WAFL performances part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Comparing a 2nd-year FF with a handful of games in the best team in the comp is hardly reasonable. Murphy has been given plenty of chances, I was once one of those who thought "give him a proper chance", but I have now seen enough.

Kicking 2 goals is NOT good enough these days if those are the only 2 possessions he gets. Unfortunately, he is a passenger at senior level.

When was the last time he was persisted with.

2006 was the last time he played 4 games in a row or more and he kicked 16 goals in 7 games as a second forward to Pav.

Campbell is the one who should be persisted with. He has never really had a chance, the end of last year was the first time he had gotten a run in the team and although it was only 4 games he looked very good. If I remember correctly even Robert Walls liked what he saw, and we all know how much he hates everything purple.

Murphy should stay in the WAFL for a while, and should only come in if Campbell doesn't make the most of his chance.

Campbell is the one who should be persisted with. He has never really had a chance, the end of last year was the first time he had gotten a run in the team and although it was only 4 games he looked very good. If I remember correctly even Robert Walls liked what he saw, and we all know how much he hates everything purple.

Murphy should stay in the WAFL for a while, and should only come in if Campbell doesn't make the most of his chance.

Chris you are spot on :thumbsu:

Murph needs to be given the chance like Hawkins is. He's not going to come in and boot 5 every round, but he's structurally important and adding 2 goals a game is good enough this day and age when Key Forwards usually kick 70 or less in a season (Bar Fev and Buddy)

completely agree with this. the reality is, is that we will not be any good this year.... so what is the harm at telling ryan, that the full forward position is his for the next 5 weeks, that he will not come off the field unless injured or completely stuffed, and that he needs to present, and kick goals... no matter how bad he plays, he will be given the job........ if he plays well, then we have gained a quality forward, if he still does nothing, then we drop him and forget about him completely... the reality is that in 06 he looked the goods, if he gets his confidence up he may get back to that form... if he doesnt perform then let him fade away into the wafl... and then give campbell his shot when he is ready adn give him the same ultimatum

When was the last time he was persisted with.

2006 was the last time he played 4 games in a row or more and he kicked 16 goals in 7 games as a second forward to Pav.

Murphy played every pre-season game + Rd 1 in 2007... He was useless. He was the first choice FF, and was a lay down misere to own that position in the 22. Only problem was that between the mid-end of Sept '06 when he (we) last played, and the start of the pre-season in Feb '07, he forgot how to play the game.

The position was his - he had earnt it in '06, and the expectation from the coaching staff (and us), was that Murphy would be the Fremantle FF for the next 10 years. Then he dropped the ball.

He put in 4 or 5 crap performaces in a row during the early part of '07 and was finally (deservedly) dropped. Everyone thought he'd get a bit of a kick in the pants, and be back sooner rather than later as the Murph we knew and loved from 2006.

However, this was not tha case, and he has never regained that form that he found in the second half of '06, when we all thought we had found a genuine FF star in the making. He comes in - is as useless as **** on a bull for 2 games, gets dropped, kicks bags in the WAFL, eventually gets picked, is as useless as **** on a bull for 2 games, gets dropped, kicks bags in the WAFL, eventually gets picked, is as useless as **** in a bull for two games, gets dropped, kicks bags in the WAFL, eventually gets picked, is as useless as..... I think we all get the pattern.

Murphy, and Murphy alone, is the reason why he's not in the team. :thumbsdown:

Wow... Preseason, I forgot how they completely defined a season.

IP, you should really look at the stats before you type that again. Murphy was in decent form when he got dropped in 06, he didn't deserve to get dropped.

So many people are so harsh on him like they are Mundy. It is pretty much couch potato syndrome. Think you know better than the entire coaching staff. Well get out there and get the job as coach of Freo then. Until you do, leave the analysis to people who have more than half a brain.

You do yourself no favours at all Bradesy. :rolleyes:

I am agreeing with Murphy being out of the team (which is what the coaches have done - dropped him). You however, think they are doing the wrong thing and should give him an extended run. But then you type:

It is pretty much couch potato syndrome. Think you know better than the entire coaching staff. Well get out there and get the job as coach of Freo then. Until you do, leave the analysis to people who have more than half a brain.

That's yourself you are talking about Big Fella. :rolleyes:

And if the pre-season is not partly for determining form leading into the season, what exactly is it for? :confused: And if poor pre-season form, coupled with poor form in the season proper does not wanrrant getitng dropped... then what does?

sarcasmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm dude

Sorry 'dooouuuude', you were so subtle I missed it. This board isn't usually subtle.

Wow... Preseason, I forgot how they completely defined a season.

IP, you should really look at the stats before you type that again. Murphy was in decent form when he got dropped in 06, he didn't deserve to get dropped.

So many people are so harsh on him like they are Mundy. It is pretty much couch potato syndrome. Think you know better than the entire coaching staff. Well get out there and get the job as coach of Freo then. Until you do, leave the analysis to people who have more than half a brain.

Brady, it is actually you who should check the facts. IP is right, Murphs wasn't dropped in 2006 - he was dropped after the first few games in 2007. His form in 2007 was soooooooooo stellar that he played an awesome total of 7 games for, wait for it, 3 goals 3 behinds. FFS, Andrew Foster kicked more goals than Murphs in 2007.

