Remove this Banner Ad

NoAFLinmycomp

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Central District
Fortunately, we have none of those vultures circling our sport. No parallels here at all!

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0002780023

"Though the issue of money has not necessarily changed the athletes and their focuses remain the same to do their best, it obviously encouraged a whole lot of people who work around them — agents, doctors, coaches, administrators, and not all of them are good. I think the attraction of money to the athletes’ entourages is the issue."

Betting sponsors as vultures, who'd have thunk it?

"
We used to treat sport as nice little plaything. Now you have sport as one of top growth products in the world. Of course you have other arrays of societal problems as you have with other businesses. That is something we tend not to look at. For instance, unregulated betting. When I say 25 percent of world sport has engagement by the criminal underworld, people say, “You are wrong.” I just turned and said, “Here is what’s being bet on women’s football under 16,” and people are staggered. They do not know the extent of what is going on."

Fortunately, we have none of those vultures circling our sport. No parallels here at all!

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0002780023

"Though the issue of money has not necessarily changed the athletes and their focuses remain the same to do their best, it obviously encouraged a whole lot of people who work around them — agents, doctors, coaches, administrators, and not all of them are good. I think the attraction of money to the athletes’ entourages is the issue."

Betting sponsors as vultures, who'd have thunk it?

"
We used to treat sport as nice little plaything. Now you have sport as one of top growth products in the world. Of course you have other arrays of societal problems as you have with other businesses. That is something we tend not to look at. For instance, unregulated betting. When I say 25 percent of world sport has engagement by the criminal underworld, people say, “You are wrong.” I just turned and said, “Here is what’s being bet on women’s football under 16,” and people are staggered. They do not know the extent of what is going on."
I fell in love with a girl called Wakako on a high school exchange about 25 years ago...

This rings true for me:
'Japan has been a model country...You also have high value systems, such as taking pride in not cheating.'

I reckon Australia peddles the notion that we have the same pride in not cheating among our sports players, but in reality whatever-it-takes is the dominant ethos and is corrupting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back