WAFL Grounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I might as well start a thread to accomodate the topic of WAFL grounds. The tenants and approximate capacities are also listed.

Claremont Oval
Tenants: Claremont Tigers
Capacity: 10,000
Opened: 1905

East Fremantle Oval
Tenants: East Fremantle Sharks
Capacity: 20,000
Opened: 1906 (Expansion in 1953)

Leederville Oval (Medibank Stadium)
Tenants: East Perth Royals & Subiaco Lions
Capacity: 18,000
Opened: 1915 (Expansion in 1958, 2003)

Rushton Park (Bendigo Bank Stadium)
Tenants: Peel Thunder
Opened: 1960s (Expansion in 2009-2011)

Lathlain Park (Brownes Stadium)
Tenants: Perth Demons
Opened: 1959

Fremantle Oval
Tenants: South Fremantle Bulldogs & Fremantle Dockers (Training base/HQ)
Capacity: 17,500
Opened: 1897

Bassendean Oval (Steel Blue Oval)
Tenants: Swan Districts Swans
Capacity: 22,000
Opened:

Arena Joondalup
Tenants: West Perth Falcons
Capacity: 16,000
Opened: 1994

A discussion on old grounds (ala Perth Oval) can take place in here as well.

What WAFL grounds have you been to? What are your favourites? What is the absolute worst? What changes would you like to see made? Do you have any fond, or terrible, memories?

Does anyone remember the Glory's proposal to be based out of Leederville Oval? Two formal applications were put in, in 1999 and 2001, and both rejected. But it was seemingly due to a pretty unsurprising footy v soccer/anglo v wog dispute.

Apparently, in 1999, a vote split the petition at 14,000 either side. The Perth Glory sent out players to march through Leedy and try and rally up votes and to show that, well, there won't be punch-ups and violence spilling out into the houses and cafes – well, no more than what Thursday nights there offer... or is it Wednesdays now?

In 2001, the council even set up a hotline to dob in soccer thugs. So they were talking the possibility of a Glorified Leedy Oval relatively seriously.

Do people think this would've turned out better? Would a Perth Oval hosting the Royals and Subi somehow be more beneficial than East Perth playing out of their rival's old ground? Would the Glory benefit from the atmosphere and vibrancy of Leederville on game day, a bit like a walk 'round Subi when Freo (or the Eagles) play?

Very curious about these near misses and almost happenings in stadium development.

I might as well start a thread to accomodate the topic of WAFL grounds. The tenants and approximate capacities are also listed.

Claremont Oval
Tenants: Claremont Tigers
Opened: 1905

East Fremantle Oval
Tenants: East Fremantle Sharks
Opened: 1906 (Expansion in 1953)

Leederville Oval (Medibank Stadium)
Tenants: East Perth Royals & Subiaco Lions
Capacity: 18,000
Opened: 1915 (Expansion in 1958, 2003)

Rushton Park (Bendigo Bank Stadium)
Tenants: Peel Thunder
Opened: 1960s (Expansion in 2009-2011)

Lathlain Park (Brownes Stadium)
Tenants: Perth Demons
Opened: 1959

Fremantle Oval
Tenants: South Fremantle Bulldogs & Fremantle Dockers (Training base/HQ)
Capacity: 17,500
Opened: 1897

Bassendean Oval (Steel Blue Oval)
Tenants: Swan Districts Swans
Capacity: 22,000
Opened:

Arena Joondalup
Tenants: West Perth Falcons
Capacity: 16,000
Opened: 1994

A discussion on old grounds (ala Perth Oval) can take place in here as well.

What WAFL grounds have you been to? What are your favourites? What is the absolute worst? What changes would you like to see made? Do you have any fond, or terrible, memories?

