That's probably the case, but McGowan was doing well even before Covid, it's not like the Libs were on track to regain government.
Very true, labor being a first term government that came in on a big swing were very much going to retain if covid didnt exist.

First massive worry to come out from McGowan:

Mr McGowan did not rule out keeping the current G2G pass system in place, which was introduced to protect the state against COVID-19 and allowed the government to track people who enter WA.

First massive worry to come out from McGowan:

It wouldn't be a worry electorally, McGowan has cashed in on our parochialism and keeping the eastern states out has proven to be a widely popular move. An extension of G2G passes is not difficult to envision.

Legally, it may be construed by a court as being an unreasonable and disproportionate response especially once COVID is over, but you can surmise that the WA government would argue it's not too dissimilar to previously legal well-entrenched border control measures before COVID.

It wouldn't be a worry electorally, McGowan has cashed in on our parochialism and keeping the eastern states out has proven to be a widely popular move. An extension of G2G passes is not difficult to envision.

Legally, it may be construed by a court as being an unreasonable and disproportionate response especially once COVID is over, but you can surmise that the WA government would argue it's not too dissimilar to previously legal well-entrenched border control measures before COVID.

he has doubled down on the border saying he likes it to keep drugs out.

I think he has misread the situation here.

they were doing OK. They would have lost seats if Covid hadn't happened, but easily been retained.

55% TPP is a big margin, I also expected a dip in the TPP and seats lost like Joondalup, this upcoming election is unprecedented - how many elections in Australia would have seen a government that won by 10% in their first term increase it for their second?

he has doubled down on the border saying he likes it to keep drugs out.

I think he has misread the situation here.

I think he might have also gone a bit too far here, but border control has proven to be electorally popular. It will depend on how he sells G2G passes to the broader public - if it becomes a simple document that states something like a name, address and a statement they haven't been in contact with any COVID hotspot, and that they've been vaccinated, then the voters will tolerate it.

Will be interesting to see if there's a legal challenge by someone other than Clive Palmer, if it's implemented beyond COVID.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back