WAFL Grounds

Remove this Banner Ad

I am reliably informed that Trinity Football teams train there, and possibly state underage teams.

Trinity College, possibly with Aquinas and Hale are the strongest football schools in WA.

A drop punt from Trinity to the WACA would barely cover the legal distance

snap_c1.jpg

So who plays footy at the WACA thesedays?

There is talk of WAFL footy returning to Channel 7 as a curtain raiser to West Coast/Fremantle games.
Wouldn't be surprised if those matches were at the WACA

There is talk of WAFL footy returning to Channel 7 as a curtain raiser to West Coast/Fremantle games.
Wouldn't be surprised if those matches were at the WACA

Doesn't make sense - surely a curtain raiser would have to be at the same venue as the main event??

i.e, Subi. Otherwise it would a huge exercise in duplication of resources to cover two events at different locations.

Doesn't make sense - surely a curtain raiser would have to be at the same venue as the main event??

i.e, Subi. Otherwise it would a huge exercise in duplication of resources to cover two events at different locations.

It's a curtain raise for television. So channel 7 would show the match just before they show the West Coast or Fremantle match.
They're doing the same thing in SA this year but obviously with the SANFL

East Freo oval is a hole. Horrible ground to watch footy at. I'm betting they can't wait till they are able move over to Freo oval.

West Perths home ground at Arena Joondalup, transferred from Suburban grounds thread.

Outside main entrance.

JrwShjq.jpg

Les Fong Gates

AV481ny.jpg

Looking up towards main entrance ( social club)

hyh2rqo.jpg

nWtkEr6.jpg

Southern End

nR588VG.jpg

FbelByT.jpg

Northern end

HIhtgan.jpg

Main grandstand

eLD85h5.jpg

Tom James Stand

OUfxdBJ.jpg

neFzWbv.jpg

Social club Foyer

SqM2nX5.jpg

Ma8tAC7.jpg

A couple of things, to the left of the ground photos is a road, which you can't see because of grown trees now, but when West Perth first moved up North from Leederville many people used to stop and park there car to watch the footy without paying, used to bring eskys and all.

A crowd of about 10/12k was there earlier this year for the Eagles Dockers game, it was absolutely chockers.

A West Perth V East Perth game can draw up to 8k

They are supposed to be building a new administration building on the southern side of the grandstand where the Les Fong gate currently is. It was mentioned in last years season opening football budget . Have no idea if its still going ahead.

They are supposed to be building a new administration building on the southern side of the grandstand where the Les Fong gate currently is. It was mentioned in last years season opening football budget . Have no idea if its still going ahead.

AFAIK it is still going ahead, and it will enable the club to make some decent money hopefully, ATM if you buy a beer there, of which i usually buy a few :), the money goes to venues west.

Not a member this year, but have been a member in past years and i do remember getting a email with plans for academy, offices, function center etc, will try to find it, but it sounds good for the club, which i might add do a very good job promoting the game and their brand up north.

It's a curtain raise for television. So channel 7 would show the match just before they show the West Coast or Fremantle match.
They're doing the same thing in SA this year but obviously with the SANFL
Channel 7 are doing this for some matches with SANFL/AFL double-up. E.G. this weekend, they did Eagles v Adelaide, played half an hour earlier than normal league game, then went straight into a half-hour delay of Port-St Kilda.
Other times they're doing a game in a timeslot they don't have AFL, eg Round 1 they did Thursday night Norwood v Port.
Just wish, like with their AFL, they'd broadcast in HD!

It hosted an NRL game in about '99 too, which would seem staggering but then you remember the joints the NRL plays at in 2014. I don't mind Lathlain though, it reminds me a bit of Moorabbin. Nice and shady too, a bit like Fremantle Oval.

Can you just walk out onto the WAFL grounds during the week? That's pretty cool if you can, most VFL grounds are locked up tight during the week so you can't take good pictures. It's always easy to pick out a WAFL ground as they all seem to have a similar "outer" so to speak with large grass banks and the advertising boards on stilts.

I like how good the condition of the playing surfaces are. Most in the VFL at this time of year have turned to spongy slush.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you just walk out onto the WAFL grounds during the week? That's pretty cool if you can, most VFL grounds are locked up tight during the week so you can't take good pictures. It's always easy to pick out a WAFL ground as they all seem to have a similar "outer" so to speak with large grass banks and the advertising boards on stilts.

I like how good the condition of the playing surfaces are. Most in the VFL at this time of year have turned to spongy slush.

Dunno about other grounds but you can't at Freo Oval since that is the Dockers home base. You can enter the ground though since it is a public car park.

Sure can, i took those photos yesterday arvo when i was doing some work at a suburb near there.

There was people there, but they pay you no notice, or are friendly and say goodaye, most people are eager to have a chat and tell you some interesting facts and figures if you engage them in a convo.

Even at South Freo oval, albeit some months ago i was out having lunch at Freo ( no camera unfotunately) and i wondered in and had a look at the ground, hope to get back there soon and continue my WAFL ground round up.

Have always wondered at South Freo why the stand is so far from the ground, i wonder if a cycling track was ever there.

Used to chat to a old South Freo fan at one of my regular jobs who had many interesting stories about prisoners watching the footy from the jail at Soth Freo Oval.

I have done Leederville and Claremont some months ago, all photos were on my phone at the time and it has been a huge hassle uploading/downloading them due to the quality of my phone.

Perth Oval in Lathlain, about 5 minutes walk from Victoria Park train station, Perth have been playing at Lathlain since 1959, prior to that Perth played at the WACA since its inception in 1899.

Not a bad ground, always suprised by the huge car park when i drive past it, i actually like Steel blue, South and East Freo Ovals better.

Huge roof on main grandstand.

I think it's worth pointing out to the interstaters here that this is where West Coast are moving their training facilities.

I've always known it as Lathlain Park though. Perth Oval is where the glory and Force play and where East Perth used to.

It hosted an NRL game in about '99 too, which would seem staggering but then you remember the joints the NRL plays at in 2014. I don't mind Lathlain though, it reminds me a bit of Moorabbin. Nice and shady too, a bit like Fremantle Oval.

I am a bit $10 each way about it, the ground is OK, but i found the suburb and terrain flat and boring around it, really working class area, but unlike Bassendean or East Freo ( parts of it) the houses don't see to have as much character around the area.

There is a couple of nice old pubs in Vic Park though, the Broken Hill Hotel and the Vic Park Hotel, got some pics and will add them to the pubs section when i get a chance they have plenty of history with local footy going back to the late 1890's.

I think it's worth pointing out to the interstaters here that this is where West Coast are moving their training facilities.

I've always known it as Lathlain Park though. Perth Oval is where the glory and Force play and where East Perth used to.

You are correct, i might be confusing people here.

I meant to say Perths FC ( as in Perth's Oval) home ground, but said Perth Oval.

It always struck me how Lathlain, Perth and Leederville ovals had basically indentical Grand Stands.

Lathlain is the only ground I've never watched a WAFL match at.

It always struck me how Lathlain, Perth and Leederville ovals had basically indentical Grand Stands.

Lathlain is the only ground I've never watched a WAFL match at.

Not only the grandstands, but the layout and feel of the grounds was fairly similar as well.

All 3 used to be within the old City of Perth boundaries which would explain it.

When you see them all aligned like that, the grandstands up at Leederville, Lathlain, and Perth Oval are all the same – which is kind of cool in a way. Speaking of which, looking forward to NIB Stadium – beautiful facade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back