Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
We need a review into WA Footy to ensure it’s sustainability for 2021 and into lthe future.

Like the international economy, reforming our game should know no bounds. Like many, I believe 18 players is too many on the field and a cull is very achievable. Abolishing one or two half-flankers will reduce two to four players. This will also allow the argument for reduction in club (across all tiers) list sizes, at least in the short-term.

Most state leagues are in a fairly dire position. The WAFL is no exception to this rule. The WAFL’s evolution and purpose has changed since it commenced in 1885 - over 130 years ago. The league has gone from being highly competitive and one of the sport’s premier competitions to being effectively a reserves competition to West Coast and Fremantle. That mere fact will never change.

Given the league’s purpose has changed and the need to cut costs, there is no alternative but to abolish the WAFL reserves. When there was no national competition and WAFL was a premier league, the reserves were necessary. It’s purpose, in my view, upon the birth of the Eagles in a national competition, then changed. The game needs the WAFL colts and the league, but the reserves appears to be an unnecessary burden to WAFL clubs’ bottom line. WAFL clubs, like their AFL counterparts, could reduce their list sizes greatly, and it would go a long way to reducing match-day expenses. Those players would then filter back to the Perth Football League (and country footy), bolstering community footy.

Early days but we “can’t waste a crisis” and this is a seemingly obvious reform in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Zurgblade

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
We need a review into WA Footy to ensure it’s sustainability for 2021 and into lthe future.

Like the international economy, reforming our game should know no bounds. Like many, I believe 18 players is too many on the field and a cull is very achievable. Abolishing one or two half-flankers will reduce two to four players. This will also allow the argument for reduction in club (across all tiers) list sizes, at least in the short-term.

Most state leagues are in a fairly dire position. The WAFL is no exception to this rule. The WAFL’s evolution and purpose has changed since it commenced in 1885 - over 130 years ago. The league has gone from being highly competitive and one of the sport’s premier competitions to being effectively a reserves competition to West Coast and Fremantle. That mere fact will never change.

Given the league’s purpose has changed and the need to cut costs, there is no alternative but to abolish the WAFL reserves. When there was no national competition and WAFL was a premier league, the reserves were necessary. It’s purpose, in my view, upon the birth of the Eagles in a national competition, then changed. The game needs the WAFL colts and the league, but the reserves appears to be an unnecessary burden to WAFL clubs’ bottom line. WAFL clubs, like their AFL counterparts, could reduce their list sizes greatly, and it would go a long way to reducing match-day expenses. Those players would then filter back to the Perth Football League (and country footy), bolstering community footy.

Early days but we “can’t waste a crisis” and this is a seemingly obvious reform in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not the solution but rather something which could be easily fixed and become a future cash cow for the league.....

WAFL clubs need to have a greater presence at grass roots footy. Spend more time at the junior club land showing their presence, organizing training for youth, creating junior development sides (besides the 14's, 15's and futures), even hosting the weekend club BBQ. There are masses of players and parents which could be a great feeding ground for clubs all with the common interest of the love of footy.

Unless there is already an existing family link, WAFL clubs will either never see most of these parents / players through there systems or at their games. The local community spirit is completely lost by the lack of WAFL clubs embracing these values and really driving this home. If only the clubs could engage earlier, build stronger relationships and give more hope to the kids at an earlier age, they might still keep their interest in years to come.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
WA Sport Minister Mick Murray is expected to grill the West Australian Football Commission at a planned meeting next week over a salary disgrace that has outraged the West Australian Football League and country clubs.

A salary list, leaked in an email, it was revealed WAFC pays at least $9 million to its 134 staff with 23 employees getting at least $100,000.

As revealed by The West Australian on Monday, one football identity was estimated to receive $1000 an hour for a part-time position while four staff were paid more than $200,000 a year.

The WAFC received $11.2 million from the State Government last year as part of its annual funding agreement but Murray was concerned that most of it appeared to be spent on staff payments rather than football development.

