WAFL Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

You may have noticed I've not been adding reviews the last few weeks this is due to reduced hits on my reviews but mainly due to lack of time for me to add them. I will be phasing them out from now on using other means such as on forums, my Facebook and Twitter accounts to post significant facts etc.

For those following me on Facebook, make sure you set your notifications to view WAFL FootyFacts so you see my posts.

Any way here are some facts of interest for week 1 of the finals

East Perth become just the 3rd team to start and end the season will a scoreless quarter, joining South Fremantle in 1904 and Swan Districts in 1952!

West Perth's scoreline of 10.9 (69) is the 7th occurrence of this score in 2016 equaling 4.8 (32) in 1909 as the most times a single scoreline has occurred in a single season.

Both South Fremantle and West Perth join the two Easts as the only teams with over 10,000 points for in finals footy.

South Fremantle's win over West Perth increased their finals win loss record to 61-60 with 1 draw.

With a score of 5.7 (37) East Perth now hold two of the lowest three score against Peel Thunder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most stats freaks know that Michael Tuck played 426 VFL/AFL games without winning a best and fairest. Which WAFL players played the most games without gaining a club best and fairest?

Most stats freaks know that Michael Tuck played 426 VFL/AFL games without winning a best and fairest. Which WAFL players played the most games without gaining a club best and fairest?

I have been able to discover the following players with more than 230 games and no best and fairest. There might be extra players from the last 25 years whom I haven't included.

Player | Games | Club/s
\Alan Watling|284|West Perth
\John Hayes|272|East Perth/Claremont/South Fremantle
\Con Regan|262|East Fremantle
\Frank Treasure|254|South Fremantle
\Colin Williams|252|Subiaco
\Norm McDiarmid|247|West Perth
\Tom Mullooly|246|Swan Districts
\Tim Barker|239|Swan Districts
\Don Byfield|239|South Fremantle
\Mal Atwell|236|East Perth/Perth
\Jackie Guhl|234|East Perth
\Ken Bagley|232|Swan Districts
\Percy Johnson|232|East Fremantle/Claremont/Swan Districts

I have been able to discover the following players with more than 230 games and no best and fairest. There might be extra players from the last 25 years whom I haven't included.

Player | Games | Club/s
\Tim Barker|239|Swan Districts
Tim Barker played his 239 games without ever playing in a final. The black and whites’ only major round appearance during those years was in 1945 when Tim Barker was entirely unavailable due to war service. He did not play open-age football until 1947 for that reason although the restricted age competition ended after Barker’s only season therein in 1944.

Tim Barker’s record is eight more than the V/AFL record held by his namesake, Trevor Barker of St. Kilda – and I have assumed ever since discovering it the record for all major Australian Rules competitions.

Do you know the nearest rivals in WA(N)FL history for most career games without playing any finals? If you do could they be tabulated?

Tim Barker played his 239 games without ever playing in a final. The black and whites’ only major round appearance during those years was in 1945 when Tim Barker was entirely unavailable due to war service. He did not play open-age football until 1947 for that reason although the restricted age competition ended after Barker’s only season therein in 1944.

Tim Barker’s record is eight more than the V/AFL record held by his namesake, Trevor Barker of St. Kilda – and I have assumed ever since discovering it the record for all major Australian Rules competitions.

Do you know the nearest rivals in WA(N)FL history for most career games without playing any finals? If you do could they be tabulated?

Hi mianfei - sorry mate I haven't been on bigfooty for a while. I'll check into the most games without finals for you if you would still like to know and I'll get back to you with an answer shortly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a weird WAFL ladder this year.

Swan Districts and West Perth make the finals with percentages of less than 90, while East Perth and Claremont both have percentages greater than 100 and miss out on playing in September.

Perth again finish last - 10th wooden spoon since their last GF appearance in 1978, 20 years since the Demons played finals, and 40 years since they last won a premiership.

In the 40 years since Perth won the 1977 flag, Claremont have won 8 premierships, East Fremantle 5, East Perth 4, Peel Thunder 1, South Fremantle 4, Subiaco 8, Swan Districts 5 and West Perth 4.

Where to now for poor old Perth, one has to wonder.

What a weird WAFL ladder this year.

Swan Districts and West Perth make the finals with percentages of less than 90, while East Perth and Claremont both have percentages greater than 100 and miss out on playing in September.

Perth again finish last - 10th wooden spoon since their last GF appearance in 1978, 20 years since the Demons played finals, and 40 years since they last won a premiership.

