Local WA Womens Competition - General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This news while slightly off topic does involve WA and Junior Sport Girls and Boys and footy code wise shows the rise and rise of Junior Soccer football. Now we all know participation does not relate to actual market domination Football Code wise, so far. The Soccer Mums do have an effect everywhere, and our sport needs more Footy Mums, which is more likely to happen now with AFLW.
It is a good idea to know what is actually going on in the sports markets.
WA Dept of Sport and Recreation stats show 53% of WA Juniors involved in a sport or recreation, between 2015 and 2016.
Five most popular Physical activities for Juniors in WA. Survey of 370,000 Juniors.
Swimming -30%
Soccer Football -13.7%
Aussie Rules -11%
Dancing Recreational -9%
Basketball -7.5%

Five most popular Club Sports for Juniors -Numbers not given.
Soccer Football
Aussie Rules
Basketball
Cricket
Netball
There is no doubt that amongst the 500,000 people who came to WA 2004 -2014 the overseas immigrants would have been very familiar with Soccer Football. That would have had an impact.
It did say the advent of AFL Womens and Big Bash Cricket will definitley lift the grassroots of those sports.
Also good news in the paper for AFL Womens was the advertisement from Mater Dei College a big northern suburbs Catholic school 7-12 now offering a Girls AFL programme.
Source - Online -Joondalup Times Page 14 -Local Sports Stars.

Last edited:
The latest crop of South West Football League talent is set to be unveiled when six women’s teams take to the field in a momentous round robin carnival.

Hands Oval will host the women’s pre-season fixtures on April 9, marking the first time women footballers have officially played under the SWFL banner.

The format will include nine games – broken into 20-minute halves – with each side playing three times.

However, league officials are still deciding whether to reduce the length of each team’s last pre-season game in a bid to reduce player fatigue.

General manager John Vidos said the league was consulting with clubs and a decision was expected prior to the carnival, but he was certain the day would showcase the talent of the six sides.

“It will be the first time women’s football will be played under the SWFL umbrella,” Vidos said.

“It will be a good day for everybody and will have a carnival atmosphere.”

South Bunbury, Bunbury, Carey Park, Harvey-Brunswick-Leschenault, Harvey Bulls and Busselton have all entered teams into the inaugural women’s SWFL competition.

The season begins on April 15, when South Bunbury host Carey Park at Hands Oval.

https://thewest.com.au/news/south-western-times/womens-football-fever-hits-the-sw-ng-b88423295z

copied over from the code wars thread

A bit of news from the WAWFL (WA Women's Football League);

A new-look Mundella WA Women’s Football League season is set to kick off a huge 30th year in 2017 with nine clubs represented for the first time at League level and more attention than ever on the competition that produced 36 players for the inaugural AFL Women’s season.

For the first time, Perth Angels, East Perth and last year’s Reserves premiers West Perth, will field League teams, seeing a WAWFL League side now aligned to every WAFL men’s team.

For West Perth, this includes the complete integration of the Joondalup Women’s Football Club with West Perth Football Club.

Joondalup Women’s Football Club President Dave Burton said the club had enjoyed a strong relationship with West Perth Football Club for many years.

"It’s great to see it progress to this point and provide an invaluable opportunity for all females within our District and give them a clear pathway through to the AFL if that’s where they dream to go," Burton said.

Claremont, formerly known as the Piranhas, will be replacing their much-loved piranha logo and adopting the emblem of the tiger and the same jumper design as Claremont Football Club.

With Swan Districts having over 10 years of alignment with their WAFL Club, East Fremantle, East Perth, Peel Thunderbirds, Perth Angels, and South Fremantle will continue to build and strengthen their relationships with WAFL clubs, while Coastal Titans are also strengthening their ties to Subiaco.

In another first for the WAWFL competition, West Australian dairy producer Mundella Foods was recently announced as the new major partner of female football in Western Australia.

The partnership includes naming rights to the Mundella WA Women’s Football League and a range of initiatives linked to the West Australian Football Commission’s (WAFC) Female Talent Pathway, Female Ambassador Program, WA Women’s Round and female participation programs.

Last year, there was a 61.3% increase in the number of females playing club football in WA and the total number of club-based teams almost doubled from 84 to 157.

WAWFL President Carolyn Hills said it was certainly shaping up to be a huge year for the WAWFL when games get under way on April 2.

“We launch our 2017 season off the back of the AFL Women’s competition inaugural season, and with a new naming rights major sponsor, Mundella Foods, who will help us continue to grow and develop the league," she said.

“The excitement around the AFL Women’s competition is evidenced by the significant numbers of girls turning up at Club training sessions, and confirmed as three clubs take a momentous step forward entering League teams into the competition.

“We are really looking forward to the start of what promises to be a thrilling and celebratory 30th year of women’s football in WA."

To ensure an even and competitive season for all nine teams fixtures have been formulated with teams grouped into a top, middle and bottom three. Teams will play more games against those in the same group than teams in the other groupings.

This will inlcude the three teams that are new to the League division only playing a top team once each throughout the season.