DurtleAU

Senior List
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I like to see league games start at 130pm and games to be 15 minute quarters plus time on.

I'd like to see a match a week at the WACA- every team gives up one 'home' game. Every team plays an equal amount there. This game is always the TV game meaning there is NO excuse for it not to be shown on TV. If 7 can't show it, they must on-sell it to another network (P.S. wouldn't be against 30 minute delays to the broadcast for metro viewers). In addition, fixturing should be more fluid to avoid clashes with the AFL matches involving WCE/Freo (particularly the games at Optus). The occasional Sunday match or even Friday night could work well (WACA only venue with the lighting for this).

Also think more clubs should be following Swans lead with a ground announcer and heaps of giveaways/activities for the kids. Ultimately, if kids don't go as adults in 5-10 years time, the comp weakens further.

One more thing, I'd love the league to explore if they have the funds to fund a 'marquee player'- idea below. It would be a good measure of equalisation to bring all the clubs up, rather than the measures in the last off-season to bring down one club (Subi) for the good of the competition.

Each non-aligned club can nominate one player with AFL experience as a 'marquee player' where the WAFC will pay half the wages (up to a limit). Essentially it means you can offer them twice the wage and that way more clubs can add more quality rather than ex-AFL players choosing the ammos. Chris Masten would be a great example of someone who could be listed as a 'marquee player'. The teams with the best recruitment and list management should shine well.

DurtleAU

Senior List
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
WAFL needs to do something to make all teams even, perhaps even doing a draft system for newbies entering the WAFL, picking direct from the suburban leagues/juniors.

swannies

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Armchair Endzone Minor Comp Winner Armchair Endzone Participant
Oct 27, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Everton
One more thing, I'd love the league to explore if they have the funds to fund a 'marquee player'- idea below. It would be a good measure of equalisation to bring all the clubs up, rather than the measures in the last off-season to bring down one club (Subi) for the good of the competition.

Each non-aligned club can nominate one player with AFL experience as a 'marquee player' where the WAFC will pay half the wages (up to a limit). Essentially it means you can offer them twice the wage and that way more clubs can add more quality rather than ex-AFL players choosing the ammos. Chris Masten would be a great example of someone who could be listed as a 'marquee player'. The teams with the best recruitment and list management should shine well.
Not while the 124? staff at the WAFC collect $9M between them. They need to streamline the operations, first and foremost. ;)

Spearhead

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I think you have short changed the WAFC swannies to the tune of $3 million as it was $12 million they spent (wasted) on salaries last year!

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
WAFC CEO to depart post season to pursue National Career opportunityThursday, August 27, 2020 - 11:31 AM

The Western Australian Football Commission advises that its CEO, Mr Gavin Taylor, will be departing the role after the completion of the current football season to pursue a career opportunity on the East Coast.

Mr Taylor has been appointed to take up the role as the Australian Managing Director for a major international corporation from January 2021. Details of the new role will be announced in due course.

WAFC Chairman, Hon. Wayne Martin AC QC said, “Gavin leaves with our very best wishes for the next phase of his career and on behalf of the Board I’d like to thank him for his tireless commitment to the WAFC. It’s a credit to him personally and his achievements at the WAFC that he was appointed to such a significant national role.”

“Gavin has made an outstanding contribution to WA football over his 10-years at the WAFC, including his last 4.5 years as CEO. He has carefully navigated WA football through the transition from Subiaco Oval, State funding negotiations, major industry reforms and more recently the COVID-19 pandemic. He will leave the role having re-cast our strategy and structure to ensure the foundations of the game are in great shape moving forward.”

