WADA denies Dank email

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the point stands, that it is the vasoactive substances in the over the counter cold medicines (the decongestant bit) that are banned rather than paracetamol.

Phenylephrine is only used because junkys make MethAmphetamine out of Ephedrine, need photo ID to buy an Epthedrine based drugs from the chemists now days, which sucks because i hate Phenylephrine.

Doesn't enhance performance but returns the participant to the uninjured condition. Whilst it is a grey area, this line of reasoning shows a wilful ingnorance of the how the rules are structured.

My apologies

Not disputing that it is a gray area, and in hindsight, it should not have been taken, I chose a very poor way to say what I meant, but, automatically labeling it a PED, by many. when that exact status of it has not yet been confirmed by ASADA or WADA, for the obvious S0 issue doesn't make it so.

My apologies

Not disputing that it is a gray area, and in hindsight, it should not have been taken, I chose a very poor way to say what I meant, but, automatically labeling it a PED, by many. when that exact status of it has not yet been confirmed by ASADA or WADA, for the obvious S0 issue doesn't make it so.

No worries.

Yes. they will be punished for poor governance practices... at the very least. but to suggest that club was knowingly doping it's players is just plain wrong... This doesn't exhonerate them by any means. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that the reason behind this circumstance is poor governance rather than a conscious effort to cheat / inject WADA prohibitted substances / dope its players..

If it was found that they had systematically set out to cheat... throw the book at them with everything you've got.

I think that's a fair contention. However, when you knowingly run a supplement program that is "on the edge", as Essendon have done, I'm not sure intent will matter to the regulatory authorities. Also I would contend the nature of Essendon's program was systematic - it appears the obvious failures in regard to due diligence, have resulted in a banned substance being systematically administered to several players. Whether the intent, or outcome of it could be considered cheating (ie: gaining an unfair advantage) is still up for debate.

I'd be surprised if this scandal is confined to Essendon and Melbourne, given the stakes (prestige, revenue etc) are so high these days. Clubs are evidently leaving no stone unturned in their search for an edge over their rivals. I suspect players are doing the same of their own accord.

The perception I get from sport in general these days is that the team or competitor with the best pharmacist wins.

And that sucks.

I think that's a fair contention. However, when you knowingly run a supplement program that is "on the edge", as Essendon have done, I'm not sure intent will matter to the regulatory authorities. Also I would contend the nature of Essendon's program was systematic - it appears the obvious failures in regard to due diligence, have resulted in a banned substance being systematically administered to several players. Whether the intent, or outcome of it could be considered cheating (ie: gaining an unfair advantage) is still up for debate.

I'd be surprised if this scandal is confined to Essendon and Melbourne, given the stakes (prestige, revenue etc) are so high these days. Clubs are evidently leaving no stone unturned in their search for an edge over their rivals. I suspect players are doing the same of their own accord.

The perception I get from sport in general these days is that the team or competitor with the best pharmacist wins.

And that sucks.
Largely agree, the next big one is SHane Charter, I thought he had claimed 6 teams he knows of are involved in some form with PED is a scary though, more, he is willing to co operate with ASADA.

IF he spills, and a lot are involved, depending how wide spread, than you wonder if the only thing to do is a amnesty? Come clean, offer a suspended sentence, and make the rules from now very clear.

Largely agree, the next big one is SHane Charter, I thought he had claimed 6 teams he knows of are involved in some form with PED is a scary though, more, he is willing to co operate with ASADA.

IF he spills, and a lot are involved, depending how wide spread, than you wonder if the only thing to do is a amnesty? Come clean, offer a suspended sentence, and make the rules from now very clear.

And this may well be why other clubs are reluctant to publicly comment on the current state of affairs...

And this may well be why other clubs are reluctant to publicly comment on the current state of affairs...

Rather agree. If what Charter has said is true though, there should be no trust in clubs doing their own checks, heck, even without him

Considering what Essendon is going through, if another club came forward as said "We're not so sure about this" even if it was nor certain of breaking WADA/ASADA's code, I'm not sure they would want to cop this treatment. We may well have done something wrong, but publicly coming out with it, we're been at the middle of rumor and innuendo. It's not a pretty sight,

Rather agree. If what Charter has said is true though, there should be no trust in clubs doing their own checks, heck, even without him

Considering what Essendon is going through, if another club came forward as said "We're not so sure about this" even if it was nor certain of breaking WADA/ASADA's code, I'm not sure they would want to cop this treatment. We may well have done something wrong, but publicly coming out with it, we're been at the middle of rumor and innuendo. It's not a pretty sight,

I think the media maelstrom would've been foreseen.

