Competitions WAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Keys I don't think the bye was the problem for East perth it is how quickly the personel can change in three weeks.The South Freo game was the best victory all year and 11 players where not out there yesterday. From the back line Kyle Anderson(inj), Tom Cole, Will Schofield, Eric Mckenzie, Jackson Nelson.As well Drew Petrie, Lewis Jetta, Daniel Venables, Mark Hutchings as well as a couple of East Perth boys in Wright and Bolton.How can you have chemistry when basically the whole backline as well as the midfield doesn't have any consistency.
I understand and largely agree with what you're saying, but the problem you highlight has been exacerbated by the bye because had they been playing that volume of change would have been more incremental

That they came up against the best drilled team in the WAFL also exposed that lack of chemistry. Would have beaten a lot of other teams yesterday

Also thought they missed Venables yesterday- his run and penetrating disposal would have been handy

Rotham gets some praise in the West .." His kicking across half-back was precise . Looks a player in the making "

Sorry Keys I always go with the best review regardless of anything else ..........:footy::$ gives me hope .

Last edited:

People will say "see guys, this is why we can't drop Lecca and other senior players, look how badly EP performed"

But I bet Cole, Duggan and Sheed would have been just as ineffective in that game.

It's clear that the set up with the alignment just isn't working and I don't think you can write off the kids based on their WAFL performances. The only way to judge how they will fare at AFL level is to play them in the AFL side.

Would Lecras have made any difference to EP yesterday?
If only I could watch the WAFL and make up my own mind. Some sound logic here I suspect.

I do see the Swans Reserves and it is impressive how it is just that - A reserves team there to develop players to play the Swans game plan down to individual roles.

Rotham gets some praise in the West .." His kicking across half-back was precise . Looks a player in the making "

Sorry Keys I always go with the best review regardless of anything else ..........:footy::$ gives me hope .

I agree that he's a player in the making and his kicking is usually precise but Saturday's game wasn't particularly good evidence of that

Ryan is a bit of a seagull though. Rarely leaves the F50 and for experienced defenders Butlingham stood too far off him and refused to block his run at the ball. Got away with it in the first half but not in the second when subi got control of the midfield

Butler and Wellingham probably stay at EP this week hopefully ..

I agree that he's a player in the making and his kicking is usually precise but Saturday's game wasn't particularly good evidence of that
I do enjoy reading the Player Watch in The West.

The reserves players are just extended descriptions from the stats, they never watch the reserves and are usually in the presidents function "looking for a story" which is code for trying to get a free meal and drink.

Then there are player descriptions from the league where you can tell they are at the end of a long day, look at their list of AFL players and think s**t what number is he? I can't remeber him at all.

From todays paper Rotham and Snadden fall into category two

Karps seems to have plenty of talent, just a shame that he doesn't get more touches (or goals), that's probably what's stopping him from being selected. What seems to be stopping him from getting more disposals, his size/speed, lack of confidence, generally not getting involved enough or not being played in the right position? If he currently doesn't actually spend that much time there, it'd be nice if EP play him more up forward if the midfield isn't really his best position and it could give him more of an opportunity to get a spot for the Eagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 383199 are the wafl stats usually reliable? Not sure who to believe cause there's a bit of discrepancy between the two.

I think the WC people will be more accurate in that they will be playing close attention to the WC listed players than all the players out there. Also i don't think they will be wanting to pump up stats of player that need to be improving as it makes no sense.

I think the WC people will be more accurate in that they will be playing close attention to the WC listed players than all the players out there. Also i don't think they will be wanting to pump up stats of player that need to be improving as it makes no sense.

Matt Bas is in charge of compiling official Marsden stats

to be fair i'd say our selectors have shown that young players will get a look-in this year. karp, cole, duggan, jacko, mutt and mcinnes have all had a run due to injuries and form although few with an extended stay.

lamb, rioli and partington (and venables obviously) are the ones i'd like given a chance this year, just to see how they look at the top level.

No chance for Rioli this year sadly, given his fitness issues, and missing another chunk of weeks with a hammy, can't see him getting his fitness anywhere near good enough for AFL level.

Individuals :

Karpany- 11k 5hb 8m 3t 1.0 : one of the few EP players that was consistently clean with the ball and as Eastern Rangers mentioned in one of his posts may have been robbed of a couple of stats. Is good in traffic, uses the ball well but still needs to find more of the ball, missing stats notwithstanding

Partington- 13k, 4hb, 2m, 1t, 1.0 : his quietest game of the year and struggled to make an impact. Kicked a nice running goal late but the game was done

Wellingham- 6k, 7hb, 2m, 7t : was named as one of EP's best but can't say I share that opinion. Played in defence for three quarters before being moved into the midfield in the last quarter to give some drive. Shared the task of looking after the dangerous Liam Ryan with Butler keeping him goal less in the first half but conceded four second half goals as they struggled to contain him. Needed to provide more rebound and was too casual with his disposal at times for my liking. Got through the game unscathed which may be enough for a senior spot to replace Nelson