The WAFC will immediately commence an executive search process to identify suitable candidates for the position of CEO of the WAFC. A sub-committee of the WAFC Board, headed by Wayne Martin, will oversee the recruitment process

OWAAT69

Debutant
Aug 4, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know it's been challenging for all sporting clubs and communities in 2020 financially but moving forward I think a marketing rebrand of the WAFL might be a good idea.
The current logo, who knows it ? ....IT LOOKS LAME ! the logo from the 70's 80's early 90's was so distinctive to the WAFL competition. lets get it back or something similar to the black swan on the state jumper as the brand !
I know sponsorship dollars are extremely crucial to all WAFL clubs but let's make the club guernsey sacrosanct and something that should be adorned by the committed people who earn the right to wear it and not cover or hoard it with sponsorship advertising so it looks like NASCAR race vehicle.
I'm not sure what it is or how to do it but leave the jumper without sponsors, or minimal sponsors, and have the sponsors of clubs advertising present to their audience in a different way or format other than on the club guernsey. Make it attractive to a new generation that wish to wear it for the pride of their club.
Pie in the sky ? Thoughts ?

I know it's been challenging for all sporting clubs and communities in 2020 financially but moving forward I think a marketing rebrand of the WAFL might be a good idea.
The current logo, who knows it ? ....IT LOOKS LAME ! the logo from the 70's 80's early 90's was so distinctive to the WAFL competition. lets get it back or something similar to the black swan on the state jumper as the brand !
I know sponsorship dollars are extremely crucial to all WAFL clubs but let's make the club guernsey sacrosanct and something that should be adorned by the committed people who earn the right to wear it and not cover or hoard it with sponsorship advertising so it looks like NASCAR race vehicle.
I'm not sure what it is or how to do it but leave the jumper without sponsors, or minimal sponsors, and have the sponsors of clubs advertising present to their audience in a different way or format other than on the club guernsey. Make it attractive to a new generation that wish to wear it for the pride of their club.
Pie in the sky ? Thoughts ?
Agree entirely regarding the WAFL logo. Bring back similar to the one below and you could incorporate Optus/league sponsor above or instead of 'WAFL'.

1600167787089.png

As for sponsors on jumpers, I'm sorry I can't agree. It's commercial reality now and as West Perth found, a lack of jumper sponsors was a big financial burden. Personally, I think Claremont have balanced their jumper design with logos quite well managing 4 logos PLUS the wafl and Optus logo without detracting from the sash/CFC logo. Other clubs not so much.

Attachments

• 1600167788185.png
    1600167788185.png
    195.6 KB · Views: 143

Shaneh71

Senior List
Jan 7, 2001
WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
South Bunbury,East Perth,Boston
Peel aren't looking to bring back their Reserves side and East Perth are going to cut theirs in 2021.

FitzroyPete

Senior List
Jan 22, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
East Perth (WAFL), Fitzroy (VAFA)
Peel aren't looking to bring back their Reserves side and East Perth are going to cut theirs in 2021.

Shane, where did you hear that East Perth are going to cut their reserves team in 2021?
I'd be very surprised if this is the case.

Shaneh71

Senior List
Jan 7, 2001
WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Shane, where did you hear that East Perth are going to cut their reserves team in 2021?
I'd be very surprised if this is the case.
It is third hand.A good friend of mine has a contact at the Club.

FitzroyPete

Senior List
Jan 22, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
It is third hand.A good friend of mine has a contact at the Club.

I think it would be a big mistake if East Perth dropped their reserves team, Shane.
The form of the ressies players keeps the pressure on senior players to perform.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Considering the population growth projected for the Alkimos-Yanchep corridor, is there any chance of a club relocating there in future? I know kranger has suggested Subiaco move there, but is this realistic?

Shaneh71

Senior List
Jan 7, 2001
WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I think it would be a big mistake if East Perth dropped their reserves team, Shane.
The form of the ressies players keeps the pressure on senior players to perform.

The reason they would do it is to save Money.

FitzroyPete

Senior List
Jan 22, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Yes, having no reserves team would certainly save money, Shane.
On that basis, it's possible that some members of the East Perth board would be quietly happy if the WAFL/WAFC decided to wind up the reserves competition altogether.
However, I'd be very, very surprised if East Perth chose not to field a team if the reserves competition continued.

Back