2nds WAFL Watch '11 continued - Keep Watching

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well im worried. I would say that the majority of players that end up midfield stars in the afl are at the very least starting to really impress in the wafl by now. Swift as others has said has been solid. dalziell is solid at wafl level... Im really doubting whether swift will even end up a good afl player these days. I dunno im starting to loose a fair bit of hope. Next year could be just about do or die for him.

wrt swift, it seems claremont play him to his weaknesses rather than strengths. his strength is his play in traffic, but he's always outside. add to that he's probably 3rd in line on midfield options there too. i feel that the more he plays inside getting first hands on the ball, the more his confidence increases and the better the rest of his game becomes. also, still feel there's something not quite right with his running and explosiveness. perhas he needs more short sprint training, because he seemed a whole lot quicker when first drafted than he is now.

Swift is quicker. I'd like to here what the eagles are expecting from him, his been very consistent.

Swift isn't the type of player who is going to dominate WAFL level with 35 touches every week, his high 20's is ample for the work he does and the smarts around the contest he brings. He is also the type of player who plays that sort of footy every week, regardless if it would be at WAFL level or at AFL level.

I would very much like to see him get a gig for West Coast again, play him for a month and then judge him then. Wonder if West Coast have anything lined up for him before he does get picked because on form he should have been picked before Masten, at the very least.

Swift is quicker. I'd like to here what the eagles are expecting from him, his been very consistent.

Swift isn't the type of player who is going to dominate WAFL level with 35 touches every week, his high 20's is ample for the work he does and the smarts around the contest he brings. He is also the type of player who plays that sort of footy every week, regardless if it would be at WAFL level or at AFL level.

I would very much like to see him get a gig for West Coast again, play him for a month and then judge him then. Wonder if West Coast have anything lined up for him before he does get picked because on form he should have been picked before Masten, at the very least.

It sounds like Swift does his best work in close which is a problem for him ATM as we currently have Priddis and Kerr doing the inside grunt work. If Swift was an emergency on the weekend he probably would have got a game. He isn't as effective playing outside and his general awareness of who is around him is a work in progress and we have others better than him for this role. He also isn't a defensive mid like say S Selwood who can do both defensive and offensive roles.

Swift has had several minor injury setbacks in his first couple of years and we always knew he would take a bit longer due to his pre draft injuries / knee ops. I think Swift playing WAFL is a set plan just to get games into him at senior level and the fact that others are in good form is keeping him out.

Not a bad position to be in.:thumbsu:

I know Swift has got the talent, but I also am starting to lose hope in him.
Just doesn't have disposal that is worthy of an AFL side at the moment, whatever happened to the guy who polled 3 votes in 2009, I have no idea!
Some supporters are very one-eyed, to the extent that can't see his flaws as a problem, the guy has bad disposal, his awareness is dodgy and he makes high risk decisions, which would be fine if he had good disposal and awareness, but they just don't overlap. To me this is a serious problem.

To the people who say he still needs size, clearly after being here 3 years and barely putting on a kg, the club thinks he is fine. So no problem there I would assume.

I am happy to be proved wrong as always, I was very much a Swift fan early on, but he seems like a completely different player these days.

we have alot of people who havent even seen him commenting he doesnt have good disposal. people still expect piercing kicks. it isnt, never was and never will be. only about have a dozen people in afl have it. that doesnt mean he cant play.

besides these days all you have to do is bomb it down the line anyway. precision kicking was required in previous 3 years. or you have to be able to bomb it 70m to a general vicinity of your ruckman, get it over the zone so that your own players can run onto it and go coast to coast.

regarding swift, people have just putting him on a such a high pedestal (based on one game where we flogged the opposition) that they can only see bad things and not waht he actually is. i'll just be happy if he becomes a regular say like embley. all this superstar expectations is just fantasy. brent stanton syndrome.

Both players, as all do, have been sent back to the WAFL to improve/develop certain aspects of their game. That doesn't mean they are more deficient than other players, just they see them playing certain roles.

Here's a further comment about Dalziell's game:
Dalziell has racked up bigger possession tallies in other games without exerting as much influence over a contest as he did on Saturday.

If players keep developing as the club wants then that can only be a good thing, because it means you have players on the periphery putting pressure on those in the 22 and if they come into the 22 they are ready to perform.

Both players, as all do, have been sent back to the WAFL to improve/develop certain aspects of their game. That doesn't mean they are more deficient than other players, just they see them playing certain roles.

Here's a further comment about Dalziell's game:

If players keep developing as the club wants then that can only be a good thing, because it means you have players on the periphery putting pressure on those in the 22 and if they come into the 22 they are ready to perform.

they may be ready to perform but sitting on the bench for a 3 quarters as a reserve seems to affect the confidence a little bit .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This week's telecast game is a horrible one, Sharks v Swans, but at least you get to see Stevens, Dalziell, Brennan and possibly Houlihan. :thumbsu:

I'll just go to the Shark pit and drown my sorrows, oh, and annoy a few East Freo supporters, of course. :)

Notte playing swannies?

Ironically CHB, like the Eagles were trying to get Swans to play him, but they refused, said he was a forward.... :) Notte with Hansen in the team, he isn't. Hansen out, he may be pushed forward, but I suspect we'll bring in Simpson and keep Notte at CHB, he's been doing quite well there, IMO. Also makes him get in the game.

Still a big fan of his potential. Hopefully we can rookie him next year... that or he'll be with GWS...

Didn't we want to rookie him but he turned it down?

I heard that happened, then Freo also asked him and he again said no.

Any truth to that?

Truth to the second one, re: Freo. We were contemplating rookieing him, but according to RE, I think (sorry RE:p), we didn't like his attitude because he wouldn't transfer to Perth Footy Club. Something along those lines anyway.

Still a big fan of his potential. Hopefully we can rookie him next year... that or he'll be with GWS...

Another poster assures us GWS won't rookie him, not interested. We shall wait and see, I guess.

Having watched Swift at pre-season training,

his games in the NAB Cup

His games in the WAFL.

hIS TRAINING NOW.

in my opinion, I'M TELLIN YA, the only reason why he is not playing like late 2009

IS HIS HAIR

He is fit but his hair is TOOOOOOOOOO long at the front.

It always threatens to go into his eyes and so an enormous amount of gell is needed to keep it away from his eyes, which needs attention during games.

I believe without him knowing it, it is distracting him.
In the NAB cup games his hair was SHORTER, more the length of late 2009, and we saw abit of the real SWIFT.

For this reason Swift must never be traded, just given a haircut

The back is fine and a potential for a superb mullet to fit in with our old style football

Can't see how Swift gets back into our team. Might be trade bait. Which is a shame as I am a fan. Hopefully he reaches the potential that he showed he can have.

If Kerr misses Swift should be played in the guts where he is best suited. Got to see if he's got a future with us and to date better players have kept him out of the side. Which is good!:thumbsu:

Surely our team could be better with Lewis Stevenson in it? Is in good form and has a lethal long kick.

Surely the price of his stock is rising in today's game?

Difference was, Masten was clearly a starting mid for Rd1. He came back after injury and in his second game was a clear BOG. He may have been a week early for some, but was always going to come back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back