Competitions WAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting how Parto might go with a better midfield around him. His size might not be a huge factor, but im not too impressed with his outside work as much.

He cant handball under pressure so not seeing much future for him.
Snadden who is on the chopping block looks to have gone past him.

He cant handball under pressure so not seeing much future for him.
Snadden who is on the chopping block looks to have gone past him.
needs to spend time with priddis and mitchell. Even Shueys hands under pressure is elite. He seems to know how to find it but a tad sloppy with it.

Very very hard on Snadden, Barney I thought that was one of his better games if not his best.
He was in East Perth's best 3 on the ground he was creative
What stood out for me was when everyone else was giving out dinky little crap handballs and turning
it over by hand.
He actually stood up, was clean and his handballs hit targets going forward none of that rubbish s**t.
Was surprised he spent so much time of ground in the third quarter though.

Partington I'am afraid he will be a bust, his hand balling is rubbish hopefully he will improve.
Lamb was good first time I think i said that in a long while especially like his jumping at the footy.
If he keeps that form up will pressure Darling for a spot.
Fvc.k that would be great, I just don't see Simmo and the match committee dropping Darling, no matter how bad he plays. Fck he was deplorable today.

Not a lot to excite on display today from East Perth apart from Lamb.

Whist McKenzie was s**t today Barrass was only serviceable but not his best game, still you would think it was enough to displace McKenzie for the game against St Kilda.

I have to say that none of Sheed, Duggan and Partington showed anywhere near what I was hoping for.

Cant believe how much Duggan has regressed as a player, very disappointing.

I think the issue is East Perth, not so much the players. Nobody really kills it for us down there, all the kids stagnate. When they get to AFL they actually look better than they do at East Perth.

I think the issue is East Perth, not so much the players. Nobody really kills it for us down there, all the kids stagnate. When they get to AFL they actually look better than they do at East Perth.
I wish we get our own reserves. That being said, we just don't develop midfielders as good as other clubs. At the end of the day good midfields make a side great. We need to ditch the boys club and get some good development coaches.

Mutimer looks to be coming on in leaps and bounds. Would love to see him use his pace a bit more though as he tested really well in that area at the draft combine but he really is bull-like on the inside and knows how to find the ball.

Partington imo is a lot like Lachie Neale in the way he accumulates around the contest but he won't usually punish you on the outside or in space and lacks the height to be a real presence. His numbers are quite good though.

Watson looks to be a ridiculously good pickup. He looks like a superstar at WAFL level and while he is prone to a few sloppy disposals, he really owns the backline and shows outstanding urgency whenever the ball is in his area. His turn of pace in any direction makes him dangerous to get into space and break the lines. May be putting the wings on soon....

yes agree..At this stage they are stagnating and can lose fpcus and direction ..Our younger mids need to be 2nd and 3 rd midfield options rather than the main driving forces in the middle and around the grounds

Not much to get excited about so i thought i'd work on a limerick to fill in the time:

There once was a footballer named Tom Gorter
Who didn't do as he oughtta
Young Tom had a fade of the brain
His opponent got off the chain
And our Tom? Well he just went to water.*

*Disclaimer: Tom, if you're reading this, just disregard. It's not a real critique of your game, just a bit if fun.

For those worrying about the high possession low impact games from some of our young guys just remember Redden (as an example). He was in the same boat as these guys for the past 2 weeks, high possession games and what seemed like hardly any impact at wafl level, put him in the 22 and he looked so much better today.

I guess the positives we can take from Partington and Mutimer is that they're high possession players early in their careers at WAFL level (unlike a few others we've had on the list in previous years) and they can hit the scoreboard. I'm not going to write either off yet. They're only second year players. Theirs enough development left in them yet, which will see them have a greater impact on a game. They've both clearly improved this season, they weren't averaging these numbers last year. I'd be good with either of those lads making their debut if they keep up these types of numbers. Can't say they're not AFL quality until we see them at that level.

I'm also thinking this handball game plan is to blame, it seems to be be affecting the games of the guys who are damaging by foot, look at some of our guys stats today

Partington 35 D 14 K 21 H
Mutimer 30 D 15 K 15 H
Karpany 27 D 7 K 20 H
Watson 26 D 16 K 10 H
Snadden 25 D 9 K 16 H
Duggan 24 D 8 K 16 H
Sheed 23 D 14 K 9 H
Lamb 23 D 11 K 12 H

Now not all of those guys game relies on their foot skills but Guys like Karpany and Duggan imo are having less influence on games due to not using their best weapon, their kicking. I'd much rather see those two lads using the ball by foot rather than by hand. Just on Duggan, he will build on his form and force his way in, in a few weeks or so, IMO. He's still quality, I just can't believe people are starting to write him off, he's only played what 3 games this year, one or two of which he was on limited minutes? He's had a few injuries to come back from and gain match fitness and confidence. He hasn't had a full pre season since his first in 2014/2015. Look through his videos on YouTube and reassess.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those worrying about the high possession low impact games from some of our young guys just remember Redden (as an example). He was in the same boat as these guys for the past 2 weeks, high possession games and what seemed like hardly any impact at wafl level, put him in the 22 and he looked so much better today.

I guess the positives we can take from Partington and Mutimer is that they're high possession players early in their careers at WAFL level (unlike a few others we've had on the list in previous years) and they can hit the scoreboard. I'm not going to write either off yet. They're only second year players. Theirs enough development left in them yet, which will see them have a greater impact on a game. They've both clearly improved this season, they weren't averaging these numbers last year. I'd be good with either of those lads making their debut if they keep up these types of numbers. Can't say they're not AFL quality until we see them at that level.