We were a disappointing team in 2007, but you try getting confidence in the team when you're in one week out the other. Everyone wants to persist with Hill and Suban, but god forbid we give Murphy a chance. He's only 23, a key forward. Look at Fevola as an example. He didn't hit his straps till he was 22 when he was persisted with.

all i know is that while murphy has been disappointing to the extreme, the club resigned him for a further two years at the end of 08 even after he had done nothing since 06, i know people will say that the reason for that is that the club are idiots, but i choose to believe that they see something in him which most of us dont...... i think he is a talented guy, low on confidence who if given an extended run at full forward, not just for two games and for 2 quarters per game, but for say 5 games and full games, we will start to see the player that he can be come out in him..... and if not well it will be just another blunder for the recruitment staff

The fact that people are debating which player should be given an opportunity when Murphy and Campbell are in their 6th AFL season illustrates how incompetent our football club has been. Any other club would have identified the necessary talent or lack there of and either cemented the player in their side or cut them loose.

the expectation from the coaching staff (and us), was that Murphy would be the Fremantle FF for the next 10 years. Then he dropped the ball.

Then why recruit Tarrant, to play fullback?

The fact that people are debating which player should be given an opportunity when Murphy and Campbell are in their 6th AFL season illustrates how incompetent our football club has been. Any other club would have identified the necessary talent or lack there of and either cemented the player in their side or cut them loose.

Spot on I'm afraid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then why recruit Tarrant, to play fullback?

Don't be a smartarse dom, it doesn't become you... :p

I think they hoped that Pav, Taz and Murph would be the three talls down forward. Murphy pretty much out of the square, Pav roaming around half forward, and Taz as the forward who drags a defender out to leave some space for the others. Much of the discussion here at the time (which of course was speculation), was Murph FF, Pav CHF, Taz HFF leading up to the wings, where he could use his huge tank to best advantage.

IIRC, Taz was only plonked in the goal square after Murphy turned out to be a spud... He was mostly named in the pocket in his few games prior to that.

Other games:

EF v C @ EF Oval - Televised on ABC1 2pm
EF: Hall (FP)
C: Deboer (HFF) :confused:
Sibosado still playing ressies for Claremont

EP v PT @ Leederville Oval
N/A
Clarke listed as an "out (Fremantle)" for EP; still no Brock for Peel (even though the club said he'd be right for Rd 1)

P v SD @ Lathlain Park on MOnday
P: Ruffles (HBF) - NO DRUM
SD: Pratt (CHB), Pearce (BP), Walters (FP)

Not named anywhere this week:
Drum (??)
Des (inj)
Brock (inj still??)
Ballantyne (inj)
Foster (couldn't find him in EF reserves, even though Woewodin said during the week that he'd have another run there before getting a call up)
Mayne (inj)
Campbell (WP bye)
Bucovaz (inj)
Hayden (inj)
Connelly (inj)
Van Berlo (inj)

No need to crucify me. *

* Crap pun intended. :thumbsdown:

Right, that one was so bad that you're not getting an Easter egg (or bilby or wallaby or wombat or whatever you Australians give each other)...

Sibo in the reserves again - this is what happens when you let Roger Kerr have control over Freo players. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Don't be a smartarse dom, it doesn't become you... :p

I think they hoped that Pav, Taz and Murph would be the three talls down forward. Murphy pretty much out of the square, Pav roaming around half forward, and Taz as the forward who drags a defender out to leave some space for the others. Much of the discussion here at the time (which of course was speculation), was Murph FF, Pav CHF, Taz HFF leading up to the wings, where he could use his huge tank to best advantage.

IIRC, Taz was only plonked in the goal square after Murphy turned out to be a spud... He was mostly named in the pocket in his few games prior to that.

why is it though, that we never seem to play him in the square?

Sibo in the reserves again - this is what happens when you let Roger Kerr have control over Freo players. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

How can they keep putting Sibsy in the magoos when they are apparently (based on the coverage on the interwebnet) playing so badly in the league? Or, are Freo instructing that he be "brought along gradually" in the ressies??

why is it though, that we never seem to play him in the square?

Dunno. I guess the same reason Harvs never plays Duffman on a wing, Harvs never plays MJ up forward, and the same reason Harvs asks Ibbo to match McPhee, or Hill to play on a half back flank against Lucas for a quarter. Match ups must be being determined by these guys
cone_of_silence1.jpg

'cause they sure don't suit where some of our players should be being played...

I don't mind Sibosado playing reserves, not sure what his endurance would be like and it's better for him to get a full game there than play bursts off the bench in the league side.

Duffman in the backline kind of made sense considering how limited our options were but dropping him for poor form while in the wrong position was puzzling. Decisions like moving Tarrant after his best game for the club and playing Murphy as a midfielder in the centre square are baffling. Our defence is so much better with Grover and McPharlin down there so using Johnson as the swing man seems a no brainer to me.

I don't mind Sibosado playing reserves, not sure what his endurance would be like and it's better for him to get a full game there than play bursts off the bench in the league side.

Duffman in the backline kind of made sense considering how limited our options were but dropping him for poor form while in the wrong position was puzzling. Decisions like moving Tarrant after his best game for the club and playing Murphy as a midfielder in the centre square are baffling. Our defence is so much better with Grover and McPharlin down there so using Johnson as the swing man seems a no brainer to me.

If everyone played in their natural positions, and we managed to pull off a win, well, there'll be no end to the expectations of the supporters. ;)

Having said that, while we continue to lose, the coaching staff can run with experiments and throw the youngsters into the mix to get used to the tempo. I'm not that worried about the results this year, but I do expect to see a lot of positive development in the bottom of our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back