WACA ground dimensions/history

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 3, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Does anyone know about the history of the WACA ground and how it got its characteristic shape? It appears to be cut from a much larger oval pointing the other way. Was it originally designed to have this larger form? I can only find vague references to a change of layout.

Does anyone know about the history of the WACA ground and how it got its characteristic shape? It appears to be cut from a much larger oval pointing the other way. Was it originally designed to have this larger form? I can only find vague references to a change of layout.

Have you tried the wikipedia page?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WACA_Ground

The Invararity Stand is at a stupid angle for cricket, when you on the far end in particular you almost have to look on a 45 degree angle to your left to look directly at the pitch. Probably like this because the ground was also used for AFL night matches.

The Invararity Stand is at a stupid angle for cricket, when you on the far end in particular you almost have to look on a 45 degree angle to your left to look directly at the pitch. Probably like this because the ground was also used for AFL night matches.

The stand was built before they played AFL at the ground. The Inverarity stand was built in 1974 and there was some kind of realignment of the ground in the 80s which i assume was when the stand became slanted at the wrong angle. Having watched some AFL games from that stand it was dogshit to watch AFL as well.

You have to go back further, the WACA once had 3 Pitch blocks, one of course in the centre and one at either end of the ground. There used to be 2 WACA A Grade matches played there every weekend. The Invararity stand was directly behind the Centre pitch area when it was built as the ground aligned differently at the time. It was mostly paid for by Member subscription. The ground aligned to more as it is today in the early 80's when the Prindiville stand was built.
The ground itself was very large once and has been changed many times over the years.

You have to go back further, the WACA once had 3 Pitch blocks, one of course in the centre and one at either end of the ground. There used to be 2 WACA A Grade matches played there every weekend. The Invararity stand was directly behind the Centre pitch area when it was built as the ground aligned differently at the time. It was mostly paid for by Member subscription. The ground aligned to more as it is today in the early 80's when the Prindiville stand was built.
The ground itself was very large once and has been changed many times over the years.

Cheers, didn't know about there being multiple wicket blocks. Prior to the redevelopment there was a little stand about where the half forward flank was that pointed towards the scoreboard. It always looked a bit odd, especially given the Inverarity stand pointed another way again. I guess it was there because it was so you could watch the other game going on.

waca-400.jpg

Here's an old photo of the ground, even with pitches being used to the west it still seems like a ridiculous angle to build the stand.

From memory the afl only ever really used the ground as Subiaco didn't have light towers & couldn't get approval to have them erected there either

From memory the afl only ever really used the ground as Subiaco didn't have light towers & couldn't get approval to have them erected there either
Yeah, they stopped using the WACA once Subi got lights.

After the AFL was out the ground was adjusted, cutting off the eastern and western ends and returning the grass banks. You can see by following the curve of the fence how much bigger the ground was before that.

One thing I never understood was how they managed to reduce the size of the playing area and at the same time reduce the crowd capacity of the ground!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anybody done a tour of the WACA museum? Curious what sort of memorabilia is in there. Are there any sport books in the museum or somewhere else within the WACA?

I worked the bar in the Inverarity Stand that match. Was a death-trap 20 years ago.....

A mate of mine bought us Scorchers memberships for the last season they played at the WACA Ground, and we were seated there, I know what you mean!

Sad, you visit ancient cities in Europe and their infrastructure lasts hundreds of years, whereas ours is seemingly not planned for properly and it's old within 25.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back