WAFL 2016 - Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the winging has been as loud when the eagles aligned club has been doing well. Good on peel. They have had it hard since they were conceived 20 years ago. And if they can win a premiership I think it will a great thing for the peel area. There have been a lot of good footballers from the area. They are not a gws type expansion club. Go peel

It was probably worse actually. People were claiming East Perth were going to win five WAFL flags in a row when they made the 2014 Grand Final until their alignment agreement with the West Coast Eagles expired in 2018. Obviously Subiaco won that day and East Perth haven't had the calibre of players they thought they might have regularly in the seasons since then.

Kram this isn't a dig at your , more the situation as it stands.

Please don't think for a minute that I want The Poachers (otherwise know as $ubiaco ) to win, I cant stand the Club with their obsession of continually pinching players from other WAFL Clubs, more often than not the weaker WAFL Clubs.
$ubiaco's lack of commitment to WA junior football in general and young player development can be no better illustrated than by their pathetic performances in the Colts over successive years.

Sorry I digress.

However I neither want a AFL aligned team to win either.
And 17 players from Fremantle is a massive piss take and shits in the faces of the other genuine WAFL teams.

Its not an anti Fremantle thing either, as I didn't want East Perth , when aligned, to win either.

I have written to the WAFC and told them what I think of the aligned teams being able to win premierships.

As infantile and petulant as this may sound I express my displeasure by not going to the WAFL Grand Final if an aligned side plays.... the exception would be if Claremont where in the GF ;).

As a neutral, pre alignment, I generally went to all the WAFL Grand Finals.

The other thing that pisses me off, big time about Peel and East Perth, is that they did the dirty on the other WAFL Clubs and in an act of betrayal they broke ranks and did a sweetheart deal with the two WA based AFL Clubs behind the backs of the other WAFL Clubs.
Peel ( understandably ) did this to survive where as East Perth did it for purely selfish greedy reasons.

So as much as it would s**t me if $ubiaco were to win this year it would be the lesser of two evils.

The current situation is farcical and is a s**t stain of WAFL history.

I thought I'd wait until after the GF before commenting on the alignment situation but I agree with what you've said regarding the alignment.

The WAFL lacked foresight when drawing up the alignment system and we had a situation today where Peel had 17 AFL listed players playing in the Grand Final along with the other finals as well. I mentioned on the West Coast board that the WAFL should look at having an alignment model in place similar to the VFL one used currently where players who play more than half the season in the AFL (12 games or more) are ineligible to play WAFL finals. Had this been in place it would have meant that Collins, Tucker, Griffin, Clarke, Langdon, Suban and Blakely would not have been able to play today.

In reality the current system we have in place regarding WAFL finals qualification (five WAFL games) is inadequate and it is incompetence by the WAFL that there was no foresight shown by them that a situation like this could arise in the future, particularly given the strength of the WAFL clubs that have AFL listed players playing for them each week.

Firstly, let me congratulate Peel and Claremont for their GF wins yesterday. Well done to all.

Now, let me get to the point of the WAFL incompetence raised by Ljp86, I reckon that they just let this slide because they wanted the Peel win, to vindicate the decision 20 years ago to let Peel in the WAFL. Just my opinion.

Peel also had a perfect storm in that they had this host of mature bodied, AFL trained players available to them and Fremantle had no interest in sending them off to surgery because a loot weren't going to be there next year and the others would benefit from a WAFL finals campaign against men. That sort of scenario won't likely occur for many years to come, if ever again.

Peel also had a perfect storm in that they had this host of mature bodied, AFL trained players available to them and Fremantle had no interest in sending them off to surgery because a loot weren't going to be there next year and the others would benefit from a WAFL finals campaign against men. That sort of scenario won't likely occur for many years to come, if ever again.

This was the point I was trying to make, it was a "perfect storm" scenario, and will probably not occur again.

For the Subi fans, please re-wind to 1988 and the Laurie Keene situation.

I agree that if you have played more than 11 AFL games during the season, you are ineligible. Simple rule.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back