Remove this Banner Ad

slickmick

Rookie
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
claremont,woodville-west torrens
I've started this thread to get a list of books written about the wafl and its players over the years.

WAFL history
Club histories
Autobiographies
Biographies etc

Thanks

There's a few out there.

The state library has a decent selection on the third floor (I think), including official club histories going back a long way.

I don't have too many myself, but these are some I remember...

Polly Farmer: A Biography (Steve Hawke)
John Todd: Six Decades in Footy (Brian Dawson)
The Tigers' tale: the origins and history of the Claremont Football Club (Kevin Casey)
Back to the place, Back to the time (Dennis Cometti)

Also have a big chunk of the WA Football Registers, which were published from 1962 to 1990 (excluding 1973).

Thanks

I've been a claremont supporter since mid to late 90s

But now would love to learn more about a its past players history and stats

My football life - Jack Sheedy
Westperth 1885 to 1985 - Brian Atkinson
South Fremantle Story vol 1 and 2

many many more.. . . . . .

This is what I have in my collection:
The Charlie Mitchell Football Book
My Football Life (Jack Sheedy)
The South Fremantle Story Volumes 1 & 2
West Australian Football History 1885-1970
Polly Farmer-A Biography
Back To The Place (Dennis Cometti)
John Todd (Brian Dawson)
75 Years of Black and White
West Perth Football Club 1885-1985
The South Story (about South Bunbury)
From Redlegs To Demons
The Tigers Tale
The Footballers (1985 & 87 editions)
1898-1997 (EF History book)
Mal Brown and Mongrels I Have Met
Diehards Volumes 1 & 2 (Subiaco FC)
It's A Grand Old Flag
The Sandover Medal Men
The Royals
Behind The Play
Complete Football Register Collection
Jubilee Book of the East Fremantle FC 1898-1947
Old Easts
East Femantle FC: Celebrating 100 Years of Tradition
Southerners Forever More
The Mighty Maggies of Gilbert Fraser Reserve 1895-2006
It's A Grand Old Flag - West Perth Football Club 1885-2007
The Green Machine - An Anecdotal History of the University Football Club
A Way of Life - The Story of Country Football in Western Australia

Last edited:
This is what I have in my collection:
The Charlie Mitchell Football Book
My Football Life (Jack Sheedy)
The South Fremantle Story Volumes 1 & 2
West Australian Football History 1885-1970
Polly Farmer
Back To The Place (Dennis Cometti)
John Todd (Brian Dawson)
75 Years of Black and White
West Perth Football Club 1885-1985
The South Story (about South Bunbury)
From Redlegs To Demons
The Tigers Tale
The Footballers (1985 & 87 editions)
1898-1997 (EF History book)
Mal Brown and Mongrels I Have Met
Diehards Volumes 1 & 2 (Subiaco FC)
It's A Grand Old Flag
The Sandover Medal Men
The Royals
Behind The Play
Complete Football Register Collection
I have read some of those, and when they are good, these books can be exceptional reading (though when they are bad they are awful). I have liked the West Perth, East Fremantle, Subiaco and Claremont histories (and that of SANFL clubs Sturt and Glenelg) and they are extremely useful for a writer on Wikipedia as well as for general reading. However, the histories of Perth and East Perth I have read were positively awful, giving few details or descriptions. As one example, neither notes that amazing match (on my vote for the most amazing football day nationwide before the AFL) where East Perth were goalless in complete darkness with three minutes to go. As the lowest score by an eventual premier club since a goal became six points and a behind one, it ought to be part of Australian rules history books, though even Full Points Footy never mentioned it.

The two I would be keen to find when finances might allow are 75 Years of Black and White and West Australian Football History 1885-1970. I have never seen such books as these on eBay (abebooks is a better bet) but would want to know what I am buying with the former. Details on things like Swans’ near-winless seasons in 1968 and 2002, their rise and fall in the 1960s, and their early and more recent history are something I would want to know.

I've started this thread to get a list of books written about the wafl and its players over the years.

WAFL history
Club histories
Autobiographies
Biographies etc

Thanks
does anyone know where the '' garry cullen memorial shield '' might be. it was introduced by the west perth junior league in 1960. it was for my brother, garry, who tragically died aged 15 from a football accident. notable players that won it were ken spencer and john nykyforak.

does anyone know where the '' garry cullen memorial shield '' might be. it was introduced by the west perth junior league in 1960. it was for my brother, garry, who tragically died aged 15 from a football accident. notable players that won it were ken spencer and john nykyforak.

