2nds WAFL Watch 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst I am not watching the game, I am enthused by Taberner. He may not have any goals but he has taken 11 marks 1/2 way through the last. He also has 4 inside 50s and no behinds. Makes me wonder how much he's actually playing as a forward today. Anyone able to comment?

Yeah, I reckon we have our lead up forward for the future sorted. Now we need a full-forward type.
Couldn't listen unfortunately because Sport fm streaming is garbage.
Love Charlie Cameron from Swan Districts.

WAFL Stats

League
Crichton: 29d, 11k, 18h, 6m, 3t, 1I50, 1.0
Moller: 13d, 5k, 8h, 4m, 3t, 19HO, 1.0
Taberner: 15d, 13k, 2h, 14m :eek:, 5I50, 0.1

Schloithe: 25d, 16k, 9h, 4m, 5t, 7I50, 2.3

Howson: 6d, 4k, 2h, 2m, 2t, 4HO, 2I50, 0.1

Howson from what I saw on ABC1 (2nd and 3rd quarter) was pretty slack: was half-jogging for the most part, some sloppy disposal and at one point in the 3rd quarter - when the ball rebounded of the deck - didn't even put in a half-hearted jump - tried to use his height to flap a wayward hand at it...

yakkaman has a good point - all young players, esp. 195cm KPFs are entitled to bad games. Just the absolute laconicity of Howson worries me a little... I can see why he doesn't get a heap of possession, which hurts if you don't kick goals. Very skinny too, although bulk will surely come (unless you're Tony Notte). Confident the coaching staff will rectify this though.

Just a small sample (and it was just his 2nd league game anyway), so I wouldn't get too worried yet... that game was not of the proportions of a certain Jack Anthony game anyway.

WAFL Stats

Howson from what I saw on ABC1 (2nd and 3rd quarter) was pretty slack: was half-jogging for the most part, some sloppy disposal and at one point in the 3rd quarter - when the ball rebounded of the deck - didn't even put in a half-hearted jump - tried to use his height to flap a wayward hand at it...

yakkaman has a good point - all young players, esp. 195cm KPFs are entitled to bad games. Just the absolute laconicity of Howson worries me a little... I can see why he doesn't get a heap of possession, which hurts if you don't kick goals. Very skinny too, although bulk will surely come (unless you're Tony Notte). Confident the coaching staff will rectify this though.

Just a small sample (and it was just his 2nd league game anyway), so I wouldn't get too worried yet... that game was not of the proportions of a certain Jack Anthony game anyway.

Fair enough observations but i think he will turn into a much harder working player than he currently is.
Seems liek it's been the clubs main goal and maybe why he wasnt playing league, when reaching league though he may have thought after last week "I've earned my spot" and just gone back to being lazy like the start of year.
Work-rate is something that can be worked on.
You cant put 15cm onto somebody with good work-rate though.

Fair enough observations but i think he will turn into a much harder working player than he currently is.
Seems liek it's been the clubs main goal and maybe why he wasnt playing league, when reaching league though he may have thought after last week "I've earned my spot" and just gone back to being lazy like the start of year.
Work-rate is something that can be worked on.
You cant put 15cm onto somebody with good work-rate though.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh on him..but he did look lazy and not too committed. Still time will tell and it is not as if I have a great footballing history behind me.

Howson played league last week against West Perth and was one of the better players on the ground, worked hard to get to alot of contests, took the ruck for patches in the game and ended up kicking 2 goals.

Today, he had a wake up call. There were no easy kicks out there and the club demands of any player is that they compete, it is a non negotiable. Today there were reminders as to why Alex was taken as a rookie and not an ND player, he was a full forward at colts level who had Marco Paparone creating a paddock in front of him last year and space to work in.

He simply has to learn to play a more contested brand of football.

Alex has shown steady improvement, his back half to the year, up until today's effort has been largely positive, this will serve as a timely reminder how much hard work he has in front of him to make the most of his talent.

He has excellent speed, an ability to read the play well and last week was one of the hardest working players measured at the club. I have heard whispers of illness, that's an excuse that can only work so many times, not great today, but the body of work he has put in this year, particularly the last half of the year suggests he is capable of contributing.

In regards to Garlett, I sincerely believe he will struggle to get picked up again which is a great shame, his talent is undeniable, I don't see either WA club pulling the trigger on him so he may find luck elsewhere.

Others of note in the colts was the performance of Jonathon Marsh, he's an athletic freak, just has a turn of speed that is remarkable for a player of his size, he will slot into an AFL program and blossom well I believe.

Still very raw with his marking, has a tendency to lead under the ball a little too often, probably because he knows he can burn off anyone when he turns them around, at the next level however, that trick will be harder to pull off, but it's Buddy's main go so we'll see what happens. Kicking has good penetration, just a bit of a spray can and he's hopelessly one sided, a common trait of those with elite speed.

I don't rate Allir Allir, just doesn't read the ball all that well in the air.

Really hope someone gives Green a go, he's got some limitations with his kicking, and he's not overly big, though not tiny, but my word he can find the footy and has sensational hands in tight. He had the ball 23 times in the first half, was pulled for the rest of the match, then played a full game of reserves. So he's got a tank.