In the 40 years since Perth won the 1977 flag, Claremont have won 8 premierships, East Fremantle 5, East Perth 4, Peel Thunder 1, South Fremantle 4, Subiaco 8, Swan Districts 5 and West Perth 4.

Where to now for poor old Perth, one has to wonder.
Two other things:
  • Subiaco has a chance to equal East Fremantle’s 1946 record of twenty-one straight victories within a season. The Lions lost the opening match to South Fremantle by 39 points but have not lost since.
  • East Fremantle, for their part, despite avoiding the wooden spoon with a convincing win over Swan Districts (amidst a Perth bye) have had their worst record since their first 1898 season (in 119 years).
    • The blue and whites previously also won only three games in 2004, but their 2017 percentage was 74.62% as against 2017’s 69.04%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bump. Quick question, is it Darcy Cameron who currently holds the record for most hit uts in a game in the WAFL? Can't find any records

Cameron’s best is 61 hitouts, there have been at least 4 Occassions where players have had more.

The best and really only place for WAFL stats is waflfootyfacts.net - I have more WAFL stats and records than any other source online or offline. Although player stats data is not readily available I have “most hit outs in a game” since 2010 which can be found here - http://waflfootyfacts.net/player/game.php#8.

Check out the about page for more ... http://waflfootyfacts.net/about.php

Cheers Ric
waflfootyfacts.net

Is there any news about UpForGrabs ? He hasn't posted for almost two years and was a great contributor to this thread and several others.

I know he tweets frequently and is on Insta but, other than that, I don't know.

SITE UPDATE: Have just added complete team lists for every South Fremantle Football Club game from 1947 to 1964 to my website, meaning waflfootyfacts now has full team lists for every WAFL game since 1934 for Swan Districts, 1947 for South Fremantle and all other clubs since 1965 plus every goal kicked since 1929 plus random lists from 1885 to 1929. Full or partial player profiles for 8,222 league footballers.

Some facts about Subiaco’s extraordinary 2017 and 2018 seasons:
  1. After winning all twenty games in 2018, Subiaco became only the second open-age WAFL team to go through undefeated, following East Fremantle in 1946.
  2. In the three seasons of 2008, 2017 and 2018, Subiaco had a combined home-and-away record of 56—2 – or three seasons with none or one loss!
  3. In contrast, between 1947 and 2007, only one team – Claremont in 1987 – lost only one game in a senior WANFL/WAFL/WASFL/Westar Rules season, and the 1987 Tigers also drew one game
  4. If Subiaco had not lost the 2017 Grand Final, the Lions would have won 39 straight games, which would have constituted an all-time WAFL/WANFL/WASFL/Westar Rules record, and only ten short of North Melbourne’s 1910s VFA record
  5. After the 2018 home-and-away season, Subiaco had won 37 straight home-and-away games
  6. If they win their first seven of 2019, the Lions will have surpassed North Melbourne’s 43 consecutive home-and-away victories in the VFA between 1914 and 1919

Been busy over off season so far, here's some updates I've made. View all my site updates here... http://waflfootyfacts.net/updates.php

13 January 2019

Team - Margin Records: You can now use filters to view individual team margin records by opponent, venue, round and/or season. Previously you could only filter by opponent. Team margin records can be accessed via the individual Team's home page.

12 January 2019

Team - Charts - Margins Charts added for each team to display the number of times they have won and lost by a certain margin.

30 December 2018

Team - Scoring Records: You can now use filters to view individual team scoring records by opponent, venue, round and/or season. Previously you could only filter by opponent. Team scoring records can be accessed via the individual Team's home page.

23 December 2018

Players: Added player records by jumper number to my Player Records section. You can search by team, including 'All Teams' and by jumper number. Note: My jumper data is still largely incomplete, more jumper numbers will be added over time.

9 December 2018

Players: All players for South Fremantle added for the 1947 to 1964 seasons, meaning WAFLFootyFacts now has the full team player list for every WAFL game played since 1934 for Swan Districts, 1947 for South Fremantle and 1965 for all others!

Perth, which has struggled for many years, jumped out of the blocks this year winning the first 5 games. And despite its form being patchy since mid-season, it seemed likely that a finals drought of 22 years - dating all the way back to 1997 - would finally end. And for stats fans, a drought-breaking Demons finals appearance would have been in the Elimination Final against West Perth. The Falcons and Demons have not played a finals match since the 1976 first semi final, and have not been in the same finals series since way back in 1978.

