WAFL Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 12, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
New entry this week in the lowest 15 combined scores since 1980 with Claremont and East Perth combining for just 81 points.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431864610.184368.jpg

waflfootyfacts.net

Mar 12, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
SITE UPDATE | waflfootyfacts now includes all players for every game ever for Swan Districts and now Peel Thunder and every player for every club for 1968, 1982-1986 and 1991-2015! Next I'm adding the 'non-goal scorers' for 1987-1990, then 1979-1981 but these years will take some time to add in. Also added in a couple new stats pages including players for each club by season and team stats for season. Don't forget to follow on Facebook and Twitter for all my updates. Cheers

http://waflfootyfacts.net

waflfootyfacts.net

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Round 1, 1977. East Fremantle trailed by 32 points at 3qtr time vs Subiaco and won by 53 points out scoring Subiaco 85-0 in the last qtr. This is the biggest turnaround win from a 3qtr time deficit in the WAFL.

http://waflfootyfacts.net/gamestats.php?GameID=5669

This game was West Perth's greatest turnaround (64 points) win from a 3 qtr time margin.

http://waflfootyfacts.net/gamestats.php?GameID=9128

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks WAFL Footy Facts, that is an amazing game.

I noticed another interesting West Perth fact today; in 1993 West Perth were minor premiers and Swan Districts second, yet neither the Falcons nor the Swans' percentage reached 100. I can't even think of any season, in the WAFL or any league around Australia where the minor premier had a percentage of less than 100, let alone the top two teams. Little wonder the Falcons and Swans proved easy prey for the Claremont Tigers, which comfortably took out the 1993 WAFL premiership from 3rd (final 5).

Are there any other examples of a minor premier with a percentage of under 100?

Mar 12, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
WEBSITE UPDATE | Check out the new Ladders section featuring the Ladder Position Table, ladders for different periods of time and you can now view the Home and Away ladder by season. If you wish to view a ladder for a specific period, let me know and I'll add it to the period ladders.

Click the 'Ladders' link from the home page or via this link

http://waflfootyfacts.net/laddersidx.php

Mar 12, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Thanks WAFL Footy Facts, that is an amazing game.

I noticed another interesting West Perth fact today; in 1993 West Perth were minor premiers and Swan Districts second, yet neither the Falcons nor the Swans' percentage reached 100. I can't even think of any season, in the WAFL or any league around Australia where the minor premier had a percentage of less than 100, let alone the top two teams. Little wonder the Falcons and Swans proved easy prey for the Claremont Tigers, which comfortably took out the 1993 WAFL premiership from 3rd (final 5).

Are there any other examples of a minor premier with a percentage of under 100?

Hi Emuboy

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner - I am not sure on this one - and without going through every year I don't have this info easily on hand - as soon as I find an answer i'll let you know - I do recall seeing it in prior to 1993 but definitely not the top two teams.

mianfei

Club Legend
May 10, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hi Emuboy

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner - I am not sure on this one - and without going through every year I don't have this info easily on hand - as soon as I find an answer i'll let you know - I do recall seeing it in prior to 1993 but definitely not the top two teams.
West Perth's percentage is the lowest by a minor premier in a major football league - no doubt about it. The latest any other team has topped the ladder with nearly so low a percentage was Hawthorn in the 1969 VFL season, when they had lost only one game after Round 8 but their percentage was barely over 100 because they had been thrashed by Carlton in the second round.

In fact, the next two lowest percentage by a minor premier in a major Australian Rules league were also in the WA(N)FL: East Fremantle in 1921 and Perth in 1963. The lowest in the V/AFL is 116.3 by Carlton in 1938, which is still a full seventeen percent higher than West Perth in 1993 and thirteen percent higher than Perth in 1963.

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
West Perth's percentage is the lowest by a minor premier in a major football league - no doubt about it. The latest any other team has topped the ladder with nearly so low a percentage was Hawthorn in the 1969 VFL season, when they had lost only one game after Round 8 but their percentage was barely over 100 because they had been thrashed by Carlton in the second round.

In fact, the next two lowest percentage by a minor premier in a major Australian Rules league were also in the WA(N)FL: East Fremantle in 1921 and Perth in 1963. The lowest in the V/AFL is 116.3 by Carlton in 1938, which is still a full seventeen percent higher than West Perth in 1993 and thirteen percent higher than Perth in 1963.

