Local WA Womens Competition - General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Take note of this name
Ella Roberts - 16 years old and made her debut with Peel League on the weekend. She is going to be a star. Was in the schoolgirls u15 last year- made All Australian. X Factor, silky smooth.
Yeah, I noticed she was named among the best after Biggie said she's be debuting soon. Hopefully they'll finally livestream a Peel game soon, I want to see Bilcich for the first time as well, and Rowley again.

In the Swans game, I thought Davison was clear BOG, Morrison looks to be improving fast as well, and the Hyde twins good as usual -- all a good chance in the draft, you'd think, even though they're all physically similar. Does anyone know Sarah Wielstra's background? The WAFL website says this is her first season, and she's pretty raw for a 25 year old, but if she's only just started playing that might put it in context. She's 184cm and pretty mobile, was good on the weekend, could be a prospect.

Take note of this name
Ella Roberts - 16 years old and made her debut with Peel League on the weekend. She is going to be a star. Was in the schoolgirls u15 last year- made All Australian. X Factor, silky smooth.
Seen her screamer from her last Rogers Cup game?

That was on my daughter :huh:

Girl can play, no doubt - how did she go in he league game? EDIT: Saw she was named in the best players!!

Saw the Claremont-Peel game, we can lock in Ella Roberts as No.1 pick for West Coast in 2022 unless someone absolutely freakish comes along. Probably best on Ground for me, very quiet early but was unstoppable in patches later. Not bad for a 15 year old among adults. She's actually very similar to Montana Ham at the Western Jets (Victoria), who was previously my pick for best 15 year old I'd ever seen -- 177cm, mobile enough to play anywhere, highly skilled. I think Ham's still got the edge for athleticism, which is saying something, but Roberts might be a bit cleverer (and is playing against adults, where I've only seen Ham play in juniors). Looks like they'll be the best two picks in AFLW draft that year, though. Be great to see them going head to head in the future.

Of the other kids I also thought Tanisha Anderson was great in defence -- she's draft age now, looks physically a little underdone, but good natural size and reads the play well. Eagles need defenders, might be worth a speculative pick.

And Bella Mann was good in her first game, got plenty of the ball and pretty smart. She's not tall but she looks strong -- she'll be eligible next year.

Ditto Krystel Petrevski for Claremont, who's eligible now -- small but strong, got heaps of the ball.

Amy Franklin looked dangerous all game but the delivery to her was pretty poor, couldn't do much, though she did butcher one set shot for goal she should have nailed.

Courtney Rowley was a bit quiet, but had her usual great skills when she got it.

And I thought Emily Bennet looked quite at home on the ball, after they were using her in defence before. Not all that fast but good skills and solidly built, could develop into a useful inside mid. She's eligible this year, but there's a lot of better small mids available this year so I couldn't see it. She's stronger than all of them though, so in the future, who knows.

Ditto Krystel Petrevski for Claremont, who's eligible now -- small but strong, got heaps of the ball.
Good news, especially for Melbourne who drafted her last year. Unless you meant somebody else?

Well, that'd be why she's good, then.
Thought maybe she had a sister who recently became eligible for the draft or something, was confused so I asked. Just the one touch in her only AFLW game to date, but did make a splash by rapping on stage at Melbourne's season launch this year.

Thought maybe she had a sister who recently became eligible for the draft or something, was confused so I asked. Just the one touch in her only AFLW game to date, but did make a splash by rapping on stage at Melbourne's season launch this year.
Completely slipped my mind that she'd been drafted. Melbourne haven't cut her either, so they must see potential.

we can lock in Ella Roberts as No.1 pick for West Coast in 2022 unless someone absolutely freakish comes along. Probably best on Ground for me, very quiet early but was unstoppable in patches later.
She’s a gun isn’t she. So smooth, great overhead and hits targets.

All at 15.

Amy’s set shot was a shocker, I’ll give her a quote running for that today when I see her 😂

She’s a gun isn’t she. So smooth, great overhead and hits targets.

All at 15.

Amy’s set shot was a shocker, I’ll give her a quote running for that today when I see her 😂
She kicked it like a dead cat. Still going to be great, though.

I'm not even sure where you'd play Roberts at AFLW level, especially considering how much better she'll be by then. I mean, halfback, halfforward, ruck (where she can also be a genuine midfielder), wing?

Bulldogs only went down 47-33, scored 5 goals after struggling most of the season to score more than 2. Huge improvement, good signs for them next year, and for the WAFLW in general.

2020 NAB AFLW National Combine – National Level

Sarah Verrier - South Fremantle
Shanae Davison - Swan Districts
Isabella Lewis - Claremont
Mikayla Morrison - Swan Districts
Abbey Dowrick - Subiaco
Roisin Walsh - East Fremantle
Jess Low - Claremont
Maggie MacLachlan - West Perth
Ella Smith - Claremont
Brianna Hyde - Swan Districts
Mikayla Hyde - Swan Districts
Sarah Wielstra - Swan Districts

Prominent Claremont midfielder Bella Lewis has been included on the AFLW Combine list, while WA U18s teammates Sarah Verrier, Mikayla Morrison and Brianna and Mikayla Hyde will also feature.

WAFLW performers Shanae Davison and Jess Low have been rewarded for strong seasons in the State’s premier competition.

WAFC Talent Manager – Female Programs Clint Degebrodt couldn’t be prouder of the entire State Academy cohort during a challenging year.

“Having 12 players selected at a National Level is a testament to the resilience and character of all our athletes,” Degebrodt said.

“The girls have really embraced the idea of playing a full season of WAFLW, giving them the perfect platform to take their game to the next level in the AFLW.”

A state level Combine will be held with additional male and female players added in the near future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder why Ella Roberts missed this. 🤔

Also the AFLW NGA 16s Freo and WCE are playing Saturday 12 at HBF arena
I suspect its just age. Bit unfair to include someone that has 3 more years to put their name forward, and leave out someone eligible now. The 2 Perth league players for instance.

I suspect its just age. Bit unfair to include someone that has 3 more years to put their name forward, and leave out someone eligible now. The 2 Perth league players for instance.
Ella would be in the 16’s age group. I note her name is also missing from here but it is school holidays and maybe she needs a rest after the last few weeks. There are still local Gf’s happening this weekend and they take priority over a 16’s match which is really just a curtain raiser to the 18’s
1600938399630.png

what happen to
Abbey Dowrick?

I heard she was a gun.
And the Hyde twins? Very few young kids got drafted- lots of older age. (From WA a 31 yo, 27 and 23 yo) plus Eagles passed on two selections. Maybe they think the young girls can’t make an immediate impact so may as well leave them to develop in the a WAFlW (which will happen whether they select them now or not ). The only difference is - if they can’t come in and play that first year, they still have to pay them to develop in the waflw. It’s different to a boy- clubs choose 18 yo’s so the afl club can develop them how they want. Interesting perspective.

And the Hyde twins? Very few young kids got drafted- lots of older age. (From WA a 31 yo, 27 and 23 yo) plus Eagles passed on two selections. Maybe they think the young girls can’t make an immediate impact so may as well leave them to develop in the a WAFlW (which will happen whether they select them now or not ). The only difference is - if they can’t come in and play that first year, they still have to pay them to develop in the waflw. It’s different to a boy- clubs choose 18 yo’s so the afl club can develop them how they want. Interesting perspective.
Peel went young two years and went from bottom to top.

West Coast should be going young.

If you have a lot of picks, it makes sense to pass on a couple.

They get to look all over the country for the last 2 picks, and if nothing turns up, they can take who they would have drafted anyway.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back