• One Nation

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Shooters, Fishers and Farmers

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You would think that the Libs were narrowly defeated, after a splendid time in office reading all the mewling and whining in this thread, not handed a massive punch in the face by the WA public.

Maybe it's time for a "lick your salty tears" threads for all of these post defeat outbursts?
Whats this melt of yours actually about? Maybe you should read that in the context of that overall conversation with follow up posts next time.

Whats this melt of yours actually about? Maybe you should read that in the context of that overall conversation with follow up posts next time.
ROFL....melt?
Just pointing out that this thread has been full of nitpicking about every facet of the Labour Government since the day it was formed....
The Libs got the arse for actually being every bit as incompetent and useless as has been hypothesised about the new Labour ministers.
Many posters should save the extremely biased, totally unsupportable "opinion" for a month or so, and stay those salty tears at least.

ROFL....melt?
Just pointing out that this thread has been full of nitpicking about every facet of the Labour Government since the day it was formed....
The Libs got the arse for actually being every bit as incompetent and useless as has been hypothesised about the new Labour ministers.
Many posters should save the extremely biased, totally unsupportable "opinion" for a month or so, and stay those salty tears at least.
Thats thing, its different when you are in power since you are actually making the decisions. So they should be held to account from the very first minute they take over, regardless of left, right, wizard etc.

Liberals got smashed in their second Queensland. How embarrassing. Whole state of centre-far right "swing voters" with no core values. Allied one day axis the next :thumbsu:

............then I looked at the location

............then I looked at the location

I actually live in Narre Warren North. There are far more muslims in Fountain Gate (westfield) now than there are Broadmeadows. Wasn't like that only a year ago! (FYI Broadmeadows is considered the muslim capital of Melbourne over here).

I'm not biased. I think they're all fecking useless and only in it for themselves. Get that snout in the trough and keep it there for as long as possible.

I just thought this time it was better the devil you know. I guess now we'll see what Laboure (may as well make up my own spelling) can bring to the table. I'm not expecting much so maybe they'll surprise.

I'm not biased. I think they're all fecking useless and only in it for themselves. Get that snout in the trough and keep it there for as long as possible.

I just thought this time it was better the devil you know. I guess now we'll see what Laboure (may as well make up my own spelling) can bring to the table. I'm not expecting much so maybe they'll surprise.
Better the devil you know would make more sense if the devil had been somewhat competent in recent times. The Libs had well and truly worn out their welcome. If you think they are more or less the same, then it was definitely from for a change.

Better the devil you know would make more sense if the devil had been somewhat competent in recent times. The Libs had well and truly worn out their welcome. If you think they are more or less the same, then it was definitely from for a change.
Laboar don't exactly have the best financial management track record going around. Like I said though, let's see what mess they can make on top of the existing one they can do about fixing it now they're in.

Laboar don't exactly have the best financial management track record going around. Like I said though, let's see what mess they can make on top of the existing one they can do about fixing it now they're in.
I feel like this idea that the Libs are better economic managers is something of a myth. Geoff Gallop and Alan Carpenter both certainly left the economy in respectable shape. Truth is, all governments are subject to the whims of global economics.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 out of the 6 LC regions declared so far...

Agricultural - 2 ALP, 2 Nats, 1 Lib, 1 Shooters as expected
Mining/Pastoral - 2 ALP, 1 Nat, 1 Lib, 1 PHON, 1 Greens

ALP was expected to get a third seat in Mining but it ended up going to the Greens due to their being favoured by below-the-line voters.

Overall prediction now: ALP 14, Greens 4, Libs 10, Nats 4, PHON 2, LibDem 1, Shooters 1

Thos results should hopefully be declared today, with the most likely deviations being a small chance of PHON and/or Greens taking a Liberals seat (2 different regions so 2 Liberals spots at risk) and possibly the Greens seat in South West going elsewhere (probably could go to ALP and very small chance could go to Libs or elsewhere).

South West went as expected: 2 ALP, 1 Lib, 1 Nat, 1 PHON, 1 Green
East Metro saw PHON take a Lib seat as discussed above: 3 ALP, 1 Lib, 1 Green, 1 PHON

So with just North Metro and South Metro to be confirmed:

ALP 9 (+ 5 likely)
Green 3 (+ 1 likely)
Libs 4 (+ 5 likely)
Nats 4
PHON 3
Shooters 1
LibDems (1 likely)

Only change with a fair chance to occur in the undeclared results would be Greens to take one of the Lib seats in South Metro... which would be a huge result as it would create a Labor-Greens majority. But most likely Labor-Greens will sit on 18/36 and require one of the conservative crossbench to support. Will be confirmed tomorrow arvo.

4 LC seats is a great result for the Greens. If it is up 18/36 for Labor and Greens I think they can court the Shooters one to get the required numbers. Hard to see PHON or the Lib Dem switching sides as easily.
I think quite the opposite. One Nation candidates attacked the Liberal party pretty much constantly throughout the campaign, and they oppose Roe 8 and selling Western Power which were big Labor policies. Getting one or both of them to vote with a protectionist Labor party won't be much of a stretch.

It will be interesting to see what the Nats look like post-Brendon Grylls. He was the type who would have negotiated with Labor, plus they are currently off-side with the Libs following the preference deal. But will the Nats be the same under a new leader or revert to a more conservative style?

I think quite the opposite. One Nation candidates attacked the Liberal party pretty much constantly throughout the campaign, and they oppose Roe 8 and selling Western Power which were big Labor policies. Getting one or both of them to vote with a protectionist Labor party won't be much of a stretch.

Fair points.

Social ideology, though, they are poles apart, so it will be interesting to see if they get along.

Fair points.

Social ideology, though, they are poles apart, so it will be interesting to see if they get along.
On some issues yes, but they're ideologically aligned on a number of things. They're protectionist, anti free trade, anti progress, "terk err jerbs" may mean alignment on unions and local content. The State government doesn't have much of a role in things like immigration, same-sex marriage and the social issues that Labor would be concerned with.

So Labor has a crushing victory in the lower house but along with the Greens still can't claim a majority in the LC. The gerrymander in that chamber is absurd and should be abolished as it was in the LA, however it seems the higher priority seems to be making sure that the micro parties don't get a look in next time.

On the GST, I have been hearing "crickets" from Julie Bishop, Cormann & Porter.

Here we have 3 senior federal ministers from WA, and they have said nada. I thought a Senators job was to fight for their state ?, yes that's you Cormann.

Deputy PM should be a position of influence, yes that is you Julie.

As for Porter, the song "me, myself & I" would be appropriate,

Back