Competitions WAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

when they can hit targets like Jetta did today.He was still way more effective.Had to laugh eagless guy gives a horrible handpass to another eagles guy who kicks it to another one and misses the target fortunately with no perth player in sight and finally gives it to Jetta who hits a target.nuff said

He had like 4 excellent touches. But he did no chasing, no tackling and he didn't get off the rope going the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetta with zero tackles at this point in time - no surprise there.
That is not his go, and never has been. He's an outside player with speed, and that is his bag - the coaches and other players just need to know how to use him. Think Jetta's problem is that he gets frustrated because they don't, and consequently he drops his bundle unfortunately!

Lynchy used to have a rubber chest as well until somebody taught him how to mark with his hands out in front! Maybe Darling has the same problem, and that is up a o the coaches to rectify if they are doing their job properly?

I remember hearing that the issue with Lynch was that he would close his eyes as the ball made contact with his hands/chest and that would cause him to misjudge it, somehow. Maybe he was closing them too soon or some s**t.

Anyway, I don't think Darling is actually that bad. He's more down on confidence, I think.

That is not his go, and never has been. He's an outside player with speed, and that is his bag - the coaches and other players just need to know how to use him. Think Jetta's problem is that he gets frustrated because they don't, and consequently he drops his bundle unfortunately!

If that's the excuse he has than leave him in WAFL ..

Lewis Jets Jetta .........Been played out of position circa 2012 !!!!!!!!!!!

Poor bugger........
What position was that . If that was the case you would play him in that position . Playing up the ground shouldnt matter . You have to play a variety of positions . Yeo for example is playing better off half back . If Jetta was any good you would put him on his preferred line or position and keep him there .

Absolute horse s**t. Its every single players job to chase tackle harass and put on pressure. Its an 18 man team on the ground at any one time. Everyone needs to be working together as a weak link will bring you undone. As an outside player with pace his role includes getting back as quick as possible and putting on defensive pressure causing a turnover and then bolting back the other way. Opposition should be fearing where he is as he could chase them down if he had the desire but instead they know theres only 17 guys they need to worry about.

Cant even do it two weeks in a row at wafl with a career on the line.

It time to face facts with the reality that Jetta is not going to make it, he has all the ability but lacks the hunger and desire .

All this BS about him not being used correctly or being coached incorrectly is a furphy .... he need to take control of his own destiny and show some SUSTAINED effort and application, because thus far its been to infrequent and missing way to often.

We rolled the:gamedie::gamedie::gamedie: and came up short. Sometimes s**t happens.

I put my hand up and say I was for the trade and I don't blame the powers to be for making the decision , as it was IMO the correct decision at the time, but in hindsight it just hasn't worked out as we all would have liked.

This next month is crucial to Jetta's future as the Club need to determine if they bid him farewell at seasons end and pay him out, take the hit and count our losses, or do we keep him for depth for the last of the third year of his contract.

Me I tend to lean toward cutting him loose at seasons end, pay him out and free up a spot on the list.

Because nearing the half way mark of his contract all I see us achieving by having on the list is best illustrated by this image.

images-2.jpg

I would love him to prove me wrong..... I really would , but alas I don't see any indication what so ever of it happening.

Absolute horse s**t. Its every single players job to chase tackle harass and put on pressure. Its an 18 man team on the ground at any one time. Everyone needs to be working together as a weak link will bring you undone. As an outside player with pace his role includes getting back as quick as possible and putting on defensive pressure causing a turnover and then bolting back the other way. Opposition should be fearing where he is as he could chase them down if he had the desire but instead they know theres only 17 guys they need to worry about.

Cant even do it two weeks in a row at wafl with a career on the line.
In a perfect world of course you are right, but tell me then when have you seen Jetta play like you have suggested? How does Hill Jnr play for Freo - does he tackle etc.

That earlier comment about Jetta being a speedy outside player and that tackling is not his go is piss weak. Guys like Charlie Cameron and Rioli play his role and love laying hard tackles and also going into contests. I would love Charlie Cameron on the opposite wing to gaff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a perfect world of course you are right, but tell me then when have you seen Jetta play like you have suggested? How does Hill Jnr play for Freo - does he tackle etc.
Dont like or wouldnt want that front running squib either. He does however at least bust his gut running forward

pEDtgvy.png

O5kt6sw.png

So east Perth finally killed Owen and won their first game in 2016, albeit against Perth who are the competition laughing stock, by 20 points - 17.13:115 to 14.11:95

After a daunting start where the demons kicked the first 2 goals things looked ominous. From there on EP took control and apart from a purple patch late in the second quarter when Perth kicked 3 goals in 5 minutes they held sway. The margin flattered Perth after they kicked the last 3 goals of the match when a 6+ goal win looked likely