Good topic SA ..I have both attended all of those WAFL grounds & played on all bar Arena Joondalup & Bendigo Bank Stadium.
I have also attended WAFL games at Perth Oval, Anniversary Park (Rockingham), Gosnells Oval (Gosnells), John Dunn Oval (Kelmscott), Kingsway Reserve (Madeley), Claremont Showgrounds, Hands Oval (Bunbury), Sir Richard Moore Oval (Kalgoorlie), Sir Stewart Bovell Park (Busselton) & a couple of other country venues that have held WAFL games.
Claremont Oval is currently undergoing a reconstruction with new clubrooms, grandstand etc & there are also plans for Bassendean Oval & East Fremantle Oval as well but that would depend on government/council approval & funding.

Claremont Oval is currently undergoing a reconstruction with new clubrooms, grandstand etc & there are also plans for Bassendean Oval & East Fremantle Oval as well but that would depend on government/council approval & funding.

Fremantle Oval, really? You'd think the Bullies would be rapt to have that place full time in a few years. I mean, you're essentially inheriting AFL facilities (as sub-par and ten-years-outdated as they are). It's a great little ground, but I'm interested to see what they're planning on doing.

What's the status with East Fremantle Oval? Will Old Easts end up sharing with the Bulldogs?

I escaped WA more than 20 years ago, so have been to all but Joondalup and Peel.

Was a member of the Cardies at home in Leederville. Used to b great for the derbies against EP. Went to my first league game there when I as about 5.

Viewed WAFL games at Perth and Subie Ovals.

Played against CBC Highgate at Perth Oval, with the stinking cricket pitches in the rain.

From memory EFO was always a strange place, never really seemed like a proper league ground. Didn't it have a bunch of tin sheds for shelter?

From memory EFO was always a strange place, never really seemed like a proper league ground. Didn't it have a bunch of tin sheds for shelter?

East_Fremantle_Oval_%E2%80%93_stands_(cropped_%E2%80%93_1).jpg

It still does!

I think Smeagle told me that East Fremantle are leaving at the end of this year. Probably to Freo Oval.

I hope Old Easts' don't leave EFO. It's one of the best WAFL grounds IMO and my sister is adamant that it's capable of hosting AFL matches.

Back when we were handed our licence it would have been a brilliant venue for the Dockers to play at, with a bit of renovation work and the old Richmond Raceway site converted for parking among other things would have made for a very good AFL venue. Would be a shame if they did leave I've always enjoyed going there each season. Perhaps they could get some arrangement like Claremont and stay there but redevelop the area that is basically unused..

East_Fremantle_Oval_%E2%80%93_stands_(cropped_%E2%80%93_1).jpg

It still does!

I think Smeagle told me that East Fremantle are leaving at the end of this year. Probably to Freo Oval.

Hope they don't leave either, i like the ground, have not been there for a WAFL game but my daughter was playing womens footy a couple of years back and we visited all the WAFL grounds in that season.

Was at the Arena for West Perth V East Freo on sunday, West Perth were 1 point in front at half time, only to be smashed by 70 points.... East Freo looked very strong.

BTW multicultural day at Joondie and we got a crowd of over 6k, sort of hard to distinguish the poms, but there were a couple of hundred africans (mainly kids) who no doubt will be playing in West Perth jumpers in the coming years.

Pretty much a success i thought. (besides the game ):D

Sold out of Guinness just after 1/4 time :thumbsdown:

Back when we were handed our licence it would have been a brilliant venue for the Dockers to play at, with a bit of renovation work and the old Richmond Raceway site converted for parking among other things would have made for a very good AFL venue. Would be a shame if they did leave I've always enjoyed going there each season. Perhaps they could get some arrangement like Claremont and stay there but redevelop the area that is basically unused..

I reckon Fremantle Oval, but I am Souths-biased. If you altered the orientation so the old grandstand was right up against the boundary, you'd have so much space for an outer grandstand that could seat 20-odd thousand – something bigger than the Legends Stand at Optus Oval. Open up Fothergill and you have plenty of room for foot traffic, so not everyone goes through the current gates and entrances.

