Oppo Camp WADA appealing Essendon decision

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow is the only thing I can think of, as selfish as that may be.
I think their genuinely worried about the drug cheats label. Nathan Lovett-Murray was losing his mind over it and he's got a lot less at stake than most.

Pfft, get real. Most people love this saga. They love the drama and they love watching Essendon self-immolate.

What I reckon is interesting is their motivation. The ruling - one way or another - looks like it'll come after their suspensions are up. They say it's to avoid being labelled 'drug cheats', but that label isn't going to go away if they get off on a legal technicality.

True and true.
In my opinion anyway.
For what that is worth.

and it begins. Dyson Heppell is suing Essendon

ESSENDON'S captain-in-waiting Dyson Heppell is about to launch an unprecedented legal claim against his club for more than $1 million in compensation stemming from the WADA suspension.

The claim is multi-layered and will cover loss of earnings related to his playing contract and impact of reputational damage. It is believed Heppell will also seek redress for loss of private sponsorships.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-14/dyson-heppells-milliondollar-legal-claim

It would be very hard for him, and the club, IMO, to go thru those proceeding and come out the other side, and then don the jumper and play with pride (pun intended)

I reckon Heppell knows he will be courted well and this is his chance, for want of a better phrase, to capitalise on their mistake ( the supplements thing).
He gets paid off the field and gets his pound of flesh - and moves on and gets his professional payday playing footy at a new club.

Can't see he or the club seeing eye to eye after that....

Go Catters

Can't see him playing for them again given the bad blood that this case will generate...
Robbo on 360 last night suggested you put money on the fact Heppell wouldn't go anywhere

Wonder how he thinks about that now

"The Bombers believe they are equipped to deal with players suing them and playing for them at the same time"

Right. :rolleyes:

Yeah... You just just hear the club mantra now....

MON - THU

" we did nothing wrong. You are not getting one cent from us. Piss off back to your lawyers and take your suits and shove them where the sun dont shine. Now get back to training and team meetings"

FRI - SUN

" you are the heart and soul of this club and we love and embrace you for it. Go out there and play for us, play for the great Red and Black, and do it for us. Do it for each other and do it for this great club here at Essendon. And of course, do it for yourselves. "

oh the irony....

Talk about the two sides of footy........:oops::drunk:

GO Catters

Robbo on 360 last night suggested you put money on the fact Heppell wouldn't go anywhere

Wonder how he thinks about that now

Of course Robbo's comments are completely unbiased.
Which club does Robbo support again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MON - THU

" we did nothing wrong. You are not getting one cent from us. Piss off back to your lawyers and take your suits and shove them where the sun dont shine. Now get back to training and team meetings"

FRI - SUN

" you are the heart and soul of this club and we love and embrace you for it. Go out there and play for us, play for the great Red and Black, and do it for us. Do it for each other and do it for this great club here at Essendon. And of course, do it for yourselves. "

oh the irony....

GO Catters

I think they would say/spin it that just like a parent of a big family , they cant give one child too much or it will come at the cost of the rest.. "We really love to , and we will come to some agreement but it will not be what your asking for Dyson. Id say we can start talking about 6 figures and we can progress from there"... of course a parent usually does not delist a child when they get too old. Maybe kicked out the house ...:rolleyes:

To me , although he has always been a Red and Black person..blah,blah,blah... he is at an age now where the emotion of playing for the team he supported is shrouded in the coat of being a professional footballer. Its different if you are a Danger and having done your time elsewhere and now gets to choose lifestyle,club etc but my guess if we were a cellar dweller and not serious about being a contender , Danger would be elsewhere.

Id think (no matter what EFC say) that Ess are in for a period like what the Saints and Carlton are doing. Again no matter what they say , I think they know it if they are !m off on what Hooker is getting offered. It will be a while before they are on top of their game again. There are some who say Carlton never recovered from the SC punishment... I call crap on that.. but it shows that how much time and how difficult it is to climb to the top after being bottom. What did that non AFL guy from Gold Coast say.. win a flag within 5 years etc. Yeah right. Perhaps its even harder for the likes of Car and Ess who still have the mindset of being in the big four. Look at Richmond and if Ess are not very careful they could be look at that time frame. If Haw ever bottom out they have a whole supporter base thats not familiar with being rubbish.Its why I think they need to really clean slate it.

So If Heppell thinks like that... as catempire said... it might just be a game changer. ...and maybe why he thinks he has little to loose..go hard , then go some where else.

MON - THU

FRI - SUN

oh the irony....

GO Catters

I suspect that the club will be hoping that it can stay removed from the fracas, and any effect on the player-club relationship, because the litigation and negotiations will be between player and insurer.

Somehow feel they rue the day Sir James walked back into that club.
From the outside, I'd be a little surprised if the majority didn't already (even if it is silently).

Not only has he helped trash the club he "loves" but he has done irreparable damage to his own brand.

When Hird played I really liked him.

I don't feel that way about him now.

Interesting comparison of approaches.
Essendon were dragged kicking and screaming and denied everything. 2016 = Wooden Spooners
Cronulla copped it on the chin and sucked it up straight away. 2016 are in the NRL Grand Final.

Interesting comparison of approaches.
Essendon were dragged kicking and screaming and denied everything. 2016 = Wooden Spooners
Cronulla copped it on the chin and sucked it up straight away. 2016 are in the NRL Grand Final.
Still a joke that they both copped virtually nothing for being drug cheats

They got financial sanctions like Essendon and don't have a draft so can't exactly punish them there.
The players copped reduced penalties from ASADA in line with confessing and co-operating which was partly served in season and ruined their 2014 season.

They ripped the band-aid off like a wise club would, not like arrogant Essendon.

What do you mean? They copped a first rounder and some handy handmedowns. Should be in line for the 8 next year with a team that looks like this
baguley hooker mcdonald-tipun
Dea hurley kelly
Stanton goddard colyer
Myers vardy zaharakis
Brown Daniher watson
Leuenberger heppell z.merrett

107.gif

Oh and Jobe old boy, remember to bring Charlie back to AFL house.

kkthxbai

It would not make one iota of logic for the AFL to allow Jobe to keep the Brownlow.

However that doesn't mean it won't happen. In fact, I think they'll do just that. Why? Because they care about the "brand" and the other bullshit that means the club and the 34 players have skated through this whole saga unscathed.

i had a few quiet chuckles during the Olympics when every athlete and (especially) media commentator continually spat out the words "drug cheats" with a fair amount of vitriol about the Russian athletes. At around the same time the same networks were showing footage of the "hard-done by" Essendon players (no mention of the few with any integrity who at least went to other clubs) partying somewhere-or-other in order to "let off steam" after a "difficult year".

The level of public relations that has been employed by the EFC and its supporters (primarily the 7 network) is enormous. To me the EFC epitomizes all that is wrong with the AFL.

I follow and passionately support the Cats, but I can't really say I enjoy football anymore (except for the Bulldogs winning this year!). Thanks bombers. Cheers Gillon.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back