2nds WAFL Watch '11 continued - Keep Watching

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
SUNDAY TIMES REVIEW

B Sheppard - A solid performance . Appeared to suffer a leg injury in the first half . 11k 5h 5m 1.1
C Masten - Won many contested possessions in another impressive display . 15 k 12 h 4m 1.0
K Stevens - BOG . Hard at the ball and the opponent .21k 7h 7m 0.1
J Brennan - Strong in defence but made a few errors kicking out from goal . 9k 6h 2m
T Houlihan - Quiet after a strong start to the match 9k 5h 8 m
A Striijk - Worked hard in the midfield . 17k 5h 14m
JON - Disappointing display across HF 8k 2h 3m
S Lycett -Provided a good target up forward with two goals . 8k 1h 3m 2.0
J Jones - Worked hard all evening in the midfield 12 k 5 h 2 m 1.1
B Wilson - Solid across HB 7k 5h 2m
C Wilson - Made the most of limited opportunities 9k 4h 3m 3 HO 2.0

A Striijk got good numbers and uses the ball well , Masten and Stevens are in great form .

Awesome to have players like Masten and Stevens playing so well in reserves. Very handy come finals and you would expect Kerr will get another rest before the finals and one of these two will come in.

Stevens finds the ball so easily at WAFL level. He benefited a lot from Griffen dominating in the ruck for East Freo but he positions himself very nicely.

He's so big too. I hope we manage to breed some thuggish qualities into him. He's quite silky but if he could add a rougher element to his game he'd be damn frightening. At this point he sort of doesn't know how to use his strength.

Just some quick notes on that game:

Brennan: A bit off the pace yet but he seems to have a bit to work with. Good courage, tries hard, good athletically. Just looks quite raw still.

Houlihan: Didn't really get into the game but his disposal is still sometimes below average, which is a worry for him.

Masten: Really like the way he opens up space with handballs. He's pretty smart like that and I get the impression that he'd rather make a nice handball than kick it inside 50. Was very solid against West Perth.

Stevens: I mentioned before but he finds the ball so well. Starts on ball for EF. Only a matter of time before he's a regular at West Coast with Masten.

Strijk: I didn't see him do too much. I get the impression that he's a bit of an impact player at WAFL level and I can't imagine Worsfold would like that at AFL level. Does some nice s**t though, obviously.

I feel like I'm missing somebody but I don't know who...Anyway, there are my thoughts after watching the game on telly.

WAFL online saying Swift with 17 touches at half time.

Stevenson, Broome and Weedon with 8, 1 and 6 touches respectively

full time swift 34 19 k 15 hb 3m 3t 7 insude 50s . stevenson 22. wilkes 6 goals . hansen 6 goals. for tigers next blackwell 28. for swans roberts 22.

Looks like Swift had a good game / I think he just needs another preseason under his belt and he'll be right to go. Weedon also in the best for Claremont -- great to see / another who will come on next year.

Looks like Swift had a good game / I think he just needs another preseason under his belt and he'll be right to go. Weedon also in the best for Claremont -- great to see / another who will come on next year.

yep, needs to have a breakout season. 15 tackles between Weedon and Broome, thats good to see!

did anyone see the game? Swift seemed to have more inside 50's than usual, just curious on his effectiveness by foot.

Agree with Swift he's a preseason away, he may even get a chance this week if they choose to rest Shuey with his tight Hamstring although his recent AFL form has not been good.
I have noticed he seems to decelerate before kicking the ball, you don't have the time to do that at AFL level.
I still think he will be a very good AFL footballer but I do find it surprising that he hasn't grasped the opportunities that have come his way this year.

McGovern played this week , first game for some time .

McGovern 3k 1h 2m 3.0

Hamp 15 disposals 1.1

McGovern with a 100 % record for kicks to goals ratio ,..... Haha no point wasting energy to kick your 3 goals . Close game in the reserves with SD , 2 point win to Claremont .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep, needs to have a breakout season. 15 tackles between Weedon and Broome, thats good to see!

did anyone see the game? Swift seemed to have more inside 50's than usual, just curious on his effectiveness by foot.

I actually thought Swift was average, but good in the first, when he was played inside, and then the last quarter. Was a bit wasteful when in the open spaces but nowhere near as wasteful as the butchers of Bassendean. :mad:

Didn't leave the oval until 6'ish and saw the Claremont boys come back over the road from the pool and he's a big unit. Muscle definition seems to be coming along in the upper body and he's as tall as the kp players. There's still a fair bit to work with, I reckon.

I actually thought Swift was average, but good in the first, when he was played inside, and then the last quarter. Was a bit wasteful when in the open spaces but nowhere near as wasteful as the butchers of Bassendean. :mad:

Didn't leave the oval until 6'ish and saw the Claremont boys come back over the road from the pool and he's a big unit. Muscle definition seems to be coming along in the upper body and he's as tall as the kp players. There's still a fair bit to work with, I reckon.

When he plays inside for Claremont what's the different between that and when he plays AFL?

Yeah he sure has heaps to work with still, but no doubt decent sized kid. he is pretty tall, why couldn't he play the HFF position? he has the size, if he could just bulk up a bit and improves his kicking could work imo.

When he plays inside for Claremont what's the different between that and when he plays AFL?

Yeah he sure has heaps to work with still, but no doubt decent sized kid. he is pretty tall, why couldn't he play the HFF position? he has the size, if he could just bulk up a bit and improves his kicking could work imo.

My opinion is that when he's inside, like Masten, he does the reflex things very well. When given more time to think usually makes him overthink. I'm sure the instructions to him were to work on the outside part of his game and given a pre-season more on his kicking that should see more improvement. What I like is he does not hesitate to kick on his left. Even if they make an error you continue to encourage to take 'risks', it's a positive IMO.

What's been the deal with McGovern? Has he been injured or just not good enough to get a game of reserves?

McGovern was injured pre-season, or early in the season, and I think has only come back in the past month or so.

My opinion is that when he's inside, like Masten, he does the reflex things very well. When given more time to think usually makes him overthink. I'm sure the instructions to him were to work on the outside part of his game and given a pre-season more on his kicking that should see more improvement. What I like is he does not hesitate to kick on his left. Even if they make an error you continue to encourage to take 'risks', it's a positive IMO.

I like seeing him use his left foot, he has confidence in his abilities and willing to take risks as you said. But if we have guys like Shuey, Kerr, Priddis and scooter where could he play? because he won't get that primary inside midfield role.

Just bit of a worry, cause i rate him and he is good along with masten with their hands. Just not sure about the opportunities.

Problem is half that height is neck!

I was amazed he was 190 plus, certainly doesn't play tall

When he fills out he is going to be a monster inside midfielder IMO. Add another pre-season a bit more fitness and if he can keep himself switched on when he kicks he will be fine, I think he gets a tad lazy with his concentration sometimes.

I like seeing him use his left foot, he has confidence in his abilities and willing to take risks as you said. But if we have guys like Shuey, Kerr, Priddis and scooter where could he play? because he won't get that primary inside midfield role.

I would back him to take it off Priddis as early as next year.

In saying that.. do we even have a "primary clearance player"? Shuey, Scooter, Kerr, Priddis, Gaff, Embley all win 4+ clearances on there day.

I would back him to take it off Priddis as early as next year.

In saying that.. do we even have a "primary clearance player"? Shuey, Scooter, Kerr, Priddis, Gaff, Embley all win 4+ clearances on there day.

good point, but Priddis isn't just a clearance player. He tackles and has improved his work around the ground. Swift won't be taking his spot until he improves his kicking and sticks tackles..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back