The Freo end might be a bit small, but you could've done a Skoda/Metricon and kept it open. Then there's still plenty of space for admin. carparks, and spaces for people to walk around.

Would've been short-sighted as either ground could've only held 28,000ish, but it's a cool thought.

My pop always thought Freo Oval should've hosted one Freo game per season. They don't even play pre-seasons there, now.

I reckon Fremantle Oval, but I am Souths-biased. If you altered the orientation so the old grandstand was right up against the boundary, you'd have so much space for an outer grandstand that could seat 20-odd thousand – something bigger than the Legends Stand at Optus Oval. Open up Fothergill and you have plenty of room for foot traffic, so not everyone goes through the current gates and entrances.

The Freo end might be a bit small, but you could've done a Skoda/Metricon and kept it open. Then there's still plenty of space for admin. carparks, and spaces for people to walk around.

Would've been short-sighted as either ground could've only held 28,000ish, but it's a cool thought.

My pop always thought Freo Oval should've hosted one Freo game per season. They don't even play pre-seasons there, now.

It held a pre-season derby a couple years ago, didn't it? I'm fairly sure of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having played on Fremantle Oval a few times the surface can get boggy in the middle of winter especially the goal squares!

It held a pre-season derby a couple years ago, didn't it? I'm fairly sure of it.

I reckon that might've been the last. I do know we played Geelong too, have a feeling it was 2008 after they'd won the flag. If the pre-season cup's scrapped next year, hopefully Freo play someone at Fremantle Oval. The crowds were always, rightfully, really good.

This video's pretty interesting. Freo's first 'competitive' game. Ansett Cup at EFO. You can see how much space there still was, and is, for plenty of terracing and seating. Really could've chucked a second tier on one end and one flank as well. It would've never happened, though.

I reckon that might've been the last. I do know we played Geelong too, have a feeling it was 2008 after they'd won the flag. If the pre-season cup's scrapped next year, hopefully Freo play someone at Fremantle Oval. The crowds were always, rightfully, really good.

This video's pretty interesting. Freo's first 'competitive' game. Ansett Cup at EFO. You can see how much space there still was, and is, for plenty of terracing and seating. Really could've chucked a second tier on one end and one flank as well. It would've never happened, though.

Come on fellas you have to be joking about East Fremantle Oval surely?
It is the worst Oval in the WAFL bar none (especially now that Claremont Oval is being redeveloped/upgraded) & is also the only Oval in the League that is not serviced by a train line & station! :rolleyes:

It is the worst Oval in the WAFL bar none (especially now that Claremont Oval is being redeveloped/upgraded) & is also the only Oval in the League that is not serviced by a train line & station! :rolleyes:

we used to go there by horse and cart, then put the neddy in the trots at Richmond Raceway to get our beer money back. :p

I agree and its also a terrible ground to play on.

East and South need to be co-tenants of Freo oval and sell off East Freo oval to developers.

The council own the oval. I'd have thought the only way they'll develop the oval is if the ground is kept.

And considering that there's no chance any more parkland will open up in East Freo, they'll never let it go. The same thing happened to Vic Park and is happening to Glenferrie. They opened those grounds up a bit and also cleaned up the stands. So you can host plenty of footy as well as the upper-middle walking dogs and teaching their kids to drop punt.

Which is a good thing. As dilapidated as it is, maintaining footy grounds is never a negative.

The residents of East Fremantle are fighting plans to redevelop the oval. I believe they are happy with some changes and not others.

From the Council website.