Aiden Anderson will be one to watch over the coming seasons, as will Firns from Swan Districts, sorry to rattle on.

Mitch is a bit busy to play colts at the mo

Well played.

979137-dtstory-mitchell-marsh.jpg

Really hope someone gives Green a go, he's got some limitations with his kicking, and he's not overly big, though not tiny, but my word he can find the footy and has sensational hands in tight. He had the ball 23 times in the first half, was pulled for the rest of the match, then played a full game of reserves. So he's got a tank.

Aiden Anderson will be one to watch over the coming seasons, as will Firns from Swan Districts, sorry to rattle on.

Had a look at green's stats and my god does he sound like Lachie Neale.
such a dissapointment that we'd have to pick another player who just attracts roasts.

Would be keen on pikcing him up but not to early, similarly to how we got the man himself.

Any comments on how the young fella Brad Walsh looks for Peel? He'd be for the 2014 draft. Just played his 3rd league game at 16 (or 17).

He needs to build his tank, maybe even slim down a tad, he's ridiculously solid for a kid his age.

Very good at the clearance, strong core and very good reactions in tight, can get a little exposed on the spread with foot speed, he's not slow, but he tires quickly.

Would like to see him push forward more often and hit the scoreboard, real solid player though, good prospect.

Howson played league last week against West Perth and was one of the better players on the ground, worked hard to get to alot of contests, took the ruck for patches in the game and ended up kicking 2 goals.

Today, he had a wake up call. There were no easy kicks out there and the club demands of any player is that they compete, it is a non negotiable. Today there were reminders as to why Alex was taken as a rookie and not an ND player, he was a full forward at colts level who had Marco Paparone creating a paddock in front of him last year and space to work in.

He simply has to learn to play a more contested brand of football.

Alex has shown steady improvement, his back half to the year, up until today's effort has been largely positive, this will serve as a timely reminder how much hard work he has in front of him to make the most of his talent.

He has excellent speed, an ability to read the play well and last week was one of the hardest working players measured at the club. I have heard whispers of illness, that's an excuse that can only work so many times, not great today, but the body of work he has put in this year, particularly the last half of the year suggests he is capable of contributing.

In regards to Garlett, I sincerely believe he will struggle to get picked up again which is a great shame, his talent is undeniable, I don't see either WA club pulling the trigger on him so he may find luck elsewhere.

Others of note in the colts was the performance of Jonathon Marsh, he's an athletic freak, just has a turn of speed that is remarkable for a player of his size, he will slot into an AFL program and blossom well I believe.

Still very raw with his marking, has a tendency to lead under the ball a little too often, probably because he knows he can burn off anyone when he turns them around, at the next level however, that trick will be harder to pull off, but it's Buddy's main go so we'll see what happens. Kicking has good penetration, just a bit of a spray can and he's hopelessly one sided, a common trait of those with elite speed.

I don't rate Allir Allir, just doesn't read the ball all that well in the air.

Do you see Marsh as a good fit for Freo and what stage of the draft do you see him getting taken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Riewoldt comparisons looking good with Tabs, I reckon we have something pretty special developing here.
He's more in the Ash Hansen mold for mine, will never have Riewoldts power or polish. With that elite running capacity to present and his sticky hands we have something to work with. 14 marks as a forward in a side getting pounded is astonishing.

He's more in the Ash Hansen mold for mine, will never have Riewoldts power or polish. With that elite running capacity to present and his sticky hands we have something to work with. 14 marks as a forward in a side getting pounded is astonishing.
That's endearing. He's bringing back the lead! I've got a huge amount of respect for Nick Riewoldt since I moved to Melbs. When you're up high and see how much he runs, it's pretty staggering. He runs to the opposite 50 arc, defends and leads all over the place, and somehow always gets back to kick a bag. Barely sits on the bench, too.

So as per usual, relating him to Riewoldt is hyperbolic and based on two or three similarities. Lots of 30-game players have great hands and high endurance.

Whenever I went to watch Souths last year, or they were on tele, I loved Schloithe. Kid is so talented and seems to have a really good build already. Love the way he sharks the footy and he has a beautiful disposal on him. Clubs like Melbourne and St Kilda would kill to have our lot... Michie, Schloithe, Mello, Sweatcliffe, Croz, Sheridan... they'd be week in, week out there.

I hope Schloithe is ok he has a season (all be it end of season) ending injury. It sounds like he is playing really solid footy in the WAFL and still at a young age should have a fair bit of improving to do.

That's endearing. He's bringing back the lead! I've got a huge amount of respect for Nick Riewoldt since I moved to Melbs. When you're up high and see how much he runs, it's pretty staggering. He runs to the opposite 50 arc, defends and leads all over the place, and somehow always gets back to kick a bag. Barely sits on the bench, too.

Our forwards like to travel around as well - regularly pop up in defense, occasionally in deep. Mayne took a defensive mark deep in the D50 during the port game from memory. Seems to be the new hallmark of our team.- an insane workrate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back