WAFL vs SANFL vs VFL - which league is strongest?

Second strongest Aussie Rules league in Australia?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Taper

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
I haven't seen much discussion about how strong the state leagues are in comparison to each other. So I decided to start one.

Which league do you think is the strongest out of the WAFL, SANFL and VFL?
I'd be interested in knowing which league is the second highest level of Aussie Rules in Australia.

AFL-listed players are obviously the best in the country and are also the only full-time professional players in the country. The rest are part-timers.

The VFL has 14 AFL reserves team, while the other two leagues have two each.

The VFL is obviously of far greater quality week in, week out for this simple reason.

They are in a par, as we saw in the Foxtel Cup a decade ago.

Vic has more clubs but, in WA/SA players come up through the stage league clubs junior ranks and tend to play there if the don’t make AFL (or post AFL).

In Victoria, a kid who doesn’t get drafted is more likely to play suburban, country (both better $$$ than VFL) or ammo’s footy, rather than play in the VFL. VFL clubs have fan less fans and resources than SANFL/WAFL clubs. Plenty of suburban clubs (e.g. Vermont) have bigger crowds than the stand alone VFL clubs.

AFL-listed players are obviously the best in the country and are also the only full-time professional players in the country. The rest are part-timers.

The VFL is obviously of far greater quality week in, week out for this simple reason.

Not true, potentially good players. All AFL clubs have at least 10 players on their list that are not even good state league players as yet. AFL reserves sides are basically colts teams and for the most part colts teams get smashed by mens teams.
We watch it weekly in WA where AFL listed players get toweled up by good state league players.

Which state league is the best? The VFL stopped playing state matches as they either lost interest or they became uncompetitive? Bit of both I think.
If I was a good footballer who was 25 years old and not going to be drafted I would be heading to the WAFL or SANFL to play footy. AFL reserves teams don't care about winning and it's simply somewhere to do some training and devlopment.

I

Not correct. Both Port and Crows SANFL team are regularly beaten and thrashed by standalone SANFL teams (this year not quite as much).

Only Port have ever made a SANFL GF (in the AFL reserves team era) and despite having a team jam packed with AFL players were beaten by Sturt (by 1 point) :).

SANFL has always claimed to be the second best competition behind the AFL and for a time, it's probably true. SA beat WA recently in a state game. Not sure how we faired in previous state games.
Why is the SANFL seen to be stronger than the WAFL? The population in WA is greater than in SA and the gap only continues to widen as WA is growing much faster than SA.

The VFL was always stronger than the WAFL and SANFL due to Victoria's population always being bigger. This obviously saw the talent pool for the VFL being bigger and the league eventually becoming the AFL.

Why is the SANFL seen to be stronger than the WAFL? The population in WA is greater than in SA and the gap only continues to widen as WA is growing much faster than SA.

The VFL was always stronger than the WAFL and SANFL due to Victoria's population always being bigger. This obviously saw the talent pool for the VFL being bigger and the league eventually becoming the AFL.

Much larger salary cap and it is still run very seriously and independently somewhat. The WAFL is still strong but totally run at the discretion of AFL clubs and its management.

If I was a good footballer who was 25 years old and not going to be drafted I would be heading to the WAFL or SANFL to play footy. AFL reserves teams don't care about winning and it's simply somewhere to do some training and devlopment.
This is so true.

I don't understand why anyone would want to play in the VFL unless they had aspirations of getting drafted (and even then you're probably no more likely to do so than if playing in the SANFL or WAFL).

The VFL is very much the haves and have nots (whether or not you're AFL listed). I know of a bloke who was very unlucky not to get drafted, stuck it out in the VFL for 5 years to notch 100 games, and had more than enough being treated as a second class citizen, so went to play at and dominate a local league.

This is so true.

I don't understand why anyone would want to play in the VFL unless they had aspirations of getting drafted (and even then you're probably no more likely to do so than if playing in the SANFL or WAFL).

The VFL is very much the haves and have nots (whether or not you're AFL listed). I know of a bloke who was very unlucky not to get drafted, stuck it out in the VFL for 5 years to notch 100 games, and had more than enough being treated as a second class citizen, so went to play at and dominate a local league.

This is why no one from other WAFL clubs want to play for the Eagles Reserves team. They are not interested in winning and winning still means a huge amount to state league players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe it is the strongest? The WA team has beat the SA team though 4 of their last 5 meetings I believe. As the two premiers never play off how do you decide what is strongest?
Head to head, I think SA is a couple up on us.

I believe they’ve won the last 3 or 4 but we had a similar run against them prior to that. Most results are very close.

H&A crowds are similar.

They’re both decent leagues and are both the next level below the AFL.

As to the debate about who’s better, who cares. I love my Cardies and get along as often as I can. More people should take the time to go to a suburban game. It’s a good afternoon out.

Much larger salary cap and it is still run very seriously and independently somewhat. The WAFL is still strong but totally run at the discretion of AFL clubs and its management.
Sounds like the VFL which is run at the discretion of AFL clubs.
SANFL seems to be the opposite and run at the discretion of their stand alone clubs to the detriment of the AFL clubs.

Sounds like the VFL which is run at the discretion of AFL clubs.
SANFL seems to be the opposite and run at the discretion of their stand alone clubs to the detriment of the AFL clubs.

I wouldn’t say detriment to the AFL clubs, but the stand alone SANFL clubs should take priority over AFL clubs in a SANFL comp.
The SANFL and WAFL should be run for the stand alone clubs benefit nit geared around AFL clubs. The AFL offers AFL clubs enough live and money. They don’t need the state leagues to kiss their ass.

The VFL has rules in place so the clubs can’t build the strongest list possible with more mature players that would potentially dominate the kids on AFL lists that are playing.

It’s become purely a development league. I don’t know what player list rules the WAFL and SANFL have in place but the VFL is a shadow of what it once was and could be again one day if the AFL reserves go to a stand alone comp.

Victoria needs a genuine state league, not this hybrid AFL reserves mess

Loads of VFL players aren't on AFL lists.
And some of the AFL listed players are young kids.

But I agree with you the VFL/NEAFL merger and the total number of teams means the VFL would be the strongest for sure at the moment. The Qld teams are pretty strong.

But five years ago it was probably the SANFL.

Loads of VFL players aren't on AFL lists.
And some of the AFL listed players are young kids.

But I agree with you the VFL/NEAFL merger and the total number of teams means the VFL would be the strongest for sure at the moment. The Qld teams are pretty strong.

But five years ago it was probably the SANFL.

I would be happy to wager the SANFL or WAFL premier would beat the VFL premier.

Pretty much explains why Port were in financial trouble under SANFL control until 2013 and the Crows were not a powerhouse club on par with West Coast.

Both clubs are doing better under AFL control but ultimately should be brought to member control.

It's definitely a possibility.

21 teams in the VFL so the talent is spread out and it's partly a development league as well.

So I wouldn't bet against you.

Unfortunately the VFL is simply a training and development league. Which is exactly what an AFL reserves comp would be also so not sure why anyone wants to watch that.
The WAFL and SANFL clubs priority is winning their state league. Huge difference.

VFL is a development league. Not going to argue whether the SANFL or WAFL is better as I think this is a bit more even than say 10 years ago but they’re clearly better than the VFL.

That being said the Suns B side who are top at the moment are chocker block full of ‘too good for state league not good enough for the AFL’ players and would probably be the best team outside the AFL at the moment.

Back