WAFL Performances

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
*shudder*

Yeah that's where my thinking is going too. I would much rather we take solid footballers who can do all the basics especially kicking.

Thats what i'm thinking. All players in the draft are a risk. They may or may not work out. For me - we need midfielders - and if Hartlett or rich is available for our oick we must nab them.

Thing is - in the rare chance they both are available come pick 3 - which one should we take?

Didn't Seaby get smashed in a Naitanui tackle?

he did

Mark Seaby will continue to have intensive treatment with the West Coast medical staff this week as he fights desperately to be fit to play against Swan Districts in Saturday’s WAFL preliminary final.

The West Perth big man injured his shoulder in a rugged clash with Subiaco’s Rob Forrest early in the second half of the second semifinal and was forced from the ground.

Seaby has been cleared of a break but West Perth football manager Ryan Lasscock said he would receive intensive treatment for the rest of the week.

“We’re confident he will be right to play but he’ll spend most of the week with the Eagles,” Lasscock said.

“He was very lucky because it was very similar to what happened to (Swan Districts captain Adam) Lange and he’s out for the rest of the season.”

Lange broke a collarbone in a collision with South Fremantle’s Ashton Hams during the first semifinal.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=210&ContentID=97079

Seaby had dominated up to that point with 17 possessions and 11 hit outs, but Naitanui's tackle hurt his shoulder again and he did not reappear.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,24341940-5005401,00.html

If we pick Yarran ahead of Rich then the club's recruiting staff all need a good bullet to the head.
I've seen enough of Yarran to know that he's incredibly classy when he gets the ball, but shirks more contests than a paranoid guinea pig. Unless he can get rid of that massive flaw in his game (which is hard to do) he's going to get absolutely creamed in the AFL. I'd rate him as a pick 15-25. Certainly nothing more, he's too risky for a top 10.
Stats from WAFL for WA National Draft Camp invitees
More information found at-

http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-2393-0-64429-0&pool=-1&round=0&a=STATS

Ian Richardson (Cl) 20 yrs
19 games 13.6 possessions and 5.1 marks per game
Kicked 60 goals and 25 points
WA State player
WA V Qld - Simpson medalist 2008

18s State players who have played more than 6 games of WAFL League (senior footy) in 2008

Remember the WA boys listed below are playing against senior players, many with current AFL experience, not against under 19 year olds in colts or school footy!!
Let’s keep their performances in perspective when comparing players, especially from Melbourne.

Dan Rich (S) 18 yrs
2008 WAFL Season
15 games av 15.2 possessions 3.2 marks and 1.2 goals per game
WA State U21 Team 2008
All Australian 18s player 2007 and 2008
18s 5 games 16 possessions and 2.6 marks/game

Matt DeBoer (Cl) 18 yrs
2008 WAFL season
14 games av 17.2 possessions and 3.8 marks per game
WA State U21 Team 2008
All Australian 18s player 2008
18s 5 games 20.1 possessions and 5 marks/game
Joint Best and Fairest for WA

Nic Naitanui (SD) 18 yrs
2008 WAFL season
15 games 10.6 possessions and 2.0 marks/game
WA State U21 Team 2008
18s 5 games 12.6 possessions and 2.4 marks per game
All Australian 18s player 2007 and 2008

Chris Yarran (SD) 18 yrs
2008 WAFL season
11 games 14.3 possessions and 3 marks/game
Kicked 34 goals and 19 points
State U21 Team 2008
18s 4 games 11.5 possessions and 3.2 marks per game
Kicked 8 goals and 5 points

Clancee Pearce (SD) 18 yrs
2008 WAFL season
7 games 16.3 possessions and 5.3 marks per game
5 games 18 possessions and 4.2 marks per game
Named MVP for WA

Stephen Hill (WP) 18 years
2008 WAFL season
6 games 12 possessions and 2.1 marks per game
5 games 13.4 possessions and 3 marks per game
Joint Best and Fairest for WA

I would rather Freo had too many midfielders and had to play one in the forward pocket.
The other side of the coin is we have too many forward pockets and have to trade one away to the magpies where the little bastard makes All Australian... I'm NOT bitter...
seriously though, if we desperatly need a small forward then Headland can play the role as well as any.
draft mids. A good midfield division kicks it's own goals, as well as pin pointing passes to the talls (pav, taz, murph, bradley etc) negating the need for a crumber.
If Harvey takes yarran at #3 it will be the first stupid decision he will have made at Freo.

