Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

[QUOTE="jenny61_99, post: 42777752, member: 22889"]I didn't say he didn't have any redeeming qualities, just that it was difficult to identify any. I guess his sense of entitlement has been knocked out of him? Time will tell.[/QUOTE]

Hah. I think your meaning was clear when read in context, but I like your parsing and predicating style. You might have been a great loss to the Law :)

Perhaps better put, if it was another club in the firing line Essendon had the exact same program, do you think the AFL would put any real highlight on it if they didn't have to?
TBH I think it would have been worse. The AFL went all cover-up initially and then went with the scape-goat approach.

Had this been a lesser Vic team or an inter-state team from the outset, the scape-goating would have been on a larger scale - possibly even up to and not excluding, sacrificing the club.

Had this been a lesser Vic team or an inter-state team from the outset, the scape-goating would have been on a larger scale - possibly even up to and not excluding, sacrificing the club.

I can only imagine what the AFL would have done to Adelaide given they already reamed us without lube over Tippett and punished us for Melbourne's tanking as well.

WADA's Howman summarising the EFC escalation, same justification McDevitt had used.
Reference at the end about re-testing of 2012 Olympics to start "soon", with another round in 4-5 years - just reiterates that all AFL players from that era are not done and dusted, for sometime yet.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...y/news-story/90ef20be8440fd30ff08c2e9d5a49323

Speaking to a packed room at the annual WADA symposium in Switzerland, Howman said the burden of proof in the AFL tribunal “was not the burden of proof (applied) in doping cases”.

“Partnered by ASADA we took it to CAS and CAS overturned the initial decision in Australia,” he said. “That protects our investigations. If it hadn’t happened then I wouldn’t be saying investigations would stack up better than criminal prosecution. That was a huge step in the right direction for us by CAS.’’

Meanwhile the stored urine samples from the London 2012 Olympic Games will be re-tested “soon’’ with another round of retrospective testing in four to five years, Reedie announced.

WADA's Howman summarising the EFC escalation, same justification McDevitt had used.
Reference at the end about re-testing of 2012 Olympics to start "soon", with another round in 4-5 years - just reiterates that all AFL players from that era are not done and dusted, for sometime yet.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...y/news-story/90ef20be8440fd30ff08c2e9d5a49323

Speaking to a packed room at the annual WADA symposium in Switzerland, Howman said the burden of proof in the AFL tribunal “was not the burden of proof (applied) in doping cases”.

“Partnered by ASADA we took it to CAS and CAS overturned the initial decision in Australia,” he said. “That protects our investigations. If it hadn’t happened then I wouldn’t be saying investigations would stack up better than criminal prosecution. That was a huge step in the right direction for us by CAS.’’

Meanwhile the stored urine samples from the London 2012 Olympic Games will be re-tested “soon’’ with another round of retrospective testing in four to five years, Reedie announced.

Geez i hope they collected enough pee for all these retests!

I just have to say that I am not an Essendon supporter, but in no way am I looking to aggravate or insult any Essendon supporters or players - have to make that crystal clear. I am only giving my opinions on what I've seen and heard.

In the wake of this Essendon supplements debacle (and any other issue that hits the media), I try to be impartial and don't like to make judgements unless I know all the issues at hand. But only recently I watched this Four Corners Segment on the ABC:

WHATEVER IT TAKES

By Quentin McDermott and Peter Cronau

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2016/03/21/4426753.htm

It was centered around a delisted Essendon player, Hal Hunter. If you haven't watched this segment, then I most strongly suggest you do. For me, this whole issue has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with any (alleged) "cheating", or whether the WADA-enforced sanctions were the right or wrong thing to do....totally irrelevant. What has particularly upset and angered me was the whole issue of due diligence and due process, in regards to how the supplements program was managed, and the way Hal Hunter was treated in his attempts to get information from the Essendon Administration. From what I have seen, I feel incredible sympathy - not only for Hal Hunter, but all his loved ones, along with all the Essendon faithful. If you choose to watch this program, you will see all the details involved and why I have made these comments.