Yet somehow, the Demons blew it. A three point loss to lowly Peel Thunder on Saturday had the Demons desperately hoping East Fremantle could upset the West Coast Eagles Reserves on Sunday. Alas, the Sharks were not up to the task and the WCE Reserves - who spent a number of weeks at the bottom of the ladder mid-season - won and therefore made the finals in their first season, consigning Perth to its 22nd straight season out of the finals.

Perth, which has struggled for many years, jumped out of the blocks this year winning the first 5 games. And despite its form being patchy since mid-season, it seemed likely that a finals drought of 22 years - dating all the way back to 1997 - would finally end. And for stats fans, a drought-breaking Demons finals appearance would have been in the Elimination Final against West Perth. The Falcons and Demons have not played a finals match since the 1976 first semi final, and have not been in the same finals series since way back in 1978.

Yet somehow, the Demons blew it. A three point loss to lowly Peel Thunder on Saturday had the Demons desperately hoping East Fremantle could upset the West Coast Eagles Reserves on Sunday. Alas, the Sharks were not up to the task and the WCE Reserves - who spent a number of weeks at the bottom of the ladder mid-season - won and therefore made the finals in their first season, consigning Perth to its 22nd straight season out of the finals.
This reminds me of 2013 – when Perth also looked like making the finals before a late collapse. In reality, Perth are in a worse situation than in 2013, when both Demon lower grades made the finals, whereas Perth’s two lower grade teams in 2019 had a combined record of 12—20.

What is exceedingly revealing about Perth’s recent history is that in 2014, after starting 3—3 with predictions of better things to come (if my memory serves me correctly), their league team went 2—32 for the remainder of 2014 and 2015, and Perth’s reserves and colts teams collapsed similarly from their 2013 form. Similar patterns were observed in 2004 – although neither Perth lower grade team played finals that season – whereby the Demons went 11—49 between 2005 and 2007.

As to the ultimate cause of the problems that have plagued Perth for four decades and counting, I cannot say I know the answer. I was told several years ago – when I was asking about the extent to which Southern and Eastern European immigration caused the demise of South Melbourne and Fitzroy and threatened the same for North Melbourne and Footscray – that such immigration has had similar effects eroding the traditional supporter base of
“some WAFL and SANFL clubs”.
My (severely limited) knowledge of Perth metropolitan demography and geography suggested to me those WAFL clubs being referred to were Perth and East Fremantle – along with to a lesser extent and at an earlier date South Fremantle.

Immigration-related supporter base erosion, of course, cannot by itself explain Perth’s ineptitude for the past 41 and counting seasons. Neither can a poor country zone in a Wheatbelt affected economically by expansion of the Hadley Cell (circa 800 km poleward since 1964) and resultant constantly declining rainfall and economic position. Given the recent history of West Perth since their move to Joondalup, one could argue that Perth’s management made an irreparable mistake around that time staying at Lathlain. Then there is the question of to what degree Perth’s bad record of the past forty-one seasons is in the modern economic position and sport-wide role of the WAFL self-perpetuating as bad records were not before 1979? For one thing, since 1986 we have almost never observed the rapid turnarounds in performance that happened almost every year in the then-WANFL during the 1960s and 1970s.

On another topic – though confirming my immediately preceding point about the extreme rarity of season-to-season turnarounds vis-à-vis the then-WANFL of the 1960s and 1970s – Subiaco’s three-season record entering the finals of 57—3 (57—2 since the opening round of 2017) is easily the best by any team in a “major” Australian Rules league ever.

The nearest rival would be Port Adelaide in the then-SAFL between 1912 and 1914 with a record of 39—4, which constitutes a success rate of 90.70 percent vis-à-vis Subiaco’s 95 percent (96.61 percent since the opening round of 2017) over the past three seasons.

In other words, Subiaco over the past three seasons has had fewer than half the percentage of losses of any previous team in the VFL/AFL, VFA/VFL, SANFL or WA(N)FL over (approximately) the previous century and a quarter!

This reminds me of 2013 – when Perth also looked like making the finals before a late collapse. In reality, Perth are in a worse situation than in 2013, when both Demon lower grades made the finals, whereas Perth’s two lower grade teams in 2019 had a combined record of 12—20.