- A couple of girls from my work have now started playing with the Perth Angels and say that there's such a tremendous buzz around the club with a lot of new girls joining as well.

There has been a very important lock stock and barrel review of all WA footy.
Among the points released was the comment that in 2018-- (This point was the only reference to Womens Footy in the review publicly released).
The nine WAFL Clubs will commence a Premier League status competition with the Women. How that will be different from the 2017 version time will tell.
Source todays West Australian paper edition.

Also Jan Cooper the WA based boss of Womens Development Footy in Australia revealed in the local suburban paper that no less than 250 Womens teams are "expected" to field players nationally this 2017 Womens season (Not AFLW). Some sums -- 250 x 22 = 550,000 players. Jan also said entries not open yet for the 2017 season so that figure is adjustable.???????. Just cannot see it happening, because that is not an explosion but an Atomic Bomb increase of numbers.
Some female sports in WA are reporting big increases in numbers which is attributed in part to the AFLW raising the their interest levels. No other sport comes close to doing this. "Womans Football is giving" was the headline.
Source --
Community Newspaper Group - Joondalup Edition= This weeks edition.
Article -As above - The byline was "Leagues Success helps others" - By Belinda Cipriano
Its all good.

Among the points released was the comment that in 2018-- (This point was the only reference to Womens Footy in the review publicly released).
The nine WAFL Clubs will commence a Premier League status competition with the Women. How that will be different from the 2017 version time will tell.

Also Jan Cooper the WA based boss of Womens Development Footy in Australia revealed in the local suburban paper that no less than 250 Womens teams are "expected" to field players nationally this 2017 Womens season (Not AFLW). Some sums -- 250 x 22 = 550,000 players. Jan also said entries not open yet for the 2017 season so that figure is adjustable.???????. Just cannot see it happening, because that is not an explosion but an Atomic Bomb increase of numbers.
Some female sports in WA are reporting big increases in numbers which is attributed in part to the AFLW raising the their interest levels. No other sport comes close to doing this. "Womans Football is giving" was the headline.
Source --
Article -As above - The byline was "Leagues Success helps others" - By Belinda Cipriano
Its all good.
That would include every competitive team from youth girls down to adult levels.
For example if we consider this post in the Victorian thread there's 336 youth girls teams on top of the ~110 adult teams. So that adds up to about 450 teams

That would include every competitive team from youth girls down to adult levels.
For example if we consider this post in the Victorian thread there's 336 youth girls teams on top of the ~110 adult teams. So that adds up to about 450 teams
To put it in perspective, the most optimistic of the Vic projections have the increase in senior teams this year almost equal the total number of all WA female club teams (senior and junior).

The rise in female footy is happening, but it's really only just starting now, and something needs to be done in Perth quickly.

There are 9 clubs (18 teams) in the whole Perth metro area to absorb this influx. Not sure how that works without girls leaving the sport wholesale.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

To put it in perspective, the most optimistic of the Vic projections have the increase in senior teams this year almost equal the total number of all WA female club teams (senior and junior).

The rise in female footy is happening, but it's really only just starting now, and something needs to be done in Perth quickly.

There are 9 clubs (18 teams) in the whole Perth metro area to absorb this influx. Not sure how that works without girls leaving the sport wholesale.

How deep will those 9 clubs go in 2018 -League, Reserves, Thirds. Is the talent and the money there to go forward to 3 levels in Womens footy.

How deep will those 9 clubs go in 2018 -League, Reserves, Thirds. Is the talent and the money there to go forward to 3 levels in Womens footy.
I would prefer to see the WAAFL start up women's footy. I think they would be more successful getting players. They are much more likely to go down the road to their brothers club, or friends club, than travel to a wawfl club for a first season.

Then if they turn out to be good, and have ambition, then they can look to switch to a wawfl team.

I would prefer to see the WAAFL start up women's footy. I think they would be more successful getting players. They are much more likely to go down the road to their brothers club, or friends club, than travel to a wawfl club for a first season.

Then if they turn out to be good, and have ambition, then they can look to switch to a wawfl team.

Just checked out the WAWFL Facebook page -Apparently there will be 3 levels =League, Reserves, Youth Girls x 9 clubs some of whom have only just come into existence as WAWFL Womens teams.
Those particular clubs are still welcoming and looking for new players, which tells me that there is now where the level of organisation that exists elsewhere in Australia.
There is obviously a Junior level underneath but no mention of that, and the Regional Leagues are just starting, which maybe another source of players in the future.

That is the key, just like the VAFA.

All the junior clubs are running, 12's,15 etc, they have to go somewhere.

My club did some training and a couple of AFL 9's games in pre -season with one of the Womens State League clubs, and there were one or two women there who should have been playing AFLW imo. They were better with their skills and read the play better. I'm not sure why they werent picked considering a lot of the AFLW players struggled to hit targets.

Attended the last few games of a SWFL round robin preseason womens tournament, won by South Bunbury after Bunburys Captain/Coach left the ground at half time with a hammy (had been dominating).