In writing this post, I am hoping this prompts some Essendon members and supporters to write to the Essendon Administration and demand some answers, as it's you members and supporters that can make this happen.

Again, I mean no offence to any Essendon supporters or players.

I just have to say that I am not an Essendon supporter, but in no way am I looking to aggravate or insult any Essendon supporters or players - have to make that crystal clear. I am only giving my opinions on what I've seen and heard.

In the wake of this Essendon supplements debacle (and any other issue that hits the media), I try to be impartial and don't like to make judgements unless I know all the issues at hand. But only recently I watched this Four Corners Segment on the ABC:

WHATEVER IT TAKES

By Quentin McDermott and Peter Cronau

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2016/03/21/4426753.htm

It was centered around a delisted Essendon player, Hal Hunter. If you haven't watched this segment, then I most strongly suggest you do. For me, this whole issue has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with any (alleged) "cheating", or whether the WADA-enforced sanctions were the right or wrong thing to do....totally irrelevant. What has particularly upset and angered me was the whole issue of due diligence and due process, in regards to how the supplements program was managed, and the way Hal Hunter was treated in his attempts to get information from the Essendon Administration. From what I have seen, I feel incredible sympathy - not only for Hal Hunter, but all his loved ones, along with all the Essendon faithful. If you choose to watch this program, you will see all the details involved and why I have made these comments.

In writing this post, I am hoping this prompts some Essendon members and supporters to write to the Essendon Administration and demand some answers, as it's you members and supporters that can make this happen.

Again, I mean no offence to any Essendon supporters or players.

This has always been the issue for me.
My employer provides Flu Vaccinations each year through a local clinic. I put myself in the position of how i would feel if it came to light that I was not in fact given a flu vaccination, I was given some stuff and no-one could ( or would ) tell me what i had in fact been given or where it came from.

I still consider that Essendon may have known exactly what they gave , but in their quest to hide the truth and cover it up they chose the current path, which they are now locked into. In hindsight they would have been better to say, " we gave the players XXXX , sorry , please punish us " .

This has always been the issue for me.
My employer provides Flu Vaccinations each year through a local clinic. I put myself in the position of how i would feel if it came to light that I was not in fact given a flu vaccination, I was given some stuff and no-one could ( or would ) tell me what i had in fact been given or where it came from.

I still consider that Essendon may have known exactly what they gave , but in their quest to hide the truth and cover it up they chose the current path, which they are now locked into. In hindsight they would have been better to say, " we gave the players XXXX , sorry , please punish us " .

The issue I am raising here is purely about due process and due care.
If I was a player in any sporting club, particularly a professional club, and I wanted to know what medication or supplement I was given, I would damn well not stop pursuing it until I was given an answer. I would drag the whole mess to the highest court in the land if I had to. For Hal Hunter (or any other player) to be denied that information is a crime, plain and simple.

If I was a player in any sporting club, particularly a professional club, and I wanted to know what medication or supplement I was given, I would damn well not stop pursuing it until I was given an answer. I would drag the whole mess to the highest court in the land if I had to. For Hal Hunter (or any other player) to be denied that information is a crime, plain and simple.

I agree , the point I raised is that it would not be stood for in any other workplace, therefore why in a sporting club.

I agree , the point I raised is that it would not be stood for in any other workplace, therefore why in a sporting club.

Ah, big names with big reputations and enormous pay packets to protect. And "don't be ridiculous"....can't have anything like due process or due care to a player/employee get in the way of that. Perish the thought.

Ah, big names with big reputations and enormous pay packets to protect. And "don't be ridiculous"....can't have anything like due process or due care to a player/employee get in the way of that. Perish the thought.