I'm just waiting for us to get a Stompy_Dodd on here ;)

My mail is that Campbell requested a trade as soon as he found out people call him lotto man. When Dodd finds out you call him Stompy he'll probably do the same, just make sure you don't create a homosexual nickname for Pavlich! :D

I would rather Freo had too many midfielders and had to play one in the forward pocket.
The other side of the coin is we have too many forward pockets and have to trade one away to the magpies where the little bastard makes All Australian... I'm NOT bitter...
seriously though, if we desperatly need a small forward then Headland can play the role as well as any.
draft mids. A good midfield division kicks it's own goals, as well as pin pointing passes to the talls (pav, taz, murph, bradley etc) negating the need for a crumber.
If Harvey takes yarran at #3 it will be the first stupid decision he will have made at Freo.

i have always thought that extra midfield who can play foward is better than an exclusive small forward. also, hasleby would be a good small forward as well.

*Bump*

Welcome back for 2009!!

I've had a good look on the WAFL site, and the only names of Freo players that are playing this weekend are Thornton and Sibosado for Claremont (named on the bench), and Foster is playing reserves for EF.

There's no deBoer, Walters, Pearce, Shepheard, van Berlo, Ruffles, Hall, Pratt despite not playing many games during the pre-season.

There are a few recently retired ex-Dockers playing, including the Wiz for Souths (Bell not named), Matt Carr for Swans, Black for Peel, Webster for EP among a few others who have been gone for a while now...

Anyone planning on getting to a WAFL game this weekend? I am hoping to get to the Souths v Swans game tomorrow night at Freo Oval. I'll keep an eye on that young gun Thornton and report back to you all how he goes... ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I took that as a good sign IP, that not many of your players are playing. I think the AFL will only let them if they do need the match practice and the eagles have about 10 playing. Like I said, I just take it as a good sign that your fitness and conditioning is at a good level.

But looking forward to tomorrow night immensely! Hope there's a big crowd in. :thumbsu:

Cool, I thought it didn't start til next week. Shame it's only West/East Perth with no Freo players on tv though.

I was really hoping Claremont would be the Sat game, I'm hanging out to get my first look at my man Sibo.

According to todays paper Sibo's only been named as an emergency and is no longer on the bench.
Will be interesting to see if he plays though.

Thinking about it now - he was on an extended interchange, so obviously didn't make the cut. That's bad luck. :thumbsdown:

No Mayne .... http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/sport/afl/story/0,26633,25214690-5016215,00.html
Permission to train list

| March 20, 2009 07:40am

Fremantle - Andrew Brown, Chris Hall, Garrick Ibbotson, Scott Thornton.

Yeah, Perth have the bye, so unless the club wanted to try and get him playing reserves for another club - or he's still injured - they probably figured it's not worth it.

Interesting that Foster was named for EF reserves but not named above, while Ibbotson and Hall are named above but weren't named to play for the Gummies this weekend, nor Browne for Claremont, while Thornton was named for Souths, but not in the list above...

:confused:

According to todays paper Sibo's only been named as an emergency and is no longer on the bench.
Will be interesting to see if he plays though.

Yeah just saw that.. dammit :thumbsdown:

ahh well... instead i get to see a few Weagle rookies go around.. and a couple of Carltank rejects :\ we could be in trouble based on that :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back