"The Town of East Fremantle is investigating options for the redevelopment and enhancement of the East Fremantle Oval Recreation Precinct - an area bounded by Marmion, Allen, Fletcher and Moss Streets in East Fremantle.
The site is recognised as an extremely valuable community asset. However, it is also clear that the current condition of the East Fremantle Football Club buildings is untenable.
As such, Council - in collaboration with technical experts and the local community - is looking at how we can improve the quality and capacity of this site for the local community and future generations.
Site analysis is underway as part of these early planning stages for the project. A Community Reference Group has also been established to help guide any future development of the site.
East Fremantle Oval Recreation Precinct Community Reference Group
A Community Reference Group has been established to provide input and feedback to Council relating to the East Fremantle Oval Recreation Precinct. These matters include potential land uses, concept planning, funding, local amenity, site development, design and construction, and more.
The Community Reference Group will facilitate an exchange of information between local residents, community groups, local stakeholders and the Town of East Fremantle to deliver a sustainable future for the site.
East Fremantle residents (and others in the local area) are encouraged to provide ideas and feedback to the members of the Community Reference Group for discussion at future meetings."

I am not sure that it is clear from the council release, but there is some cynicism from residents, as some of the councillors may have vested interest as developers and it is causing some consternation.

I have watched WAFL at every one of those grounds except Rushton Park, but I did my Auskick coach training course there.

The residents of East Fremantle are fighting plans to redevelop the oval. I believe they are happy with some changes and not others.
What state is Fremantle in? Conservatism? Yuppy-ism? My family have basically always lived in South Fremantle but I grew up down south, it seems they're pretty much echoing the gentrified Optus Oval crowd. They like being able to walk their dogs in their Nike caps, but hate the possibility of construction noises or crowds.

It's screaming out and would look so good with a Vic Park like change. And that's the makeover that will benefit absolutely everyone who has an opinion, access, or care about the Oval. The biggest hope is that the plans go through by the 2016 season. The current council just can't afford it, but the new Fremantle council hopefully will.

This report is one of the most pointless things I've seen. It admits that every single stand is rusting, rotting, collapsing, or "cancerous." But then there are sections harping on about how they're in "reasonable" condition.

It says 50% of people use the oval at least once a month. And half of that number use it weekly. But then 35% never venture to EFO.

Most people want, in this order: a leisure centre, a swimming pool, playgrounds, BBQ areas, parkland and open space, and gym equipment (like the outdoor gyms dotted all around Princes Park). The footy crowd massively want a ground that isn't falling to pieces and completely outdated. Moss street seemingly needs to be torn down as well.

People also want to park. And from my days in Perth, I think there's a bus that goes right past the outer but that's about it. When you consider 80% of respondents drive to games, not having enough spots is pretty stupid. I mean, how many people would go to East Freo games? Maybe 1,000?

The other weird thing is how much East Freo residents actually hate Fremantle. People preferred moving to some high school over rather than the convenience, history, and atmosphere of Fremantle Oval. And only 4 residents in the survey support an AFL club (the Dockers).

All of this can be catered for. Vic Park cost $11 million. You don't have three big stands that need paint, seats, roofing, signage, and concourses to makeover. The big cost will be tearing down those sheds that sit high up on the ends and wings, but Vic Park had to contend with something that took up way more space.

Install barbecues, have a concrete walking path around the entire oval, do up the various centres, tear down all the 'spectator facilities' and do up the Sharks changerooms (which is used by East Fremantle FC, Auskick, women's footy, Country Week...) and clubrooms. Add some actually respectable terracing and seating under the trees. That's it.

I know 2 people that live on Allen St that have attended meetings regarding the development at EFO. They are thoroughly reasonable people and not the NIMBY, conservatives that you are stereotyping in your post. I will be catching up with them at some point in the next week and ask what their concerns are.

1 of them is a Victorian and his wife grew up in Spearwood and has been a Fremantle member since day 1. She was an original cheer squad member.

People also want to park. And from my days in Perth, I think there's a bus that goes right past the outer but that's about it. When you consider 80% of respondents drive to games, not having enough spots is pretty stupid. I mean, how many people would go to East Freo games? Maybe 1,000?

There really isn't room for more parking and people don't need further encouragement to drive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back