Well Sam Newman did say it was all blown out of proportion and he'd know cos he spoke to a mate of his.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all this Essendon case quite rightly questions have been asked about what Dank knew etc, but the other person i would like to see answer some questions is 'Fat Andy" i can't believe with his very hands on approach he didn't know what was going on at Essendon and possibly other clubs, and yet it appears he hasn't been asked what i would call any serious questions about the whole Essendon saga after the initial annoucement about Essendon, only token questions.
Off course he's no longer the CEO, but the Essendon saga happened under his watch.
Now seeing as you couldn't keep him off the radio and TV and out of the papers before and he had an opinion how all sports should be run the silence from him is deafening.
Perhaps it needs a journo with a spine to approach "The Fat Man" and ask him some serious questions about the Essendon Saga, and see what his replies are.
I ask the question "Did he turn a blind eye to what was going on at Essendon until the testers got to close for comfort?"

Well Sam Newman did say it was all blown out of proportion and he'd know cos he spoke to a mate of his.

I'm only going by what Hal Hunter said in that ABC program, and that looked pretty clear cut to me - Essendon are either unwilling or unable to provide him with the details regarding the supplements. And if they are unwilling to provide that info, that all points to the Essendon hierarchy looking to cover their own reputations and financial interests, plain and simple.

But why is he supporting Dank!

I wouldn't say he was supporting Dank. He used the case of Dank suing for defamation as and example why the Essendon players shouldn't have copped a wack.

Dear Sam, you Ass.
The rules are the rules, they are international sports rules.
Dank may have escaped justice due to criminal law having a higher burden of proof.
This does not mean he is innocent, but it does mean he can't be defamed.

You can add vicarious liability to that list.

I might as well take a stab in the dark like everyone else. So here it goes. I reckon Dank is right when he says Essendon have all the documentation, and that they know exactly what was administered. I think the club would like you to believe that there was shredding going on, or that there was poor governance. The common refrain from the Bombers that 'we don't know what we gave the players, but we know it's not harmful' is not only hysterically funny, but it's one of those half-truths, as Mr. Hird would say. I bet they do know what they gave the players, and even though the substances are probably not harmful, releasing the information would open the door to litigation that would send the club to oblivion. So, in a nut shell - Essendon DO know what was administered, but not in a million years will they tell the players. And that is why they are the most disgusting, filthy club the competition has ever seen. And the only punishment that matters to me is watching them get their ass kicked every week this year (no thanks to the Demons for raining on my parade).

Speaking of parades, what the hell was the deal with that Essendon march to the G? I've never been in their shoes, so I shouldn't be quick to judge, but jeez. They looked like sheep to me. Is it lost on them that it was their own club that put them in this position? God damn. Whatever. Good luck to them.

Oh, and of course my best wishes to Dr. Bruce Reid and his family. You've done us all so proud.

And a very special message to Mr. Hamilton, who I trust is enjoying life in Bendigo. The AFL were quick to offer him a job. Makes you wonder what he knows.

And of course Mr. Robson, the first rat to jump from that sinking ship. Nothing seems to stick to this guy. The business suit seems to be a perfect disguise for a criminal.

And Danny Corcoran, oh Danny, I'm sorry but I can't mince words here. I wish nothing for you but tremendous pain and sadness for the rest of your days. If only you had the capability to learn what's important in life, and to be a decent person, but I don't think you ever will. We reap what we sow, and I believe you're going straight to hell.

And Danny Corcoran, oh Danny, I'm sorry but I can't mince words here. I wish nothing for you but tremendous pain and sadness for the rest of your days. If only you had the capability to learn what's important in life, and to be a decent person, but I don't think you ever will. We reap what we sow, and I believe you're going straight to hell.
I'm not sure if you are aware of this but when Dank and Robinson were getting up to mischief and worrying signs appeared that were not heeded, Danny's wife and mother of their 3 kids was diagnosed with a brain tumour and died after a couple of horrible months in late 2011. He took a holiday to Europe in mid January 2012 and sends a warning text about injections back to Hird after reading a book on doping. However I'm tipping he was not exactly on top of his game work wise in 2012. Possibly he was thinking about what was really important in his life at the time, his family perhaps?

He might not have done enough but maybe he has a pretty good excuse, I think you should walk a mile in his shoes before judging whether he is a decent person and condemning him to hell.

Last edited:

What incredible irony.

One of the worst posts I have ever encountered.

This last bit really takes the cake, especially for the reasons Max Headroom pointed out.

Pull your head in and get some perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back