Local WA Womens Competition - General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I`m not close to it, but on the face of it, it seems organisational. In the same time the WAWFL has farted about, the Perth football league created a 6 division womens footy comp from scratch. So if they have a participation numbers issue, its hard not to see that as ultimately stemming from an organisational issue.
The ammo Comp is what it is designed for, a chance for women of all ages to play in a competition that is for everybody,
What is the WAFLW reserves Comp for? It appears that it’s purpose is to make money for the WAFL clubs (by charging exorbitant fees) and that is why they are fighting to keep it.

It’s a good move for a comp intending to be the next rung below AFLW

My sole issue is this: how does a player that is too old for the U18 comp find form if they are dropped from league side? The Ammo comp isn’t run at the same time

Here’s the article

2CE41B77-E87A-4922-8B31-03325E2D1B85.jpeg

DCCB5094-AF3F-43C7-BD5B-666703A99EAE.jpeg

It appears that the local AFLW comp in Perth is possibly dropping its reserve teams as recommended by the WAFL
My understanding is that it is happening.

The WAFC have scrapped it 100%

Understand the logic but lopping it off with little warning or preparation seems really strange and counterintuitive to growing the female version of the sport. Biggie’s point is spot on, with no ressies comp and ammos not running at the same time, if someone is returning from injury or gets dropped from league then they don’t play at all…. Would also think clubs have based significant financial decisions such as coaching & support staff on having Reserves teams so would have to be a threat to club profitability. Surely there is a way to preserve and improve the ressies comp rather than just shut it down. Limiting ages might be a start??

one wonders why they dont simply reduce the size of the reserves comp to teams that can be bothered
If Perth and East Perth clubs dont have enough funds or money to run reserves here is an idea have an overall Womens draft of some sort and the WAFC to arrange funding to suit. This situation reflects the questionable commitment to Womens WA footy, which confirms the very slow response originally to the AFLW in Perth
The WAFC had elections earlier this year and it appears the same boys club got re-elected.
The Sports Minister not happy.

If Perth and East Perth clubs dont have enough funds or money to run reserves here is an idea have an overall Womens draft of some sort and the WAFC to arrange funding to suit. This situation reflects the questionable commitment to Womens WA footy, which confirms the very slow response originally to the AFLW in Perth
The WAFC had elections earlier this year and it appears the same boys club got re-elected.
The Sports Minister not happy.
You have raised important points.

As I have previously noted, the growth of female Club AF player nos. has been very poor in WA, cf Vic., Qld., & SA (but Perth female club player nos. have
improved in the last 2 years).
Perth has an AF heartland area, of course, with a pop. of c. 2.1m, & is, generally, fairly affluent- & it is put to shame by AF poorly-funded "desert areas" in RL-dominated Newcastle/Hunter, & Wollongong/Illawarra (which have c. 17 & 13 adult women's teams respectively, & many jnr GR female club teams). NSW North Coast is also having strong female club AF growth.

Also, after considering the Qld. female GR boom, WA administrators should feel humiliated for their incompetence.

How strong are primary & secondary school (state & private) female player nos. in WA school comps.?

There have been criticisms of the overpaid AF administrators in WA- how have they justified their very high salaries, & relatively poor GR performances?
(Just dismiss the fluff-one-off Gala Days, community events etc. player nos.- they have little real importance. Club & school comp. nos. are the arbiter).

How much MSM publicity in WA has there been in this formal Parliamentary Enquiry into WA administrator GR AF poor performance?

Last edited:
You have raised important points.

As I have previously noted, the growth of female Club AF player nos. has been very poor in WA, cf Vic., Qld., & SA (but Perth female club player nos. have
improved in the last 2 years).
Perth has a pop. of c. .2.1m, & is, generally, an affluent AF heartland area- & it is put to shame by AF poorly-funded "desert areas" like RL-dominated Newcastle/Hunter, & Wollongong/Illawarra (which have c. 17 & 13 adult women's teams respectively, & many jnr GR female club teams). NSW North Coast is also having strong female club AF growth.