Thanks Mianfei, I couldn't think of any cases of a minor premier having a percentage of less than 100 at this level of football, at least not in recent times.

West Perth would have to be one of the most enigmatic teams at this level, when you consider:

1. West Perth drew three times in 1960.
2. After finishing runner up to Subiaco in 1973, West Perth slumped to last in 1974, then rebounded to win the 1975 premiership
3. In 1981, West Perth defeated East Fremantle by 178-points, but lost to South Fremantle by 180-points in the last round.
4. Meeting South Fremantle again early in the 1982 season, West Perth won by 113-points.
5. West Perth defeated South Fremantle by 210-points in 1987, when just 1 game separated these teams and neither made the finals.
6. Following this 210-point win over South Fremantle, West Perth lost to Claremont by 96-points the next week.
7. After 3 successive wooden spoons in 1990, 1991 & 1992, West Perth top the ladder in 1993 with a percentage of less than 100.
8. In 2012, West Perth lost to Claremont by 120-points one week, and defeated Peel Thunder by 100-points the following round.

Mar 12, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
WEBSITE UPDATE | All players from 1989 now added, new fun quizzes are now available - there'll be anew one each week. Also check out the exclusive grand final preview and the new budgets.

Links form the home page..

I have now every player from every club for every game for 1968, 1982-86 then from 1989 as well as every Swan Districts and Peel Thunder ever. This is in addition to all goal scorers for every team from 1929. I am slowly working backwards and aim to have every player from 1979 by the start of next season, it's a long process as you would imagine. I've scaled back from doing the previews and game reviews due to time restraints over the past few weeks, but will be publishing a big Grand Final preview this week. Also added recently are some fun quizzes, so check them out from the link on the home page.

Thanks again for the support, if you don't already make sure you follow on Twitter and like my Facebook page (turn notifications on) and let your footy fans know about the site.

Ric

waflfootyfacts.net

Jun 25, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
WEBSITE UPDATE | All players from 1989 now added, new fun quizzes are now available - there'll be anew one each week. Also check out the exclusive grand final preview and the new budgets.

Links form the home page..

I have now every player from every club for every game for 1968, 1982-86 then from 1989 as well as every Swan Districts and Peel Thunder ever. This is in addition to all goal scorers for every team from 1929. I am slowly working backwards and aim to have every player from 1979 by the start of next season, it's a long process as you would imagine. I've scaled back from doing the previews and game reviews due to time restraints over the past few weeks, but will be publishing a big Grand Final preview this week. Also added recently are some fun quizzes, so check them out from the link on the home page.

Thanks again for the support, if you don't already make sure you follow on Twitter and like my Facebook page (turn notifications on) and let your footy fans know about the site.

Ric

waflfootyfacts.net

Hi Ric, it's a great site, and very easy to use too. Well done with it.

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Here's a crazy stat from the crazy 1981 season:

Round 3 - East Fremantle d. West Perth by 74 points
Round 10 - West Perth d. East Fremantle by 178 points
Round 17 - East Fremantle d. West Perth by 36 points

What amazing turnarounds; does anyone know of any larger?

Mar 12, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
WEBSITE UPDATE | Have now included all players for 1987 and 1988 including player stats for all teams for 1987 and 1997-2005 for Swan Districts players.

Therefore I have now every player for every game for 1968, part of 1969 and from 1982 and player stats for 1968 and part of 1969 and for 1983-1987 and from 2006 for all teams, plus the 1997-2005 for Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 12, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
WEBSITE UPDATE | The biggest WAFL resource just got bigger! now with every player for every game added for 1980, 1981 and 1982, meaning WAFLFootyFacts now has the full team list for every game from 1980 to 2015!

Full player stats available for 1968, 1983-1987 and from 2006 onwards and for Swans players from 1997.

Also added totals of games won/lost/drawn on the playerstats pages. Win loss records broken down by player by season, by team, by opponent and by venue.

See example ...

http://waflfootyfacts.net/playerstats.php?PlayerID=4415

Enjoy!

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Peel Thunder are playing their 20th season this year, and have still yet to play a draw.

Of the eight 'traditional' WAFL clubs, there has never been a draw between South Fremantle & Swan Districts, South Fremantle & Perth and Perth & Subiaco.