The Good

After averaging less than 60ppg EP finally had a functioning forward line that actually looked dangerous and had some semblance of a structure
Whilst there's a lot of room for improvement still skills and ball movement were better. Generally more direct with a purpose to most possessions and a willingness to run forward

The Bad

I don't know what the count was but Perth dominated the centre clearances even though the EP rucks held sway
Too many soft goals were conceded although 6 were scored in the last quarter when some of the heat had gone out of the game

The Players

Partington- 11k 20hb 3m 1t 1.1 - got better the longer the game went. Struggled for impact in the first half tbh but his willingness to run and present was pleasing and he had more influence in the second half. Solid game

Mcinness- 12k 12hb 13m 1t 3.0 - one of the best games I've seen him play, perhaps the best. Arguably BOG he provided a solid marking target up forward and up onto the wings. Competed well in the ruck and used the ball well. Outstanding game and hopefully sets a new standard for him that he can build on

Gorter- 8k 4hb 4m 0t - not a great game. Did some nice things at times but still had his usual quota of brain farts, one of which was a costly turnover in midfield during the second quarter that kickstarted a mini revival by Perth just when it appeared EP were going to blow the game open. I'm his player sponsor but it's hard to see why we drafted him

Mutimer- 20k 8hb 2m 9t 1.1 - EP's most effective midfielder. Worked hard at the coal face so a lot of his kicks were slam it on the boot to clear the types but you can see a possible future for him as a strong inside mid. Lacks vision but is willing to get dirty, tackles hard and whilst not super kick does have decent pace. Liked his game and he can't be far from a senior chance if a spot opens up

Lamb- 12k 5hb 7m 2t 1.3 - solid game that could have been very good had he kicked straight and held onto all his marks. His intent was good from the outset and along with Mcinness provided a good target up forward. The sort of game he needs to turn out more regularly as a minimum

Cole- 7k 8hb 2m 0t - started slowly but provided a good rebound option and defended quite well. Liked his run and willingness to take the game on. Nice first up game

Mackenzie- 11k 8hb 8m 1t - really liked his game. Marked confidently and destroyed the ball really well if he couldn't mark. Didn't lose many 1 on 1's, if any, and was rarely beaten on the lead. Disposal was good as well. Exactly the game you want from an experienced defender and one that will keep pressure on Barrass and Schoey. Super pleasing effort

Rotham- 8k 5hb 8m 1t - liking his development. Still needs to learn how to defend better and is a bit undersized (weight wise) but likes to create and provide run. Ball use is solid. Won't play AFL this year but will eventually be a solid player - would like to see EP give him a run on the wing when Watson returns

Venables- 10k 4hb 3m 3t - one day he's going to tear a game apart but for now he just needs the confidence he belongs at this level. Seems a tad hesitant at times like he's waiting for permission to go get the ball. Has great vision and a couple of his field kicks were outstanding. My main criticism is he sometimes looks like he's not going flat out and is holding something back - almost like the handbrake is still on the Ferrari. Hopefully I'm there the day it's released

Jetta- 10k 9hb 2m 0t 1.0 - on face value his stats look reasonable and to be fair his disposals were generally very good. Kicked one goal and should have had two had he not laid one off that he should've kicked himself. That said, his game was really disappointing. Didn't apply himself anywhere near as much as he should and never got out of second gear. Seemed content to jog along and wait for a cheap possession to come his way. Rarely, if at all, ran hard to position to provide an option, didn't chase or provide any defensive pressure, and was allergic to anything approaching a hard ball get - just refused to put his body on the line. The perfect example of why he needs to put a solid bank of games together before getting an Eagles game. Just looked like he wasn't trying

Hutchings- 18k 10hb 6m 3t 2.0 - if only Jetta applied himself like this guy does. His skill set is limited and some of his disposal was substandard but no one could ever question his effort. Worked hard, got on the scoreboard, made some mistakes but turned in the type of game you'd expect from a fringe AFL player.

Overall, it was an encouraging but not great effort against a below average WAFL side so any excitement should be tempered. The late fade out was disappointing but somewhat understandable given one of the EP players (Wilson) left the game early (although I don't know why) meaning they were down a rotation for almost a full game

On a final note I'm not sure I've seen a less effective 50+ disposal game from a player, in part because I've not seen a 50 possession game before. Fair play to jones and whilst I'll admit I don't watch opposition players very closely I simply didn't notice jones during the game at all

Eastern Rangers I'd be interested in your thoughts since you were also at the game and I respect your opinion

So east Perth finally killed Owen and won their first game in 2016, albeit against Perth who are the competition laughing stock, by 20 points - 17.13:115 to 14.11:95

After a daunting start where the demons kicked the first 2 goals things looked ominous. From there on EP took control and apart from a purple patch late in the second quarter when Perth kicked 3 goals in 5 minutes they held sway. The margin flattered Perth after they kicked the last 3 goals of the match when a 6+ goal win looked likely