How strong are primary & secondary school (state & private) female player nos. in WA school comps.?

There have been criticisms of the very well-paid AF administrators in WA- how have they justified their very high salaries, & relatively poor GR performances?
(Just dismiss the fluff-one-off Gala Days, community events etc. player nos.- they have little real importance)

Ammo numbers seem to be growing pretty strongly in the women's comps, but perhaps that is cannibalising the WAFLW depth. There is no doubt some of the WAFLW reserves teams are a bit of a retirement village rather than a pathway to the elite level. Would think that some collaboration between PFL & WAFLW could possibly address that, but WAFC doesn't seem highly engaged with addressing the cause

WAFLW Reserves Competition Update

1) East Fremantle Football Club president Mark Stewart has requested an urgent meeting with WAFC chairman Wayne Martin to seek clarity on how the Commission reached a decision to discontinue the WAFLW reserves league.

2) The East Perth Football Club are hoping to have a women’s team within the WAFLW reserve competition from next season but if the move goes ahead, the club will have to be prepared to launch straight into the top-tier.

3) Currently five of the seven clubs are against the proposal of scrapping the reserve grade WAFLW competition from next season with other two clubs supporting the potential change.

4) The WAFC board will meet in coming weeks to vote on the decision, giving clubs hope they have time to convince commissioners - including chairman Wayne Martin who was forced to reassure clubs that a final decision had not been made - not to ratify the recommendation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem still is lack of players it seems in some clubs therefore which means in their districts, which everybody hopes will be fixed by 2024. If girls/women in those same districts are not interested in playing our game in the juniors or whatever - What can be done.
Anybody on here have any ideas.
Perhaps adjusting the zones might help. Have no idea but it’s possible that participation rates may not follow the same pattern as they do in boys/mens. I heard East Freo had 100 girls/women show up to their first preseason session, with plenty of regulars still missing. If you have that many at one club and not enough at others then surely some adjustments can be made to balance it out

Pie 4 Life PMBangers - this quote is progress. I heard about this early preseason

In a sign of the growth of WAFLW League Competition, Champion Data will be used for the first time to compile statistical information for clubs, players, supporters and be available to access via the WAFL App.

Round one teams are in.

There will be 22 selected with the heat policy in play.

In bigger news, the WAFL has a announced all games will be streamed live (one game with commentary)

A massive step forward for WAFLW

On a personal note, both my daughters are selected to play League footy. Very, very proud old man right here 🥲

Round one teams are in.

In bigger news, the WAFL has a announced all games will be streamed live (one game with commentary)

On a personal note, both my daughters are selected to play League footy. Very, very proud old man right here 🥲
Twins?

West Perth?

Round one teams are in.

Congrats! I watched the Youtube replay of the Rogers Cup GF a while back, lots of cool talent coming through in WP. Though I thought the real standout was Noa McNaughton for SF, I'd guess she and Zippy Fish will probably end up at the Dockers since there should be some talls by then for the Eagles to be picking.

Are the round one teams up anywhere on the internet? They're not on the WAFL website.

Are the round one teams up anywhere on the internet? They're not on the WAFL website.
Yeah they are?

Though I thought the real standout was Noa McNaughton for SF, I'd guess she and Zippy Fish will probably end up at the Dockers since there should be some talls by then for the Eagles to be picking.
Noa won the Rogers Cup B&F for the whole comp so yep a very good player.

Yeah they are?

Noa won the Rogers Cup B&F for the whole comp so yep a very good player.
Cool, I missed that, thanks.

The number of fast girls in the 170cms range just in WP and SF alone is super encouraging. And the likes of McNaughton and Fish should be making even 'established' AFLW midfielders nervous, they're no guarantee to hold onto their spots with kids like that coming through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back