The difference even 1 or 2 genuinely good players can make with a low overall skill level was evident. Bunbury led 3.0 to 0.0 at half time (2 20 min halfs), and lost 3.0 to 4.2 after losing their captain. Some of the teams, really low skill level, really didn't look fit (eg fat). Souths and Bunbury both looked a step above the other teams, and a lot of the deficiencies looked fixable, not leading to the right spots (or at all). Players not moving until after the ball is kicked. Poor kicking, cannot handball both hands etc.

The league announced a rep team is to play the Peel region in a couple of weeks. Not sure what this means as outside Peel Thunderbirds playing in the WAWFL, I didn't know there was senior womens football in Peel.

Nice crowd, lasted all day, canteen pulled in over $3000, then there was a brief presentation in the clubrooms. Bar was steadily ticking over most of the afternoon. Good illustration of the attraction of womens footy to country clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Source --
Its all good.
Think that may be a bit out

Girlsplayfooty podcast with a Swans player (Ashley Sharp) mentioned Swans had 92 senior players at training prior to the first game, so over half will not get a run. I think the current model for womens footy in WA cannot continue beyond this year. The WAWFL has now absorbed all the teams and players it can, they need a second comp badly.

Girlsplayfooty podcast with a Swans player (Ashley Sharp) mentioned Swans had 92 senior players at training prior to the first game, so over half will not get a run. I think the current model for womens footy in WA cannot continue beyond this year. The WAWFL has now absorbed all the teams and players it can, they need a second comp badly.
Do the other WAFL teams also have BIG surpluses of female players?

If so, surely an additional Division could be created at short notice? There would be no problem if this new, lower Div. starts a month later -so it can be properly organised, overcome logistic issues. No AF comp. should be "turning away"large nos. of players, at any level.

I would imagine the WAAFL ( amatuers) will start the ball rolling, about 70 mens clubs in the WAAFL.

Also fitting another team in is going to be hard for some of the bigger clubs who may already have 6 or 7 senior teams

Do the other WAFL teams also have BIG surpluses of female players?

If so, surely an additional Division could be created at short notice? There would be no problem if this new, lower Div. starts a month later -so it can be properly organised, overcome logistic issues. No AF comp. should be "turning away"large nos. of players, at any level.
I suspect it varies a lot. Some of the club's only got their second team up this year. Last year there were only 6 or 7 teams in the top division, with a couple of clubs only fielding a team in the reserves.

Swans, Coastal and East Freo I suspect have a lot, and possibly Peel, others not so much.

The WA U18 Youth Girls Squad has been selected for the upcoming National U18 Championships in Sydney and the Gold Coast later.
Noticed 2 girls selected with direct regional affiliations, which is promising.
There will be lots of scouts eyes on this group looking forward to the likely expansion in 2019????
The Swan Districts Club again prominent.

http://www.wafootball.com.au/news/12279/mundella-wa-u18-youth-girls-announced

Looks like community female football has finally started. Hopefully a taster for a full comp next year. All the clubs listed are in the ammos, so expecting a WAAFL female league next year.

Exciting time for Female Football with the launch of our new Senior Women's Community Carnivals throughout 2017!

Details of Carnival #1
Sunday 11th June
11-1pm
UWA Sports Park
18years +

This is perfect for anyone that hasn't played football before, wants to give it a go and meet some new people in a fun and social environment!

Find your closest club now and join in the fun!

ECU Jets Sports Club
Gosnells Hawks Football Club
Curtin Uni Wesley Football Club
Forrestdale Senior Football
Cottesloe Amateur Football Club Inc.
UWA Football Club

In the National Youth Girls U18`s Championships currently in progress over 2 seperate locations, the QLD team beat WA in Sydney.
Scores
Sunday, May 21
Qld 6.8 (44) def.

WA 5.4 (34) Blacktown ISP 11.00am EST
Not the first time QLD has beaten WA.
In their first match the previous day WA easily accounted for NSW by 87 points. (Probably reflects current standards)

Videos of all of the U18 matches available on the AFL Womens Web site.
http://www.afl.com.au/womens/u18s

Went to one of the state league games on the weekend after not having been for a while, and their courage is undeniable, however they really worry me with their lack of awareness and lack of knowledge of how to protect themselves in a contest. A few of the AFLW players were playing as well, so it wasnt just recent learners. The first thing i'd be teaching them if i was coaching is how to enter a contest correctly.

The local paper today - The West Australian - is doing its best to promote the Womens game in WA with semi-regular articles on the explosion of numbers.
We looked at The West online and could not find todays article by "Rourke Walsh."
It is headed - "Girls footy at an all time high."
Some figures quoted.
In 2016 -87 female teams.
In 2017 -157 female teams. (That is extraordinary growth)
In 2017 more than 70,000 women and girls playing.
Females now 27% of total participation. The big question is how high can that percentage get, and do not know how that relates currently to other States.
The WA footy Commission doing a statewide survey to eventually upgrade all facilities to cater for the demand, which is being driven by the AFLW Comp.
One Junior Club was struggling last year to make one team up - This year now has about 100 involved.
A major point was that huge pressure being put on Ovals and change rooms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back