2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes sense, they'll be on the outer re playing in preferred positions with the full alignment now and they're good enough to get a gig elsewhere.

Both would be safe, they left because their gfs want to live the Melbourne lifestyle (in Seals case the younger Twigley).

Are the telecast arrangements the same for next year (or the same as when I was last in Perth - one match of the round each week on abc)?

Would be great to be able to watch a replay of East Perth each week online.

Was just thinking this the other day. Surely the club will be able to put more effort into footage of the WAFL given how concentrated our players will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No no no no no, West Coast are supporting the WAFL. If the WAFL wanted to support West Coast they would have given us a stand alone team.
You know the WAFL could turn around and say "no AFL players" right? The fact that it's a compromise doesn't mean it isn't support. Unconditional support is not healthy. The WAFL have supported West Coast in a way they deem least likely to impact their competition negatively.

How about you guys make an effort to get to the game and support the WAFL who are supporting West Coast?

In my case, I don't live in Perth.

Although I'm looking forward to the fixtures coming out on 18 dec. be good if an EP v Peel game fell on the same weekend as a west coast home game, would be a good weekend to visit.

You know the WAFL could turn around and say "no AFL players" right? The fact that it's a compromise doesn't mean it isn't support. Unconditional support is not healthy. The WAFL have supported West Coast in a way they deem least likely to impact their competition negatively.

and where would the WAFL be without the AFL clubs.... it is a chicken and egg cycle but still the WAFL is a second tier competition. Suck it up all you old timer WAFL fans and WAFL administrators. The Eagles and Dockers compromised and were happy to play for no points and keep the integrity of the WAFL. Now the WAFL is compromised and Peel could actually make the finals if not win a grandy and East Perth are probably on their way to another 3 straight.

This is the question those admins and WAFL fanbois need to think about, has any player in the last 27 years aimed to play WAFL over AFL?

and where would the WAFL be without the AFL clubs.... it is a chicken and egg cycle but still the WAFL is a second tier competition. Suck it up all you old timer WAFL fans and WAFL administrators. The Eagles and Dockers compromised and were happy to play for no points and keep the integrity of the WAFL. Now the WAFL is compromised and Peel could actually make the finals if not win a grandy and East Perth are probably on their way to another 3 straight.

This is the question those admins and WAFL fanbois need to think about, has any player in the last 27 years aimed to play WAFL over AFL?

I dont know about that, we saw Peel's WAFL team aplay against the Saints at Etihad in the last game of teeh year and they looked pretty bad. ;)

and where would the WAFL be without the AFL clubs....

And where would the AFL be without grass roots football? We'd be a rugby league country.

it is a chicken and egg cycle but still the WAFL is a second tier competition.

Of course they are, that's why they allow AFL players to play in their competition.

Suck it up all you old timer WAFL fans and WAFL administrators.

I'm not an "old timer WAFL fan". I merely support community and grassroots football.

The Eagles and Dockers compromised and were happy to play for no points and keep the integrity of the WAFL.

That was NEVER the intention. They always intended to play for points.

Now the WAFL is compromised and Peel could actually make the finals if not win a grandy and East Perth are probably on their way to another 3 straight.

Yes, it is compromised. Thanks for acknowledging the sacrifice the WAFL has made to accommodate the local AFL sides. However, it's not as compromised as it would be if the AFL sides had their own sides.

That's irrelevant. The WAFL plays an important role in developing juniors and provides the prime state based competition for community football. You don't make the AFL without being developed within the WAFL system from a young age and playing WAFL league, reserves or colts football.

Your post is absolutely pathetic.

I'm under no illusions that the WAFL is a second tier competition but that doesn't mean it's needs and wants are irrelevant. To suggest as such is offensive to WA football.

The number of telecast East Perth games last year dropped when Channel 7 became a major sponsor. Think they had 3 of the first 6 or 7 games then nothing until the finals.

Considering the ratings dropped well below 10k last year it is a big year for the WAFL. Another poor year and there will be no tv coverage at all.

And where would the AFL be without grass roots football? We'd be a rugby league country.

Of course they are, that's why they allow AFL players to play in their competition.

I'm not an "old timer WAFL fan". I merely support community and grassroots football.

That was NEVER the intention. They always intended to play for points.

Yes, it is compromised. Thanks for acknowledging the sacrifice the WAFL has made to accommodate the local AFL sides. However, it's not as compromised as it would be if the AFL sides had their own sides.

That's irrelevant. The WAFL plays an important role in developing juniors and provides the prime state based competition for community football. You don't make the AFL without being developed within the WAFL system from a young age and playing WAFL league, reserves or colts football.

Your post is absolutely pathetic.

I'm under no illusions that the WAFL is a second tier competition but that doesn't mean it's needs and wants are irrelevant. To suggest as such is offensive to WA football.

The AFL clubs are the two most important clubs that reside in this state. Yes a WAFL competition is required but bitch please the success of WA's two AFL clubs is more important and that results in stand alone teams.

The two AFL clubs put forward a model where they wouldnt play for points and it was knocked back.

to be honest i dont understand how the development of juniors and grass roots would drop off, Yes the WAFL clubs do a tonne but I am sure some sort of financial agreement to help this out would be implemented. Theres a need for an under age competition and i am sure that it would still flourish

Thanks ian dargie 2.0 - thats how i feel about your post, a complete and utter waste of bullshit.

The WAFL plays an important role in developing juniors and provides the prime state based competition for community football. You don't make the AFL without being developed within the WAFL system from a young age and playing WAFL league, reserves or colts football.

The WAFL isn't exactly grass roots football. At least in my eyes. It certainly has a community feel and their job is too scout and develop talent. They aren't however the origin of talent and that's reflected in the relatively short period of time that AFL players drafted from U18's spend at these clubs. They also aren't adept at fostering culture at a junior level, most community clubs stand on their own feet in that regard and are subject to cultural, social and economic issues that prevent kids from ever taking interest in football.

You don't have to have your junior development programs run through you're state league competition. The reason why it's worked pretty well in WA is because the WAFL bought into their new role pretty quickly. It doesn't mean that this system will last forever though.

While Victorian model isn't something that can be introduced at the moment that might change if the WAFL degenerates further and some clubs start to become even more unsustainable. I can see a situation where some WAFL clubs collapse, some end up merging with each other to survive and then see two clubs becoming subsidiaries to a local AFL teams. It wouldn't be a bad outcome if we had a second tier national competition emerge with conferences. The increased AFL involvement and a smaller pool of players would improve the quality of football found in the tier below.

You'd then need a TAC cup style competition to develop and foster talent and U21's and city armatures to fill the void for those playing beyond Colts. I think it's something that can potentially work better than the current system because it places much more emphasis on the juniors. There is also the opportunity to develop zones currently neglected by WAFL clubs preoccupied with with their "heartland" and engage better with community clubs.

I'm not saying there aren't other suitable models in WA EasternHills. However, the proposal the AFL clubs put forward was operating under this wider model so I'm not going to expand on such models.

My delve into the function of the WAFL competition was a direct reply to its dismissal, not relative to the AFL proposal. If the AFL proposal featured a complete restructure of WA football, it becomes a relevant point but it doesn't. So facts are, those functions are performed by the WAFL and the AFL proposal had no intention of changing that.

And what about the people who support the other WAFL clubs? Would be miffed if ABC became solely focused on East Perth and Peel and forgot about the others

sure, it will affect about a dozen 70 year olds who still follow wafl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back