Lycett - 8k, 4hb, 3m, 1t, 10 hitouts : another plank in his return but he still looks a little underdone to me. Didn't impact the game significantly and had a very quiet third quarter before helping in the mini revival in the last quarter with a couple of string marks (thought he took more than the 3 he's been credited with) Needs more WAFL time before being considered for a senior callup

Redden - 15k, 11hb, 6m, 9t, 0.2 : EP's most consistent midfielder over three quarters. Contested strongly and used the ball well for the most part. Shapes as the likely replacement for Shuey if the MRP has a brain fade but lacks the same explosiveness. His best role for the Eagles is currently occupied by No.11

Mcinness- 7k, 5hb, 3m, 1t : suffered as the fourth musketeer. Didn't need him in the ruck, was one tall too many up forward and he doesn't have the skill set to be a KPD. The effort was there but couldn't find a way to influence the game in a meaningful way

Gorter - 9k, 0hb, 3m, 3t : Dour defender who didn't do a lot wrong but was out of his depth anchoring the defence as an undersized KPD. Not sure he has a future on an AFL list no matter how much I'd like to be wrong

Giles - 5k, 10hb, 6m, 0t and 35 hitouts: won the ruck contests, took some solid marks particularly in the second half and that's where it ends. Disposal was often poor, hitouts rarely to advantage, wasn't effective pushing back to help the defence and rarely was required to push forward. Just a meh game and as I've said elsewhere right now I'd rather we kept Petrie in 2018 than Giles

Mutimer- 6k, 3hb, 1m, 2t : the stats say it all really. Couldn't find the footy and was pretty anonymous. Did spend time across half back but didn't defend all that well when he did. A game he'd rather forget

Masten - 14k, 14hb, 1m, 1t : started brightly and had 12 of his possessions by quarter time which had a return to the seniors look likely. Won his own ball and used it well to help setup the royals great start. After quarter time his influence waned and he made some typical Masten errors. It'd be a mistake to promote him based on this game

Lamb - 4K, 6hb, 3m, 3t, 1.1 : Like his teammates looked on early and kicked EP's first goal after a strong mark 20m out from goal. Did take one other nice contested mark but was shut out if the game and couldn't get going even when given a run on the wing. Didn't drop his head and give up like I've seen him do previously so that's a small consolation from a game in which he didn't have a lasting impact

Rotham - 8k, 2hb, 2m, 2t : Had a mare. Was out muscled and out positioned in marking contests by stronger opponents as he was battling outside his weight division in an undersized defence. Couldn't find space to rebound from defence so all his disposals were rushed and most ended up as turnovers. Is probably due a spell in the reserves. Wasn't a good game from the youngster unfortunately

Butler - 8k, 2hb, 0m, 2hb : had his hands full with Ryan at times and gave him too much latitude. Looked slow and needed to provide more leadership down back than he did.

Hill - 8k. 4hb, 4m, 2t, 2.1 : Played as a high half forward and came off the back of the square at centre bounces regularly with mixed results. OK game but would have liked to see him get more of the ball and wasn't an effective crumber. Not a game that screamed reselection

Snadden- 7k, 6hb, 5m, 3t, 1.0 : my glasses must have an anti Snadden filter because I just can't seem to notice this guy in games. Really didn't have much influence imo but like I said I have trouble picking him up so others may think he was better
Great report. Im a bit worried Partington may drop his bundle if he doesnt get a game and it looks like that may be happening.

Great report. Im a bit worried Partington may drop his bundle if he doesnt get a game and it looks like that may be happening.

Because he had one quiet game against the competition's best team?

That's a leap.

One of the things I most like about Partington is that he seems to have a great attitude. From an interview on the Eagles site recently he knows what he has to work on

There's some players that may drop their head after being overlooked but I doubt Partington is one of them

I remember Alec Waterman having a rather crazy game at Colts level. I had him in the low 40's and they had him in the mid 30's for the game.

Wouldn't surprise me. AFL stats are poured over by multiple eyes, while WAFL doesn't have the money or resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember Alec Waterman having a rather crazy game at Colts level. I had him in the low 40's and they had him in the mid 30's for the game.

Wouldn't surprise me. AFL stats are poured over by multiple eyes, while WAFL doesn't have the money or resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They were advertising on seek and indeed about six months ago for statisticians no experience needed. I was thinking of applying for a laugh so who knows who is recording them.

One of the things I most like about Partington is that he seems to have a great attitude. From an interview on the Eagles site recently he knows what he has to work on

There's some players that may drop their head after being overlooked but I doubt Partington is one of them
That's great. I've got high hopes for him to be a class act.

Gorter might also fall into the latter category Barney44 ? The AFL watch says he struggled to contain Sokol but I thought he was opposed to Delahunty and Wheeler for most of the match.
He probably spent time on all of them.

The WAFL stats should only be used as a guide! Not an easy job to do when some or most of the players are not well known.

They were advertising on seek and indeed about six months ago for statisticians no experience needed. I was thinking of applying for a laugh so who knows who is recording them.

The money is not bad, particularly for someone who is a uni student or needs another part time job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back