gytre

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
C'mont/L'pool/Packers/Inter/Canucks
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/8138807/wafl-backs-state-leagues-knockout-comp/

RUSSELL REID,
The West Australian
October 15, 2010

The WAFL has thrown its support behind a new national competition which would pit Australia's best State league clubs against each other in front of a national television audience.

The Leagues Championship Cup, which has the support of the AFL, the conditional support of the VFL and the financial backing of Fox Sports, could start as early as next April.

The knockout competition would include 16 teams - all finalists in the previous season - from the WAFL, VFL, SANFL, Tasmania, New South Wales, Queensland and the ACT.
I reckon this will be awesome. It will give our WAFL teams national exposure and help lift the profile. Another really positive thing is that those morons at Foxtel will be forced to stop calling Aussie Rules football "AFL" - because all the teams will be made up from different competitions to the AFL. :)

Good idea, and great to see foxtel get behind it. Problem is when will it be run? Will it be a pre-season thing or a post season thing?

I would love to see a mock fixture...

It would be a pretty engaging process you would think, getting a workable fixture. I would love to see it though it would be good to see the difference between a WAFL/SANFL/VFL teams.

Did Collingwood get into the top 4 of the VFL last year? Imagine if they played Swan Districts

They've played before.

Collingwood wore this...

Collingwood-PS-1982.gif

If nothing else, the WA teams could probably wear their NAIDOC week jumpers.

On topic - Brilliant initiative if it gets off the ground

I would love to see a mock fixture...

It would be a pretty engaging process you would think, getting a workable fixture. I would love to see it though it would be good to see the difference between a WAFL/SANFL/VFL teams.

Four teams from each is it?

Would like to see the WAFL have top four, SANFL have top four, VFL have four, NT-AFL top team, QAFL top team, NSW-AFL top team, TSL top team.

That makes 16 teams. Assuming all competitions all want to participate, is this the structure which will occur?

Four teams from each is it?

Would like to see the WAFL have top four, SANFL have top four, VFL have four, NT-AFL top team, QAFL top team, NSW-AFL top team, TSL top team.

That makes 16 teams. Assuming all competitions all want to participate, is this the structure which will occur?

NSW doesn't have a single league.
They have a Canberra league and a Sydney league.
The teams in the Sydney league would get flogged by North Fremantle.
Even the Swans don't want to play their reserves there.

I would have 5 teams for the WAFL, SANFL and VFL and have the premiers of the QAFL, TSL, Canberra AFL and Sydney AFL fight off for 16th spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NSW doesn't have a single league.
They have a Canberra league and a Sydney league.
The teams in the Sydney league would get flogged by North Fremantle.
Even the Swans don't want to play their reserves there.

I would have 5 teams for the WAFL, SANFL and VFL and have the premiers of the QAFL, TSL, Canberra AFL and Sydney AFL fight off for 16th spot.
Yeah good idea.

Even though it is out of their season I still feel NT-AFL should be considered. A lot of talent up that way, and the fact they are left out of everything, NBL, A-league, domestic cricket, ect doesn't sit right with me. Sure they are in a different tropical environment but so are North Queensland and they partake in the NBL and A-league.

Add NT-AFL to that knockout round. The two top teams from ACT-AFL and NSW-AFL fight it out before hand who represents that area. Shouldn't have both sides if NT-AFL comes into play with this knockout theroy.

Yeah good idea.

Even though it is out of their season I still feel NT-AFL should be considered. A lot of talent up that way, and the fact they are left out of everything, NBL, A-league, domestic cricket, ect doesn't sit right with me. Sure they are in a different tropical environment but so are North Queensland and they partake in the NBL and A-league.

Add NT-AFL to that knockout round. The two top teams from ACT-AFL and NSW-AFL fight it out before hand who represents that area. Shouldn't have both sides if NT-AFL comes into play with this knockout theroy.

An NT rep side plays in the AFLQ and they're middle of the road. An NT club side would get smashed by 30 goals. Mind you, a Sydney league side would as well, but it wouldn't be a good look to preclude NSW.

I think there is some element of simply creating a national cup and not necessarily trying to get the best 16 state league clubs. But they wouldn't want too many beltings every year.

Take the Grand Finalists from Vic, SA, WA, the Qld Premier, and have the top NSW/ACT team play V Tas for the 8th spot.
16 teams too hard logistically.

They've played before.

Collingwood wore this...

Collingwood-PS-1982.gif

If nothing else, the WA teams could probably wear their NAIDOC week jumpers.

On topic - Brilliant initiative if it gets off the ground

And Swan Districts won that game too. Unfortunately Toddy in a fit of pique (justifiabley) sent over Swans ressies to face Richmond, who royally spanked em. Unfortunately that gave the Vics a rather dim view of WA football since then.
Toddy was angry because the then VFL wouldn't shift location/fixturing of games so it wouldn't affect the Swans season, an important season in which they would be right there in the finals if not favourites.
As to this proposal, I'd love to see it happen. I'd absolutely love to see a national second tier comp and see it getting decent media coverage. I'd love to see the WAFL clubs get more recognised and exposure on the national stage.

If a national league was set up along these lines I'd happily not watch AFL again.

$100,000 prize urged for State comp

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/8256030/100-000-prize-urged-for-state-comp/

DALE MILLER,
The West Australian
November 4, 2010

The WAFL has asked for a $100,000 winner's prize purse to be part of an inaugural knockout competition between top State league sides if the concept gets the green light.

The AFL will hold a teleconference tomorrow in which league officials from each competing State, including WA, will be presented with a final model for the proposed Leagues Championship Cup.

Eight teams are expected to be part of the initial tournament, to start in April next year, with two each from WA, Victoria and South Australia, one from Tasmania and a composite side taken from New South Wales, Queensland, Northern Territory and the ACT.

The format has the backing of Fox Sports, which would broadcast the games to a national television audience. Matches would be scheduled before AFL games.

Full article above.

Good news folks. It looks like it's happening. Although I did read in yesterday's paper that the SANFL clubs didn't want to participate. :confused:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/8530927/interstate-series-gets-afl-go-ahead/

ROSS LEWIS,
ONLINE SPORTS EDITOR,
The West Australian
December 17, 2010

The AFL will proceed with the creation of a state-league based knockout competition from 2011 onwards, which will showcase the quality of the game across the country.

AFL general manager of national development David Matthews said the AFL was intending to develop a new competition which would invite 16 teams from the various state leagues across the country to play in a knockout competition.

Swan Districts, Claremont and East Perth are expected to be the WAFL's representatives in the series...

It's awesome that it's going to happen, but I'm disappointed in the SANFL teams. It's be interesting to know why they have opted out.

It's awesome that it's going to happen, but I'm disappointed in the SANFL teams. It's be interesting to know why they have opted out.

Exactly how I feel pablo. I'm excited that it's happening now though!;):thumbsu:

Many reasons, but sponsors the biggest one for sure.

I'd LOVE to see my beloved Central District take on other clubs from other state leagues and have a crack at winning the title but at the same time I'd also much rather they put 100% focus on winning a 10th flag in 12 years if they are good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back