WAFL changes on the back of the Peel flag

Remove this Banner Ad

• Banned
You are joking?

From 17 to 15 big fu*k'n deal.

Weak as water decision made by an equally weak commission.

Sides will still load up especially when there AFL team is out of finals contention mid season.

There is still a certain number of games a player needs at WAFL level, that should be raised

There is still a certain number of games a player needs at WAFL level, that should be raised

Yeah i think its gone from 5 to 7 still not good enough.

A traditional WAFL team just cant compete with a team of 15 AFL players plus East Perth and Peel have there own recruits which is another 2 or 3 players i think eg Peel had at least 2 recruits as in Ugle and Bootsma in there Premiership team along with the 17 Afl players they had.
Impossible!

Like i said once an AFL team knows its out of finals contention watch them load up there alignment team.

Peel Thunder will be in a position to unleash another super team in the WAFL finals in search of successive premierships in a scenario that rival clubs have branded as “disgraceful”.

The reigning premiers are on the brink of having seven Fremantle-listed players with at least 50 games of AFL experience, including Danyle Pearce, Garrick Ibbotson, Zac Dawson and Nick Suban, qualified for this year’s WAFL finals.

And the Dockers are also planning to make sure gun midfielder Harley Bennell can play for Peel in September after qualifying the 24-year-old for one of the necessary five games by naming in the Thunder’s reserves squad last Saturday.

Peel will also be able to roll out a host of Fremantle’s best youngsters including Sean Darcy, Brennan Cox, Luke Ryan, Griffin Logue and Harley Balic in a scenario that mirrors the hugely talented team that last year charged to a maiden flag.

The WAFL had the chance to plug the "loopholes", but did b.... all. The presidents of the clubs had the chance to force change, well all season we have heard crickets, until now.

To get change, you must fight for it and give a massive push to get the job done. As stated above, the presidents have sat on their hands.

Teams play to the rules as set down, if the WAFL doesn't have the gonads to adjust those rules, it is not the "advantaged" teams fault.

The WAFL executive is asleep at the wheel.

Personally I don't think the alignment is totally fair come finals time - from the perspective of the non-listed players that work all year to plug gaps only to be relegated by the AFL listed player come finals time.

So we have the test again this year, does the champion team in Subi beat the (paraphrasing) team of champions in Peel this year ?
Can anyone shed some light on factors within Souths or Subi that might hamper their attempts at a flag ( injuries, suspensions etc) I'm only a casual WAFL follower but given no other footy to follow I'm keen to see what Peel do

The host club is crap, never liked it when Freo were aligned with Souths many years ago, and still don't like it now regardless of yesterday's result. I get that the WAFL is not like it was and never will be, but both Eagles and Freo should be a stand alone club, for those saying they would be stronger, the top team in the VFL is Williamstown, not a stand alone club. You could create some rules to stop them from being super teams.

My thoughts, i'm sure other conditions could be added.

1. Could not recruit any ex AFL or WAFL players
2. Can only recruit players under 22 to top up their teams. Would give more youngsters a crack at the next level.
3. No home ground, would assist other WAFL teams with bigger crowds making more money at the gate.
4. To play finals you would have had to play more WAFL than AFL games to qualify, which should be the current rule anyway.

Current system is a serious blight on the competition.

The WAFC also need to put a stop to Subiaco's poaching and raiding of other WAFL Clubs players.
They don't develop their juniors and rely on pick pocketing other Clubs and Other competitions players
They some how manage ( cough, cough ) "with in the salary cap " to be able to get most of the former AFL players that return to WA.

Something needs to be done to help Perth as they are a total ******* basket case and in their current form are a dead weight on the WAFL.

From a personal perspective I can't stand the bye ... an odd number of teams just sucks.

My thoughts, i'm sure other conditions could be added.

1. Could not recruit any ex AFL or WAFL players
2. Can only recruit players under 22 to top up their teams. Would give more youngsters a crack at the next level.
3. No home ground, would assist other WAFL teams with bigger crowds making more money at the gate.
4. To play finals you would have had to play more WAFL than AFL games to qualify, which should be the current rule anyway.

Magnum27 I like your suggestions. :thumbsu:

Minimum of 10 WAFL games to qualify for finals... that is atleast half a season of WAFL footy...also scrap this stupid rule of a player being listed to play and not even having to suit up...they have to suit up and sit on the bench all game if they arent going to play ala Bennell and Balic...also a player can only have WAFL games credited to them as an AFL emergency twice tops....

It's Subis last chance coz they have lost their income from AFL tix.
WAFL Premiers since 2003

2003 West Perth (Runner up Subiaco)
2004 Subiaco
2005 South Freo
2006 Subiaco
2007 Subiaco
2008 Subiaco
2009 South Freo (Runner up Subiaco)
2010 Swans
2011 Claremont (Runner up Subiaco)
2012 Claremont
2013 West Perth
2014 Subiaco
2015 Subiaco
2016 Peel (Runner up Subiaco)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And if peel is so strong why are east perth so shite ??
Hardly shite in this Alignment Mk II they have played in 2 GF's (2013, 14) 2 other Finals series (2015, 16) and just missed this years Finals in the last game of the year.....and dont get me started on how they went in Alignment Mk I.

WAFL Premiers since 2003

2003 West Perth (Runner up Subiaco)
2004 Subiaco
2005 South Freo
2006 Subiaco
2007 Subiaco
2008 Subiaco
2009 South Freo (Runner up Subiaco)
2010 Swans
2011 Claremont (Runner up Subiaco)
2012 Claremont
2013 West Perth
2014 Subiaco
2015 Subiaco
2016 Peel (Runner up Subiaco)
You omitted the East Perth threepeat
2000-2002
On the back of West Coast players
They were nicknamed the East Perth Eagles after all

$ubi lose income from subi. oval only to make $150,000 from the draft/rookie. oobi doobi God loves $ubi.
That figure would depend on whether there was a deal in place between $U, WP (Baker) & EF (Ryan) if drafted before they moved clubs as neither of those players are from $ubiaco's zone.

Sounds a bit like our issues in the SANFL but atleast you guys are trying to do something about it. Personally I think the 2 AFL sides should be excluded from finals and just let the proper clubs play finals.

Current system is a serious blight on the competition.

The WAFC also need to put a stop to Subiaco's poaching and raiding of other WAFL Clubs players.
They don't develop their juniors and rely on pick pocketing other Clubs and Other competitions players
They some how manage ( cough, cough ) "with in the salary cap " to be able to get most of the former AFL players that return to WA.

Something needs to be done to help Perth as they are a total ******* basket case and in their current form are a dead weight on the WAFL.

From a personal perspective I can't stand the bye ... an odd number of teams just sucks.

Magnum27 I like your suggestions. :thumbsu:
How can any league enforce a salary cap when two teams are allowed to be more than 50 times over the cap?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back