Dudley Leopard

All Australian
Aug 24, 2011
Joondanna
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hammers, Subiaco
Reckon we need a WAFL thread for the year.

Not much action this weekend for Freo players. Suban for Claremont and Gavin Roberts for Perth Reserves.

Good to see that ABC still has the Sat arvo live telecast. Would really have missed it.

Plugga

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2004
Carramar
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City, Claremont FC
I'm heading to Claremont v perth tomorrow - should be a cracker with Neon Leon v Medhurst....was hoping Silvagni would of lined up but I just asked him on twitter & he's not playing. Hopefully Subes get a bit of the footy...needs some confidence imo.

I'm guessing Nick Lower can't play for Perth?

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
I'm heading to Claremont v perth tomorrow - should be a cracker with Neon Leon v Medhurst....was hoping Silvagni would of lined up but I just asked him on twitter & he's not playing. Hopefully Subes get a bit of the footy...needs some confidence imo.

I'm guessing Nick Lower can't play for Perth?
suspension from gf means he cant play till the next round

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Leon is out suspended.
Lower is out suspended.

Jay VB is playing ok for West Perth on the TV, seems to be playing on ball.
Gavin Roberts Perth reserves and Suban for Claremont League on Wing.

West Perth look like they commenced PS training last week.

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
JVB picked up 21 disposals. I didn't see the game though so a lot of them were probably ineffective.

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
At half time in the Clarmont V Perth game Suban has 5 disposals and is not really involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 16, 2006
ge
AFL Club
Fremantle
At half time in the Clarmont V Perth game Suban has 5 disposals and is not really involved.

I find this problematic. West Coast players routinely return to the WAFL and carve up (overhyped hacks like Koby Stevens rack up 20+ touches on average). Ours, not so much. 5 touches in a half is less than his ball winning rate at AFL level. Surely a guy with AFL fitness can accumulate a decent amount of ball.

Except it never happens. I really worry about Suban, I feel he's not just a mediocre player but quickly turning into a dud pick.

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I find this problematic. West Coast players routinely return to the WAFL and carve up (overhyped hacks like Koby Stevens rack up 20+ touches on average). Ours, not so much. 5 touches in a half is less than his ball winning rate at AFL level. Surely a guy with AFL fitness can accumulate a decent amount of ball.

Except it never happens. I really worry about Suban, I feel he's not just a mediocre player but quickly turning into a dud pick.

Subans workrate has always been a major concern for me. Rookie prospects we overlooked like Lee, Mitchell and Florio are carving it up in this game. Lyon said in his press conferance that Suban was more or less dropped and this isn't a good way to get back into the team.

Sep 16, 2006
ge
AFL Club
Fremantle
Subans workrate has always been a major concern for me. Rookie prospects we overlooked like Lee, Mitchell and Florio are carving it up in this game. Lyon said in his press conferance that Suban was more or less dropped and this isn't a good way to get back into the team.

Yeah, it's troubling. Suban being 'dropped' (even though it's preseason) is the first time in his career. I reckon he's coasted on free rides despite average performances for too long early into his early AFL career. I was hoping to see him put in an outstanding performance, but little involvement at WAFL level is not good enough. At least Pearce tries when he goes back there.

Chops_a_must

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Apr 20, 2008
The Terrortory!
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Uni Rats! Believeburgh
Suban's problem has always been his inability to get enough of the ball.

He's had about 5 games where he has. And has some unwarranted love because of this intangible "grunt".

He really needs a season where he is averaging close to 20 touches, and if he can't do that at WAFL level, there is justifiable concerns.

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Subes finished with 14 touches I believe. Clancee would of had close to 30. I wasn't at the game though.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agree with YM & Clay, I'd have expected a lot more involvement in the game, it's kind of a kick in the pants to see those we overlooked in the rookie draft carving it up for claremont too. 14 Disposals is Pearce on a bad day in the WAFL, and even if Pearce was held to 14 he'd likely have a goal or 2 to his name.

Plugga

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2004
Carramar
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City, Claremont FC
Suban played at half back the whole game...had some early touches...then faded to 1/2 time & was unsighted bar his clanger when he banged the ball out on the full in the 2nd qtr.

Played game out well though, however Claremont dominated the last quarter so that was to be expected. He did lay a few Suban-like tackles though which was encouraging. However...I'd be giving him a 5/10 & certainly not a performance to place him back in Lyon's eyes for Round 1.

Subes should be playing midfield imo....

Paul Medhurst btw had it about 21 times & kicked 3 goals & looks super fit...should be on an Afl list. Schammer was Schammer.

Apr 5, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Suban had a good first year I would say better than Hill for consistency by the end. Since then every time he has looked like he has made the next step he got injured . After first 3 games last year I thought he looked really good - gets injured and comes back mediocre. Frustrating.

Don't know how his pre-season has been but I am surprised at his form. He was noted very early for his competitive and quite confrontation attitude to opponents. However I would like to see a bit less of this "toughness" and a bit more focus on the actual play. Seen him distracted more than once with argy-bargy as play carries on nearby.

Anyway hope he picks it up

Sep 16, 2006
ge
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agree with YM & Clay, I'd have expected a lot more involvement in the game, it's kind of a kick in the pants to see those we overlooked in the rookie draft carving it up for claremont too. 14 Disposals is Pearce on a bad day in the WAFL, and even if Pearce was held to 14 he'd likely have a goal or 2 to his name.

Yeah, comparing him with other AFL players, Suban got 14 touches, while Swift got 20, Ash Smith got 28, and Lewis Stevenson got 24.

Stevenson/Smith play similar roles as Suban, and I can't imagine both played midfield (Stevenson is too soft for midfield). What's the deal?

I'd keep him at WAFL until he lifts his game and give his spot to Pearce.

Centurions

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
proves that once again stats really don't mean a great deal most of the time. smith played unaccountable footy across half back and while he got 28 touches his opponent was hurting him the other way. Suban played deeper and more accountable and wasn't required to play that role across half back with Morton and Stevenson already playing that role..

suban knows his best chance to get a permanent role is to play that lock down defender role on a small forward and did it well yesterday.

Chops_a_must

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Apr 20, 2008
The Terrortory!
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Uni Rats! Believeburgh
proves that once again stats really don't mean a great deal most of the time. smith played unaccountable footy across half back and while he got 28 touches his opponent was hurting him the other way. Suban played deeper and more accountable and wasn't required to play that role across half back with Morton and Stevenson already playing that role..

suban knows his best chance to get a permanent role is to play that lock down defender role on a small forward and did it well yesterday.

Yes, because his speed to play on those small forwards is outstanding.

His only chance of making it is to become that go to man out of defence, and to utilise his skills.

He simply needs to get more of the ball.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
Suban really isn't as slow as you make out Chops, his movement around packs in particular is very good IMO. Broughton isn't lightning quick either yet he'd my first choice to play lockdown small defender.

Think people are being way too harsh on Suban, this is practically his first uninterrupted pre-season since his debut season, he has a low possession count in his first WAFL match and gets widely panned?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back