Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
PERTH Scorchers games and Tests involving England, India and South Africa will be shifted to the new Perth Stadium, according to a WACA proposal.

The WACA’s ‘Vision 2030’ outline, released on Thursday morning, recommends the popular Big Bash fixtures, high-drawing Tests and international limited-overs games will switch from the WACA Ground to the Burswood site upon the new stadium’s completion in 2018.

Sheffield Shield and domestic 50-over games would remain at the WACA Ground, as would Tests involving smaller drawcards including New Zealand, West Indies, Sri Lanka and Pakistan.

The WACA Ground would be developed into a “modern boutique stadium” that could also incorporate WAFL matches and the WA Football Commission’s administration, according to the proposal.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/cr...to-waca-proposal/story-fnhq7arj-1227510815566

I just hope the pitch is Test match suitable. Don't care about other forms being played at the new stadium, but I was really hoping Test matches would stay at the WACA ground.

Well, trying to duplicate the existing WACA pitch in the drop-ins is part of their agenda, and something they've already been working on. So at least they're nominally aware a boring drop-in pitch is going to get them sent out of the state on a rail...

Well, trying to duplicate the existing WACA pitch in the drop-ins is part of their agenda, and something they've already been working on. So at least they're nominally aware a boring drop-in pitch is going to get them sent out of the state on a rail...
I really hope it works. I don't really mind which venue I go to for a game, and obviously the new one will be more comfortable and pleasant than the current WACA, but as I said in my feedback to them I'd rather sit at the shitty old WACA ground and see Test cricket on a proper pitch than sit in the superduper new stadium watching a boring drop-in.

I really hope it works. I don't really mind which venue I go to for a game, and obviously the new one will be more comfortable and pleasant than the current WACA, but as I said in my feedback to them I'd rather sit at the shitty old WACA ground and see Test cricket on a proper pitch than sit in the superduper new stadium watching a boring drop-in.
It is far and away the biggest concern.

Inevitable all Tests will be played at the new stadium eventually. After people have gone to a nice stadium to see the Ashes and India and ODIs and Scorchers (and Dockers/Eagles) they simply won't go back to the WACA to see Sri Lanka.

Most of those games won't get anywhere near 60,000 anyway

No, but a lot of them will get more than or near 20,000.

This.
I'm happy if the pitch is the same because that's the best part of the WACA and I want to watch good cricket.

If I wanted to sit in comfort I'd stay at home with cheap beer.

i went on a WACA ground tour a few weeks ago, the ground has nice history and i enjoyed the tour but at the same time i just can't see a future to keep playing cricket there.

The brilliance of the waca is what is inside of the fence

Arguably as good as test cricket gets - fast runs, plenty of poles, bowling green Fielding surface

That is what is being lost

As a crickets lover, losing another pitch with identity is a shame

Unfortunately the outside of the fence is a debacle

I just hope that with modern technology we can get a pitch somewhat resembling what we are used to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another drop-in - absolute garbage.

Would have no issues about the move if they kept a proper pitch. CA really needs to grow some balls and stand up to the AFL about keeping real pitches on 'shared' grounds.

Surely they shouldn't have rushed into such a decision. At least see how the pitch fared for a few domestic games before signing away the future.

CA really needs to grow some balls and stand up to the AFL about keeping real pitches on 'shared' grounds.

AFL brings most of the revenue to shared stadiums. Overwhelmingly so at the MCG and Adelaide Oval.

Last edited:
Good for them. Doesn't mean they can't play footy on grounds with permanent pitches - the Swans and the Lions do.

If the MCC and CA said they were going to put a permanent pitch back in the 'G, what's the AFL going to do? Stop playing matches there?

Last edited:
If the MCC and CA said they were going to put a permanent pitch back in the 'G, what's the AFL going to do? Stop playing matches there?

MCC know which side their bread is buttered (AFL) and they wouldn't want to put offside the owner (VIC Government).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back