What is exceedingly revealing about Perth’s recent history is that in 2014, after starting 3—3 with predictions of better things to come (if my memory serves me correctly), their league team went 2—32 for the remainder of 2014 and 2015, and Perth’s reserves and colts teams collapsed similarly from their 2013 form. Similar patterns were observed in 2004 – although neither Perth lower grade team played finals that season – whereby the Demons went 11—49 between 2005 and 2007.

As to the ultimate cause of the problems that have plagued Perth for four decades and counting, I cannot say I know the answer. I was told several years ago – when I was asking about the extent to which Southern and Eastern European immigration caused the demise of South Melbourne and Fitzroy and threatened the same for North Melbourne and Footscray – that such immigration has had similar effects eroding the traditional supporter base of My (severely limited) knowledge of Perth metropolitan demography and geography suggested to me those WAFL clubs being referred to were Perth and East Fremantle – along with to a lesser extent and at an earlier date South Fremantle.

Immigration-related supporter base erosion, of course, cannot by itself explain Perth’s ineptitude for the past 41 and counting seasons. Neither can a poor country zone in a Wheatbelt affected economically by expansion of the Hadley Cell (circa 800 km poleward since 1964) and resultant constantly declining rainfall and economic position. Given the recent history of West Perth since their move to Joondalup, one could argue that Perth’s management made an irreparable mistake around that time staying at Lathlain. Then there is the question of to what degree Perth’s bad record of the past forty-one seasons is in the modern economic position and sport-wide role of the WAFL self-perpetuating as bad records were not before 1979? For one thing, since 1986 we have almost never observed the rapid turnarounds in performance that happened almost every year in the then-WANFL during the 1960s and 1970s.

Perth's country zone is the Avon - Mortlock areas in the Wheatbelt. While it isn't the highest population area, it is relatively close to Perth and possible for players to remain in the area and commute. The Demons' city zones are in the suburbs close to the south of the Swan River - South Perth, Bentley, Victoria Park, Carlisle, Belmont and other smaller suburbs, which have a number of pretty good football schools and junior clubs. Their other zone is in the heavily populated Gosnells - Canning Vale area, which should assist the Demons to field a good team. It hasn't.

The long-term decline of Perth is something of a mystery. They have a pretty good ground at Lathlain, they don't have a big supporter base but can draw a reasonable crowd on a nice day at home against one of the Demons' biggest rivals such as Swans or East Perth, they do lose players to the AFL but no more than any other WAFL clubs and while not wealthy they aren't broke either. They have had some impressive player signings and a variety of different coaches over the years, none of which has helped the Demons climb the ladder.

What is remarkable is that the dominant Perth which did very well from the mid 1950s to the late 1970s has made the finals just three times - 1986, 1991 and 1997 - in 41 years. And in that time, there were only eight teams from 1979-1996, nine from 1997-2018 and ten from 2019.

Since the Demons last Grand Final in 1978 and Premiership in 1977, this is the Grand Final records of the other WAFL clubs:

West Perth - 8 Grand Finals, 4 Premierships
East Perth - 6 Grand Finals, 3 Premierships
Claremont - 17 Grand Finals, 8 Premierships
Subiaco - 19 Grand Finals, 9 Premierships
South Fremantle - 11 Grand Finals, 4 Premierships
East Fremantle - 10 Grand Finals, 5 Premierships
Swan Districts - 7 Grand Finals, 5 Premierships
Peel Thunder - 2 Grand Finals, 2 Premierships

Round 1 of the 2020 WAFL finally completed - the latest start to a WAFL season on record and what will be the least number of games (36) in home and away season since 1900

round 1 facts

WAFL Round 1: 2020

Perth def Peel Thunder
FACT: Both teams failing to register a goal in the first quarter (0.3 each) is the first time this has happened since P v SF in 2007 and just the 3rd time this century

West Perth def Swan Districts
FACT: West Perth set a club record for round 1 fixtures overcoming a 20 point 3 quarter time deficit the bigggest margin they have overcome at 3 qtr time in a season opener

Claremont def Subiaco
FACT: Claremont snap a 9 game losing streak against Subiaco and become the first team other than South Fremantle or Peel to defeat Subiaco since Perth beat the Lions in round 16, 2016

South Fremantle def East Fremantle
FACT: South Fremantle extend win streak over the Sharks to 10. After round 1, South Fremantle's percentage of 552.38% is the highest in club history and 11th highest for any team, whilst East Fremantle's 18.10% is their 3rd lowest only lower after their first two games they played back in 1898 and the 13th lowest ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back