Not sure PYSU but it would seem another one from the past the Greg Brehaut Memorial game played between Perth & East Perth has been another casualty over the last decade or so! :(

I have read some of those, and when they are good, these books can be exceptional reading (though when they are bad they are awful). I have liked the West Perth, East Fremantle, Subiaco and Claremont histories (and that of SANFL clubs Sturt and Glenelg) and they are extremely useful for a writer on Wikipedia as well as for general reading. However, the histories of Perth and East Perth I have read were positively awful, giving few details or descriptions. As one example, neither notes that amazing match (on my vote for the most amazing football day nationwide before the AFL) where East Perth were goalless in complete darkness with three minutes to go. As the lowest score by an eventual premier club since a goal became six points and a behind one, it ought to be part of Australian rules history books, though even Full Points Footy never mentioned it.

The two I would be keen to find when finances might allow are 75 Years of Black and White and West Australian Football History 1885-1970. I have never seen such books as these on eBay (abebooks is a better bet) but would want to know what I am buying with the former. Details on things like Swans’ near-winless seasons in 1968 and 2002, their rise and fall in the 1960s, and their early and more recent history are something I would want to know.

If you contact Swan Districts they have plenty of copies of the 75 Years of Black and White available. If you are still looking for WA Football History 1885-1971 I scanne a copy of the book years ago. There is a shadow on the right pages, but the scan is still readable.

If you contact Swan Districts they have plenty of copies of the 75 Years of Black and White available. If you are still looking for WA Football History 1885-1971 I scanne a copy of the book years ago. There is a shadow on the right pages, but the scan is still readable.
I did get 75 Years of Black and White in an odd way – finding it on abebooks and actually gaining a special appointment to visit the shop in the Mornington Peninsula. What’s more remarkable is that a tram strike meant I was very lucky to get the train out to Frankston – after which I had to catch a bus to Somerville to buy it along with the 1985 West Perth history that I had already read.

With hindsight, the Perth and East Perth histories are, I must say and should have said earlier, much better than I though on first library read!

Last edited:
Great topic, slickmick.
I'm very glad you've upgraded your opinion of the East Perth history book, The Royals - 100 Years of Football Tradition, mianfei.
I might be slightly biased, but I think it's a fantastic book (and I'm not one of the authors - Alan East, may he rest in peace, Bill Forrest and Gary Stocks).
There are a few other magazine-style East Perth books that might appeal to those interested in the club's history.
Matthew Glossop wrote The Royals 1906-1976, while Scott Coghlan, Alan East, Stuart McLea and Gary Stocks produced The Mighty Royals, 2000 : A Celebration of Two Premierships.
East Perth has also been pretty active with its Hall of Fame, with commemorative booklets produced for the six inductions so far (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017).
Given this year is the centenary of East Perth's first premiership (sadly, there won't be a league flag this year), I was honoured to write 1919 The Royal Domination Begins.
The plan is to release a small book for each of the seven Royals premierships (191-23, 26-27) coached by the great Phil Matson and then merge them into the one book.
I'm very impressed with your vast library, brad5668, while Sean Cowan at WAFL Collectables has pretty much all local footy literature covered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a few out there.

The state library has a decent selection on the third floor (I think), including official club histories going back a long way.

I don't have too many myself, but these are some I remember...

Polly Farmer: A Biography (Steve Hawke)
John Todd: Six Decades in Footy (Brian Dawson)
The Tigers' tale: the origins and history of the Claremont Football Club (Kevin Casey)
Back to the place, Back to the time (Dennis Cometti)

Also have a big chunk of the WA Football Registers, which were published from 1962 to 1990 (excluding 1973).
Used to love reading the Football Register every year. A good resource

"Behind the Play" by Anthony Barker and published by the WAFC is excellent. Covers the years 1868 - 2003 and is an exhaustive record but always interesting read.

Easily the best book on football I have read and the one book I would never consider lending.

ISBN 0-9752427-0-9 if anybody is interested and if it is still in print.

"Behind the Play" by Anthony Barker and published by the WAFC is excellent. Covers the years 1868 - 2003 and is an exhaustive record but always interesting read.

Easily the best book on football I have read and the one book I would never consider lending.

ISBN 0-9752427-0-9 if anybody is interested and if it is still in print.

"Behind the Play" is certainly a great read, LeakyValve, and if I take my East Perth hat off, is the best WA footy book I've read (though not all of it yet).
However, my favourite all-time footy book (putting aside my Fitzroy bias) is another coffee table-sized publication, "100 Years of Australian Football", that was released in 1996.

"Behind the Play" is certainly a great read, LeakyValve, and if I take my East Perth hat off, is the best WA footy book I've read (though not all of it yet).
However, my favourite all-time footy book (putting aside my Fitzroy bias) is another coffee table-sized publication, "100 Years of Australian Football", that was released in 1996.
"100 Years" is a beauty from a VFL/AFL perspective. It is fun to open it up every few months or so and dip into a random year or two. I find myself exclaiming "That's right. I'd forgotten all about that". The football scandals and characters of yore are always a hoot to learn about or reacquaint yourself with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back