2nds Eagles in the WAFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm thinking he is gonna be completely overawed. You can't just put a kid in the side on the back of one good game. You need to assess a larger sample size, three games minimum. Would rather give ah Chee a go as he is a senior body and would be a better replacement for hutchings.

Sorry thats crap venables got a game with hardly any great form and Petruccelle was excellent in the preseason.

Look at hawthorn over there glory years Clarkson always debuted new players even in gf winning seasons and a lot of it
of poor vfl form but he wanted the youth in the side and it worked.

Give Petra a simple role and he will excel if he kicks a goal its a bonus

Sorry thats crap venables got a game with hardly any great form and Petruccelle was excellent in the preseason.

Look at hawthorn over there glory years Clarkson always debuted new players even in gf winning seasons and a lot of it

Venables had demonstrated 200% more that Petro (who I like). Petro has exciting in the practice games but lacked poise, skill and football IQ.

More encouraging signs from Brander. Like him.
Petracelle hit the post with his point after a 4 or 5 bounce run down grandstand wing. Looked good but need to wait for him to polish his game.
Ainsworth steady

Perth still Perthing up the WAFL.

It continues...

Rnd 1 - Subiaco 29.14 (188) v East Perth 10.10 (70) - 118 Points
Rnd 2 - South Fremantle 9.8 (62) v Subiaco 18.12 (120) - 58 Points
Rnd 3 - Subiaco 21.14 (140) Swan Districts 6.8 (44) - 96 Points
Rnd 4 - Subiaco 20.15 (135) Claremont 7.7 (49) - 86 Points

Average winning margin of 89.5 points over four rounds and a percentage of 259.11

A pretty simple fomular going on here. Subiaco haven't produced a lot of AFL grade players over the last decade, they've managed to hold onto most of their best internal talents (Deluca, Waters, Clark, Miller) to assist their own mature players and recruited brilliantly a plethora of good footballers. Litherland (Claremont), Powell (Claremont/ WC), Newton (South Freo/ Port Adelaide), Lockyer (West Perth/ Sydney), Menegola (East Freo), Sokol (South Freo), Clarke (Peel/ Freo), Delahunty (Frankston).
They also target unliked reserves players at other clubs when they see untapped potential.

Most professional team outside the AFL. Schofield works his players hard but they buy in because they know it brings success. No other WAFL club would do 3 quarters of the training and rehab that Subiaco does. At the club the night before the game finishing off preparations, at the club 6am the day after the game getting ready for the next game.

You see the benefits of this program in the last 15-20 minutes of every game. They just out run everyone, fitter and stronger.

Problem with it is it burns out the players mind and body. Some handle it but most are short term. Schofield knows AFL players are too soft for his system so he has hung around longer than most thought. Gut feeling he's off to Adelaide next year though so his son can start working with Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking he is gonna be completely overawed. You can't just put a kid in the side on the back of one good game. You need to assess a larger sample size, three games minimum. Would rather give ah Chee a go as he is a senior body and would be a better replacement for hutchings.
I have to disagree with you. He's full of confidence having kicked 4, we're on top of the ladder and we're desperate for pace in the forward half. This is the time to introduce players to our setup. Pet will debut one hundred percent.

More encouraging signs from Brander. Like him.
Petracelle hit the post with his point after a 4 or 5 bounce run down grandstand wing. Looked good but need to wait for him to polish his game.
Ainsworth steady

Perth still Perthing up the WAFL.
And that is it in a nutshell.Perth are awful and Petracelle must string some games together not just one.The reason both Rioli and ryan have been able to transition seamlessly into afl is that they have had a good apprenticeship in sanfl or wafl.At the moment on form both Mcinnes and Brander deserve a afl game but nobody deserves to be dropped for them.

You are comparing a second year player with a harder body to a skinny first year player that uses pure athleticism and nothing else to beat his opponents. You are also comparing a former first round draftee to an end of second round draftee. It is as plain as daylight to see that venebles would have more of an impact at AFL level in his first and second year then pet would ever have in his.

I am all for the optimism but I think a little common sense is needed here. It's good to be excited about our draftees but I think after a couple more games we can truly gauge whether pet should get a senior game or not.

Feedback from my mate who was doing commentary work on the game (loosely translated from messenger)...he’s a one eyed Dockers fan too...

Petrucelle - terrific, fast, holy s**t. Just blew by Corey Byrne as if he wasn’t there. Lightning quick half forward with skills to match. Classy finisher as well as a good user around the ground.

Brander - Brander a great target at the top of 50, but works well in contests up the ground as well. Again, good finisher. He’s great man a really good pick up.

O. Allen - Tbh Oscar Allen didn’t show a great deal, distributed the ball well when he had it. Played half back, no injuries.

Bayok - very (overly) handball happy. Did some good things but floated in and out of it

M. Allen - Allen provides a good leading target, clean below his knees

Rotham - was solid in defence, nullified Spencer White

England - England found the footy a lot but tended to blast away

Hard game to judge them by, played demonstrably the worst team in the WAFL and basically stopped to a complete halt in the last quarter. Gave up 6.4 in the last quarter (should’ve been 7.4 because the Corey Yeo kick on the siren definitely left his boot before he siren went)

Listening to Simmo speak in the presser of the lack of speed with DV & Ryan going out suggests this was a very good week for Petrucelle to kick 4 goals. His pace could be useful next week. For those that watched the game, how was he like defensively?

Got no issue with him coming in- if only to show him what the next level looks like & what he needs to work on. I don’t see what we have to lose?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back