Mar 12, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Hi guys, my game previews are back in a brand new format - check out head to head win loss records, results since 2006, graphically displayed in chart format. Also see 2016 stat leaders and team comparisons, tip and key fact(s) coming into the game

Click the preview link on my home page, or the link below and choose the preview you wish to see. Note the link will go the to the review page once I've updated the scores for each match. Eg. If you click the Subi and EP link it will go to the review page.

I'll be aiming to get the previews on line each Wednesday.

www.waflfootyfacts.net/previews.php

Cheers

ric@waflfootyfacts.net

Mar 12, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Round 2 reviews are online now.

Click the [Game Stats & Reviews] link on the season games page, or on the home page

waflfootyfacts.net/seasonmatchscores.php?Season=2016

Highlights include:
Subiaco winning 3rd straight vs East Perh
Peel and East Fremantle in the closest game in their history in terms of margins at end of each quarter
West Perth extending their win streak to 9 games against Perth
South Fremantle hold Swans to it lowest ever score.

FACT OF THE ROUND: Swans score of 2.6 (18) is the lowest score since 1952 in a game where the losing team has won two quarters. In games where the losing team won two quarters the score ranks the 20th lowest all time, and the 19 lower scores were between 1898 and 1918!

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
It's a long time until the WAFL Grand Final, but I thought it would be interesting to list the year in which the Grand Final match ups last occurred. I wonder if there will be a Grand Final this year between teams that haven't played for the premiership for some years, or have never met in the last game of the season?

2015 - Subiaco v West Perth
2014 - Subiaco v East Perth
2013 - West Perth v East Perth
2012 - Claremont v East Fremantle
2011 - Claremont v Subiaco
2010 - Swan Districts v Claremont
2009 - South Fremantle v Subiaco
2008 - Subiaco v Swan Districts
2005 - South Fremantle v Claremont
2001 - East Perth v South Fremantle
2000 - East Perth v East Fremantle
1999 - West Perth v South Fremantle
1998 - East Fremantle v West Perth
1997 - South Fremantle v East Fremantle
1996 - Claremont v East Perth
1993 - Claremont v West Perth
1986 - Subiaco v East Fremantle
1984 - Swan Districts v East Fremantle
1980 - South Fremantle v Swan Districts
1978 - East Perth v Perth
1977 - Perth v East Fremantle
1970 - South Fremantle v Perth
1961 - Swan Districts v East Perth
1949 - West Perth v Perth
1915 - Subiaco v Perth
None - Claremont v Perth, Perth v Swan Districts, Swan Districts v West Perth
(NB Peel Thunder have not played in a Grand Final to date)

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
We have discussed a few Test cricketers earlier in this thread, and I was wondering whether there has been any WAFL footballers who became famous in other areas? For example in the VFL/AFL there has been Doug Nicholls, a future Governor of South Australia; Don Chipp, a future leader of the Democrats; Alan Stretton, a future Major General in the Australian Army; and Lindsay Fox, a well known businessman. In the VFA there has been John Curtin who played for Brunswick and later became PM, as well as Norman Yemm, who became a famous actor on Homicide, Number 96 and The Sullivans. The SANFL has had Lionel Hill, who later became that state's premier.
Are there any well known WA identities who played senior WAFL footy and later became famous in other fields?

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
We have discussed a few Test cricketers earlier in this thread, and I was wondering whether there has been any WAFL footballers who became famous in other areas? For example in the VFL/AFL there has been Doug Nicholls, a future Governor of South Australia; Don Chipp, a future leader of the Democrats; Alan Stretton, a future Major General in the Australian Army; and Lindsay Fox, a well known businessman. In the VFA there has been John Curtin who played for Brunswick and later became PM, as well as Norman Yemm, who became a famous actor on Homicide, Number 96 and The Sullivans. The SANFL has had Lionel Hill, who later became that state's premier.
Are there any well known WA identities who played senior WAFL footy and later became famous in other fields?

The current Liberal member for Swan, Steve Irons, played for East Perth in the 1980s.

The late Ray O'Connor, a Liberal Premier of WA in 1982-83 played for South Fremantle and East Perth in the 1940s.

Another footballer named Ray by coincidence also became a State Premier. Ray Groom, a Melbourne player in the 1960s served as Tasmanian Premier in the early 1990s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back