The Good

After averaging less than 60ppg EP finally had a functioning forward line that actually looked dangerous and had some semblance of a structure
Whilst there's a lot of room for improvement still skills and ball movement were better. Generally more direct with a purpose to most possessions and a willingness to run forward

The Bad

I don't know what the count was but Perth dominated the centre clearances even though the EP rucks held sway
Too many soft goals were conceded although 6 were scored in the last quarter when some of the heat had gone out of the game

The Players

Partington- 11k 20hb 3m 1t 1.1 - got better the longer the game went. Struggled for impact in the first half tbh but his willingness to run and present was pleasing and he had more influence in the second half. Solid game

Mcinness- 12k 12hb 13m 1t 3.0 - one of the best games I've seen him play, perhaps the best. Arguably BOG he provided a solid marking target up forward and up onto the wings. Competed well in the ruck and used the ball well. Outstanding game and hopefully sets a new standard for him that he can build on

Gorter- 8k 4hb 4m 0t - not a great game. Did some nice things at times but still had his usual quota of brain farts, one of which was a costly turnover in midfield during the second quarter that kickstarted a mini revival by Perth just when it appeared EP were going to blow the game open. I'm his player sponsor but it's hard to see why we drafted him

Mutimer- 20k 8hb 2m 9t 1.1 - EP's most effective midfielder. Worked hard at the coal face so a lot of his kicks were slam it on the boot to clear the types but you can see a possible future for him as a strong inside mid. Lacks vision but is willing to get dirty, tackles hard and whilst not super kick does have decent pace. Liked his game and he can't be far from a senior chance if a spot opens up

Lamb- 12k 5hb 7m 2t 1.3 - solid game that could have been very good had he kicked straight and held onto all his marks. His intent was good from the outset and along with Mcinness provided a good target up forward. The sort of game he needs to turn out more regularly as a minimum

Cole- 7k 8hb 2m 0t - started slowly but provided a good rebound option and defended quite well. Liked his run and willingness to take the game on. Nice first up game

Mackenzie- 11k 8hb 8m 1t - really liked his game. Marked confidently and destroyed the ball really well if he couldn't mark. Didn't lose many 1 on 1's, if any, and was rarely beaten on the lead. Disposal was good as well. Exactly the game you want from an experienced defender and one that will keep pressure on Barrass and Schoey. Super pleasing effort

Rotham- 8k 5hb 8m 1t - liking his development. Still needs to learn how to defend better and is a bit undersized (weight wise) but likes to create and provide run. Ball use is solid. Won't play AFL this year but will eventually be a solid player - would like to see EP give him a run on the wing when Watson returns

Venables- 10k 4hb 3m 3t - one day he's going to tear a game apart but for now he just needs the confidence he belongs at this level. Seems a tad hesitant at times like he's waiting for permission to go get the ball. Has great vision and a couple of his field kicks were outstanding. My main criticism is he sometimes looks like he's not going flat out and is holding something back - almost like the handbrake is still on the Ferrari. Hopefully I'm there the day it's released

Jetta- 10k 9hb 2m 0t 1.0 - on face value his stats look reasonable and to be fair his disposals were generally very good. Kicked one goal and should have had two had he not laid one off that he should've kicked himself. That said, his game was really disappointing. Didn't apply himself anywhere near as much as he should and never got out of second gear. Seemed content to jog along and wait for a cheap possession to come his way. Rarely, if at all, ran hard to position to provide an option, didn't chase or provide any defensive pressure, and was allergic to anything approaching a hard ball get - just refused to put his body on the line. The perfect example of why he needs to put a solid bank of games together before getting an Eagles game. Just looked like he wasn't trying

Hutchings- 18k 10hb 6m 3t 2.0 - if only Jetta applied himself like this guy does. His skill set is limited and some of his disposal was substandard but no one could ever question his effort. Worked hard, got on the scoreboard, made some mistakes but turned in the type of game you'd expect from a fringe AFL player.

Overall, it was an encouraging but not great effort against a below average WAFL side so any excitement should be tempered. The late fade out was disappointing but somewhat understandable given one of the EP players (Wilson) left the game early (although I don't know why) meaning they were down a rotation for almost a full game

On a final note I'm not sure I've seen a less effective 50+ disposal game from a player, in part because I've not seen a 50 possession game before. Fair play to jones and whilst I'll admit I don't watch opposition players very closely I simply didn't notice jones during the game at all

Eastern Rangers I'd be interested in your thoughts since you were also at the game and I respect your opinion

If Simmo does really have one eye on the future, then Kurt Mutimer will make his debut against Fremantle.

Good to see Parto having an impact in the second tho.

If Simmo does really have one eye on the future, then Kurt Mutimer will make his debut against Fremantle.

Good to see Parto having an impact in the second tho.
No he doesn't- who would he replace (assuming no one has a stinker tomorrow)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back