Whilst it maybe a useful fiction for Essendon to be able to claim they invited ASADA to investigate them because of concerns that suddenly came to light in the 48hrs prior to the1st press conference.

The reality is they didn't have much of a choice. The ACC investigation made sure of that.

Is there any precedence of WADA doing an amnesty? Surely that is not an option. Why would WADA care if the whole AFL got rubbed out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that is what they did, it was not a supplement program. Things like AOD9604 that you inject are not supplements, they are drugs. The reason they were being injected was Essendon believed that they would enhance proformance. So it was a Proformance Enhancing Drugs program. That is a doping program. Essendon just incorrectly beleived that they had found some sort of loophole in the rules banning PED programs that would allow them to get away with it.
Easier to call it exactly what it was a drug cheating program.

Easy but not proven correct

We all know its drug cheating AOD is used to cheat with drugs. Only question remains - what the everlasting effects of these drugs are as the labs in Germany working overtime to give us the results.

Then explain to us why the hell they used it in the first place?

Dank: There's this one drug, that's not approved for human use and has no performance enhancing properties, what do you reckon?

Essendon: No performance enhancing properties you say? Beauty, where do we sign? What else do you have like that?

o_O

Same reason people spend money on echineacia, vitamin C, and a myriad of other health food store stuff. Based upon a little bit of science saying one thing, experts massively overstate the actual effects, and the nuff nuffs open their wallets.

Same reason people spend money on echineacia, vitamin C, and a myriad of other health food store stuff. Based upon a little bit of science saying one thing, experts massively overstate the actual effects, and the nuff nuffs open their wallets.

The same?

I must get down to my health food store and be dazzled by all of the AOD 9604 and Thymosin beta 4 marketing on display that will no doubt stun me to the point where I leave with a fistful of products and my wallet empty.

Never mind that I am one of the people in charge of an AFL football department that has had PED rules and regs pumped in to me.

The marketing and scientific reports will just be too damn hard to overcome.

The same?

I must get down to my health food store and be dazzled by all of the AOD 9604 and Thymosin beta 4 marketing that will no doubt stun me to the point where I leave with a fistful of products and my wallet empty.

Never mind that I am one of the people in charge of an AFL football department that has had PED rules and regs pumped in to me.

The marketing and scientific reports will just be too damn hard to overcome.

Its the same in that a few unsubstantiated benefits were massively oversold. I'm not talking about the s0 issue, rather the fact the product apparently doesnt work that bloody well yet people still used it.

It's not the first supplement with SFA effect which people paid way too much for, and it won't be the last because people are always chasing the miracle product

Easy but not proven correct

Honestly, how can you call it anything other than that?

AOD9604 - a peptide initially promoted as an anti-obesity drug, now being touted as a treatment for osteoarthritis. Apparently allows for quicker recovery. Not yet approved for human use
Cerebrolysin - made from pig brain proteins, for the treatment of acute and chronic neurological diseases. It is approved in 44 countries for stroke, dementia and traumatic brain injury.
Bovine Colostrum - first milk from a cow that's just given birth. Used for boosting the immune system, healing injuries, repairing nervous system damage, improving mood and an agent for killing bacteria and fungus. WADA issue a warning to athletes about the use of Bovine Colostrum stating that because it contains IGF-1 (and that raises levels of the hormone in the body) they recommend it not be used. IGF-1 is a banned substance.
Solcoseryl - is a deproteinized hemodialysate obtained from blood serum of veal calves. It is used to stimulate tissue regeneration. Indications are for burns and difficult to heal wounds.
Thymosine - a naturally occurring peptide found in blood platelets, wound tissues and other tissues in the body. Much of the clinical research appears to be concentrating on treating the damaged eye. Peptidelabs notes it's #1 benefit is the increase muscle growth with huge increases in endurance and strength. Thymosin Beta 4 is banned by WADA.
Ubiquinone - Ubiquinone, also called Coenzyme Q-10, is a coenzyme that is made naturally in the body. Ubiquinone has been used in congestive heart failure, gum disease, and type 2 diabetes.

Can anyone give a reasonable and logical explanation as to why athletes were given these substances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back