Wafl Aligned Club

Remove this Banner Ad

ONE EYE

Senior List
Mar 3, 2001
PERTH,WA,AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
The mighty East Perth Royals is our WAFL aligned Club.

I regularly listen to the radio station 6PR. Brad Hardie is constantly on about the fact that the Eagles and Dockers squad members should be spread around the League.

To me this would be severely detrimental to the developement of WA's 2 AFL Clubs. Already this week the WAFL Football Commission has come out and said that WA Football could not afford for both Clubs to be down the bottem to long. It would send them broke.

To my mind one of those little things that help bind together the Club and assist in settling in the young eastern states draftees is having them play at the same WAFL Club. I know in Victoria the same practice is maintained. Similarly in Brisbane. I dont know about Adelaide and Sydney.

Many of the contributors to this forum are pretty young and do not remember the glory days of the WAFL. It is long dead believe me. It is just a quaint suburban competition. It has its place in developing future AFL players but that is it. Certainly, they need to rationalise the competition and increase the salary cap to keep experienced players from going to the Country leagues. This should be through increased AFL funding through the TV rights.
(Money better spent than raising the Salary Cap at the AFL Clubs)

Last week I went to the local Derby. Apart from a bunch of Juniors and their parents there was hardly anyone there. So these people who live in the past pushing the WAFL are in dreamland. We need to use the system the best way we can to improve the viabilty of our AFL Clubs. Both in performance and Financially.

Sure East Perth and South Freo are doing ok at the moment. But other clubs like Claremont, West Perth and East Freo have done Ok in the last few years as well under the same arrangement.

So if push comes to shove and they discontinue the alighned Club arrangement then the Eagles should field a team in the VFL as do all the other Victorian Clubs. It would be costly but then again may prove more beneficial in the long term. Certainly not an ideal arrangement.

This arrangement is again be reviewed at the end of this year. I just hope the selfish WAFL Clubs (The same ones who are looking to kick out Peel Thunder) dont shoot themselves in the foot.

GO EAGLES

Did anyone else find it 'surprising' to say the least that Judge decided to go to the Freo Derby on Monday, rather that the Perth Derby involving a heap of our younger kids? Sure he has assistants and scouts to let him know how they played, but surely actually being there would be more beneficial for the players, KJ and the Eagles? :confused:

btw, I do realise he's a Freo boy from way back, but that's now in the past, and he is first and foremost the Eagles senior coach.... I was a bit annoyed by his decision....

Good comments One EYE, the Dockers-South freo link does not seem to get as much focus as the eagles Royals link. When in fact if you look at who south have available from the dockers it adds up to nearly a whole team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back