I'm also thinking this handball game plan is to blame, it seems to be be affecting the games of the guys who are damaging by foot, look at some of our guys stats today

Partington 35 D 14 K 21 H
Mutimer 30 D 15 K 15 H
Karpany 27 D 7 K 20 H
Watson 26 D 16 K 10 H
Snadden 25 D 9 K 16 H
Duggan 24 D 8 K 16 H
Sheed 23 D 14 K 9 H
Lamb 23 11 K 12 H

Now not all of those guys game relies on their foot skills but Guys like Karpany and Duggan imo are having less influence on games due to not using their best weapon, their kicking. I'd much rather see those two lads using the ball by foot rather than by hand. Just on Duggan, he will build on his form and force his way in, in a few weeks or so, IMO. He's still quality, I just can't believe people are starting to write him off, he's only played what 3 games this year, one or two of which he was on limited minutes? He's had a few injuries to come back from and gain match fitness and confidence. He hasn't had a full pre season since his first in 2014/2015. Look through his videos on YouTube and reassess.

Duggan is just coming off a lay off as well and has got bettwe withc each outing. People complain about duggan not finidng enough of the pill but he got 24 touches in both of his games. Impact may not as good as would like but he still kept on finding it. It will do his confidence a world of good. Like you said, he will keep on building till he starts getting those really high possession/high impact games.

what did everyone think of Fmac's game? I thought he was ok and offered a bit up the ground. mcinnis/vardy combo is a bit like petrie/vardy combo and probably does offer us some flexibility.

Does anyone know if Venables was on restricted minutes, or how much impact he had aside from the stat sheet?
I didn't go to the game but following the live stats it looked like he sat out the last quarter as he has the previous 2 games I did watch - those games he was on ground about 2/3 to 3/4 of the time so approx 60min ( reserves are 28min quarters with no time on)

I didn't go to the game but following the live stats it looked like he sat out the last quarter as he has the previous 2 games I did watch - those games he was on ground about 2/3 to 3/4 of the time so approx 60min ( reserves are 28min quarters with no time on)

From what you've seen of DV during his limited game time, what stands out to you as being his best qualities?

Watching a few of our young guys in the WAFL reminds me a bit of car racing. If you get up the front of the grid running with the top guys you keep your car straight and can put down solid lap after lap. If you're in the middle of the pack with the s**t trucks you are pretty well boned. Someone will crash into you, the conditions dont allow you to perform at your best.

Duggan has looked his best playing for West Coast. And this sentiment does not just ring true for him. He seems a smart and natural footballer who is adhering to team instructions rather than all the guys just chasing the ball down the line and not looking to open up the game. So what are these guys to do? Keep following instructions and plying their trade or ignore structures and try to get noticed?

Watson looked good again but nowhere near as good as Round 1. I hope they don't coach that desire to take it all on out of him, but he needs to mature and learn when to go.

Not sure which game it was at but I overheard some comments by Ian Miller (who's the clubs babysitter) - was very much along the lines of what you said dan, that it's hard for the players at this level because they go to places that their teammates don't look for/ can't get the ball there

Pretty sure it was in relation to Venables in the reserves which as you'd suspect, is worse than league level for that problem

From what I saw of the game it just looks so sloppy. Same as the week before. It doesn't look like anyone would excel in those conditions. I dont know if it's the gameplan or what

Not sure which game it was at but I overheard some comments by Ian Miller (who's the clubs babysitter) - was very much along the lines of what you said dan, that it's hard for the players at this level because they go to places that their teammates don't look for/ can't get the ball there

Pretty sure it was in relation to Venables in the reserves which as you'd suspect, is worse than league level for that problem

I kept a keen eye on Duggan in that preseason game at Shark Park and he was always over the fat side of the ground. It could easily be interpreted as not knowing where to run or not wanting to be involved but then watching an AFL game I heard the commentators talk about how doing what he was doing stretches the defense and opens things up. That only works when the defense is smart enough to cover for it, and moreso when the team is smart enough to find the players in space.

If ever there's a bloke you want to get the footy to in open space its Duggan, but these guys dont have the poise or vision to find him. Given he's probably in the top echelon of WAFL for kicking, its little wonder he'd be under instruction to hold his width and get the outlet possession, but I hope it doesnt come at the detriment of his contested game.

The coaches have a bit of work to do. That's evident with all the dinky handpasses but noone running the lines and opening things up. It looked more like that training drill where they all stand flat footed in a circle handballing to each other.

I guess all Par
I kept a keen eye on Duggan in that preseason game at Shark Park and he was always over the fat side of the ground. It could easily be interpreted as not knowing where to run or not wanting to be involved but then watching an AFL game I heard the commentators talk about how doing what he was doing stretches the defense and opens things up. That only works when the defense is smart enough to cover for it, and moreso when the team is smart enough to find the players in space.

If ever there's a bloke you want to get the footy to in open space its Duggan, but these guys dont have the poise or vision to find him. Given he's probably in the top echelon of WAFL for kicking, its little wonder he'd be under instruction to hold his width and get the outlet possession, but I hope it doesnt come at the detriment of his contested game.

The coaches have a bit of work to do. That's evident with all the dinky handpasses but noone running the lines and opening things up. It looked more like that training drill where they all stand flat footed in a circle handballing to each other.

It could be also be a communication thing? In the WC team you would have seniors players barking orders on where to setup and where they should be running too.

Duggan is a growing concern. His excuses are all plausible but his development has the hallmarks of spiralling into nothingness. Really, really hoping he proves me wrong with some form and fitness under his belt.

Pinning my hopes on Mutimer developing into something. He is a powerful lad and we are going to need some horsepower around the ball as Pridda tapers off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back