WADA to appeal AFL Tribunal's Essendon ruling

Remove this Banner Ad

I may be wrong.
But this is danks appeal i am talking about, can WADA actually take it out of his hands?
Just doesn't seem legal, i thought Dank has the right to appeal to whomever he likes.
Dank was charged with a number of offences. The AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal were comfortably satisfied about his guilt on some of them, and were not comfortably satisfied about his guilt on others. Dank has appealed the guilty findings (to the AFL Anti-Doping Appeals Board), and WADA has appealed the findings where Dank was not found guilty (to CAS).
Should Dank be successful in his appeal, WADA can still become involved at that point on those charges by appeal to CAS; they could also appeal associated penalties handed down by the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal (most likely directly to CAS based on recent events).

Once could assume that a ruling saying that Dank was guilty of administering to the players would be very bad for the players' chances of getting off ... kind of hard to combine you are guilty of giving to them with you didn't take anything...

The AFL wanted to give it a shot...but they tried the slightly more believable but even tighter balance of "you are guilty of having those drugs but we can't be sure the injections that we don't know what they were...were those drugs" :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Succinct and complete.

Do we know if these can be combined under the same appeal hearing as the players?

I would think that if all are assessed at the same time, it could strenthen WADA's interpretation of comfortable satisfaction.

I was only just thinking this minute on the morning commute, that with the time differences any new updates (as scarce as they've become now without all the leaks) will be early morning news items and forum posts.

And low and behold, you deliver!

This will get chief's HTB post count up and running again for another couple of weeks, 'til the next announcement!

It's an interesting point.

Any finding against one party may heavily influence the case against the other. Clearing one party would have a similar effect in the other direction.

I'm thinking that Dank will not want to be part of the players appeal as his lawyers would have far less control over how the case could be run and any screw ups could affect him badly. I'll wager he will want to go alone on this and would resist having the cases combined.

I may be wrong.
But this is danks appeal i am talking about, can WADA actually take it out of his hands?
Just doesn't seem legal, i thought Dank has the right to appeal to whomever he likes.

My understanding is Dank's appeal is now moot.
Even if he wins his appeal to the AFL tribunal, WADA can in turn appeal that decision.
So ultimately it will end up at CAS anyway.

My understanding is Dank's appeal is now moot.
Even if he wins his appeal to the AFL tribunal, WADA can in turn appeal that decision.
So ultimately it will end up at CAS anyway.
Hope he goes through with his appeal then Wada appeals it to the Cas if the result is reversed, double legal fees for the Essendon drug regime participant.

So the tribunal itself was so independent that according to Timmy, the AFL was still trying to do a deal with EFC on the night before the Tribunal sitting. I keep telling myself to switch off whenever Timmy talks about EFC's PED program given he is so compromised (and rightly so...he's a legend of the club whose son is captain of the club and their best player).

Interesting to see how this new claim plays out. First I have heard of it.

I do think it a bullshit claim though that given no new evidence will be put forward, there is no chance of a different verdict other than what the AFL Tribunal gave. Completely different tribunal with completely independent members. Players are about to be hung out to dry by Albert.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back