WACA plan for future

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm guessing the WACA want to use the WAFL as a new revenue stream but the surface is 4m shorter (149m) than the SCG when at it shortest (153m). I can't see that being hugely popular.

I'm guessing the WACA want to use the WAFL as a new revenue stream but the surface is 4m shorter (149m) than the SCG when at it shortest (153m). I can't see that being hugely popular.
I think they're planning on lengthening it again. Presumably back to how it was in the 90's when AFL matches were played there.

It was going to cost serious money to redevelop and expand the ground, they are talking about $150-200 million for the new plan with reduced crowd capacity of 15,000. They just don't have the money to fund a proper redevelopment privately. They aren't going to get the money through partnerships with developers, the only alternative is to go cap in hand to the government. But they've just started building a new stadium just 2km away and won't fund a big redevelopment for what are essentially duplicate facilities. The WACA are left with getting the best deal they can. If that means no permanent pitch then that's what they get. They took on a commercial risk and it didn't work out for them, it is too late now to start pushing other parties around and demanding things.

i don't understand why the cost would be $150m. You could build a new stadium of the same quality for that.

put up some shade cloths and keep doing, you'd get alot more people to the games and probably would have cost about $7m.

Where Hawthorn and North Melbourne play? And I'm sure there are TFL or TSL or whatever their footy league is called now games there also.

The WACA can't be used for footy, it's purely a cricket oval now. And there will soon be a bigger, better one just across the pond.
What like 3/4 games? And playing TSL would be equivalent to WAFL that they plan on playing at the WACA anyway. Its documented on the vision 2030 WACA website that they will be playing WAFL games there

i don't understand why the cost would be $150m. You could build a new stadium of the same quality for that.

put up some shade cloths and keep doing, you'd get alot more people to the games and probably would have cost about $7m.
Now that's simply just being to logical and practical!

Surprised it isn't bigger from side to side

Since they're moving all the major games to Burswood why not start up by demolishing the Inverarity stand?
And hopefully replace it was a stand that actually faces the centre of the ground?

And doesn't have two sets of seat numbers going in opposite directions? And provides shade for people not sitting in the back 5 rows right by the canteen?

Do the WACA just make it up as they go along?

And where is $150-200m going to come from? If they want to secure private funding that's their prerogative but it would be a complete waste of public funds.

WA needs to get to grips with the fact that we don't need Subiaco Oval, the WACA and the new stadium.

Do the WACA just make it up as they go along?

And where is $150-200m going to come from? If they want to secure private funding that's their prerogative but it would be a complete waste of public funds.

WA needs to get to grips with the fact that we don't need Subiaco Oval, the WACA and the new stadium.

Subi should just be a suburban ground ala Fremantle Oval, Bassendean etc.

The WACA would be a good home for East Perth as well. You never know where the future will take us, so we might as well keep our existing infrastructure open-ended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Subi should just be a suburban ground ala Fremantle Oval, Bassendean etc.

The WACA would be a good home for East Perth as well. You never know where the future will take us, so we might as well keep our existing infrastructure open-ended.

The WAFL functions fine now without Subi. It's an extravagance to add another suburban ground into the fold.

It makes sense to keep the WACA or Subi - not both. One should be demolished.

The WAFL functions fine now without Subi. It's an extravagance to add another suburban ground into the fold.

It makes sense to keep the WACA or Subi - not both. One should be demolished.

Hardly an extravagance to want one more suburban ground. They're going to demolish the old, awful grandstands anyway.

The state is investing $1b+ in a new stadium.

On top of that people are talking about redeveloping the WACA to be a world class boutique stadium, and redeveloping Subiaco Oval for the purpose of WAFL matches.

It's fanciful stuff. The govt doesn't have a bottomless pit of money to develop stadiums we don't need.

$200M and it REDUCES capacity?

**** me. I need to go work for WA cricket. Clearly just throwing money around with absolutely no ******* clue.
They are quite good at that. The last redevelopment (when the AFL stopped playing there) somehow managed to reduce the size of the playing area AND reduce capacity from 30,000 to 20,000. I'm still not sure how they did it.

They are quite good at that. The last redevelopment (when the AFL stopped playing there) somehow managed to reduce the size of the playing area AND reduce capacity from 30,000 to 20,000. I'm still not sure how they did it.
I just don't understand how you can spend that sort of money and end up with a smaller stadium. It's mind boggling.

The state is investing $1b+ in a new stadium.

On top of that people are talking about redeveloping the WACA to be a world class boutique stadium, and redeveloping Subiaco Oval for the purpose of WAFL matches.

It's fanciful stuff. The govt doesn't have a bottomless pit of money to develop stadiums we don't need.
You could call it a mine of money.

Dennis Lillee was in charge of the WACA at the time and now he has spat the dummy and quit because they are taking the bigger test matches away !

The new stadium will be fantastic to watch cricket at. Really looking forward to it.

Perth's population is going to grow by a million in the decades to come. The Subiaco Oval site is in a great location a few hundreds metres from a 6 minute train ride to the city. Gifting it to a WAFL club - that doesn't need it - would be a wasteful indulgence. They should build a couple apartment towers or at the very least medium density housing.

I don't completely understand it either, but I guess that's what new stadiums cost. They'd need to demolish the old Inverarity Stand, build new foundations, and then erect a new grandstand with a roof that actually provides some shade to the paying patrons. I guess the engineering and construction of such things is far more complicated and expensive than we imagine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back